The Offical MMA Thread (All things MMA)

Politics, world events, under-water basket weaving, everything goes in this forum. Please keep it respectful at all times.
Pilate
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

The Offical MMA Thread (All things MMA)

Postby Pilate » Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:44 pm

MMA fans come here to discuss all things MMA. Upcoming fights, recent fights, favorite fighters, etc.

Pilate
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

All Time Favorite Fighter

Postby Pilate » Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:56 pm

I have 2 all time favorite fighters. Matt Hughes and Vitor Belfort.

Current Fighters: Spencer "The King" Fisher, Karo Parisyan, Nate Quarry, Nate Marquardt, Wanderlei Silva, Takanori Gomi, Clay Guida and of course...Gina Carano. :oops:

Phish Brigade
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Re: All Time Favorite Fighter

Postby Phish Brigade » Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:26 pm

Pilate wrote:I have 2 all time favorite fighters. Matt Hughes and Vitor Belfort.

Current Fighters: Spencer "The King" Fisher, Karo Parisyan, Nate Quarry, Nate Marquardt, Wanderlei Silva, Takanori Gomi, Clay Guida and of course...Gina Carano. :oops:
All time fighters: GSP, BJ Penn and the Iceman.

Guys that I really enjoy watching ( current fighters ): Nate Diaz, Diego Sanchez, Clay Guida, Anderson Silva, Houston Alexander, Rumble Johnson.

Some past favs: Shamrock, Abbott, Arlovsky... I could go on...
GDF3
QB- Vick, Freeman, Hasselbeck, Yates
RB- Foster, McCoy, M Bush, Ben Tate, R Jennings, Alex Green
WR- Wallace, TBMW, Colston, Boldin, Collie, Amendola, Washington Roberts, Doss
TE- Gates, Cook, Carlson, Heap, Shiancoe
K- Cundiff, Novak
DL- Abraham, J Smith, James Hall, R Quinn, Keiser
LB- Poz, DJ Will, Vilma, Wake, Rivers, Mays, Irving
DB- Polamalu, Berry, Delmas, C Woodson, M Griffin, T Thomas, Byrd

Pilate
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Pilate » Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:48 pm

Phish Brigade wrote:
Pilate wrote:I have 2 all time favorite fighters. Matt Hughes and Vitor Belfort.

Guys that I really enjoy watching ( current fighters ): Nate Diaz, Diego Sanchez, Clay Guida, Anderson Silva, Houston Alexander, Rumble Johnson.

BJ Penn is insane. I really enjoy watching him fight...dude is definitely the "prodigy".

Houston Alexander had a lot of hype but has lost his last 3 fights. The arm triangle that Eric Schafer put on him back in September was sick. That was a great fight and 9 months since he has fought, hopefully we see him soon.

Here is a link to that fight.

http://www.mmaroot.com/houston-alexande ... -15-video/

Phish Brigade
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Phish Brigade » Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:13 pm

Pilate wrote:
Phish Brigade wrote:

BJ Penn is insane. I really enjoy watching him fight...dude is definitely the "prodigy".

Houston Alexander had a lot of hype but has lost his last 3 fights. The arm triangle that Eric Schafer put on him back in September was sick. That was a great fight and 9 months since he has fought, hopefully we see him soon.
Ya.. Alexander has had a few losses recently, but I still think he's crazy. In a good way. He'll probably end up being similar to Phil Baroni... have a couple of really impressive fights/crazy knockouts and then disappear.

I don't know if it's the TV time or not, but I like a lot of the reality show guys too. Griffin is just such a goofball, but he's so consistent in the octagon. Koscheck and Rashad Evans were boring on the show, but they keep getting better and better. The truth is, I can find something to like about almost everyone in the UFC. For some reason, I just can't get into the other leagues. It's kinda like football with me. I'm Canadian and I love the NFL but just never got into the CFL. Maybe I'm just a sucker for marketing and hype. LOL
GDF3
K- Cundiff, Novak

Shawn
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Shawn » Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:31 pm

This Saturday's UFC looks to be the card of the year, as it looks like there are about 3 main events here! St. Pierre always puts up a great fight, and I believe Mir was the last guy to beat Brock Lesnar, it should be great! Anyone else think that Liddel should retire now, or do we need to see him get knocked out easily a few more times in UFC main events? :roll:
“I had a couple of drinks. I started in 1970 and finished in 1985. It was a very big drink.” - Alice Cooper
“I’m sick to death of people saying we’ve made 11 albums that sound exactly the same. In fact, we’ve made 12 albums that sound exactly the same.” - Angus Young of AC/DC
"Every album Van Halen did was actually an Eddie solo album" - Eddie Van Halen
"Don't hate me because I'm fabulous" - Prince

Pilate
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Pilate » Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:52 pm

Shawn1204 wrote:This Saturday's UFC looks to be the card of the year, as it looks like there are about 3 main events here! St. Pierre always puts up a great fight, and I believe Mir was the last guy to beat Brock Lesnar, it should be great! Anyone else think that Liddel should retire now, or do we need to see him get knocked out easily a few more times in UFC main events? :roll:
The fight I am looking forward to the most at UFC 100 is Dan Henderson vs. Michael Bisping. I hope Henderson destroys Bisping....Bisping is a punk. Jon Fitch vs. Paulo Thiago will be very good fight.

