Tavon Austin

This is the place for team advice - should I make this trade, should I draft that player, etc.
Team Tacos
MVP
MVP

Tavon Austin

Postby Team Tacos » Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:04 pm

What does everyone think of Tavon these days? Just curious, haven't heard anything about him in a while. I've not been real impressed with him but he is on the trading block in my league. Just saw this blurb on rotoworld, kind of interesting:

"Brian Quick hints the Rams will have a more creative offense in 2015. "Oh man, we have some stuff," Quick said of new OC Frank Cignetti. "It’s going to take some time, but it’s coming. (Cignetti) has a lot up his sleeve." Ex-OC Brian Schottenheimer was brutally vanilla, something Quick is tacitly acknowledging. One of Cignetti's most-important tasks is finding something for the Rams to do with the No. 8 overall pick of the 2013 draft, Tavon Austin. Schottenheimer never came close to figuring out Austin's ideal role."
WR: OBJ, Dez, AJG, K. Allen, Crowder, K. White;
RB: Gurley, Montgomery, Lacy; QB: Wilson, Goff; TE: Eifert;
DL: Bosa, Danielle H., Ansah, Frank Clark;
LB: Telvin, Kwon, Collins, Jatavis, D. Lee; DEF: KC;
DB: Burnett, C-Dix, S. Davis; K:

Rookie Bench: C. Coleman, Doctson, N. Spence, Jaylon, Jack;
IR:

Start 1 QB, 1 RB, 2 RB/WR/TE, 2 WR, 1 WR/TE, 1 TE, 1 K, 1 DEF, 4 LB, 3 DL, 4 DB
12 teams, Non-PPR, tackle heavy w/ TFL.

RenMasters
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Re: Tavon Austin

Postby RenMasters » Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:49 pm

I traded Austin and C. Sims for the 2.1 this year. Ended up getting Jaelen Strong. Meh... We'll see how it plays out.
Team Rebuilding - 12 Team PPR
QB (1) - A. Luck, D. Carr, R. Tannehill
RB (1-2) - T. Gurley, C. McCaffery, M. Breida, A. Ekeler, N. Hines, E. McGuire,
WR (3-4) - D. Adams, M.Evans, M. Jones, N. Agholor, M. Bryant, R. Grant, R Higgins
TE (1) - E. Engram, G. Everett, G. Olsen

JJDubya
MVP
MVP

Postby JJDubya » Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:53 pm

Ya tough to say. Maybe Austin is the biggest beneficiary of Gurley's arrival (assuming he lives up to the hype). His value is definitely at its absolute lowest right now so if you could get home for a third it would be a relative bargain. They have to try and manufacture touches and Shula is fantasy death to an offense.

olemon1169
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby olemon1169 » Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:49 pm

I'm expecting more of the same out of tavon with the exception of fewer to no backfield snaps now that Gurley is in town. Every player and coordinator interviewed preseason always says something praising non-marquee players and talks about their new kick bleep offense or swagger and this is the year they put it together yada yada yada

FiremanEd
Legend
Legend

Postby FiremanEd » Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:53 pm

I don't even see anything mentioned by anyone about Tavon in that blurb...except Roto and they state the obvious. We have no idea what that OC will do and if Tavon will be a focus. Even the comment relative to what they had leaves a potentially low ceiling.

I'm not buying any hype from that. You either believe Tavon is a buy at his low price or not. The Roto piece is irrelevant. Me, I'm not buying.

Witchit Straws
Starter
Starter

Postby Witchit Straws » Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:07 pm

too small....
Garrapolo, Trubisky,
Mixon, R Freeman, T Cohen, L Miller, Mack, C Thompson, Breida, Powell, Abdullah
Arob, Landry, Cupp, Chris Godwin, Lockett, Zay Jones, Taywan Taylor,
Kelce, Kroft, Jesse James

Team Tacos
MVP
MVP

Postby Team Tacos » Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:18 am

FiremanEd wrote:I don't even see anything mentioned by anyone about Tavon in that blurb...except Roto and they state the obvious. We have no idea what that OC will do and if Tavon will be a focus. Even the comment relative to what they had leaves a potentially low ceiling.

