Travis Kelce's Official Discussion Thread

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Jimmy Jones
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Re: Travis Kelce... It's Time

Postby Jimmy Jones » Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:12 am

Telperion wrote:With Charles out of the backfield occupying LB's too, I'm not sure how much opposing teams can really dedicate to him specifically. He'll probably still get additional players shifted his way, but if teams start throwing a lot of extra attention his way they're going to get burned badly by Charles.
If I took anything away from Monday night game, it's that Andy Reid is still a horrendous coach when it comes to game operations but s genius at player utilization. The runs he called for Charles and Davis had NE running the wrong ways, and bringing in the 350 pound full back on 3rd and goal at the 2 to draw coverage away from Kelce was beautiful. As long as Smith can get the ball to Bowe and Avery when open, there will be plenty of open looks for Kelce each game.
The Green Bay Packers
10 Team Superflex, Pass Heavy Scoring
1QB, 1QB/RB/WR/TE, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 1Def, 1K
Passing: 2pt/20yds 5pt/TD; Rushing/Receiving: 2pt/10yds; 1PPR

QB's: ARod, Rivers, Sanchez, Manziel, Mallett, Mettenberger
RB's: Charles, Lacy, Ellington, Oliver, Davis, Starks, CMike
WR's: Julio, Maclin, Sanders, Watkins, Crabtree, Patterson, Quick
TE's: Graham, Kelce, ASJ

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:31 pm

Scooby1974 wrote:Only playing 50% of the snaps and STILL putting up 90+ yards and a TD. Reed appears to be removing his head from his ars?
Until Kelce is getting 80-90% of the snaps, Reed should be criticized.

Fasano is a better blocker, but that's only because he's super-elite in that regard. Kelce is still a plus blocker himself relative to the rest of the league, and overall he plainly adds SO MUCH MORE to the offense's potency.

Kelce should be featured on offense as heavily as Gates, Gonzo, Witten, etc. were in their prime. There's just no truly rational excuse for this team not to.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

kmbryant09
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby kmbryant09 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:46 pm

ninotoreS wrote:
Scooby1974 wrote:Only playing 50% of the snaps and STILL putting up 90+ yards and a TD. Reed appears to be removing his head from his ars?
Until Kelce is getting 80-90% of the snaps, Reed should be criticized.

Fasano is a better blocker, but that's only because he's super-elite in that regard. Kelce is still a plus blocker himself relative to the rest of the league, and overall he plainly adds SO MUCH MORE to the offense's potency.

Kelce should be featured on offense as heavily as Gates, Gonzo, Witten, etc. were in their prime. There's just no truly rational excuse for this team not to.
He's 4 games into his NFL career in which he essentially red-shirted his rookie year. He's also getting live action on the football field for the first time since recovering from a microfracture surgery.

Even as a Kelce owner, I can understand where Reid is coming from. Now, mid-season, there's no reason why Kelce shouldn't be playing on 70%+ of the snaps.
10-team/.5 PPR/5 Pts per Passing TD. Start 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2FLEX (rb/wr/te)
QB: J. Hurts, K. Murray
RB: Bi. Robinson, D. Henry, D. Achane, , J. Cook, Z. Charbonnet, T. Chandler, R. Johnson, K. Mitchell, J.K. Dobbins, T. Allgeier, J. McLaughlin, S. Tucker, T. Bigsby
WR: G. Wilson, B. Aiyuk, J. Waddle, T. Higgins,, Z. Flowers, Di. Johnson, K. Toney, A. Iosivas
TE: K. Pitts, E. Engram, C. Okonkwo, G. Dulcich

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:12 pm

kmbryant09 wrote: He's 4 games into his NFL career in which he essentially red-shirted his rookie year.
Fair point.

BUT, he definitely shouldn't be equated to a true rookie, because he's been an active participant for two training-camps now, and was present for team tight-end film-room meetings for all of the 2013 season. Mentally, Kelce should be miles ahead of a rookie TE's savvy, and his immediate production so far this year has supported that presumption, of course.

The bottom-line is this: do the Chiefs have a greater or lesser chance of winning on Sundays, the more snaps Kelce is given?

Seems to me it's been the former. Just looking at box-scores, both Smith and the running-game have been significantly more productive in the games Kelce has been given more snaps. That could just be correlation and not causation, but somehow I doubt it.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

balaberda
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby balaberda » Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:50 pm

As a Green owner I would love 50 percent snaps.

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:53 pm

balaberda wrote:As a Green owner I would love 50 percent snaps.
You know I own Green and Kelce? lol.
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

1standgoal
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Travis Kelce 2015

Postby 1standgoal » Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:31 pm

We all know how important having a dominant tight end can be. But the picture gets murky after Gronk and Graham.

