Personally Know Anyone in the League?

Politics, world events, under-water basket weaving, everything goes in this forum. Please keep it respectful at all times.
Muncus Agruncus
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Personally Know Anyone in the League?

Postby Muncus Agruncus » Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:03 am

My father's former co-worker lived next door to Jeff Torborg's barber.

Raidernation24
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Raidernation24 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:48 pm

i went to school with marquise lee and robert woods at serra highschool in gardena

KCitons
Rookie
Rookie

Postby KCitons » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:27 am

Not in the league any longer, but Aaron Graham of the Cardinals, Raiders and Titans. He's pretty good friends with my brother. I see him a couple of times a year. Only had a few conversations with him about the NFL. Don't really see him as a celebrity or anything (just a bigger guy with a larger bank account than me)
Last edited by KCitons on Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
16 Team IDP $200k Salary/Contract Team PPR

QB - D Brees, R Tannehill
RB - M Forte, D Brown, P Thomas, S Vereen
WR - P Harvin, A Collie, A Jeffreys, M Manningham, E Sanders, E Bennett,
TE - T Gonzalez, G Olsen, J Cameron
PK - R Gould, G Zuerlin
DT - G Atkins,
DE - A Clayborn, L Houston, B Robison, F Rucker
LB - P Willis, D Johnson, C McCarthy, J Brinkley, S Nicholas, Demario Davis, Z. Brown
CB - J Joseph, R Sherman,
S - T Branch, M Wright, W Moore,

dcr1984
Captain
Captain

Postby dcr1984 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:14 am

I played on the same basketball team as Ron Jaworski's son when I was in middle school. Jaworski filled in as coach one day, and when he threw us chest passes to start out a drill, the ball almost knocked me over. He's still got an arm!
Team 1: (20 man rosters)
10 team, negative 0.1 pt per pass, rush, reception. (1 QB / 2 RB / 3 WR / 1 TE / 1 K / 1 DEF)

QB: Jackson, Geno
RB: McCaffrey, Mixon, Ekeler, Foreman, Patterson
WR: Hill, Wilson, Deebo, Allen, Jeudy, Meyers, Zay Jones, OBJ
TE: Hockenson
K: Dicker
Def: SF, Phi, Dallas

2023: 1.07

Team 2: (18 man rosters)
10 team, 0.5 PPR, 6 pt passing TD (1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 2 WR/RB, 1 TE, K, Def)

Qb: Jackson, Cousins, Lance
RB: Taylor, Fournette, Gibson, Patterson, Gaskin, Elijah Mitchell
WR: Jefferson, AJ Brown, DJM, Lamb, Rondale Moore
TE: Kelce
Def: Cin

Team 3:
12 Team PPR SF/1.5 TE Premium (QB-2RB-3WR-2RB/WR/TE flex, 1 superflex)
QB: Jackson, Prescott, Lawrence
RB: Taylor, Swift, Henry, Hall, Patterson, Wilson, Burkhead, Ingram
WR: Adams, Lamb, A-Rob, JuJu, Calloway, Berrios,
TE: Kittle, Gesicki, Gronk, McBride, Hurst, Jonnu
2023: 2nd, 2nd
2024: 3,4

cool_zapp
Role Player
Role Player

Postby cool_zapp » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:23 pm

I met Polamalu once when I was in High school he was watching one of our games against Douglas High where he graduated. His nephew also played for the team and he congratulated us after the game real nice guy. My dad also sold a car to Marcus Allen when we lived in KC.
12 team .5 PPR RB/WR; 1 PPR TE; IDP
Start: QB RB WRWR TE RB/WR/TE RB/WR

QB: Ryan, Prescott
RB: Charles, Forte, Gio, Gurley, Hyde, Perine, Carson, Rodgers, Foreman
WR: AJG, DT, Evans, ARob, Matthews, Parker, P. Cooper, Davis, M. Williams
TE: Eifert, Rudolph, Julius, Cook
IDP

italian_stallion21
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby italian_stallion21 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:48 pm

Played with a guy who is a CB in the CFL, so not sure that counts. Funny thing is, we played soccer together, he was a PG for our basketball team, and he didn't play football until college. He's relegated to special teams now, but it's funny to see him on TV still.

wingnutty
Starter
Starter

Postby wingnutty » Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:43 pm

My wife grew up in a chicago suburb. When she was little, her subdivision still had some open space around it. Anyway, Walter Payton used to go there to train in the off season because it was kinda quite and he didn't get hounded, he'd run up and down a steep hill right behind my wife's house. Well, she and her friend, they were probably 7 or 8, used to run after him and basically pester him. He was good natured and didn't mind. One time for some reason, they were barefoot and following him. I guess there was some broken glass around or something and Walter picked both of them up, one on each shoulder and carried them back to their shoes and told them that they couldn't run around without their shoes, lol.

