Julio vs. Dez

This is the spot for player-to-player comparisons.
MilwaukeesBest
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Julio vs. Dez

Postby MilwaukeesBest » Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:03 pm

I assume most have these 2 very close, likely in their top 5.

If you were OTC who would you select and why?
Team 1: 10 Team, 4 Keeper League, Non-PPR
QB: Deshaun Watson
RB: Ezekiel Elliott, Leonard Fournette, Kareem Hunt
WR: Julio Jones, Dez Bryant
TE: Rob Gronkowski

hvacman
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Re: Julio vs. Dez

Postby hvacman » Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:48 pm

I pick Julio.. better qb situation for the foreseeable future. I also firmly believe he is more talented than dez as well.
DangeRUSS(YR3)
-8 team League 2 ppr, 6pt.pass td/bonuses for ypcatch and carry, comp%/ 1pt.assist,2pt tackle, blk kick/punt,recovery,2.5pt t.f.l, 4pk sk, int, ff
QB(1)- PManning, Ryan, RWilson
RB(2-3)- Rice, Sproles, Martin , Wilson, BTate, Pierce
WR(2-3)- Julio, Demaryus, Nicks, GTate, T Austin, Mike Floyd, Randle, Royal, Hartline
TE(1-2)- Gonzo, Rudolph, Eifert, Reed
DL/DE(2)-J Allen, C Johnson
LB (3)- Kuechly, LDavid, Burfict
DB (2)- Barron,HSmith
Def(1)- Niners, Pats

DRS540
Captain
Captain

Postby DRS540 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:19 pm

Julio for me. Only because Dez carries more risk. But it's close.
12 Team Keeper League/PPR after 3 Catches - 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 1 WR/RB/TE, DEF, K

QB: Derek Carr
RB: David Johnson, Joe Mixon, James White, Derrick Henry, Adrian Peterson, Alvin Kamara
WR: Keenan Allen, Brandin Cooks, Martavis Bryant, Corey Coleman, Chris Hogan, Emmanuel Sanders
TE: Martellus Bennett, Austin Hooper
FLEX: Martavis Bryant
D/ST: Steelers
K: Cairo Santos

IR: Julian Edelman

2018 Keepers: TBD

johnyo
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby johnyo » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:42 am

Really close imo, I'll pile on the Juilo bandwagon though solely because of the QB situation.
16-Team Salary Cap Dynasty
0.5 PPR (1 QB, 2-3 RB, 3-4 WR, 1-2 TE, 1 D, 1 K)
100M Salary Cap. Players can be waived for a 25% cap penalty.
Flacco(5) Osweiler(1.25)
McCoy(9) Miller(10) Hyde(3.2) Tipton(0.5) Darkwa(0.5) L James(0.5) D Harris(0.5) S Perry(0.5)
Megatron(18.5) Julio(15) Hopkins(4) Hunter(1.3) Bowe(3.8) Woods(2.2) Wheaton(1.3)
ASJ(1.3) Donnell(0.5) Gresham(2.3) M Gray(0.5) D Harris(0.5)
Browns(0.5)
Parkee(0.5) McManus(0.5)
2015 1.07, 1.09
2016 2nd, 4th
2017 2nd, 3rd, 4th

sloth8u
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby sloth8u » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:51 pm

id go dez...and pray he can stay out of trouble. after megatron, i think you can go green or dez...then julio.

FiremanEd
Legend
Legend

Postby FiremanEd » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:40 pm

In a vacuum I go Julio because he brings less off field risk, has a longer-term and reliable QB situation, and has everything you want a WR to have. A legit WR1 even with all the other weapons on the team.

I have Dez, as I took the cheaper of the two (auction), and I actually like him as a player more, but he is more risky and physical, possibly a detriment to his health. On the clock I'd take Julio, but I wouldn't even feel the need to deal Dez for Julio if offered today...it's that close to me.

BuckeyeNation
GOAT
GOAT

Postby BuckeyeNation » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:45 pm

I'll take Dez here. I actually believe he has #1 WR upside. Both have had some injury issues, but I will admit Julio is probably the safer play.

In a startup Id probably take Julio just because he carries a bit more value than Dez in most cases.
-TEAM 1. Year 5 '15/'16 Champ
Ben
Freeman/Cook/Hyde/Crowell/AP/Rawls/JWill(GB)/Gallman/Vereen/Smallwood/Clement
Julio/Jordy/Crowder/Enunwa/JuJu/Zay/Treadwell/JJNelson/Anderson/Switzer
Olsen/Graham/Gathers/Kittle

-TEAM 2- Year 5 '13/'16 Champ-'14/'15 R/U
Luck/Cousins
Bell/Hunt/Gillislee/Henry/Charles/Rawls/Burkhead
Brown/Jordy/Tate/Moncrief/Enunwa/Meredith/Zay/JJNelson/Anderson/Stewart
Olsen/Ebron/Henry

-TEAM 3- Year 5
'13-'15 R/U
Cam/Smith/Trubisky
Zeke/CJA/Montgomery/Ware/Charles/Booker/Burk/Smallwood/Cohen
Brown/Hilton/Diggs/Marvin/Pryor/Parker/Maclin/Meredith/JJNelson
Reed/Doyle/Miller/Gathers

-TEAM 4- Year 3
Wilson/Mariota
Ajayi/Howard/Hyde/Riddick/Vereen/Burk/Clement
OBJ/ARob/MThomas/Landry/Adams/Crowder/MJones/White/Lee/Samuel
Olsen/Rudolph/Swoope/Barnidge

Chris_R
MVP
MVP

Postby Chris_R » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:03 pm

hvacman wrote: I also firmly believe he is more talented than dez as well.