Kelce was able to do well this year (after sitting out his entire rookie year due to injury) on a team not exactly known for their passing offense. Is Travis Kelce going to elevate his game to the tier of a must start tight end? He certainly looks the part as a lot of guys do, but he appears to play the position very well already. I haven't seen a lot of discussion about this lately, what do we think about him heading into 2015.
2015 League Champion
12 Team Standard League
QB/RB/RB/WR/WR/TE/FLEX/DEF/K

breeze
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Re: Travis Kelce 2015

Postby breeze » Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:39 pm

If we knew he was going to be used properly and be the focal point in that offense that he should be, he would easily be TE3

But nobody has a clue. Anthony Fasano was stealing snaps, targets and TDs from him last year. And any Chief but Charles can destroy your chance of winning each week with a big fat bagel.
Twitter: @BreezeIDP

BuckeyeNation
GOAT
GOAT

Postby BuckeyeNation » Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:40 pm

The usage is a concern, but he was starting to get more looks down the stretch. I think if given the proper opportunity, he could vault up to the TE3. Even if he doesn't get used properly, I think 2014 was pretty much his floor. I'd be a buyer.
-TEAM 1. Year 5 '15/'16 Champ
Ben
Freeman/Cook/Hyde/Crowell/AP/Rawls/JWill(GB)/Gallman/Vereen/Smallwood/Clement
Julio/Jordy/Crowder/Enunwa/JuJu/Zay/Treadwell/JJNelson/Anderson/Switzer
Olsen/Graham/Gathers/Kittle

-TEAM 2- Year 5 '13/'16 Champ-'14/'15 R/U
Luck/Cousins
Bell/Hunt/Gillislee/Henry/Charles/Rawls/Burkhead
Brown/Jordy/Tate/Moncrief/Enunwa/Meredith/Zay/JJNelson/Anderson/Stewart
Olsen/Ebron/Henry

-TEAM 3- Year 5
'13-'15 R/U
Cam/Smith/Trubisky
Zeke/CJA/Montgomery/Ware/Charles/Booker/Burk/Smallwood/Cohen
Brown/Hilton/Diggs/Marvin/Pryor/Parker/Maclin/Meredith/JJNelson
Reed/Doyle/Miller/Gathers

-TEAM 4- Year 3
Wilson/Mariota
Ajayi/Howard/Hyde/Riddick/Vereen/Burk/Clement
OBJ/ARob/MThomas/Landry/Adams/Crowder/MJones/White/Lee/Samuel
Olsen/Rudolph/Swoope/Barnidge

voiceofunreason
MVP
MVP

Postby voiceofunreason » Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:05 pm

The real problem is Alex Smith. Reid has to go with a run heavy offense with him there. I like Kelce a lot and own him in a lot of leagues but I"m not sure what his ceiling is. With even a lot improvement and a few more snaps he's pretty close to the TE3 position. Unfortunately that's problem it until they get a different qb, which is a long way down the road.

Pac_Eddy
Legend
Legend

Postby Pac_Eddy » Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:12 pm

Kelce was the #7 TE this year in my 1/2 ppr league. That makes him a must start already.

I'd like to see the Chiefs open up the down field passing but that's not likely with Alex Smith.
Not all that counts can be counted. Not all that can be counted counts.

Matticus
Captain
Captain

Postby Matticus » Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:54 pm

As someone who watches all KC games I can tell you that Reid still calls more passes than he should, mostly quick hitters since KC's OL is atrocious at pass blocking. Lots of screens, slants, and curls.

IF they can get some WR (Maclin and a rookie or 2?) and OL talent this off season I could see his play calling revert to his Eagles days. Granted the Maclin idea has a very slim chance of materializing, it would really help keep the safeties honest if they could put some speed/size outside the tackle box for a change since Bowe is garbage.

Matticus
Captain
Captain

Postby Matticus » Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:59 pm

voiceofunreason wrote:The real problem is Alex Smith. Reid has to go with a run heavy offense with him there. I like Kelce a lot and own him in a lot of leagues but I"m not sure what his ceiling is. With even a lot improvement and a few more snaps he's pretty close to the TE3 position. Unfortunately that's problem it until they get a different qb, which is a long way down the road.
I am one of Alex Smith's biggest critics, but he is not Kelce's problem. Offensive talent outside of he, Charles, and Thomas is nonexistent. It also hurts that Fasano is a damn good blocking TE, so they keep him on the field more than they should since the OL can't block anyone in passing situations.

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:33 pm

I guess you guys weren't really paying attention if you're complaining about usage. He was right around 50% of the snaps until week ten when he jumped to 67%. He then surpassed 80% every game but one (78%) from there on out and had two or three games in the high 90's. What kind of usage rates are you looking for from a guy with limited blocking capabilities in his first real year of professional football?
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

voiceofunreason
MVP
MVP

Postby voiceofunreason » Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:49 pm

ericanadian wrote:I guess you guys weren't really paying attention if you're complaining about usage. He was right around 50% of the snaps until week ten when he jumped to 67%. He then surpassed 80% every game but one (78%) from there on out and had two or three games in the high 90's. What kind of usage rates are you looking for from a guy with limited blocking capabilities in his first real year of professional football?
Keep the schtick to a minimum, wholly cow.

Probably looking for a full 16 games where he's on the field pretty much every down. I guess that is tough to understand, nevermind.