Starting new dynasty league. Need help/ advice

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Ttintn
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Starting new dynasty league. Need help/ advice

Postby Ttintn » Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:43 am

I am starting a 10 team ppr auction dynasty league for the first time. The initial draft seems straight foreward enough but I have some concerns about future years. First and foremost is the value of the kept players. The league will have an initial draft cap of $200 per team. Next year, how do I a put a value on those players drafted at a certain price this year? If Aaron Rogers is drafted for $40 this year and kept how do you determine his worth? It seems I want to create a salary cap league.. Is that cap then $200? I want to give the league $100 per year to bid on and pick up free agents, how are these players values determined if kept? Also if the cap is $200 then how does a owner go about creating enough room to pick up any free agents during the year? Also I don't really wsnt to deal with contracts for players just overall value. Any advice is apprecired. Thank you for all your help
& advice.

Chickensoup
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Re: Starting new dynasty league. Need help/ advice

Postby Chickensoup » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:00 am

Is this a dynasty or a keeper league? that seems to be the big question. If it's going to be a true dynasty league the players on the teams are just....well on the teams unless you put in some sort of contract system. If you want a contract system, the initial auction value might not be the best way to do it (though others will have to tell you about contract leagues if thats what you want, i have very little experience even thinking about them).

If it's a dynasty league generally for rookie drafts the following years you will use just either a snake (not recommended) or NFL style draft for rookies/unclaimed players, the auction budget doesnt factor into it.

Keeper leagues (if thats what you are doing) its a different story, you can use really one of 3 methods when doing an auction.
1) Keep however many players you set it at without regard to how much they went for in the initial auction. redraft portion is auction or snake if you wanted
2) Keep players for their initial auction value but you lose that amount out of your redraft portions auction budget (i.e rodgers went for $40 so you start with $160)
3) same as 2 above but every year you add a certain amount to the auction amount. Example Rodgers went for $40, next year you can keep him for $44, then $48, then $52 etc etc
12 team 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1Flex 1K 2DL 2LB 2DB 1DFlex 35 man
QB: Rodgers, Schaub, Ponder
RB: Charles, S.Jackson, Stewart, Hillis, Starks, Jones, Goodson, Gerhart, Smith
WR: Jennings, Maclin, S. Johnson, Garçon, Lafell, L.Moore, E.Sanders, Ochocinco, Hilton
TE: Gates, J.Cook, L.Green, K.Davis
K:Lawrence Tynes
DL: Watt, Shreard, C.Dunlap
LB: Willis, Laurenitis, Angerer
DB: Berry, Chung, T. Williams

MR ROURKE
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby MR ROURKE » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:10 am

To be a dynasty league, you have a $200 cap, but you need to set the number of contract years available for teams to use each year. A player can typically be signed 1 to 4 or 5 years. So A.Rodgers being won in the bidding for $40 would then be signed to x number of years. That is the simpliest. Some leagues add other factors that effect the plaeyrs value each year, but sometimes that is more work then it's worth.

Ttintn
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby Ttintn » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:41 am

Thank y'all very much. I def gave me something to think on, appreciate it.

Ttintn
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby Ttintn » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:47 am

In the contract @ The end of his contract does he go back into the fa pool? Or can the owner resign him? If back in the pool is he then reaquired using another auction? Or a nfl style draft w/ the rookies?

MR ROURKE
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby MR ROURKE » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:29 am

Ttintn wrote:In the contract @ The end of his contract does he go back into the fa pool? Or can the owner resign him? If back in the pool is he then reaquired using another auction? Or a nfl style draft w/ the rookies?
Depends on your rules.

- you could have tags
- the player could just be lost to f/a
- you could have set format of contract extension availalble.
- I'm sure the are an endless number of possibilities to handle the end of a contract.

I think there is a SC bylaws area somewhere on there, maybe stickied (maybe not stickied) in the salary cap area that can give you come ideas.

Ttintn
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby Ttintn » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:16 am

Martin

Begin forwarded message:

Date: July 12, 2012 10:49:58 AM EDT
To: bkmrgreen@yahoo.com, Herpes Vangina Patton <vancepatton22@gmail.com>, ttintn@yahoo.com
Subject: Take a look & tell me what you think.

Hello lady & gentlemen,

Allow me to welcome you to our brand new venture in the addiction that is fantasy football. This league will be a DYNASTY auction league. This is key because it is not just a one year shot. The point is to build a team that is consistently competing for a championship now & for years into the future. I hope to have a very competitive league where everyone does thier best & puts forth the time & effort needed to field the best possiable team. However, the first & most important goal is to have fun!

A. The league

This league is going to be a 10 team league. 

1. Scoring--- The league will be a 1pt PPR ( points per reception) league. Any running or receiving touchdown will be worth 6 points. A throwing touchdown will be worth 5 points. Any fumble lost or interception will cost the played -2 points. Rushing & receiving yards will be calculated at a 1 point per 10 yard rate, while throwing yards will be at 1 point for 25 yards. Return yardage can also be used to get points at a rate of 1 point per 25 yards. Any special team score will be attributed to both the player AND the defense. This will be at 6 points per touchdown. A more comprehensive list is available on yahoo. If you have any questions feel free to ask. 