Pretty funny.

MY FIL has sold cars to Jordan, Pippen and most of the bulls, as well as a lot of other chicago athletes. They have a bunch of authographed crap in their basement collecting dust.

slaughterrt
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby slaughterrt » Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:28 pm

James Farrior - Former LB for the Jets and Steelers went to my high school. His brother Matt graduated two years before I did. He was in the NFL briefly. I met him a few times.

Demario Davis - Current LB for the Jets. I missed the chance to meet him at my niece's sweet 16. My brother-in-law's ex-wife is Davis's chiropractor.

npowellff
Starter
Starter

Postby npowellff » Sat Dec 28, 2013 3:58 pm

I interviewed tony Dungy at high school game his son was playing in.
I also interviewed WR Louis Murphy when he was attending the high school game of his alma mater.

HouseBellwood
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby HouseBellwood » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:06 pm

I'm English but I went to the University of Kentucky on exchange for the 06/07 season. I was doing a Sports Marketing class and in said class was Jacob Tamme, the TE from the Broncos. I was placed in his group for this presentation we had to and we all arranged to meet up and sort this thing out, except I was a typical foreign exchange student and I went out got hammered with my friends. I turn up the next day hungover to the presentation class having forgotten about the presentation completely. Tamme hands me a paper with some stuff on and says "say this in your funny English accent and smile, they'll love it" (that's somewhat paraphrased I don't remember it exactly), at which point I did exactly what he said and we all got As. So Jacob Tamme did my work for me at college.

I will say that he was an absolutely super nice guy and a pleasure to be around. Very religious and very well spoken, intelligent to boot. From time to time I read about him doing good stuff in the community and I'm not surprised at all.

On top of that one night I came into my dorms and there were a few football guys hanging around in the lobby/sofa/TV area (the nice dorm for foreigners :D) and I sat down next to a few of them and got chatting. Me and Broncos LB Wesley Woodyard got on to chatting about the NFL and Rugby and I was giving him a bit of a ribbing about how he's a wuss because they wear a tonne of pads and in rugby we wear nothing. He was like man you're crazy and a bad-bleep, I couldn't do that. I'm looking at this 6 ft something dude made of sheet muscle thinking you'd do just fine in rugby! Again a really cool guy!

Those are all I got, kinda near that they both play for Denver now!

bjorklunde
All Pro
All Pro

Postby bjorklunde » Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:20 pm

There are some great stories on here. I'm diggin' the thread.

I used to work at a car dealer in Hopkins, MN. I got to meet guys like Randy Moss, Robert Smith, & Ahman Green. Ragnar (The Vikes Mascot) used to come in about once every couple of weeks, in the early hours, to get parts without being bothered. Super cool guy.

I had a couple of drinks with Antoine Windfield on St. Patty's day last year, shortly after the Vikes cut him. He came into a bar in Eden Prairie, MN and bought something like 100 shots of Tequila and just had the bartenders/wait staff pass them out to anyone who wanted them. He was a pretty good dude to chat with. I took it as his "farewell to MN" evening.

My wife used to work at Kona in Eden Prairie, MN. She met, served, and chatted with several Vikings players: AP, Shianco, Rice, etc. Apparently them boys love their sushi and are fantastic tippers.

My sister-in-law used to babysit Cedric Griffin's kids. In his house. I tagged along a couple of times hoping to meet him, but it was always the wife.

One of my good friends went to High School with Marion Barber. Says he was kind of an bleep.

HawkeyeState
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby HawkeyeState » Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:05 pm

I am from the same hometown and went to the same high school as the Colts Linebacker Pat Angerer (well free agent now)
He graduated May 05 I graduated May 10.
The day after the 4th of July (2012), I was in our high school weightroom, it was about two years ago so I was doing my own summer training for my upcoming college football season. I walk in and Pat was already lifting. We had met only once before and it was at a benefit type thing where I shook his hand said hey and got his and Norm Parker (former defensive coordinator for Iowa Hawkeyes) autographs.