This is interesting to me. Curious how you came to this decision, as to me it's nearly impossible to predict who is more talented because they both do things that very few WR's can do. But while the question is splitting hairs, I'll take Dez. He's had the better season of the 2 thus far, his last 8 games of last season was of sheer dominance, and I think this season will be better then his last. I know the situation Julio is in prevents a lot of that from blossoming naturally because of Gonzo, Roddy, now Steven Jackson, etc, but I'm taking that into consideration with production. I don't think Julio will have a better season this year then Dez had last year. He's perfectly capable so no doubting that 1 bit. Dez just has a perfect storm of ability, upside, opportunity, and situation. #1 option in a passing offense with an accurate QB on a team who is typically playing from behind.

I'll be excited when Roddy and Gonzo are gone to see Julio really bust out with the additional targets, but for now I'd take Dez. But I can't seperate the talent 1 ounce.
12 Team ppr Dynasty IDP Superflex
1 QB, 1 QB/RB, 1 RB, 1 WR, RB/WR, WR/TE, 1 TE, 2 DL, 2 LB, 2 DB, 2 DL/LB/DB

QB: Dak Prescott/Kyler Murray
RB: Jonathan Taylor/James Robinson/D'Onta Foreman/Chris Hubbard/Keontay Ingram
WR: Jamar Chase/Diontae Johnson/Amron St Brown/Courtland Sutton/Rondale Moore/Donovan Peoples-Jones/Christian Watson
TE: Dalton Schultz/Gerald Everett/Greg Dulcich/Jeremy Ruckert

DL: Joey Bosa/Khalil Mack
LB: Leighton Vander Esch/Tremaine Edmunds/Blake Martinez/Telvin Smith/Sean Lee
DB: Earl Thomas/Keanu Neal/Minkah Fitzpatrick/John Johnson

Picks: 2023(three)

hvacman
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby hvacman » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:45 am

Chris_R wrote:

This is interesting to me. Curious how you came to this decision, as to me it's nearly impossible to predict who is more talented because they both do things that very few WR's can do. But while the question is splitting hairs, I'll take Dez. He's had the better season of the 2 thus far, his last 8 games of last season was of sheer dominance, and I think this season will be better then his last. I know the situation Julio is in prevents a lot of that from blossoming naturally because of Gonzo, Roddy, now Steven Jackson, etc, but I'm taking that into consideration with production. I don't think Julio will have a better season this year then Dez had last year. He's perfectly capable so no doubting that 1 bit. Dez just has a perfect storm of ability, upside, opportunity, and situation. #1 option in a passing offense with an accurate QB on a team who is typically playing from behind.

I'll be excited when Roddy and Gonzo are gone to see Julio really bust out with the additional targets, but for now I'd take Dez. But I can't seperate the talent 1 ounce.
I will admit, I have no evidence to support my claim. What I base my opinion on is what I have seen with my own eyes. Maybe there is something I have missed, but for whatever reason I see more intensity in Julio's game. I won't say he is head and shoulders better than Dez. I just have a feeling he has more desire to be great. When I have watched Dez the past few years, I just haven't seen what I have in Julio.
DangeRUSS(YR3)
-8 team League 2 ppr, 6pt.pass td/bonuses for ypcatch and carry, comp%/ 1pt.assist,2pt tackle, blk kick/punt,recovery,2.5pt t.f.l, 4pk sk, int, ff
QB(1)- PManning, Ryan, RWilson
RB(2-3)- Rice, Sproles, Martin , Wilson, BTate, Pierce
WR(2-3)- Julio, Demaryus, Nicks, GTate, T Austin, Mike Floyd, Randle, Royal, Hartline
TE(1-2)- Gonzo, Rudolph, Eifert, Reed
DL/DE(2)-J Allen, C Johnson
LB (3)- Kuechly, LDavid, Burfict
DB (2)- Barron,HSmith
Def(1)- Niners, Pats

MR ROURKE
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby MR ROURKE » Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:20 pm

I think they are pretty even. On the clock, I'd cross my fingers and take Dez.

rubber_duck
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby rubber_duck » Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:19 am

I would love to have either one on my team. Given the choice, though, I would go with Julio. He has his head on straight.

