Wes Welker = Toxic Asset ??

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
sn1p3r
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Wes Welker = Toxic Asset ??

Postby sn1p3r » Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:59 pm

With the news that no long term deal was reached today between the Patriots and Wes Welker does this officially mark the end of his dynasty fantasy value?

I am trying to decide the likeliest scenario for his future, but I honestly don't see any way he ends up back with New England after this year (Unless the evil mastermind decides to cut him out of the playcalling this season to drive down his value in free agency).

What does everyone else think? Does Welker have any value on another roster in the future? What value do you place on him for trading purposes?

joeday
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Wes Welker = Toxic Asset ??

Postby joeday » Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:13 pm

I have him in 1 or 2 leagues and I think you have to wait him out. If I am contending then I will keep him and hopefully ride him to the playoffs since 2012 should be business as usual. If I am rebuilding and mid-way thru the season another owner is a WR away from contending then I try to move him.
BERLIN BOMBERS (0 – 0)
1996 | 2005 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014 | 2017 – πŸ†
1999 | 2000 | 2019 | 2020 – πŸ₯ˆ

14 team | 4 keepers | non ppr | est. 1996
QB –
RB – Christian McCaffrey | Josh Jacobs
WR – AJ Brown | CeeDee Lamb
TE –

ROCKY MOUNTAIN MASTODONS (0 – 0)
2011 | 2013 | 2015 | 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2020 – πŸ†
2008 | 2012 | 2014 | 2019 – πŸ₯ˆ

12 team | 10 keepers | non ppr | est. 2001
QB – Joe Burrow
RB – Tony Pollard | Kenneth Walker III | Rhamondre Stevenson
WR – Justin Jefferson | Stefon Diggs | DK Metcalf | Tee Higgins | Jameson Williams
TE – Trey McBride

Overall 2024 Regular Season Record: 0 – 0

Chris_R
MVP
MVP

Postby Chris_R » Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:35 pm

I am trying to honestly think of what I would offer for Welker. This year he very well could carry your team to the championship in a ppr league, but then again, how much does Brandon Lloyd dip into his numbers? How much do the two TE's get? I still see a very good season from him, but I don't know if I know for sure that he has 1 huge season left and if he doesn't have that then why would you trade anything worthwhile for a rental? It's really hard for me to gauge his value from an owner who wouldn't mind trading for him, I don't own him in any leagues but if I did I'm pretty sure I would ride it out this year and hope for the best.
12 Team ppr Dynasty IDP Superflex
1 QB, 1 QB/RB, 1 RB, 1 WR, RB/WR, WR/TE, 1 TE, 2 DL, 2 LB, 2 DB, 2 DL/LB/DB

QB: Dak Prescott/Kyler Murray
RB: Jonathan Taylor/James Robinson/D'Onta Foreman/Chris Hubbard/Keontay Ingram
WR: Jamar Chase/Diontae Johnson/Amron St Brown/Courtland Sutton/Rondale Moore/Donovan Peoples-Jones/Christian Watson
TE: Dalton Schultz/Gerald Everett/Greg Dulcich/Jeremy Ruckert

DL: Joey Bosa/Khalil Mack
LB: Leighton Vander Esch/Tremaine Edmunds/Blake Martinez/Telvin Smith/Sean Lee
DB: Earl Thomas/Keanu Neal/Minkah Fitzpatrick/John Johnson

Picks: 2023(three)

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:13 pm

Welker put up 67 rec, 687 yrds in his final year in Miami. Not impressed? Well, his primary QB was Joey Harrington with cameos from Daunte Culpepper and Cleo Lemon. He was the number three receiver behind Chris Chambers and Marty Booker, but finished just behind Booker for the number one spot in yards.

