Adding 2 roster spots, removing Kicker/Def...Help?!

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Noremac84
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Adding 2 roster spots, removing Kicker/Def...Help?!

Postby Noremac84 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:35 pm

I am in a league with 20 roster spots, 1 IR. We start 1 QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 1K, 1Def. (9 positions total) A rule this offseason has been proposed where we remove the kicker and defense from the starting lineup, thus increasing our rosters by 2 spots. We will also be adding 1 IR spot where we can place players that are out for the week, or on NFL IR. (sort of a flexible IR spot)

We have 4 rookie/FA draft rounds. 2 right after the NFL draft and 2 after the 2rd preseason game.

Has anyone made this type of mid league roster change before? Should we have an expansion draft prior to our rookie/FA draft? I kind of think we should have a round of expansion right now and one later. If we had one, I’d propose that we randomly select the order.

I feel like this will significantly change our strategies because we’ll be able to carry more skill players on our rosters. For example, I waived Sanu, Greg Olsen, and Pierce this year because I needed roster spots for other guys. Similarly, we had AJ Jenkins, LaMichael James, Bryce Brown, Kapernick, and Russel Wilson as free agents for most of the year. Also, there will be 20 more players out of the FA pool, so you’ll have to take fliers on guys a little earlier.

Let me know your thoughts, thanks in advance!
Team FUCAM
QB: Rodgers, Rivers
RB: Charles, Lamar Miller, Langford, Cobb, Char West, Jonathan Williams (R)
WR: Julio Jones, Demaryius Thomas, DeSean Jackson, J. Gordon, M. Bryant, J. Mathews, Adams, Rishard Matthews, Brandon Coleman, Boyd (R)
TE: Kelce, Eifert
10 Team Dynasty, PPR, 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 Flex, 1TE, 20 man rosters with 2 IR spots
2016 Picks: 1.09, 2.09, 4.03
2013 Champion!

dlf_jacobf
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Re: Adding 2 roster spots, removing Kicker/Def...Help?!

Postby dlf_jacobf » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:09 pm

Glad to hear that you're getting rid of kickers! Music to my ears!

Anyway, if your drafts are already rookie/free agent drafts, I don't think there is any reason to have a seperate draft. I don't even know if you need to add rounds to your draft. It would just mean that teams can make fewer cuts this year. The other option would be to just have 3 rounds each time you draft instead of 2. Good luck!

Noremac84
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby Noremac84 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:21 pm

With the relatively weak draft class I traded away all my picks for this year, and I expect that others did so too. I might've done it a little differently if I knew that I would be able to keep the players I draft without needing to cut them, that's why I think an expansion draft is necessary. As it stands it sort of rewards owners who poorly acquired more picks than they were able to keep. Just a thought.
Team FUCAM
QB: Rodgers, Rivers
RB: Charles, Lamar Miller, Langford, Cobb, Char West, Jonathan Williams (R)
WR: Julio Jones, Demaryius Thomas, DeSean Jackson, J. Gordon, M. Bryant, J. Mathews, Adams, Rishard Matthews, Brandon Coleman, Boyd (R)
TE: Kelce, Eifert
10 Team Dynasty, PPR, 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 Flex, 1TE, 20 man rosters with 2 IR spots
2016 Picks: 1.09, 2.09, 4.03
2013 Champion!

dlf_jacobf
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby dlf_jacobf » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:44 pm

I see it as the exact opposite. You made the choice to trade away your picks. Why should you get a second chance by being able to pick in the same round as everyone else? I think the fair way is to add a 3rd round to both drafts. Doing a draft before your normal drafts is basically screwing the people the traded for those picks thinking that the current crop of rookies and free agents would be there for them.