for all those who were throwing Dirt on Spiller this season.

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Steelersfan
GOAT
GOAT

Re: for all those who were throwing Dirt on Spiller this sea

Postby Steelersfan » Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:52 pm

Misfit74 wrote:
Steelersfan wrote:Bills coach Chan Gailey reiterated Tuesday that he would prefer to not let C.J. Spiller amass 25-plus carries a game.
"He’s not a 215-, 220-pound back like Fred (Jackson)," said Gailey. "You can’t expect him to be one, and if all his runs are edge runs, he might can be 25 times. But if he’s going to run it up inside, which we need him to do, he’s going to take some pretty good licks and I’m not sure I want that at this point in his career. Maybe in the future, yeah, but not now." The good news is that Spiller can compensate for modest carry totals with receiving production. He's playing well enough to be a quality RB2/flex in fantasy title week.
Rotoworld
He shouldn't carry it (i.e. rush) 25 times, but he should get 20-25 touches. Big difference. Very few backs can consistently handle 25 carries and Spiller is deadly in the passing game. His workload should be similar to Charles, R.Rice, and McCoy, IMO.
I agree Allen, if only Spiller was as talented as Charles, Rice, and McCoy. I don't know, maybe I'm missing something some of you Spiller supporters see?

tidewaterjc
All Pro
All Pro

Postby tidewaterjc » Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:02 pm

Steelersfan wrote:Spiller had a nice game, the 2nd one this season...as for those people that were "throwing dirt" and to the others that are saying I told you so I still think it's too early to be on either of those sides. I'm cautiously optimistic at this point... :wink:
Agree, while he has looked good for a few games there are plenty of others where he disappeared. Spiller is one of those that the seller won't get the value he wants and the buyer will be shocked at the price.
Twitter: @tidewaterjc
Email: tidewaterjc@gmail.com

Need a FF Team Helmet?

Custom FF Helmets/Banners available
http://s1324.photobucket.com/user/tidewaterjc/profile/

Misfit74
Legend
Legend

Postby Misfit74 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:09 pm

Well, it took significant time before Charles emerged after being drafted. McCoy didn't impress me all that much his rookie season. Ray Rice's rookie season was nothing to write home about. I think backs of this type - the versatile types like the three I mentioned take time to acclimate their bodies and train in order to gain that extra toughness and strength/conditioning; learn the nuances of NFL passing-games; and most certainly prove they can protect their QBs in pass-protection. Few backs come in right away able to play a lot because they have to be able to protect their QBs (in this pass-oriented modern-day NFL) and the thinner, speed-back, pass-catching types can take a bit longer learn all the plays; be able to execute all the plays of such a role; and to be physically ready for that role on a regular basis.

Obviously, all players take time to get acclimated to the NFL and players that garner huge workloads or every-down back roles have to be prepared and that can take some time. Spiller is blossoming more and more and I love his dynamic ability. He is every bit the home-run hitter I expected him to be and is learning his craft and gaining valuable experience due to Fred Jackson going down.

Spiller, as I continue to state over and over again, is an elite talent. Now, he's gaining the skill to go with it. :)
#GoHawks / @am_misfit / Fractal Audio / Matrix Amplification / Axe FX II XL+ / ESP, Schecter Guitars

hamburglar
All Pro
All Pro

Postby hamburglar » Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:25 pm

he through dirt on me in one league... the one that i care about the most too... ugh... i got crushed by a combo of CJ Spiller, Brent Celek and the Seahawks defense... if you had told me in september that my team with Mike Vick, CJ2K, Megatron and Antonio Gates would face an opponent in the first round of the playoffs who's highest scorers were Spiller, Celek and The Seahawks D? I'd have fallen over laughing and already punched my ticket to the championship game.

i think i hate spiller now even more than before... this time? it was personal.

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:13 pm

Steelersfan wrote:
Misfit74 wrote:
Steelersfan wrote:Bills coach Chan Gailey reiterated Tuesday that he would prefer to not let C.J. Spiller amass 25-plus carries a game.
"He’s not a 215-, 220-pound back like Fred (Jackson)," said Gailey. "You can’t expect him to be one, and if all his runs are edge runs, he might can be 25 times. But if he’s going to run it up inside, which we need him to do, he’s going to take some pretty good licks and I’m not sure I want that at this point in his career. Maybe in the future, yeah, but not now." The good news is that Spiller can compensate for modest carry totals with receiving production. He's playing well enough to be a quality RB2/flex in fantasy title week.
Rotoworld
He shouldn't carry it (i.e. rush) 25 times, but he should get 20-25 touches. Big difference. Very few backs can consistently handle 25 carries and Spiller is deadly in the passing game. His workload should be similar to Charles, R.Rice, and McCoy, IMO.
I agree Allen, if only Spiller was as talented as Charles, Rice, and McCoy. I don't know, maybe I'm missing something some of you Spiller supporters see?
Think Jahvid Best with more talent and lower injury risk.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

