The Curious Case of Keon Coleman

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
dmoyer121099
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

The Curious Case of Keon Coleman

Postby dmoyer121099 » Thu May 09, 2024 12:31 pm

We’ve all heard the red flags. He can’t separate, ran a disappointing 40, jump ball merchant, etc. Although landing spot isn’t the end all be all (which it shouldn’t), I’ve seen nothing but positive things circulating around him from the Bills front offense and their qb. Could he be the exception due to sheer volume and chemistry with the team and fan base (which he’s seemingly winning over)?

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Re: The Curious Case of Keon Coleman

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Thu May 09, 2024 12:35 pm

Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:19 pm Hmm, been finally digging into this draft class and Keon Coleman compares very favorably to Allen Robinson and Michael Thomas. Will be a steal where he's going. Also means this might be one of, if not the best WR class we've ever seen.
Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:44 pm I have not watched any film on him yet, but just in terms of draft capital, size, athleticism, speed, and collegiate production (dominator, not raw production), he’s very similar and hits all key metrics when it comes to a player of his height. I think people forget ARob also ran a 4.6 at the combine, albeit at a higher weight. The 40 for Coleman is not ideal, but it does pass the threshold, and what pushes it to the back burner is his exceptional leaping ability.
Having said all that, I didn’t draft him anywhere as I liked other players better at his adp. I’ve heard his film is not the greatest, but sometimes the film lies.

dmoyer121099
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby dmoyer121099 » Thu May 09, 2024 12:44 pm

Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 12:35 pm
Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:19 pm Hmm, been finally digging into this draft class and Keon Coleman compares very favorably to Allen Robinson and Michael Thomas. Will be a steal where he's going. Also means this might be one of, if not the best WR class we've ever seen.
Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:44 pm I have not watched any film on him yet, but just in terms of draft capital, size, athleticism, speed, and collegiate production (dominator, not raw production), he’s very similar and hits all key metrics when it comes to a player of his height. I think people forget ARob also ran a 4.6 at the combine, albeit at a higher weight. The 40 for Coleman is not ideal, but it does pass the threshold, and what pushes it to the back burner is his exceptional leaping ability.
Having said all that, I didn’t draft him anywhere as I liked other players better at his adp. I’ve heard his film is not the greatest, but sometimes the film lies.
Those are some solid comps I didn’t think of. I think in totality the metrics analysts use are very useful in splitting hairs between players at similar adp. However, I think that sometimes it’s okay to simplify things and realize that if a team really likes their guy then it’s okay to buy in and trust their judgment. Also helps being tied to a qb like Allen who can certainly get the ball in your hands.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Thu May 09, 2024 12:55 pm

dmoyer121099 wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 12:31 pm I’ve seen nothing but positive things circulating around him from the Bills front offense and their qb. Could he be the exception due to sheer volume and chemistry with the team and fan base (which he’s seemingly winning over)?
The draft was a few weeks ago. What team and front office isn't still very optimistic about their picks? :lol:

Tee Higgins is a possibility. They both mirror each other size wise. Higgins had similar concerns with a limited route tree, high contested catch rate, separation questions, and a slower than expected 40, and just missed out on the first round like Coleman did.

For me personally, Coleman just isn't the type of base I like to start with in a WR. And, when you look at his route tree in college, he struggled really, really bad. He has a lot of area to grow and is going to be a development type of WR.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Thu May 09, 2024 12:57 pm

dmoyer121099 wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 12:44 pm
Those are some solid comps I didn’t think of. I think in totality the metrics analysts use are very useful in splitting hairs between players at similar adp. However, I think that sometimes it’s okay to simplify things and realize that if a team really likes their guy then it’s okay to buy in and trust their judgment. Also helps being tied to a qb like Allen who can certainly get the ball in your hands.
Just know that Coleman plays nothing like Thomas or Robinson. Those players had the ability to get open at their size and didn't enter the league as essentially project WRs. Thomas had a sophisticated game from Day 1 in the NFL. Robinson did too, but was killed by bad QB play for so long.

Coleman needs a lot of help with his game. I think Matt Harmon called it right that putting him in the slot and giving him some high percentage stuff will be better than playing him at the X.

