David Wilson depth chart tidbit?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Captainzach1
Starter
Starter

David Wilson depth chart tidbit?

Postby Captainzach1 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:48 pm

There's news that Ware may be ahead of Wilson on the depth chart going into training camp. Does anyone think this means anything at all? I'm thinking no, but worth monitoring right?
12 team dynasty ppr salary
1 Qb, 2 RB, 3 wr, 1 te, 1 flex, 3 dl, 3 lb, 3 DB
qb- Andrew Luck
rb- Foster, McCoy, Tate, Ryan Mathews, Bryce Brown, Jstew
wr-Roddy, Steve Johnson, TY Hilton, Doug Baldwin, Josh Gordon, Brazil, Devier Posey, Benjamin, Jon Baldwin, Joe Morgan
te- Greg Olsen, Chandler
Dl- Morgan, JPP,Jordan, McClellin, Groves
lb- DJ smith,Burfict, Weatherspoon, Bishop, Kendricks, Carter
db- Brown, McClain, Jenkins
1.05, 1.09, 3.07, 5.08

jimjim90
Rookie
Rookie

Re: David Wilson depth chart tidbit?

Postby jimjim90 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:10 pm

I didn't take it very seriously. I would guess this is a motivational tool for Wilson. Even if Ware opens up the season ahead of Wilson, I doubt it will last. The Giants know what they have in Ware - a backup RB. I think they are eager to see what Wilson brings to the table - it's only a matter of time before he gets his shot. I would be more concerned about Da'Rel Scott than D.J. Ware.
16 team dynasty league, salary cap, .5 PPR, return yards, IDP

QB: Prescott, T. Taylor, Manuel
RB: Gurley, D. Martin, Abdullah, Duke Johnson, Foreman, Zenner, B. Cunningham
WR: Cooks, K. Benjamin, Jeffery, C. Coleman, Treadwell, Kupp, R. Anderson, T. Sharpe, E. Rogers
TE: Ebron, D. Sims, J. Graham, C. Brate

tstafford
GOAT
GOAT

Postby tstafford » Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:15 am

Captainzach1 wrote:There's news that Ware may be ahead of Wilson on the depth chart going into training camp. Does anyone think this means anything at all? I'm thinking no, but worth monitoring right?
I'd venture a guess that the reason this is the case is that Ware has shown that he can pass block somewhat (25% of his 2011 snaps had him pass blocking). Eli Manning got sacked way too much last year and Wilson is going to have to learn how to help protect him before he gets much playing time.

I'm not sure what people are expecting from David Wilson, but IMO his upside for 2012 is as a reasonable option as a bye-week, injury filler. The Giants ranked 22nd in the NFL in rush attempts last year, I don't see a huge reason for that to change. Let's say that run the ball 420 times. Figure 80 or so go to Ware, Scott, Eli or some other player that isn't helping you. That leaves 340 for Bradshaw and Wilson. Wilson won't get much early on so let's say aggressively that he ends up with 30% for the season - that's about 100 carries. (FWIW - That math also has Bradshaw getting about the same workload as last year). As for Wilson, not close to enough to be anything more than a bye week guy.

Captainzach1
Starter
Starter

Postby Captainzach1 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:42 am

I'm hoping to grab Wilson in our draft and I've been set on that for a few weeks now. Usually when I get scared off and do something different at the last minute I end up being wrong. So I think I'm still going to take him and possibly put him on my practice squad. I have no expectations for this year either, unless Bradshaw gets hurt.
12 team dynasty ppr salary
1 Qb, 2 RB, 3 wr, 1 te, 1 flex, 3 dl, 3 lb, 3 DB
qb- Andrew Luck
rb- Foster, McCoy, Tate, Ryan Mathews, Bryce Brown, Jstew
wr-Roddy, Steve Johnson, TY Hilton, Doug Baldwin, Josh Gordon, Brazil, Devier Posey, Benjamin, Jon Baldwin, Joe Morgan
te- Greg Olsen, Chandler
Dl- Morgan, JPP,Jordan, McClellin, Groves
lb- DJ smith,Burfict, Weatherspoon, Bishop, Kendricks, Carter
db- Brown, McClain, Jenkins
1.05, 1.09, 3.07, 5.08

xlote
Starter
Starter

Postby xlote » Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:50 am

In general don't count on rookies to produce especially on the Giants among others.

Cody
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Cody » Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:14 am

Before the NFL combine I was sky high on Wilson, but as I started digging deeper then watching his highlight reel on youtube he began to fall down my board.

1) If you take out the wk 1 appalachian st (non div1 team out) he only scored 6 Rush TDs (7 total) in 13 games... in a weak ACC
2) He has been hyped up as a homerun hitter speed scat back, then ran a 4.49 at the combine followed up by a high hand clocked 4.3 at his proday only after a real quality sales job by his coach.
3) Only had 37 catches in his career at VT making it hard for me to buy the impact 3rd down back evaluation.

Don't get me wrong I still feel hes a 1st rounder in a rookie draft but I believe he's atleast a year away. Even if Bradshaw goes down I'm doubting Wilson could carry the load. If your expecting him to be a big time impact guy(I do believe he has this ceiling) this year your probably a year or 2 early.
10team keep 10 roster 20 - 2QB 3WR 2RB 1TE 1Flex 1K 1DEF .5 ppr (Year 10)

QB - Drew Brees, Andrew Luck, Case Keenum
WR - Julio Jones, Dez Bryant, Brandon Marshall, Amari Cooper, Sammy Watkins, Kevin White, Philip Dorsett
RB - David Johnson, Eddie Lacy, DeVontae Booker, Terrance West, Chris Thompson, Chris Johnson
TE - Jordan Reed, Coby Fleener
K - Justin Tucker
DEF - LA Rams

2017 picks - 3 1sts, 2nd

2010 & 2011 & 2015 League Champ
2012 - 2014 Runner-up

Scorp
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Scorp » Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:32 pm

With Jacobs gone, Bradshaw will probably get a larger share of carries, and though last year the Giants ranked last in rushing last year, they're historically above average in that department. I think Bradshaw's going to bounce back nicely this season and am expecting top 10 among rushers. He's neck and neck with Ryan Matthews and DeMarco Murray imo. Durability is about as concerning as it is with many of the other backs, but only 4 teams have scored more rushing touchdowns than the Giants have in the last five seasons, and given the potential for injury to Bradshaw, Wilson is a much needed option for fantasy owners.