I'm not buying any hype from that. You either believe Tavon is a buy at his low price or not. The Roto piece is irrelevant. Me, I'm not buying.
Yeah I agree. It's speculation at best. I'd rather take my chances on a third round rookie.
WR: OBJ, Dez, AJG, K. Allen, Crowder, K. White;
RB: Gurley, Montgomery, Lacy; QB: Wilson, Goff; TE: Eifert;
DL: Bosa, Danielle H., Ansah, Frank Clark;
LB: Telvin, Kwon, Collins, Jatavis, D. Lee; DEF: KC;
DB: Burnett, C-Dix, S. Davis; K:

Rookie Bench: C. Coleman, Doctson, N. Spence, Jaylon, Jack;
IR:

Start 1 QB, 1 RB, 2 RB/WR/TE, 2 WR, 1 WR/TE, 1 TE, 1 K, 1 DEF, 4 LB, 3 DL, 4 DB
12 teams, Non-PPR, tackle heavy w/ TFL.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:02 am

I'm interested in the Rams offense. It's one of the offenses I'm anticipating the most this season. There's a lot of youth and talent there and Schottenheimer was poor at utilizing it. Foles should be competent enough to give them revitalized play at QB.

As far as Austin goes, he showed some alright flashes his rookie season whenever Bradford was at the helm. Last season he was a decoy over anything. I don't understand why they don't use him as a possession receiver and chain mover to set up the deep ball for guys like Quick and Britt.

Bo Jackson
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Bo Jackson » Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:10 am

I took over an orphan team in 2013. My first ever picks was Austin at 1.05 in 2013. I'm holding him for one more year. Even a couple of those 50 yard TD's that he had his rookie year would be nice. Then I might be able to get a 2nd rounder for him.

I really hope he breaks out
12 Team PPR - The NorCal Hoe Down - 30 Man Roster - QB, 2RB, 2WR, Flex, TE, K, 2LB, 2CB, S, DL, Def Flex
QB: Carr, Goff
RB: Ezekiel, M Gordon, Freeman, Crowell,J Jackson, B Scott
WR: B Cooks, K Allen, AROB, A Cooper, S Watkins, DJ Moore, C Coleman, T Austin, T Quinn, C Williams, R Switzer
TE: Ertz, ASJ
LB: Z Brown, D Jones, M Jack, Schobert
CB: Slay
S: Adams
DL: Clowney, Hunter
Picks- 2019- 2-1rst 3-2nds, 2020- 3-1rst 2-2nds

SpartyOn
All Pro
All Pro

Postby SpartyOn » Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:13 am

He's a gadget type of player and typically those types of player are only productive when they play with great QB's. He has not very good Nick Foles under center.

bonscott
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby bonscott » Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:08 am

He's a great buy low if you can get him cheap. He's now entering his 3rd season...ya know when WRs used to "break out", not this instant break out rookie year stuff of late. So who knows. For a 3rd or 4th rounder, why not? Just depends which lotto you want to play. As an Austin owner I'm certainly holding just to see if something shakes out. If still nothing this year then he'll probably be waiver wire fodder next.

JetsFan91
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby JetsFan91 » Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:55 am

This is a very very slight possibility, but I look at Austin and I see some Brandin Cooks in him. The Rams drafted Sean Mannion this year, probably to replace Foles after this season, which maybe he plays well, maybe not. If not, Mannion probably takes over, potentially even before the season ends. If that happens, I think Austin might start getting forced the ball to some extent a la Cooks/Mannion connection in college. I would buy low now. I think he will be worth it at the end of this season...

