Andre Johnson for Stevie Johnson

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
DAG
Captain
Captain

Andre Johnson for Stevie Johnson

Postby DAG » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:35 am

This trade just happened in my league and wanted to get everyones opinion on pure value. It is pretty obvious which team got the better value to me.
Team A gets Andre Johnson
Team B gets Stevie Johnson, Ben Tate, 2013 1st
Krispy Kareem Donuts

12 team 22 man roster .5 ppr std 6 pt td for all. Start QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, TE, K, ST

Goff, Mariota
Mack, K Hunt, J Adams, A Jones, J Richard, I Smith, E McGuire, Lynch, Ballage
M Thomas, Godwin, Fitzgerald, Agholor, Doctson, T Smith, D Parker, Kumerow
Kittle, Herndon

ccj
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Re: Andre Johnson for Stevie Johnson

Postby ccj » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:57 am

Dependent on the teams involved.
A deep team may never start Stevie Johnson, but Andre Johnson has top 2 potential. I doubt he'll reach that, but he's got potential and certainly has potential to crack a starting line up over Stevie. Stevie is what he is 80-1000-7.

I'd say the value is weighted towards the team getting Stevie, Tate, and 2013 1st, but it really depends on the team. We could be talking about two guys who will never start, a late 2013 pick for the second best fantasy WR in the game. That seems to make Team A a huge winner.

mullmania
MVP
MVP

Postby mullmania » Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:09 pm

Umm on what type of squad is Stevie Johnson not starting?

One with 4 top 20 wrs? One that only starts 2?

I don't get it.

Stevie finished as the #21st WR last year and #10 in 2010.

Jfever
Legend
Legend

Postby Jfever » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:34 pm

Well, Stevie wouldn't start for either of my squads.
Truth is found through Evidence.

Science is the poetry of reality.

* Reality (as defined by Webster's dictionary) - A word for things as they actually exist, as opposed to an idealistic or notional ideal of them.

Jfever
Legend
Legend

Postby Jfever » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:37 pm

Maybe my wr #4 on first team listed and probably wr #3 on second team. I guess in that league I could start 3 wrs so he'd prob be in before Blackmon, Brown, and Lafell but ya never know.

* Reality (as defined by Webster's dictionary) - A word for things as they actually exist, as opposed to an idealistic or notional ideal of them.

cleanwillyb
Captain
Captain

Postby cleanwillyb » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:43 pm

Mullmania wrote:Umm on what type of squad is Stevie Johnson not starting?...
Realistically, on a championship team. I don't think it's outlandish at all for Johnson to be nothing more than a bye-week filler on a great, championship-caliber team.

To answer the OP's question though, I would say Team B got more overall value, but I can certainly see plenty of legit arguments for wanting the AJ side if you felt your team was only an elite WR away from championship contention.
16 team 0.5 PPR IDP dynasty league. 5th Season.
QB: D. Brees, M. Stafford
RB: L. McCoy, D. Martin, J. Charles, R. Mendenhall, D. Wilson
WR: C. Johnson, H. Nicks, A. Green, J. Jones, R. Meachem
TE: J. Graham, J. Finley
DL: JPP, C. Johnson, J. Tuck
LB: S. Lee, J. Lauranaitis, C. McCarthy, J. Beason, D. Bishop,
CB: J. Haden, R. Sherman
S: P. Chung, M. Burnett, B. Pollard
2010-2012 Champ

Jfever
Legend
Legend

Postby Jfever » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:48 pm

cleanwillyb wrote:
Mullmania wrote:Umm on what type of squad is Stevie Johnson not starting?...
Realistically, on a championship team. I don't think it's outlandish at all for Johnson to be nothing more than a bye-week filler on a great, championship-caliber team.

To answer the OP's question though, I would say Team B got more overall value, but I can certainly see plenty of legit arguments for wanting the AJ side if you felt your team was only an elite WR away from championship contention.

Thank you for the complement (kinda) Clean Willy. :dance: :clap:

I agree on your take though. For some teams it would make sense to do that trade and one could make it make sense depending on the rest of their specific team's roster.

nation31
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby nation31 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:23 am

Stevie doesnt start for my team; he may but is not slotted in the lineup as of now.

Chris_R
MVP
MVP

Postby Chris_R » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:12 am

Team B got more value, but it's not like it's a landslide. Tate is stuck as a handcuff for a good while and only has value in the case of an injury, there are a bunch of players like that ie Rashad Jennings, so while talented not like he's a guy you can start. That 1st could end up being a late 1st and amounts to nothing. If Andre can have 1 more dominant season left, in the ball park of 100/1500/8 and 1 more pro bowl type season afterwards, that trumps the production of Stevie Johnson and if it gives owner A a better shot at winning a championship it's well worth it for a RB that he likely can't start right now and a future pick.