His value is definitely going to drop once he leaves New England, but he'll still get you a few more seasons of 90 rec & 1,000 yards in my opinion. Couple that with on final contract year and I think he's a good buy-low candidate if his owner if you can find a panicked owner.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

dresden
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby dresden » Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:45 pm

The Patriots have a history of getting rid of players before they hit the cliff. I never expected the Patriots to sign Welker to a long term deal. The only way they'll sign him for more than one year is if he takes a salary that corresponds to significantly less production than he actually provides. I look at him as a high quality asset for a championship contender and a nearly useless asset for a rebuilding team.
12 team, PPR, 4 pt QB TDs, 25 ret yds/pt.
Start: 1 QB, 1 RB, 1 WR, 1 TE, 4 RB/WR/TE

QB: M Ryan, B Bortles, D Carr;
RB: L McCoy, J Stewart, L Murray, T Riddick, R Turbin, K Robinson, K Carey, J Gray, K Williams;
WR: Julio, S Watkins, J Matthews, K Allen, J Landry, M Crabtree, C Patterson, P Harvin, R Woods, P Garcon, M Wilson, A Holmes, J Janis (TS);
TE: C Clay, D Pitta, J Gresham, R Rodgers, L Wilson

Tattoo
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby Tattoo » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:48 am

Mentioned in the first post was what if New England changes its playcalling to limit Welker's opportunities to drive down his value. I can't see a team like the Patriots who are competing for a championship every year do something like that. However, maybe they start to throw downfield more as a way of transitioning away from the shorter game. It seems unlikely Welker will return next year but stranger things have happened. I would still keep Welker if I was an owner and it might be worth it to try and send out some feeler offers to try and pry him away from a worried owner.

dresden
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby dresden » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:53 am

Tattoo wrote:Mentioned in the first post was what if New England changes its playcalling to limit Welker's opportunities to drive down his value. I can't see a team like the Patriots who are competing for a championship every year do something like that. However, maybe they start to throw downfield more as a way of transitioning away from the shorter game. It seems unlikely Welker will return next year but stranger things have happened. I would still keep Welker if I was an owner and it might be worth it to try and send out some feeler offers to try and pry him away from a worried owner.
I agree. New England is going to make the play calls that give them the best chance of winning and Brady is going to throw to the guys that give them the best chance of scoring points.
12 team, PPR, 4 pt QB TDs, 25 ret yds/pt.
Start: 1 QB, 1 RB, 1 WR, 1 TE, 4 RB/WR/TE

QB: M Ryan, B Bortles, D Carr;
RB: L McCoy, J Stewart, L Murray, T Riddick, R Turbin, K Robinson, K Carey, J Gray, K Williams;
WR: Julio, S Watkins, J Matthews, K Allen, J Landry, M Crabtree, C Patterson, P Harvin, R Woods, P Garcon, M Wilson, A Holmes, J Janis (TS);
TE: C Clay, D Pitta, J Gresham, R Rodgers, L Wilson

tstafford
GOAT
GOAT

Postby tstafford » Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:00 am

I can't help his value. Many people believe that Welker is a product of the system/Brady. Whether that's true or not isn't relevant. If a lot of people think it, it drives his value down. This question was about Value not what can reasonably be expected in terms of Future Production. Unfortunately those two things are often not correlated.

Mangelo
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Mangelo » Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:06 am

Tough to call a producer like Welker a toxic asset.

Try owning guys like Roy Williams and Sidney Rice. Now those are toxic.

Spinkso
Captain
Captain

Postby Spinkso » Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:48 pm

Ross Tucker tweeted this yesterday... "Tired of hearing Welker is "system" guy. EVERY team has slot WR. Same routes. He's unstoppable. Rare player."
I agree 100% People can say he's a scheme player, but every team in the NFL uses the slot. A lot. He is the most dominant player in the slot ever. His 600 catches in 5 years with a bum ACL in the middle of that run is evidence of it.
What happens if at this time next year he's in New Orleans... If he did, he'd be a serious contender for 150 receptions. Welker is a stud.