Guppy CEO
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Guppy CEO » Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:38 pm

i am very disappointed that choice goes in for spiller every time they get inside the 10. getting few red zone looks greatly limits spiller's upside.
2008 Champion, 2009 runner up, 2011 champ
fear the guppy!!!!!

RobertBobson
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby RobertBobson » Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:09 pm

But his 111 rushing 27 receiving and a td performance makes me feel good about his upside. I never really thought he was a goal line back, but i imagine he'll be used in passing downs in the red zone quite a bit.
12 team 1 ppr 6 pt all tds
1 qb 2 rb 2 wr 1 rb/wr 1 te 1k
qb Ryan, Vick, nassib, Barkley
RB DMC, Gore, Sporles, Stacy, Hillman, Moreno,
WR aj green,welker, Britt, Blackmon, DeMary
TE Davis, Cook, Housler, Allen

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:20 pm

Guppy CEO wrote:i am very disappointed that choice goes in for spiller every time they get inside the 10. getting few red zone looks greatly limits spiller's upside.
The cream will rise to the top. Choice was ineffective in Dallas and has shown nothing in Buffalo either. Now that Spiller is getting the opportunities, he is capitalizing as should be expected. The coaching staff will ultimately come around completely and give him every down opportunities goal line to goal line.

seahawks506
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby seahawks506 » Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:46 pm

This is gonna make for an intersting backfield next year. The bills are now sure that they have two very productive RB's. Perhaps Jackson's last year in Buffalo will be 2012, and after that they'll let him walk.
orphan rebuild- 3 superflex, nerfed QB scoring 0.5/1/1.5 wr/rb/te PPR
QB: Hurts, Dobbs, Lance, Huntley, Bagent
RB: Swift, Kamara, Sanders, K. Mitchell, Foreman, CEH, Dowdle, Demercado
WR: Lamb, AJB, DK, Hollywood, Jakobi, Lazard, Boyd, Shaheed, Douglas
TE: Chig, Juwan, Conklin, Taysom, Smythe
Picks: 3 2024 2nds

rebuild 2: 1QB PPR
QB: Richardson, Pickett, Mayfield
RB: Achane, E Mitchell, Demercado
WR: Chase, Addison, QJ, J Palmer, Wan'Dale, Claypool, Douglas, Metchie
TE: Kittle, Mayer, Otton, Ferguson
Picks: 3 2024 1sts, 2 2024 2nds

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Sat Dec 24, 2011 3:11 pm

seahawks506 wrote:This is gonna make for an intersting backfield next year. The bills are now sure that they have two very productive RB's. Perhaps Jackson's last year in Buffalo will be 2012, and after that they'll let him walk.
With Jackson coming off a broken leg at the age of 31, I doubt he will be the effective runner we saw early this season. Spiller should be expected to be the primary ball carrier. The question will be there as to who will get the goal line duties but otherwise the torch has likely passed.

voiceofunreason
MVP
MVP

Postby voiceofunreason » Sat Dec 24, 2011 6:11 pm

skip wrote:
seahawks506 wrote:This is gonna make for an intersting backfield next year. The bills are now sure that they have two very productive RB's. Perhaps Jackson's last year in Buffalo will be 2012, and after that they'll let him walk.
With Jackson coming off a broken leg at the age of 31, I doubt he will be the effective runner we saw early this season. Spiller should be expected to be the primary ball carrier. The question will be there as to who will get the goal line duties but otherwise the torch has likely passed.
I'm not sold on Spiller but always thought the hate was stupid. He played a couple of games at the start of last year when the offense was a distaster. Then Jackson played great and Spiller couldn't get on the field. I never understood how people could write him off after that.

I'm a little more concerned about Fred Jackson splitting carries next year but time will tell.

