TRich's potential

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
superman13732
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

TRich's potential

Postby superman13732 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:46 am

I've only been involved in dynasty for going on three years now, and since I'm just entering my second draft looking at rookies from a fantasy perspective I am having trouble gauging how good a rookie is going to be, compared to the hype surrounding them. So this question goes out to all of the veterans of dynasty who have seen prospects come and go and who can gauge the hype/actual potential meter. I have some mixed feelings on TRich. On the one hand I hear everyone comparing him to a young AP, and worshiping the ground he walks on. I'm having trouble with that comparison for a couple of reasons, first is the type of back they are. If I remember correctly, AP was not only a dominant physical specimen he also had some serious breakaway speed. As his career progressed he lost a little of the speed, or was limited by the defensive schemes geared against him, but he was able to adapt his game to adjust to the changes around him. He also had a dominant o-line in front of him when he entered the NFL. Does Richardson have that speed? I can see him becoming a MJD type of back, which is very good don't get me wrong, but getting to the AP level of dominance? I have a hard time seeing it.

Help me here, am I off base? If I am then why? And if im not, why not?
Motor City Mayhem - 12 Team - 6pts pass TD - 1QB-2RB-2WR-1WR/TE-1TE-1K-1D/ST-1IDP (From the D/ST you start that week) - Yr 2

P. Manning, Kaepernick,
Lynch, TRich, R. Mathews, JStew, David Wilson
C. Johnson, R. White, Harvin,V. Cruz, L. Hankerson
J. Graham Witten, F. Davis

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Re: TRich's potential

Postby skip » Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:03 pm

superman13732 wrote:I can see him becoming a MJD type of back, which is very good don't get me wrong, but getting to the AP level of dominance? I have a hard time seeing it.
I can't help but note how odd this statement is...can see him becoming MJD - who has equal/better stats than AP, but not becoming AP level dominance.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

Hawks Nest 12th Man
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Hawks Nest 12th Man » Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:04 pm

Richardson is a unique talent. MJD comparison is a bit off considering Richardson is about 30 pounds heavier and 2 inches taller than MJD. A better comparison coming out of college would be Ricky Williams. Alot of these so called draft guru's all gave question marks to AP about his injury history. The only true knock you hear consistently on Richardson is he isn't AP... so what AP isn't LT and LT isn't Barry Sanders. My point as stated above Trent Richardson is a unique rb in his own right. Personally I would take him over any current rb in a dynasty league accept McCoy, Rice and Foster starting out.

Out of college Richardson vs AP
Richardson receiver +
Peterson game breaker +
Richardson ball security+
Blitz pickup+
Richardson injuries +
Richardson power +
Rest of their game you can pick or choose. These areas listed above are somewhat universal... I think : )
DONKEY PUNCHERS....12 teams start 1qb, 1rb, 2wr, 1flex rb/wr/te, te, k, d/sp, 0.5ppr, all tds 6pts, 0.1pt run/rec yd, .033pt pass yd, .04 return yd all return tds 6pts, 20 player roster, 1 IR Spot, 2pt bonus all tds over 50yds...
QBs Luck, Mayfield
RBs McCaffery, Kerryon, Drake, Breida, Gio
WRs C. Davis, T Boyd, D Hamilton, Kupp, Westbrook, MVS, Callaway
TEs Engram, Graham, Hurst
DEF/SP Bills
K Elliot

Hawks Nest 12th Man
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Hawks Nest 12th Man » Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:07 pm

skip wrote:
superman13732 wrote:I can see him becoming a MJD type of back, which is very good don't get me wrong, but getting to the AP level of dominance? I have a hard time seeing it.
I can't help but note how odd this statement is...can see him becoming MJD - who has equal/better stats than AP, but not becoming AP level dominance.
Won my 4th championship trading Maroney & Torrey Holt for MJD before his breakout. Guy is definately a stud in his own right. He is arguably better goalline back than AP , for sure better receiver and better at blitz pickup... ask Shawn Merriman ; )
DONKEY PUNCHERS....12 teams start 1qb, 1rb, 2wr, 1flex rb/wr/te, te, k, d/sp, 0.5ppr, all tds 6pts, 0.1pt run/rec yd, .033pt pass yd, .04 return yd all return tds 6pts, 20 player roster, 1 IR Spot, 2pt bonus all tds over 50yds...
QBs Luck, Mayfield
RBs McCaffery, Kerryon, Drake, Breida, Gio
WRs C. Davis, T Boyd, D Hamilton, Kupp, Westbrook, MVS, Callaway
TEs Engram, Graham, Hurst
DEF/SP Bills
K Elliot