I talked to him for about 5 minutes about the NFL and just what it was like living out in Indy.
He was a really cool guy and really down to earth.
Best part about meeting him was I walked in and was like, "Hey, your Pat Angerer! What's up man?" and he replied, "Hey man, yeah you know, just gotta work off all the beer I drank yesterday!"
Team 1
10 TM .5 PPR, 6 pt all TDs 1/2/3/1/2Flex
Newton, Rivers
LF, Chubb, Michel, Kerryon, Hyde, AJones, Royce F, Crowell
Adams, Cooper, Alshon, Watkins, ARob, Fuller, Doctson, Funchess, Gallup, Pettis, Valdez-Scant
Gronk, HHenry, Engram
1.09, 2.09, 3.09, 4.09, 5.09

Team 2
10 TM 1/2/3/1/1Flex 6pt all TDs .25 PPR RB, .5 PPR WR, 1 PPR TE
Wilson, Big Ben
Bell, JConner, MMack, Shady, CThompson, D'Onta Foreman, C Edmonds, B Scarborough
Julio, Nuk, Fuller, Cooks, ARob, Watkins, Cooper, SShepard, CDavis, DJ Chark
Kelce, Olsen, Andrews
1.09, 2.09, 3.09, 4.09, 5.09

Team 3
10 team, 0.5 PPR RBs WRs, 1 PPR TEs, Devy Superflex League
Carr, Goff, Falk
Barkley, Dalvin, Mixon, Michel, Ballage, MDavis, Dixon, Akers*
Hopkins, JuJu, Watkins, Fuller, Agholor, Moncrief, EQSB, Valdez-Scant, CRogers
Eifert, Ebron, JJames, JCook
1.02, 2.02, 2.06, 3.04

Played against David Johnson in HS, he was a stud back then too

oogieboogie
Role Player
Role Player

Postby oogieboogie » Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:02 pm

bigcsr67 wrote:I was Tony Romos Right Gaurd in college. I dont know anyone else personally, but have met a ton of guys, and have played against many current and former pros as well.
Wow. That is damn awesome. I would want to tell everyone that. I know Romo gets a bad rep sometimes but he is still a pro bleep QB making 120 million effing dollars.
12 teams - PPR
1QB, 2-4RB, 3-5WR, 1-3TE

QB-Ryan, Tua, Fitz, Winston
RB-Zeke, Gurley, Conner, Henry, McKinnon, Drake
WR-Adams, Cooper, Woods, Parker, Pittman, M.Jones, DJax, MVS, Fitz, Foster
TE-Cook, Alie-Cox, Fells, Doyle, Okwuegbunam
Draft Picks: 2021 1,2,3,4,4

League Champion: 2017, 2018, 2019

Jimi Hendrix
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Jimi Hendrix » Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:43 pm

I worked at a Disney resort from 98 to 06 and was able to meet and or at least be in the same room with several nfl'ers. Used to see Steve Young a lot. Saw him with his son once and told him he was carrying a future Dallas Cowboy QB :dance: also was cleaning up a room after a reception and Steve Young was talking to Warren Moon and was saying how bad he thought Jeff Garcia and the entire 49er team was going to be. So, I turned to him and said "so, what you're saying is I shouldn't be putting any 49ers on my fantasy team".....he just stared at me and then turned back to Moon and kept talking :lol:

Have met and spoke to Kurt Warner, Mel Blount, Hershel Walker, Tony Dorsett, and Calvin Hill.

In the same room with Priest Holmes, Dan Marino, Jim Kelly, Drew Bledsoe, Bernie Kosar, Don Shula, Lynn Swann

I currently work at a Convention Center attached to an Embassy and Marriott in Winston Salem, NC where I feed the Wake Forest football team their home game team meals. So I have been able to meet and interact with guys like Kyle Wilber (Dallas), Joe Looney (SF), Tommy Bohanon (NYJ), Aaron Curry (SEA).
DLF Charter- Carolina Crosstown Traffic
DLF Charter II- Carolina Cozmik Vibes
DLF IDP Invitational--Stone Free
DLF IDP Invitational II--Lazy Lightnin (15 Champions)
DLF United -- Carolina Experience (17 Champs)
Lead Dog--Bad Company
FAAFFL--Purple Haze (99,08 Champions)
RnRFFL--Crosstown Traffic (2000, 02, 04, 10, 17, 18,19 Champions)
Gridiron Elite Dynasty League--Appalachian Mountaineers

heyfeefellskee
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby heyfeefellskee » Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:14 pm

Bro in law played DE for michigan state. Had darquezz denard for family thanksgiving dinner the year I dated my wife. Also met his roommate will gholston once or twice.