Spinkso
Captain
Captain

Postby Spinkso » Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:58 pm

dresden wrote:
Tattoo wrote:Mentioned in the first post was what if New England changes its playcalling to limit Welker's opportunities to drive down his value. I can't see a team like the Patriots who are competing for a championship every year do something like that. However, maybe they start to throw downfield more as a way of transitioning away from the shorter game. It seems unlikely Welker will return next year but stranger things have happened. I would still keep Welker if I was an owner and it might be worth it to try and send out some feeler offers to try and pry him away from a worried owner.
I agree. New England is going to make the play calls that give them the best chance of winning and Brady is going to throw to the guys that give them the best chance of scoring points.
The Pats wouldn't change their play calling to stick it to Welker and limit his production. The window closes with Brady, they don't have time to play these kind of games. Welker is Tom Brady's security blanket. Welker will produce as he has for the past 5 years.

Spinkso
Captain
Captain

Postby Spinkso » Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:59 pm

dresden wrote:The Patriots have a history of getting rid of players before they hit the cliff. I never expected the Patriots to sign Welker to a long term deal. The only way they'll sign him for more than one year is if he takes a salary that corresponds to significantly less production than he actually provides. I look at him as a high quality asset for a championship contender and a nearly useless asset for a rebuilding team.
Saying all of that, it's not like the Patriots have a really good track record with WR's. They've had Welker and Moss, and then a revolving door of garbage, marginal players, dumpster fire, and more marginal players.

Richman
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Richman » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:36 pm

Welker is getting 9 million this year. Even if they don't get a deal done next year and he's tagged again, he'll get about 11 or 12. Welker is in New England for 2 years at the least and I can't see a deal not coming together by year 3, though Welker will have to take a cut of income by then.
gangsta blue *League Champ*(1QB,2RB,2WR,1TE,1K,1D) 12 Team/20 Player
QB:A Rodgers
WR:Fitz,Nicks,Maclin,Garcon,D.Rodgers
RB:Rice,McCoy,R Mathews,Stacy,Michaels,Hunter,J.Bell,K.Davis,Leshoure,M.James,L.Murray
TE:Cameron,Ertz,A.Robinson

Blue Droogie(1QB,2RB,2WR,1TE,1Flex,1K,1D) 16 Team/20 Player
QB:P Manning,Luck,Mallett
WR:Nicks,D Thomas,Garcon,Thompkins
RB:Rice,Forte,Mathews,Vereen,Helu,K.Davis,L.Murray
TE:Cameron,Rudolph,A.Robinson

Chris_R
MVP
MVP

Postby Chris_R » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:58 am

rcicack wrote:Welker is getting 9 million this year. Even if they don't get a deal done next year and he's tagged again, he'll get about 11 or 12. Welker is in New England for 2 years at the least and I can't see a deal not coming together by year 3, though Welker will have to take a cut of income by then.

What incentive would they have to tag him two years in a row then sign him to a deal that locks up a bunch of guaranteed money to an old WR? If they wanted him for 3-5 years it would be done now, and save them some relief on the cap hit. There is absolutely no chance he re-signs with them if he's tagged two years in a row. I'm not sure how much good football he has left, but in 3 years, there would be no reasonable answer as to why they would then decide they want him for 3 more years.
12 Team ppr Dynasty IDP Superflex
1 QB, 1 QB/RB, 1 RB, 1 WR, RB/WR, WR/TE, 1 TE, 2 DL, 2 LB, 2 DB, 2 DL/LB/DB

QB: Dak Prescott/Kyler Murray
RB: Jonathan Taylor/James Robinson/D'Onta Foreman/Chris Hubbard/Keontay Ingram
WR: Jamar Chase/Diontae Johnson/Amron St Brown/Courtland Sutton/Rondale Moore/Donovan Peoples-Jones/Christian Watson
TE: Dalton Schultz/Gerald Everett/Greg Dulcich/Jeremy Ruckert

DL: Joey Bosa/Khalil Mack
LB: Leighton Vander Esch/Tremaine Edmunds/Blake Martinez/Telvin Smith/Sean Lee
DB: Earl Thomas/Keanu Neal/Minkah Fitzpatrick/John Johnson

Picks: 2023(three)

general mills
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby general mills » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:45 am

Could this be the reason that NE is lining Hernandez out of the TE position more? A larger version of Welker, getting the slant routes and moving the ball.