Rag3aholik
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Rag3aholik » Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:51 pm

From what I've noticed, since he started being called "the best running back prospect since Adrian Peterson" people have started comparing him to Peterson. That's not the point. The point is that he's a transcendent talent, as AP was coming out. They are TOTALLY DIFFERENT players. Completely different styles of play. Just both are dominant. Count on T-Rich to be awesome, don't count on him to be like AP.

It's similar to the morons on NFL.com comparing Arian Foster to LaDanian Tomlinson during his breakout season. I mean, wtf?

Point being: T-Rich: Awesome. Peterson: Awesome. Totally different players.
Rag3
12 team standard league - Non-PPR - 1 year completed
Start: 1QB, 2RB, 4WR, 1TE, 3Flex
QB: Stafford,, Cutler,
RB: Spiller, Ball, Mathews, Gerhart, T-Rich, C. Michael
WR: C. Johnson, Julio Jones, AJ Green, K. Allen,, J. Hunter, D. Rogers
TE: L. Green , J. Cool

Decepticons
Start: 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE 3Flex, 1TM
QB: Cam Newton, Kyle Orton, Jimmy Garoppolo
RB: Demarco Murray, Alfred Morris, CJ Anderson Montee Ball, Jonathan Stewart, Jay Ajayi,
WR: Brandon Marshall, K. Allen, D. Hopkins, Davante Adams, Devante Parker, Jarvis Landry, Brandon Lafell, Stedman Bailey, Kenny Britt
TE: Martellus Bennett, Julius Thomas, Josh Hill, Ladarius Green{/size]

ekassor
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby ekassor » Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:25 pm

He reminds me more of Eric Dickerson than MJD

tra151
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby tra151 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:29 pm

I dont think the comparisons between Peterson and Richardson are that far off. The biggest difference I see with them is probably height. Both are large powerful backs with alot of wiggle to make defenders miss. They are capable pass catchers and goalline guys. Peterson probably has a slight edge in breakaway speed, but I don't think Richardson will be getting caught from behind on a regular basis. The biggest knock on either one of these guys coming out was probably injury concerns for Peterson. Although of I remember correctly, ap's college injuries were all a bit flukey not chronic.

To more closely answer the topic. I think it would be foolish to say that trich doesn't have the potential to be rb1 from this season on ( provided he doesn't land in a time share, which doent look likely)
10 team dynasty ppr (1qb,2rb,3wr,1te,1k,1dst)
26 man roster
QB-Rodgers, Carr, Rudolph
RB-Mixon, Guice, Cohen, Drake, Dion Lewis, Damian Harris, Darwin Thompson, Mattison, Mostert, ADP
WR-Davante Adams, Tyreek, Golladay, AJ Green, Fitz, Josh Gordon, Westbrook, Robby Anderson, N’keal Harry
TE- Kittle, Jimmy Graham
NE DST Jax DST

Steelersfan
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Steelersfan » Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:31 pm

I haven't been this excited about a RB since AP came out. Only time will tell if TRich can come close to having the kind of success that AP has had but I think he will...even if he lands on Skippers Browns. :D

jhunter3
Rookie
Rookie

Postby jhunter3 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:21 pm

Trent Richardson will be one of the greatest RBs to play the game.

MilwaukeesBest
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby MilwaukeesBest » Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:27 pm

dlf_markb wrote:I haven't been this excited about a RB since AP came out. Only time will tell if TRich can come close to having the kind of success that AP has had but I think he will...even if he lands on Skippers Browns. :D
Agreed. I see him as a shorter version of Steven Jackson. He's big and strong, can pass protect, can catch and isn't a 4.3 speed guy but has great balance and awareness that can still get him to the house.
Team 1: 10 Team, 4 Keeper League, Non-PPR
QB: Deshaun Watson
RB: Ezekiel Elliott, Leonard Fournette, Kareem Hunt
WR: Julio Jones, Dez Bryant
TE: Rob Gronkowski

superman13732
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby superman13732 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:07 am