I know this is a slim chance. I just have a gut feeling. I am probably wrong about it though...
12tm PPR, Start 1QB,1RB,1WR,1TE,4FLEX,

Team 1 (Start '15):
QB: Stafford, E. Manning,
RB: L. Bell, C. Hyde, Foster, R. Jennings, L. Blount, Ajayi, Riddick, DWilly
WR: AJ Green, E. Sanders, E. Decker, VJax, Mi. Floyd, M. Wallace, Wheaton, D. Smelter, C. Shorts, D. Street, Willie Snead
TE: J. Graham, K. Rudolph, G. Escobar, Tamme
2016 Picks: 2nd, 3rd (x2)

Team 2 (Start '15):
QB: Romo, Rivers, Fitzmagic
RB: CJ Anderson, Gio, JStew, D. Cobb, D. Freeman, C. Polk, R. Hillman, DWilly
WR: AJ Green, A. Cooper, G. Tate, Maclin, Funchess, Dorsett, Quick, Ty Montgomery, C. Shorts, B. Coleman
TE: Donnell, L. Green, V. Green, G. Escobar
2016 Picks: 1st, 2nd (x2), 3rd, 4th

kmbryant09
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby kmbryant09 » Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:06 pm

JetsFan91 wrote:This is a very very slight possibility, but I look at Austin and I see some Brandin Cooks in him. The Rams drafted Sean Mannion this year, probably to replace Foles after this season, which maybe he plays well, maybe not. If not, Mannion probably takes over, potentially even before the season ends. If that happens, I think Austin might start getting forced the ball to some extent a la Cooks/Mannion connection in college. I would buy low now. I think he will be worth it at the end of this season...

I know this is a slim chance. I just have a gut feeling. I am probably wrong about it though...
Just curious, why do you have Mannion rostered in a 12-team, 1-QB league?!?
10-team/.5 PPR Q RR WWW TE FF
QB: J. Hurts, K. Murray
RB: Bi. Robinson, D. Henry, D. Achane, , J. Cook, Z. Charbonnet, T. Chandler, R. Johnson, K. Mitchell, J.K. Dobbins, T. Allgeier, J. McLaughlin, S. Tucker, T. Bigsby
WR: G. Wilson, B. Aiyuk, J. Waddle, T. Higgins,, Z. Flowers, Di. Johnson, K. Coleman, AD Mitchell
TE: K. Pitts, E. Engram

12-team PPR/SF/TEP (+1PPR) Q RR WW TE FFF SF
QB - J. Hurts / D. Prescott / J. Love / B. Nix
RB - J. Taylor / K. Walker / J. Mixon / J. Brooks / D. Singletary / J. McLaughlin
WR - B. Aiyuk / K. Allen / S. Diggs / R. Odunze / X. Worthy / T. Franklin / J. Palmer / G. Davis / R. Doubs
TE - M. Andrews / D. Kincaid

Bad News Barrett
MVP
MVP

Postby Bad News Barrett » Sat Jun 06, 2015 8:45 am

kmbryant09 wrote:
JetsFan91 wrote:This is a very very slight possibility, but I look at Austin and I see some Brandin Cooks in him. The Rams drafted Sean Mannion this year, probably to replace Foles after this season, which maybe he plays well, maybe not. If not, Mannion probably takes over, potentially even before the season ends. If that happens, I think Austin might start getting forced the ball to some extent a la Cooks/Mannion connection in college. I would buy low now. I think he will be worth it at the end of this season...

Just curious, why do you have Mannion rostered in a 12-team, 1-QB league?!?[/quote

Clearly, by the way he talks about him, he is high on Mannion. Why does it matter if he has him rostered. Reading his post, he seems to think Mannion has a nice shot to win the job within a year. If not, he's an end of bench, easy drop.

Now to my point, I have high hopes for Tavon. I'd love to keep him, but unfortunately I think it's time for us to part ways, as the bench is very shallow in my league. It's either him, or dynasty darling Christine Michael
Finally on Twitter @dynastybarrett

"I'm afraid I've got some bad news"

general mills
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby general mills » Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:26 am

I traded Asiata last season for Austin & which turned out to be 2.01(DGB). I will take the flier and see how it turns out for him this season. With how early they took him you have to assume they will find away to get him involved.