Personally Know Anyone in the League?

Politics, world events, under-water basket weaving, everything goes in this forum. Please keep it respectful at all times.
NJKV
Starter
Starter

Re: Personally Know Anyone in the League?

Postby NJKV » Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:41 pm

He isn't in the league yet and still determined if he will be. I went out of my way to go watch my alma mater (high school) get crushed by Braxton Miller. Also,this doesn't really count at all but I find it cool (mainly cause I was oblivious to who they were or could be) I saw A.J. Hawk and Mike Nugent play football vs. my high school to when I was in middle school.

The only player I know personally and we were friends since Elementary school is Zach Domicone. He is a Safety at the Ohio State University and will be a redshirted Sr. next year. I am curious if Urban is going to start him (I doubt it). Though, he has scored some TD's on special teams.

DaBreecher
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby DaBreecher » Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:38 pm

My Great Uncle was the kicker for the Bengals in the 80's Jim Breech

Steelersfan
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Steelersfan » Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:50 pm

DaBreecher wrote:My Great Uncle was the kicker for the Bengals in the 80's Jim Breech
Cool! And welcome to the forum! :thumbup:

TJHollywood
All Pro
All Pro

Postby TJHollywood » Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:50 pm

Jim McMahon served me my first legal beer when I turned 21....I was partying in Platteville, WI, where the Bears held training camp then, and went downtown at midnight after pre-gaming. He was behind the bar at the first tavern I went to and served me. I'm not sure who was more drunk.

Steelersfan
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Steelersfan » Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:55 pm

TJHollywood wrote:Jim McMahon served me my first legal beer when I turned 21....I was partying in Platteville, WI, where the Bears held training camp then, and went downtown at midnight after pre-gaming. He was behind the bar at the first tavern I went to and served me. I'm not sure who was more drunk.
:shock: :lol:

Awesome story man!

seahawks506
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby seahawks506 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:20 pm

My friend's friend is the sister of David DeCastro. He went to the high school right next to ours.
orphan rebuild- 3 superflex, nerfed QB scoring 0.5/1/1.5 wr/rb/te PPR
QB: Hurts, Dobbs, Lance, Huntley, Bagent
RB: Swift, Kamara, Sanders, K. Mitchell, Foreman, CEH, Dowdle, Demercado
WR: Lamb, AJB, DK, Hollywood, Jakobi, Lazard, Boyd, Shaheed, Douglas
TE: Chig, Juwan, Conklin, Taysom, Smythe
Picks: 3 2024 2nds

rebuild 2: 1QB PPR
QB: Richardson, Pickett, Mayfield
RB: Achane, E Mitchell, Demercado
WR: Chase, Addison, QJ, J Palmer, Wan'Dale, Claypool, Douglas, Metchie
TE: Kittle, Mayer, Otton, Ferguson
Picks: 3 2024 1sts, 2 2024 2nds

GridIronFavre
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby GridIronFavre » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:07 pm

Hopefully sometime during the third round here Zebrie will get drafted and then I will personally know someone in the league. We graduated from high school together. Will never forget playing football against him that one weekend
Start: 2 QB, 3 RB, 5 WR, 2 TE (All TDs=6, 1 per 10 rush/rec, 1 per 25 pass, NO PPR) 8 teams
QB: Rodgers, Vick, Cutler, Schaub, Luck
RB: Rice, CJ, McFadden, Richardson, Stewart, Ingram, Spiller, Vereen
WR: Green, Marshall, Roddy, Jennings, Roddy, Bowe, Maclin, Britt, A Brown, Williams (TB), Collie, Smith (STL)
TE: Graham, Finley, F Davis, Cook
Taxi Squad: Tebow, Crabtree, Jeffrey, Hill, Gordon

Biggcmo
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Biggcmo » Sat May 12, 2012 5:17 am

My cousins were in the league. Keith Ellison started for buffalo at lb for a couple seasons. His brother Kevin was drafted by the chargers at SS. I think he was only with them for a year. I haven't talked to em in a while. I kno Keith had some injuries that slowed him down
2010 Gridiron Dynasty Football Classic 3 Champ!!

Twitter: @Bossmancmo

SpaderDude
Captain
Captain

Postby SpaderDude » Fri May 18, 2012 9:07 pm

Not football, but pretty cool. My freshman highschool football coach (Millville, NJ), Jeff Trout, is father of one of the top prospects in all of baseball, Mike Trout. He's an outfielder for the Angels. He was brought up and played last year. My brother played pick-up basketball with him a few weeks ago before spring training. Mike was something like 2 years old running around the practice field when I was in school.
Update:

The Angels cut Abreu to make room and call up Trout again. This time it's for good and he's actually tearing it up for Los Angeles right now. He's hitting .343 and giving their offense a much needed needed spark. He's big news around here as you can imagine.

