The toughest deals to make (young developmental guys)

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
hamburglar
All Pro
All Pro

The toughest deals to make (young developmental guys)

Postby hamburglar » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:13 pm

So I think for me the toughest deal to make involve unproven young developmental players... I've had people in various leagues inquire about the availability of Nick Foles, AJ Jenkins and Isiah Pead recently.

The issue is that I can't rightfully ask for anything super awesome in return... so at the end of the day why even deal them? How do other people handle this issue? I mean it just seems like the only way these deals get made is with teams that are fed up with those guys... in each case i have them on 30 plus man rosters and im content to stash them...

in foles case in particular its tough because i am an eagles fan... and even though in both leagues i have him im SET at QB (Hollywood Hmaburglars and Los Pollos Hermanos in sig) how can i give up a potential future signal caller for my fave team?

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Re: The toughest deals to make (young developmental guys)

Postby ericanadian » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:24 pm

I picked up Pead and Jenkins off waivers, so that pretty much sums up how people are handling it.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

cannoncruz
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby cannoncruz » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:24 pm

I set my trading block with only guys I absolutely want to move and then leave a message that you always appreciate inquiries and proposals, but are not really looking to move anyone not listed on yout trading block.

it never hurts to talk about a trade, but at least that gives you an easy out.
Jeff Janis finishes the 2015-16 season as a top 30 WR with 65 Rec. / 950 yds / 8 TDs
Football would be even more fun to watch if there was no punting or field goals.

balaberda
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby balaberda » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:30 pm

Usually they are only toss-ins to make a bigger trade happen.

thriftyrocker
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby thriftyrocker » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:53 pm

You should be able to get a 1st for Foles in a 2QB league, and at that price it might be worth selling him. Depends on how confident you are.

I've offered Pierre Thomas for Pead and gotten shot down. I think you can ask for a decent RB4 or WR4 if they have someone you like.

If they're asking you to set a price, you're free to set a high price.

MR ROURKE
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby MR ROURKE » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:18 pm

It all depends on your view of the player. If you believe in them, then keep them. If you don't have a strong feeling about the player, then deal them to get something you do.

I would be dealing Foles for sure while you can with a new coaching staff likely coming in.

CokeAndBacardi
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby CokeAndBacardi » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:34 pm

thriftyrocker wrote:You should be able to get a 1st for Foles in a 2QB league, and at that price it might be worth selling him. Depends on how confident you are.

I've offered Pierre Thomas for Pead and gotten shot down. I think you can ask for a decent RB4 or WR4 if they have someone you like.

If someone gets a first for Foles in any format, I am calling 911.

To the OP - There's nothing wrong with a stash on a large roster. You draft those guys to wait on them. Unless they're in a larger deal for an established player, why bother? As an owner rebuilding in one league, I often look for seemingly insignificant players like the ones you list when dealing veterans to contenders.
10 Team/26-man dynasty/PPR/Year 10/4-6 pt TDs/2QB-2RB-2WR-2RB/WR-2TE
QB-Goff/Rosen/Lock/Grier/Luck
RB-Mack/Hunt/RoJones/Bernard/Snell/AP/Edwards/Ajayi
WR-ODB/Robinson/T.Williams/Davis/Anderson/Cobb/Renfrow
TE-Kelce/Goedert/Njoku/Rudolph/Oliver
2020 - Currently and likely 1.01, have all of my own picks

thriftyrocker
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby thriftyrocker » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:47 pm

I don't think you can sell for a 2nd at this point. He's a young QB and he's starting. What QBs coming out next year are better other than Geno and Barkley?

Chris_R
MVP
MVP

Postby Chris_R » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:48 pm

CokeAndBacardi wrote:
thriftyrocker wrote:You should be able to get a 1st for Foles in a 2QB league, and at that price it might be worth selling him. Depends on how confident you are.

You could say it's a cheap price to get a young starting QB in a 2QB league for only a first. Not everybody has one all the time, especially with injuries striking. In my league there are always times when a team has an injury to one of his QB and has no chance at winning without a second. I'm also not high on Foles myself, but he could be the next franchise guy, even if it's short lived. He cost more then a 1st in our format for sure.
12 Team ppr Dynasty IDP Superflex
1 QB, 1 QB/RB, 1 RB, 1 WR, RB/WR, WR/TE, 1 TE, 2 DL, 2 LB, 2 DB, 2 DL/LB/DB

QB: Dak Prescott/Kyler Murray
RB: Jonathan Taylor/James Robinson/D'Onta Foreman/Chris Hubbard/Keontay Ingram
WR: Jamar Chase/Diontae Johnson/Amron St Brown/Courtland Sutton/Rondale Moore/Donovan Peoples-Jones/Christian Watson
TE: Dalton Schultz/Gerald Everett/Greg Dulcich/Jeremy Ruckert

DL: Joey Bosa/Khalil Mack
LB: Leighton Vander Esch/Tremaine Edmunds/Blake Martinez/Telvin Smith/Sean Lee
DB: Earl Thomas/Keanu Neal/Minkah Fitzpatrick/John Johnson