Awesome responses everyone. Like I said, I'm still going through the educational process here, so judging potential of college players is still a struggle for me. I've actually been negotiating with the owner of the 1.1 in my league, and it sounds like it's going to take the 1.3, 1.7, and Lynch to get it. Which I was hesitant about giving up, (Lynch, Luck, and Martin/Floyd type) but you guys are giving me plenty of reasons why it's worth it. I appreciate the input!
Motor City Mayhem - 12 Team - 6pts pass TD - 1QB-2RB-2WR-1WR/TE-1TE-1K-1D/ST-1IDP (From the D/ST you start that week) - Yr 2

P. Manning, Kaepernick,
Lynch, TRich, R. Mathews, JStew, David Wilson
C. Johnson, R. White, Harvin,V. Cruz, L. Hankerson
J. Graham Witten, F. Davis

BigB
Captain
Captain

Postby BigB » Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:39 am

I agree that the AP comparisons are ridiculous, since it's his level as a RB prospect compared to AP, not his actual talent. I was initially not as high on TRich as others, but I spent the time researching him and I truly believe he's an immediate impact player. I can see him contributing from day one, and with his receiving skills, their West Coast offense, and their line I still see Cleveland as the best landing spot for him.

The big thing I liked was his off field stuff. Everything I've seen says he became more of a student of the game, no off field concerns, and he actually seems like a good guy(that ESPN story about taking the girl with cancer to the prom is just cool). He doesn't just seem like a top level prospect, but someone that can become the face of a franchise, and whoever drafts him is going to give him every chance to be a top level NFL back. For player comparisons I agree with SJax, just a little shorter. Same skill level, and could see a similar length of top level production from him as well.
10 team PPR,standard(2QB,2RB,3WR,1TE,1RB/WR/TE Flex,1 D).Cap 85 yrs/260k.26 man roster

2015:Champion
2014:Runner up
QB: Stafford 4/45k,Tyrod 3/14k, Bradford 1/15k, Glennon 3/1k, Hackenberg 3/5k
RB: Howard 3/5k, L Miller 3/22k , Rawls 2/1000, J Hill 1/1000, Perkins 3/5k, Charles 1/10k, Kelley 3/1k
WR: Hopkins 1/5k, D Adams 2/1k, Tyreek 3/1k, J Matthews 5/15k , M Jones 2/3k, Z Jones 5/10k, Boyd 3/5k, C Henderson 4/1k, A Stewart 4/1k, J Reynolds 4/1k
TE: Bennett 2/20k, Cook 1/7k, Njoku 5/10k, Higher 3/1k
Def: None

joekool
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby joekool » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:07 pm

superman13732 wrote:Awesome responses everyone. Like I said, I'm still going through the educational process here, so judging potential of college players is still a struggle for me. I've actually been negotiating with the owner of the 1.1 in my league, and it sounds like it's going to take the 1.3, 1.7, and Lynch to get it. Which I was hesitant about giving up, (Lynch, Luck, and Martin/Floyd type) but you guys are giving me plenty of reasons why it's worth it. I appreciate the input!
1.3, 1.7 and Lynch for 1.1?

Seems a hefty price to me

~ INVICTUS ~
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby ~ INVICTUS ~ » Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:13 am

You're absolutely right to ask this question, as your instincts are correct. He's not nearly the "transcendent talent" he's being made out to be. He's already had his knee scoped which people are dismissing, ignoring. He ran behind the best O-line in the best conference in College Football, yet wasn't the best RB stat wise. He does lack the long speed, change of direction that top NFL RB's possess. He has excellent balance, and he's tough. If teams like the Browns or Bucs reach for him I'd be trading him or the pick if I owned him or it. Especially the Browns. Peyton Hillis had as great a year for ex. as a RB is gonna have. He was destroyed from it last year following it as the team still sucked. Is that what you want from your # 1 pick ? 1 -2 good years before he breaks down, which he will if used in that fashion on that bad team in that division.

Jfever
Legend
Legend

Postby Jfever » Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:36 am

Ouch.

Is this how your really feel? If TRich went to Clev or TB and you had the 1.1 you'd trade the pick? Really?
Truth is found through Evidence.

Science is the poetry of reality.

* Reality (as defined by Webster's dictionary) - A word for things as they actually exist, as opposed to an idealistic or notional ideal of them.