Some of the undercard fights are good as well especially Mac Danzig vs. Jim Miller.

chiefs_fan4life_2
Starter
Starter

Postby chiefs_fan4life_2 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:54 pm

My knowledge of MMA isn't near that of boxing. I'm on the fence about getting this card. I recognize 4 or 5 names but why is this card getting so much hype? Could someone please sell me on this?

Shawn
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Shawn » Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:09 pm

chiefsfan: First, I would look for a nearby sportstbar that's carrying the UFC, instead of paying the money for the card yourself, its what I always do. Most Sportsbars nowadays carry it for free, or for very little cover charge, it will save you the $50 that you would pay if you bought it at home.

I think this card has at least 3 fights that would normally be headliners in other PPVs, in Lesnar vs. Mir , Alves vs. St. Pierre, and Henderson vs. Bisping which could all be headliners on seperate ppvs. I'm not as knowledgable of the lesser known fighters as Pilate and others are, but everything I've read has this being the PPV of 2009.

There's also a good chat on ESPN.com between The Sports Guy Bill Simmons and Dave Meltzer all about this particular PPV, and other coverage as well. The Bar I'm going to is a Buffalo Wild Wings, which usually always carries the UFC PPVs for Free. (At least in Ohio where I live)
“I had a couple of drinks. I started in 1970 and finished in 1985. It was a very big drink.” - Alice Cooper
“I’m sick to death of people saying we’ve made 11 albums that sound exactly the same. In fact, we’ve made 12 albums that sound exactly the same.” - Angus Young of AC/DC

bigcsr67
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby bigcsr67 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:11 pm

MMA ppv strategy. First off, instead of getting the ppv at your house for 50 bones, go watch it at a local bar for free. Then before you go to the bar, put in an on line bet for 40 bucks on a parlay of the three main events. Not only will you be cheering like crazy for the fights, you will be doing so for a chance at some big bucks for a cheaper prce than getting the ppv at your house. All in all, its a great chance to win some good cash, and you do it for cheaper than getting the ppv. Ive won quite a bit this way. I look at it as I would be paying more to buy the ppv, you might as well try to get a chance of some money in the deal, and it makes for a more exciting experiance. That is of course if you are a gambling man. But we are fantasy footballers. Gambling is what its all about!!

Pilate
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Pilate » Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:30 pm

chiefs_fan4life_2 wrote:My knowledge of MMA isn't near that of boxing. I'm on the fence about getting this card. I recognize 4 or 5 names but why is this card getting so much hype? Could someone please sell me on this?
Alot of the hype is because it's the 100th Main Event for UFC. Don't get me wrong, there are some good fights but there have been better cards by far.

ccteam
Role Player
Role Player

Postby ccteam » Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:31 am

Pilate wrote:
Shawn1204 wrote:This Saturday's UFC looks to be the card of the year, as it looks like there are about 3 main events here! St. Pierre always puts up a great fight, and I believe Mir was the last guy to beat Brock Lesnar, it should be great! Anyone else think that Liddel should retire now, or do we need to see him get knocked out easily a few more times in UFC main events? :roll:
The fight I am looking forward to the most at UFC 100 is Dan Henderson vs. Michael Bisping. I hope Henderson destroys Bisping....Bisping is a punk. Jon Fitch vs. Paulo Thiago will be very good fight.

Some of the undercard fights are good as well especially Mac Danzig vs. Jim Miller.
Did Henderson do well enough for you? :-) That punch was INSANE! I was hoping Henderson would kock Bispings block off, but that punch was just NUTS.
12 team PPR Q, R, R, W, W, W/R, W/T, TE, K - 36 player rosters
E Manning Dalton
Sproles, D Brown Mendenhall, Blount, Hillis, Gerhart, Moreno
Fitz, White, Holmes, Rice TBMW, Royal, Edwards, Bess
Pettigrew H Miller

Shawn
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Shawn » Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:00 am

That punch by Henderson was worth the price of admission, it sure shut Bisping up didn't it? :lol:

Phish Brigade
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Phish Brigade » Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:44 am

Seeing Henderson knock out Bisping like that was awesome! " And the last punch to shut him up a bit " :lol:

GSP won by a landslide. It wasn't the most electrifying win he's ever had... but he's been almost unstoppable since getting the belt back.

And I'm actually kinda glad Lesner won. I hate guys that talk too much. Lesner still has a long way to go though. Too much smothering, but it works. But like any wrestler, his "game" will improve over time.
GDF3
K- Cundiff, Novak

Phish Brigade
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Phish Brigade » Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:06 pm

UFC tonight! Kimbo style. This one should be pretty interesting. It will be nice to see a few more knockouts on the Ultimate Fighter show.
GDF3
K- Cundiff, Novak