Picks: 2023(three)

oppy
Role Player
Role Player

Postby oppy » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:52 pm

CokeAndBacardi wrote:

To the OP - There's nothing wrong with a stash on a large roster. You draft those guys to wait on them. Unless they're in a larger deal for an established player, why bother? As an owner rebuilding in one league, I often look for seemingly insignificant players like the ones you list when dealing veterans to contenders.
Well I'm in 1 QB league and the guy with Foles won't trade him straight up for Miles Austin. I'm not sure how that compares to a 1st but it's probably worth one in many leagues.

whatadai
Captain
Captain

Postby whatadai » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:47 pm

oPlaiD wrote:
CokeAndBacardi wrote:

Well I'm in 1 QB league and the guy with Foles won't trade him straight up for Miles Austin. I'm not sure how that compares to a 1st but it's probably worth one in many leagues.
Wouldn't give up Foles for Austin? WTH? You can't use a retarded owner as an example of current value on a player.
10 Team .5 PPR Salary Cap Dynasty (Starters in Bold)
HC: B. Belichick, D. Quinn
QB: A. Rodgers, D. Carr, N. Foles
HB: L. McCoy, A. Foster, T. Mason, B. Sankey, I. Crowell, C. Ivory, S. Ridley
WR: D. Bryant, D. Thomas, D. Hopkins, A. Cooper, A. Robinson, V. Cruz, T. Smith, C. Johnson, B. Quick, J. Gordon
TE: R. Gronkowski
PK: N. Novak, D. Carpenter
PN: J. Hekker
DT: G. Atkins, S. Marks
DE: R. Quinn, O. Vernon, C. Johnson, J. Hughes, V. Beasley, J. Smith
LB: J. Mayo, B. Cushing, J. Freeman, C. Barwin, V. Rey, B. Orakpo, A. Okafor, D. Washington
CB: J. McCourty, A. Verner, B. Browner
S: E. Weddle, T. McDonald, T. Gipson, D. Bucannon
OL: T. Armstead, S. Vollmer, K. Holmes, T. Frederick, M. Unger, J. Asamoah, J. Sitton, A. Smith, J. Troutman, M. Yanda, L. Warford

PS: RB J. Allen, WR P. Dorsett, WR K. Bell, WR B. Coleman, DE J. Sheard, DE D. Fowler, DE L. Webster, LB S. Anthony

jlasaf2007
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby jlasaf2007 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:22 am

whatadai wrote:
oPlaiD wrote:
CokeAndBacardi wrote: If someone gets a first for Foles in any format, I am calling 911.

Wouldn't give up Foles for Austin? WTH? You can't use a retarded owner as an example of current value on a player.
Looks like it's split...some high on Foles, some low on him. It doesn't look like it's just 1 owner; and they might think you are retarded for trading a WR aged beyond his years for a QB just getting his shot.

For the OP, I feel your pain. In one of my leagues, we trim our roster from 23 down to 15 before the rookie/FA draft. Most of the other owners have a few studs, then weak a couple mediocre, and not much as far as prospects go. They will be struggling to figure out the last 5 guys to keep (I'm guessing most of them keep their D/ST just because the rest of their rosters are pretty yucky). I wouldn't say I have a stacked team, but I think it's solid from top to bottom. I've got 16 legitimate guys I'd feel good about keeping right now, and figuring out which one to drop will be difficult.

My hope is that before our roster trim deadline, I'll be able to package together a few of these guys for a better player. This kind of goes along with what some others have said....maybe don't try to trade the prospect guys straight up, but package a few together (or with a better player) to try and get a better deal.
Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen. -Albert Einstein

"I am sending you out like sheep among wolves. Therefore be as shrewd as snakes and as innocent as doves." -Matthew 10:16

DYNOmite
All Pro
All Pro

Postby DYNOmite » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:44 am

ericanadian wrote:I picked up Pead and Jenkins off waivers, so that pretty much sums up how people are handling it.
That's just crazy. I don't understand while people even draft players if they aren't even going to give them a season to develop.

thriftyrocker
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby thriftyrocker » Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:52 am

DYNOmite wrote:
ericanadian wrote:I picked up Pead and Jenkins off waivers, so that pretty much sums up how people are handling it.
That's just crazy. I don't understand while people even draft players if they aren't even going to give them a season to develop.
Depends on the format. I'm high enough on Pead but when he was dropped in my 10x23 I didn't even claim him. Would have to drop someone getting carries to do it. And AJ Jenkins? Guys like Shorts and Givens are still on waivers here, so there's no reason to hold long term. But in every other league, the strategy changes dramatically and I'd drop my whole waiver budget for a guy like Pead.

hamburglar
All Pro
All Pro

Postby hamburglar » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:37 am

i picked up pead off waiver in one league (35 man rosters) cannot believe someone cut him in a league with rosters that big. I also got Lamichael James in TWO league off waivers (one league 35 man rosters- once again I was stunned... the other league is 19 man rosters with mandatory backups at every position) I understood the owner dropping him in the smaller roster size league more.. but I still was quick to scoop him up.