StripesOfKC
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby StripesOfKC » Thu May 09, 2024 1:31 pm

I was a lot more in on Coleman until his final year's production

Running basically even with Johnny Wilson was not the expectation

But that landing spot means the boom would probably be a pretty big boom and in a class with so many questionable WRs and RBs I can't really be below market on him

TheTroll
Legend
Legend

Postby TheTroll » Thu May 09, 2024 3:28 pm

Those are some nice comps! How does he handle SUVs at high speeds? Should be part of the combine now.
Team 1
Dynasty 10 team, 22 roster + 6 Taxi, PPR
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 Flex, 1 TE, K, Def

QB: Love, Goff, Fields
RB: Bijan, Montgomery, Kamara, Ford, K Herbert, Zeke, Mattison
WR: Jefferson, Olave, London, Ridley, Sutton, Shaheed
TE: Kincaid, Kittle, Freiermuth
K: Tucker, Sanders
DEF: CLE

Taxi: Charbs, K Mitchell, Demercado, QJ, D Douglas, W Robinson, Hooker

Picks
2024: 1.03, 3.06, 3.09, 4.09
2025: 2, 3, 3, 3, 4, 5
2026: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Team 2
Dynasty 10 team, 22 man roster + 6 Taxi, PPR, SF and TEP
1QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 Flex, 1 S Flex

QB: Allen, Goff, Watson, Jones
RB: K Williams, B Robinson, Chubb, Ford, Mostert, A Gibson, Dillon, Pierce, Zeke
WR: Olave, T Hill, Addison, D Adams, C Watson, D Johnson, G Davis, OBJ
TE: Kincaid, Kmet, Goedert

Taxi: Mitchell, DTR, Mims, K Miller, Douglas, Vaughn

Picks
2024: 1.08, 3.02, 3.09
2025: 1, 3, 4, 5
2026: 1, 1, 2, 2, 3, 4, 5

thunderTung
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby thunderTung » Thu May 09, 2024 4:52 pm

I’m out on him for the same reason I was out on London. Now obviously London hasn’t been a complete failure (I’ll still say I think he was over drafted for what he was, in the NFL draft and fantasy)

But the reason being is that his tape reminds me too much of Nkeal Harry, he has caused me a lot of pain and I’ll stay away from any prospects that profile similarly, even if it means I miss out every once in awhile
12 man IDP 0.5 ppr

QB(1): Geno Smith
RB(2): ETN/Walker III
WR(2): Chase/Lamb
TE(1): Goedert
FLEX(2): Stevenson/Garrett Wilson
K: Mcpherson
DL(2): T. Walker/Vea
LB(2): D. Long/TJ Edwards
DB(2) Dugger/Moehrig
FLEX: Kenneth Murray
IR: J. Hicks/Milano/Marcus Jones
Bench:
QB: Mac Jones/Bryce Young
RB: Zeke/D. Harris
WR: N. Brown/Demario Douglas/Bobby Trees/Parker/Tyler Scott
TE: Bellinger/Schultz
DL: Barrett/J. Davis/Yannick/
LB: Milano/Edwards/K. Murray/J. Smith
DB: Mathieu/Jonothan Owens

BHSU
Rookie
Rookie

Postby BHSU » Thu May 09, 2024 4:53 pm

TheTroll wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 3:28 pm
Those are some nice comps! How does he handle SUVs at high speeds? Should be part of the combine now.
Tractor pulls too

QB: Jordan Love/Dak Prescott/Aidan O'Connell

RB: Jonathan Taylor/Isaih Pacheco/Zamir White/Jonathan Brooks/Kendre Miller/Tyrone Tracy/Bucky Irving/Pierre Strong/Dylan Laube

WR: CeeDee Lamb/Brandon Aiyuk/Drake London/Brian Thomas JR/Ladd McConkey/Javon Baker/Dontayvion Wicks/Darius Slayton/Malik Washington/Greg Dortch/Cedric Tillman

TE: Trey McBride/Cole Kmet/Hunter Henry/Michael Mayer/Jelani Woods/Erick All

Bronco Billy
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Thu May 09, 2024 5:05 pm

I do not foresee a way Coleman can make a career playing on the outside in the NFL. He succeeded in college by being bigger than opposing CBs and muscling them. There was no sophistication in anything he did as a WR. Those guys do not thrive in the NFL. Harry was typical for that type of WR. Burks is another one. NFL CBs just flat out overwhelm these guys with technique and breaking up plays as the ball arrives as they sit right on their hip. If your primary game is just bullying them, they’ll shut you down.