Chris_R
MVP
MVP

Postby Chris_R » Sun Dec 25, 2011 2:53 pm

Not gonna lie, I was a huge fan of Spiller coming out but after watching him in Buffalo he didn't impress me at all and I got off the boat and completely forgot about him. Stayed away in start ups or trades. Now I want to go after him because while you can't get him for free it won't cost you any viable fantasy starter next year I don't think and he's a pretty good gamble for a breakout season next year. He was a stud at Clemson, I just hope Buffalo drafts a QB because Fitz drags the offense down at the end of the year consistently.
12 Team ppr Dynasty IDP Superflex
1 QB, 1 QB/RB, 1 RB, 1 WR, RB/WR, WR/TE, 1 TE, 2 DL, 2 LB, 2 DB, 2 DL/LB/DB

QB: Dak Prescott/Kyler Murray
RB: Jonathan Taylor/James Robinson/D'Onta Foreman/Chris Hubbard/Keontay Ingram
WR: Jamar Chase/Diontae Johnson/Amron St Brown/Courtland Sutton/Rondale Moore/Donovan Peoples-Jones/Christian Watson
TE: Dalton Schultz/Gerald Everett/Greg Dulcich/Jeremy Ruckert

DL: Joey Bosa/Khalil Mack
LB: Leighton Vander Esch/Tremaine Edmunds/Blake Martinez/Telvin Smith/Sean Lee
DB: Earl Thomas/Keanu Neal/Minkah Fitzpatrick/John Johnson

Picks: 2023(three)

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Sun Dec 25, 2011 3:57 pm

Chris_R wrote: Now I want to go after him because while you can't get him for free it won't cost you any viable fantasy starter next year I don't think and he's a pretty good gamble for a breakout season next year.
The time to get him on the cheap was prior to Fred Jackson's injury and even then most of the Spiller owners were believers and he didn't come at a low price. After he has shown what he can do, you are going to have to pay the price of a top 10-15 RB to get him.

Chris_R
MVP
MVP

Postby Chris_R » Sun Dec 25, 2011 4:57 pm

skip wrote:
Chris_R wrote: Now I want to go after him because while you can't get him for free it won't cost you any viable fantasy starter next year I don't think and he's a pretty good gamble for a breakout season next year.
The time to get him on the cheap was prior to Fred Jackson's injury and even then most of the Spiller owners were believers and he didn't come at a low price. After he has shown what he can do, you are going to have to pay the price of a top 10-15 RB to get him.

I don't think he's played long enough that not everyone won't think it wasn't a fluke, or wonder how the carries will be spread with Fred Jackson returning. I'm not saying that he isn't ready to take off, just that I don't think it's been long enough to make everyone think of him as a sure thing next year.
12 Team ppr Dynasty IDP Superflex
1 QB, 1 QB/RB, 1 RB, 1 WR, RB/WR, WR/TE, 1 TE, 2 DL, 2 LB, 2 DB, 2 DL/LB/DB

QB: Dak Prescott/Kyler Murray
RB: Jonathan Taylor/James Robinson/D'Onta Foreman/Chris Hubbard/Keontay Ingram
WR: Jamar Chase/Diontae Johnson/Amron St Brown/Courtland Sutton/Rondale Moore/Donovan Peoples-Jones/Christian Watson
TE: Dalton Schultz/Gerald Everett/Greg Dulcich/Jeremy Ruckert

DL: Joey Bosa/Khalil Mack
LB: Leighton Vander Esch/Tremaine Edmunds/Blake Martinez/Telvin Smith/Sean Lee
DB: Earl Thomas/Keanu Neal/Minkah Fitzpatrick/John Johnson

Picks: 2023(three)

standard_variance
Starter
Starter

Postby standard_variance » Mon Dec 26, 2011 7:20 am

I will admit I have been on the opposite of the coin with this. Comparing him tot Best, and Charles are accurate....but look where both of those RB's are right now...Spiller is not as big as McCoy or Rice. Meaning he most likely is not capable of handling as much of a workload as they are - i.e. Best and Charles. Though I was on the other side of the coin, I always thought CJ Spiller was talented, and would be productive but he is not someone I'd rely on as anything more than a low end RB2-3. He put up solid numbers but like stated before in other games he has completely disappeared. Im not confident that they will ever build the offensive mentality around him....Im more sure that they will always look for another RB to compliment his skill set. Thats where my skepticism comes in, not in his abilities.
"We must be keenly alive to the defects of our own faith also, yet not leave it on that account, but try to overcome those defects." -Ghandi

There is a difference between argument, and dogmatic assertion. Argument leaves room for change, and improvement, dogma only leaves room for acceptance.

In honor of Gino - "Strong Fantasy Quarterbacks are the cornerstone to any successful Dynasty team"