MilwaukeesBest
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby MilwaukeesBest » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:10 pm

Went Julio thanks guys.
Team 1: 10 Team, 4 Keeper League, Non-PPR
QB: Deshaun Watson
RB: Ezekiel Elliott, Leonard Fournette, Kareem Hunt
WR: Julio Jones, Dez Bryant
TE: Rob Gronkowski

DonBrazi
MVP
MVP

Postby DonBrazi » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:26 pm

Chris_R wrote:

This is interesting to me. Curious how you came to this decision
Now, I've no real statistics or gamefilm that I can point to right now (although, I certainly could were I to have the time), but the big difference in my mind is that Julio's stats seem to come less from 'lucky' plays than Dez. Watching games last season, I remember thinking time and again that Dez got open or broke a tackle or something similar essentially because of a mistake by the defender rather than a good play or move by Dez. I didn't think that very often watching Julio. Probably no way to quantify this, so it's open to a lot of criticism, but that's where I am on the two, since we're splitting hairs. It's certainly possible that I am just seeing what I want to see or considering something that is irrelevant.. but it's kind of like when watching Julio, I say 'Wow, how did he just do that?' way more than I do when watching Dez.

*Was it the Saints game last year where he had the ridiculous first half? That's one I remember thinking that he shouldn't have gotten half of what he got but for the poor play of certain defenders.

**Before you call be a biased Julio owner, I just acquired him today (in a move involving Marshall that proceeded a move involving Calvin) in one league and I don't own him anywhere else.. I am perhaps more negatively biased towards my Cowboys because I am a pessimist, but I hope I'm not letting that cloud my judgement too much.

***As you can tell, I'm no scout.
IRL 12Team 28man 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 1Flex, 1Superflex: PPR w/ small TE-Premium
Dak, Murray, Wentz, Darnold, Fitzpatrick
CEH, Gibson, Sanders, Javonte, Moss, Nwangwu
ARob, Sutton, ODB, Parker, Ruggs, Miller, Boykin
Waller, Hockenson, Pitts, OJH, Trautman, Gesicki, Everett
2022 1st (2), 2nd, 3rd, 4th

War Room 12Team 28man: 1QB, 1RB, 1WR, 1TE, 4Flex, 1Superflex: .5/1/1.5 Tiered-PPR, 1-Round Devy league
Dak, Murray, LJax, *Rattler
Etienne, AJD, Hubbard, Stevenson, Hawkins, *Spiller
Sutton, ODB, Jeudy, Reagor, Shenault, Rodgers, Kirk, Boykin, *G.Wilson
Hockenson, Jonnu, Firkser, Asiasi
2022 1st (2), 2nd, 3rd, *Devy 4th (2)

the_future
All Pro
All Pro

Postby the_future » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:49 pm

rubber_duck wrote:I would love to have either one on my team. Given the choice, though, I would go with Julio. He has his head on straight.
This is a common misconception that Dez "doesn't have his head on straight and has character issues."

Let's look at EVERY SINGLE ONE of Dez off the field related news during his football Career

1) Had a dinner with Deion Sanders (which broke no rules in the NCAA) and lied when asked about it because he froze on the spot and didn't know if having dinner with Deion was an issue to the NCAA.

2) The Dolphins GM asked if Dez mom was a prostitute and he kept his calm saying that she was not and went on with the interview. He then got in an argument with his crack addicted mother b/c he wanted to leave her house and she would not let him. The argument got physical and he was arrested as a precaution and all charges were dropped.

3) He would not carry Roy WIlliams pads as a rookie b/c he wanted Roy's spot and said "I am here to play football, not carry someone else's pads."

4) He was issued a security team, a curfew and a no tolerance policy by the Dallas Cowboys organization... The person who issued these stipulations was Dez Bryant himself. Dez is the one who went to Jerry and told him that he has been brought up in a rough situation with no father figure to steer him the right way. Dez told Jerry to do whatever he had to do to keep Dez away from trouble.

Lets summarize real quick: Dez lied about having a dinner, stayed calm when someone called his mother a prostitute to his face, got in an argument with his crackhead/ex prostitute mother at her house, refused to carry his competitions pads, and set a curfew for himself so he doesn't get in trouble.

Man is Dez a head case!

All he has ever wanted to do is play football and he was given a childhood/upbringing that did all it could to prevent that. Let's learn all of the facts before we say Dez is a head case or a knucklehead. From the looks of it, he seems to have more willpower/determination than just about anyone in the league.

As for the OP's question... I take Dez over Julio. Dez very well might be the #1 overall WR this year and Julio does not possess this upside for at least the next 2 years.

the_future
All Pro
All Pro

Postby the_future » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:56 pm

hvacman wrote:I pick Julio.. better qb situation for the foreseeable future. I also firmly believe he is more talented than dez as well.
This have anything to do with you having Ryan & Julio in your sig?

Having watched both many times, I believe Dez is the more talented football player. He high points the ball better, makes more difficult catches and is one of the two most physically dominant and difficult WR's to bring down (Other being Marshall). His route running also seems to be more advanced at this point their respective careers.