The only possible hope I see for Coleman is running out of the slot, and I don’t think BUF’s vision for him is there, not with the players they’ve got lined up to play there. And even if he does find a coach that thinks that far out of the box, he’s still got a ways to go.

Not all of this WR class are going to be good or better pros. Some of them will fail. Coleman looks earmarked to be one of those guys IMO.

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Thu May 09, 2024 8:27 pm

My new favorite player.

He is way better than some of you think. J. Allen is going to love his want to succeed mindset.

He went 1.8 in my last draft and will be the Bills WR1.

There are several better talents but he has an easiness about him.

Excellent ball tracking skills with soft hands.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Thu May 09, 2024 11:44 pm

Has been a strange offseason for him. Feels like he was way overpriced for a moment when we thought he'd go late 1st and expected him to run a little faster. But now here we are with rd 2 capital and separation concerns and hes going early 2nd in SF.

The 40 was a touch slower than we thought, but the athleticism isn't really a question. He also landed with Josh Allen and has the WR1 job for the taking. I have him comped to London/Higgins. He seems underpriced now. I thought many more would keep him in that Brian Thomas tier at 4/5. He's a target of mine late in the 1st. I can't move him lower than rookie WR8, have had him as high as 5.

CGW
Legend
Legend

Postby CGW » Fri May 10, 2024 4:31 am

I had the choice between BTJ and him at 2.03 in a 12TM SF. I took BTJ because that was my predraft ranking, but at 2.03 I think he's price attractively. My main concern was that he just didn't reliably get open at the college level. Made some incredible contested catches when I saw him play though.

I'll have one more draft with an early 2nd that doesnt run until June/July, so maybe I'll have another look at Coleman then.

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Fri May 10, 2024 5:01 am

CGW wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 4:31 am I had the choice between BTJ and him at 2.03 in a 12TM SF. I took BTJ because that was my predraft ranking, but at 2.03 I think he's price attractively. My main concern was that he just didn't reliably get open at the college level. Made some incredible contested catches when I saw him play though.

I'll have one more draft with an early 2nd that doesnt run until June/July, so maybe I'll have another look at Coleman then.
Steal on Thomas there. He shouldn't fall out of the 1st very often

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Fri May 10, 2024 5:24 am

Jigga94 wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 11:44 pm Has been a strange offseason for him. Feels like he was way overpriced for a moment when we thought he'd go late 1st and expected him to run a little faster. But now here we are with rd 2 capital and separation concerns and hes going early 2nd in SF.

The 40 was a touch slower than we thought, but the athleticism isn't really a question. He also landed with Josh Allen and has the WR1 job for the taking. I have him comped to London/Higgins. He seems underpriced now. I thought many more would keep him in that Brian Thomas tier at 4/5. He's a target of mine late in the 1st. I can't move him lower than rookie WR8, have had him as high as 5.
If Keon ends up in the London/Higgins production range, I'd be excited to get him with a 2nd. I still haven't decided where I slot him. Fortunately I still have some time to figure it out. These sorts of threads help me learn a little more about players in this range and lower, and point me toward whom I want to investigate further.
TEAM 1:
12 Team ppr w/20 keepers - start 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1FLX 6IDP 1DEF
QB: Tua, Lamar, CWilliams
RB: Etienne, Pacheco, JFord, Corum, JWright
WR: Lamb, JChase, Waddle, Pickens, Q Johnston, DeDouglas, MCorley
TE: Goedert, Okongwo
DEF: Cowboys, Ravens
IDP:(LB) Bolton, DLloyd; (DE/DL) Sieler; (S/CB) Pitre, Bates
2023 & 2022 Champion: 2020 third place: 2019 Champion

TEAM 2:
14 Team 30roster SF/ppr/TEP - QB/RB/WR/TE/5FLX/SF
QB: Tua, CJStroud, Carr, AOC, MWhite, Lock