He was drafted #25 overall in the same draft as Stephen Strasburg, who went #1. Both the Angels and Yankees had him as the 2nd rated prospect in all of baseball at that time. So, the Angels were thrilled when he fell to #25. Great to follow a local kid, one that I have personal ties to his father, live out every boy's childhood dream.
Team1

10 Team Dynasty, Roster-30, (must contain 2K & 2Def.) Starters: 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 1K, 1D

Stafford, Eli, Rivers
Forte, TRich, D. Wilson, Stewart, Mark Ingram, J. Bell, Christine Michael, Mike James, Tolbert
Calvin, AJG, Julio, Antonio Brown, Gordon, Da'Rick, Streater
Tony G, Finley, Housler, L. Green, Gresham

5, 2014 First Rounders

Team2

12 team, 30-man rosters, 1ppr. Starters: 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 1Flex (RB/WR/TE), 1K, 1D

Brees, Big Ben
Forte, TRich, D. Wilson, Ingram, Stewart, C. Michael, Franklin, D. Brown, Helu, B. Rainey, CJ Anderson, Tolbert
Calvin, Nicks, Gordon, Stills, Toon, M. Wilson, Drew Davis, Da'Rick
Gronk, Daniels, G. Graham, Celek

MilwaukeesBest
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby MilwaukeesBest » Thu May 31, 2012 6:25 pm

A friend of mine dated Aaron Rodgers. The Packers went from Super Bowl Champions to a first round playoff exit. Must have been quite the distraction ;)
Team 1: 10 Team, 4 Keeper League, Non-PPR
QB: Deshaun Watson
RB: Ezekiel Elliott, Leonard Fournette, Kareem Hunt
WR: Julio Jones, Dez Bryant
TE: Rob Gronkowski

Csl312
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Csl312 » Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:08 pm

My roomate went to school with Adam Weber, and I have some family that lives down the street from a Bears player - but I don't remember which one atm. Same cousin used to play football with Jeffrey Jordan, I met Juanita Jordan because of it once.

FF_Magz
Captain
Captain

Postby FF_Magz » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:10 am

I know a girl who used to run with Vince Wilfork at Miami. Yes, I said RUN haha. He's a big dude and she's not very fast, so it worked out plus it's a pretty genius way to meet chicks as a GIANT man. Well played Vince.

I've run into Ty Law so much randomly in Conn/RI/MA that I might as well say I knew him. It was F'n weird for two reasons.
1. IT WAS 100% RANDOM I SWEAR! He must have thought I was stalking him, but I never stalked the guy even though he was my all time favorite football player growing up.
2. I'm usually NEVER star struck EVER (I've met Robert De Nero, Marshall Faulk, Dirk Nowitzki and many more and always been fine). A football player puts on his pants one leg at a time like me. However, I will admit shamefully that every time I ran into Ty Law, I looked like a school girl who ran into Justin Bieber. Completely star struck.

Sometimes you just rather not run into your favorite football player of all time.
Team 1 (Victory Points) - 12 Team, PPR - Start 9 1QB, 2-3RB, 2-4WR, 1-2TE, D/ST
QB: Jackson, Goff, Mac Jones,
RB: Montgomery, Gordon, Gallman, Mack, J. Patterson, K. Herbert, S. Perine, Juszczyk,;
WR: Hill, Jefferson, Metcalf, Renfrow, Tyrell Williams, K. Cole, D. Harris, Callaway , T. Patrick, F. Swain;
TE: Jonnu, Engram, Alie-Cox, Juwan Johnson;
2022: 1 (Mid), 1 (Late), 2, 4, 5
Championship: 2020

JM4Steelers
Starter
Starter

Postby JM4Steelers » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:32 am

Managed a pizza shop in kent, ohio and met all of the kent state players that are in the league...Cribbs, Gates, Elam, Harrison, Edelman,Usama Young, Jack Williams.

The owner of the pizza shop became good friends with Cribbs and Usama Young so i talked to them a lot. Both very nice guys but Cribbs didnt really like it when i would razz him about the Steelers.

Cribbs filmed a segment at the pizza shop once, so I actually appeared on the Browns website.

Nothing but good things to say about all of these guys!

henry1jg
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby henry1jg » Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:56 pm

A good buddy of mine went to Mount Union to pllay college football. A group of us that all went to HS Together used to travel down from MI to OH to watch the home games. We would get drunk with the team on Thursday & watch the game on Saturday. We hung out a lot with Pierre Garcon, he actually wanted to be in our FF league when we were all freshman, but we were full. Lol. I've also hung out with Cecil Shorts (at Mount) after Jake finished playing, & started coaching there. Jake swears up & down the Cecil is more talented than Pierre, time will tell I suppose.

I'm also friends with Nate Kmic, leading rusher in NCAA history. Lol. That was what we used to yell at the bars in Alliance. Nate hasn't paid for a meal anywhere in Alliance since his sophmore season, FIVE years ago. Lol. Those peeps love their Mount players.
Barrow Snowmen- 14 team - 0.5 PPR, IDP - Yr 19
Jacksonville Jaguars - 32 team - Real GM - Yr 13
Barrow Snowmen #2 - 14 team - SF, PPR - Yr 2
Jimmy Graham Cracker wrote:Don't let your recency bias affect your judgment.

BubbaBurst
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby BubbaBurst » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:59 am

I figure this is a good place for a great story from a couple of weeks ago. I was in Pittsburgh for a buddy's wedding. At the hotel we were staying at there was another wedding - Norv Turner's son. So there were sightings all over the place - Turner, Dave Wanstadt, Troy Aikman, someone who may or may not have been Jeff Fisher. But the best was the day of the wedding. We were dressed in our tuxes, taking pictures in the swanky bleep hotel. We head back up to the room for a pre-wedding drink and as we turn the corner there's a tall guy in shorts, a t-shirt and a hat waiting outside a room. Somehow my buddy (the groom) immeadiately knew who it was - Jason Garrett. So my buddy stops and introduces himself, and Garrett shakes all of our hands and introduces himself as Jason. The took a quick pic and then Garrett offered the groom some words of advice - "Have fun".

So yea, my buddy got a pre-wedding pep talk from Jason Garrett. It was awesome.