MonkeyOne
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby MonkeyOne » Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:23 pm

Wait for a few weeks into the season, then buy him off depressed owners. Then wait for 2013 and smile.

tstafford
GOAT
GOAT

Postby tstafford » Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:40 am

MonkeyOne wrote:Wait for a few weeks into the season, then buy him off depressed owners. Then wait for 2013 and smile.
Right. And that could be said for a number of rookie prospects.

MR ROURKE
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby MR ROURKE » Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:51 am

Danny Ware is much more of a special teamer then a RB, so I don't think he effects the value of any RB on the Giants roster. Ware will steal a RB roster spot, but that's about it to me.

mullmania
MVP
MVP

Postby mullmania » Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:24 pm

VT ran a lot of shotgun read option plays. With the QB deciding to keep it up the middle or give it to Wilson, whose primary read was to take it outside. He has been scouted to have a propensity to always look for the big play and bounce it outside, instead of taking what the defense gives you. That simply won't work too often in the NFL. Especially on a team that ranked dead last in rushing yards and simply doesn't have a dominate running offensive line.

In fact it often blows up in college too as can be seen here by his 22 yard loss from about the 5 yard line in the Sugar Bowl.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVzLOkqKDj0

Wilson also fumbled 7 times last year. Remember what happened to Tiki and Bradshaw when they couldn't secure the ball?

holy_stromboli
MVP
MVP

Postby holy_stromboli » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:19 am

MR ROURKE wrote:Danny Ware is much more of a special teamer then a RB, so I don't think he effects the value of any RB on the Giants roster. Ware will steal a RB roster spot, but that's about it to me.
^This

I wouldn't count on Wilson for much of anything in year 1. If you draft him, you are drafting him for years 2,3,beyond.

Richman
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Richman » Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:39 pm

xlote wrote:In general don't count on rookies to produce especially on the Giants among others.
The Giants are a lot like the Steelers in they try not to rely on rookies as starters. They like to give them a year to learn and improve, of course injuries can change that at times as in the case with Nicks when Hixon went down and Hakeem took his spot.
gangsta blue *League Champ*(1QB,2RB,2WR,1TE,1K,1D) 12 Team/20 Player
QB:A Rodgers
WR:Fitz,Nicks,Maclin,Garcon,D.Rodgers
RB:Rice,McCoy,R Mathews,Stacy,Michaels,Hunter,J.Bell,K.Davis,Leshoure,M.James,L.Murray
TE:Cameron,Ertz,A.Robinson

Blue Droogie(1QB,2RB,2WR,1TE,1Flex,1K,1D) 16 Team/20 Player
QB:P Manning,Luck,Mallett
WR:Nicks,D Thomas,Garcon,Thompkins
RB:Rice,Forte,Mathews,Vereen,Helu,K.Davis,L.Murray
TE:Cameron,Rudolph,A.Robinson

pack4life
Role Player
Role Player

Postby pack4life » Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:39 pm

So, it seems the majority are down on Wilson. If that's the case Bradshaw should be a top 12 RB this year, right? From what I've seen he is ranked about 18 in dynasty and 15 in redraft ppr. Is everyone overvaluing Wilson's presence to cut into BShaw carries this year? Bshaw should be a value pick?????
QB - Brady, Fitzmagic, Dalton
RB - L. Bell, Connor, Mostert, Ingram, J. White, J. Williams, J. Jackson
WR - Hopkins, Juju, OBJ, Boyd, Jeffery, E. Sanders, Reynolds, Boykin, A. Brown
TE - Kelce
DL - Watt, Crosby
LB - Martinez, Kuechly
DB - Abram

12 team superflex IDP league PPR, passing TDs = 6pts
Start QB, RB, WR, WR, TE, DL, LB, DB Flex 3* (QB, RB,WR,TE)
*Max of 2 starting QB
30 Roster spots

Cody
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Cody » Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:20 pm

pack4life wrote:So, it seems the majority are down on Wilson. If that's the case Bradshaw should be a top 12 RB this year, right? From what I've seen he is ranked about 18 in dynasty and 15 in redraft ppr. Is everyone overvaluing Wilson's presence to cut into BShaw carries this year? Bshaw should be a value pick?????
I like Bradshaw as a buy low 1yr guy that could be an impact flex player on a team making a championship run this year, would sell him high immediately at the end of the yr if he finishes the season healthy.
10team keep 10 roster 20 - 2QB 3WR 2RB 1TE 1Flex 1K 1DEF .5 ppr (Year 10)

QB - Drew Brees, Andrew Luck, Case Keenum
WR - Julio Jones, Dez Bryant, Brandon Marshall, Amari Cooper, Sammy Watkins, Kevin White, Philip Dorsett
RB - David Johnson, Eddie Lacy, DeVontae Booker, Terrance West, Chris Thompson, Chris Johnson
TE - Jordan Reed, Coby Fleener
K - Justin Tucker
DEF - LA Rams

2017 picks - 3 1sts, 2nd

2010 & 2011 & 2015 League Champ
2012 - 2014 Runner-up