2. Commissioner  --- I, Martin Chapman, will be the Commissioner of this league. Ricky Wortman & Van Patton will be the co-commissioners. If you have any questions or concerns any of us will be happy to help you. 

3. Drafting --- As mentioned this will be an auction league. 
        a.    Each team will receive an starting amount of $200 to use in the initial draft. This money will be used to fill the 16 roster spots that are available. The initial draft will be made up of both rookie & veteran players. Once an owner wins a bid for a player that winning bid price is deducted from from your total. 
      b.  After the initial draft the only players that will be drafted in later years will be rookies. All other players will be fa and available to be added to your team. 

4. Free agents (fa) & waiver wire picks--- After the initial draft every team will be given an additional budget of $100. This money will be used to acquire free agents & players off the waiver wire. This is called Free Agent Acquisition Budget (FAAB).  Free agents are determined on a bidding basis - just like the draft - with each team putting in a weekly bid for free agents and the highest-bidding owner winning that player. The money each team spends on free agents is subtracted from his or her FAAB, and when all of the money is gone, no more transactions can be made. That being said if an owner drops a player their worth is Then recouped & can be used to bid & acquire other players. 

5. The hard cap. --- The cap for this league will be $300. No team may go over this cap either by trade off any form of player acquisition. Any trade that brings a team over the $300 cap will be vetoed. 

6. Trades -- The commissioner & co-commissioners will look at and decide if a trade will go through. For simplistic purposes all trades will be player for player only. Any trades involving a commissioner will be put to a league vote. If the majority of the league not involved in the trade veto the trade it will be rejected. 

7. Playoffs --- The top 4 teams teams in the league will makes the playoffs and play of the championship. This will take place during weeks 15 & 16 of the season.  

8. Pay out --- Pay out will be 1st--$ 500 2nd-- $300 & most points (at the end of regular season)-- $200
9. Kept players--- All players kept on a team will be subject to a $5 increase in value per year kept by the team they were drafted by. A kept player is any player on a team for longer than 10 weeks. This will ensure that any player that is kept for a long period of increase his value against the cap the following season. If a player is dropped & goes back to the fa pool or waivers their value is $1 until acquired by any team. At the the time of acquisition that player is then worth what the owner paid to get him. If a player clears waivers then he can picked up by any team for $1. 

All of these are subject to change after discussion until the beginning of the 1st season. We will figure out the rookie draft at a later date. Thank you. Please contact me if you have any questions, concerns, or suggestions on how we can make this the best possible league!

That's what initially have come up w/ thoughts? Went away from The contracts because thought this was a more simplistic way of doing it.

general mills
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby general mills » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:33 am

So there will be no trading of draft picks? I am not sure what is meant by a hard cap when you say you went away from contracts?

Ttintn
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby Ttintn » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:50 am

I don't see you have draft picks in an auction league? Unless rookies are drafted w/o using a bidding system. The contact system as far as I understood it limited your roster based on total years given to each player. I thought that using a pure monetary cap would be easier. Do you know if yahoo keeps track of things like that for you? Or perhaps another service?

general mills
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby general mills » Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:24 pm

Gotcha! I read it as you were doing only the start up as an auction. My bad. When you said that trades would be for players only made me think that there was something else to trade. I don't believe yahoo does, I think the only site that does would be MFL but I could be wrong.

Ttintn
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby Ttintn » Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:40 pm

Ok thanks. Trying to get my head around it all, much more involovrf then I 1st thought.

MR ROURKE
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby MR ROURKE » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:16 am

You can't trade cap space or contract years? That's weird to me. How can you trade a player that has a contract and salary, if you aren't allowed to trade those items seperately to attempt to even out trades?

What I've done with trade and commish trades is have a commish and two co-commish. 2 of 3 yes's and the trade goes through. If the trade involves a commish, then the last place team votes on the trade in that commish's or co-sommish place. Or you could just trust your league members and all trades are approved unless 2 of the 3 question the trade has elements of collusion. I'm not in favor of reviewing trades for approval, because you are basically forcing your player values onto others. Especially in a salary cap league, where salary cap money can be one of the most valuable thing around at times. In salary cap leagues, you have to do trades that wouldn't be done in a normal league just to move money and contracts around to be able to manage your team/prepare for the future. So, it's not any where near as black and white as people new to salary caps might think it is.

Ttintn
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby Ttintn » Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:18 am

Well in my vision we wouldn't have contract years. A player is worth x amount and that goes up a certain amount every year. With a cap set @ 300 as long as the total worth on your roster didn't exceed that an owner was in the clear. For example if I draft DMC for $30 this year next year he's worth 33 if I keep him on the roster. If I trade him to an owner that owner must have The cap space to take on his salary. Basically each and every player is on a 1 year contract and the owner has the option to renew it for a slight penalty.
Does that seem fair?

Your trade policy seems sound think I'll definantly adopt it. thanks