Maybe his other 2 WR's are Welker and Randy Moss or something, and once you get to where some of your studs are aging you can make trades like going after Andre for another run or 2 and then rebuild afterwards. I personally don't want anything to do with AJ at his age, injury concern, and price tag, but there is a very realistic chance he can be a top 3 WR for a few more seasons and carry a team.
12 Team ppr Dynasty IDP Superflex
1 QB, 1 QB/RB, 1 RB, 1 WR, RB/WR, WR/TE, 1 TE, 2 DL, 2 LB, 2 DB, 2 DL/LB/DB

QB: Dak Prescott/Kyler Murray
RB: Jonathan Taylor/James Robinson/D'Onta Foreman/Chris Hubbard/Keontay Ingram
WR: Jamar Chase/Diontae Johnson/Amron St Brown/Courtland Sutton/Rondale Moore/Donovan Peoples-Jones/Christian Watson
TE: Dalton Schultz/Gerald Everett/Greg Dulcich/Jeremy Ruckert

DL: Joey Bosa/Khalil Mack
LB: Leighton Vander Esch/Tremaine Edmunds/Blake Martinez/Telvin Smith/Sean Lee
DB: Earl Thomas/Keanu Neal/Minkah Fitzpatrick/John Johnson

Picks: 2023(three)

mullmania
MVP
MVP

Postby mullmania » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:02 am

My bad with the Stevie starting comments. They were a little short sighted, although I do think he is constantly overlooked.

I'm new to this dynasty thing and Stevie was my WR 3 that I drafted in a startup. I drafted Lloyd as a 4 so heck Stevie may not even start for me, other than at flex.

standard_variance
Starter
Starter

Postby standard_variance » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:32 am

Guys.....lets be serious here......

mathematically this isnt even a question in a dynasty league....

The last 2 years

currently 26 yr old Stevie
82-1070-10
76-1000-7

vs

currently 31 yr old AJ
projected (106-1500-10)
projected (88-1300-5)

If I could get 5 years younger AND get a pick AND a highly valued commodity in Ben Tate.....in a heartbeat I do it.......what more are you going to get? Stevie Johnson can still start for you. And at least you know his age isnt catching up to him.....
"We must be keenly alive to the defects of our own faith also, yet not leave it on that account, but try to overcome those defects." -Ghandi

There is a difference between argument, and dogmatic assertion. Argument leaves room for change, and improvement, dogma only leaves room for acceptance.

In honor of Gino - "Strong Fantasy Quarterbacks are the cornerstone to any successful Dynasty team"

ccj
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby ccj » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:39 am

standard_variance wrote:Guys.....lets be serious here......

mathematically this isnt even a question in a dynasty league....

The last 2 years

currently 26 yr old Stevie
82-1070-10
76-1000-7

vs

currently 31 yr old AJ
projected (106-1500-10)
projected (88-1300-5)

If I could get 5 years younger AND get a pick AND a highly valued commodity in Ben Tate.....in a heartbeat I do it.......what more are you going to get? Stevie Johnson can still start for you. And at least you know his age isnt catching up to him.....
If you have any confidence in those AJ projections then getting AJ is a huge win. Two years is an eternity. AJ wins championships, Stevie gets you to the playoffs.

cleanwillyb
Captain
Captain

Postby cleanwillyb » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:04 pm

ccj wrote:...Two years is an eternity. AJ wins championships, Stevie gets you to the playoffs.
Spot on.
16 team 0.5 PPR IDP dynasty league. 5th Season.
QB: D. Brees, M. Stafford
RB: L. McCoy, D. Martin, J. Charles, R. Mendenhall, D. Wilson
WR: C. Johnson, H. Nicks, A. Green, J. Jones, R. Meachem
TE: J. Graham, J. Finley
DL: JPP, C. Johnson, J. Tuck
LB: S. Lee, J. Lauranaitis, C. McCarthy, J. Beason, D. Bishop,
CB: J. Haden, R. Sherman
S: P. Chung, M. Burnett, B. Pollard
2010-2012 Champ

dlf_jacobf
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby dlf_jacobf » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:18 pm

If I'm a team that doesn't have a realistic shot to win things this year, I would take that haul for Andre Johnson in a heartbeat! I get a quality (and undervalued) WR in Johnson that is several years younger, I get a RB that might (a big might) be a RB1 somewhere down the road, and I get a 1st round pick next year. If it is a rebuilding team, this is about as good as it gets! If you're not a Tate fan, trade him to someone that is. They aren't hard to find! Probably get another 1st round pick and a player out of it. So that's two first round picks and Stevie Johnson for Andre Johnson.

Big win for the team selling Andre Johnson if they aren't in the hunt this year.

standard_variance
Starter
Starter

Postby standard_variance » Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:57 pm

What makes everyone here believe that one can win with Andre Johnson and not with Stevie Johnson? Yes its a step down. But its a much smaller step down tha everyone thinks it is considering the direction AJ's production and health has been going in the past few years. He just got a knee operation done in May. To me AJ to Stevie is a lateral dynasty move, everything else is just icing on the cake..

Could you imagine if someone gave you Ryan Mathews/Demarco Murray/TRich, AND a guy like Baldwin, AND a 1st for Adrian Peterson or MJD? Is that even a question?????? :wall: Its the same concept....
"We must be keenly alive to the defects of our own faith also, yet not leave it on that account, but try to overcome those defects." -Ghandi

There is a difference between argument, and dogmatic assertion. Argument leaves room for change, and improvement, dogma only leaves room for acceptance.

In honor of Gino - "Strong Fantasy Quarterbacks are the cornerstone to any successful Dynasty team"