Ben Sinnott Is Underpriced

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
StripesOfKC
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Ben Sinnott Is Underpriced

Postby StripesOfKC » Sat May 04, 2024 3:44 am

This is a class where the RB depth is pretty bad to the point that only one RB looks primed to start early in his rookie season, pretty much every WR past like 4-5 have major red flags (a few will work out in spite of that of course but still)

I not the QB depth is truly great

Considering those circumstances I think Ben Sinnott is comfortably worth a mid to late 2nd round pick if you need a TE

He was a late bloomer but this is little issue for TEs unlike for WRs (most of the best TEs in fantasy were bad production profiles if they were WRs)

His final season however was really quite good and efficient (21.5% market share of receiving yards—first on his team—and 82 PFF grade with a lot YAC—the factor that can unlock TEs to be truly great—plus 2.02 YPRR)

He tested well athletically (9.49 relative athletic score) and got round 2 capital (two rounds ahead of JaTavion Sanders who seems to be going around him) on a team with fairly mediocre WR play (Terry is good but if he was great I feel like we’d know by now and Dotson mediocre at best but more likely just bad) but a big QB upgrade in line and Kliff Kingsbury who in spite of flaming out pretty hard I still believe is a solid offensive mind if that is all he is asked to do (and college and NFL teams seem to believe this as well)

Pretty much every TE box ticked (being a tad faster straight line would be nice and put him right in the Laporta mold but he is also a bit bigger so hardly slow)

I am comfortable taking him ahead of someone like Xavier Legette even personally but at the very least I think he comes in ahead of some truly bad day 2 profiles like Polk and Roman Wilson—and the good thing is you don’t even need to take him that high. Could probably get him in line with where you’d get your rookie RB dart throws

Obviously TE is team and league dependent though

Shcritters
MVP
MVP

Re: Ben Sinnott Is Underpriced

Postby Shcritters » Sat May 04, 2024 4:12 am

Shhh…. I wanted you to wait a week to post this!

Agree on all points.
Gopher Two
PPR SF, WR & TE Premium (WR 1.2 PPR , TE 1.5 PPR), 10 total starters, 1 QB, 1SF, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 3 Flex
QB: Mahomes, Prescott, Mayfield
RB: Hall, Pacheco, Jacobs, Connor, Chubb, Mattison
WR: Tyreek, AJ Brown, Flowers, CSutton, JJeudy, Slayton, Iosivas
TE: McBride, DSchultz, Musgrave, Kraft, MGesicki
2024: 1.02, 2.02
2022 and 2023 League Champ

SafeLeague #1 (12 team, SF, 2.0 PPR TE Prem). 10 total starters 1 QB, 1SF (QB/TE/RB/WR), 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 3 Flex
QB: Caleb, Purdy, Levis, Penix
RB: Pacheco, Estime, Vaughn
WR: Nabers, Coleman, Downs, EMoore, Jeudy, Burton, MMims, MWilson
TE: Hock, Kincaid, Pitts, Sinnott, Mayer
2025: 3 1sts, 2 2nds, 2 3rds, 2 4ths

SafeLeague #2
QB: Caleb, Richardson, Purdy, JJMcCarthy
RB: literal ZERO RB (for now)
WR: Nabers, Worthy, McConkey, Brian Thomas Jr, Pearsall, Mims, Burton, Mingo, Toney, Skyy, Iosivas
TE: LaPorta, Kincaid, McBride, Bowers, Mayer, Musgrave, Schoonmaker
2025: 3 1sts, 2 2nds

Bronco Billy
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Sat May 04, 2024 5:39 am

Sinnot just went at 3.08 in our 14 team 1 QB IDP TEP draft, and that feels about right.

The comparisons to LaPorta are way off base IMO. He’s not near the route runner nor does he do well when challenged at the point of completion. He doesn’t come close to ticking every TE box. He ticks maybe half of them IMO.

TEs in the NFL are very unique player profiles. To get on the field all the time they have to have the mentality and physicality of offensive linemen while at the same time to be viable in FF they need to be agile, sharp in their routes, very athletic, sure handed while maintaining that physicality.

Sinnot fits the size and athletic requirements and has solid hands, but does not run solid routes or separate well and he’s lacking significantly on the physicality aspect, as a route runner and most especially in the blocking aspect. He’s also not the dominant go-up-and-get-it type of TE. He’s nowhere close to being the player LaPorta is. He’s going to have to rely on being a F TE, because he’s a liability in the run game. That means he’s going to be off the field a significant amount of time, but it will also affect his receiving because he plays so soft for the position. Combine that with his poor route running and I’m seeing a guy who is going to need to develop his receiving game significantly to be meaningful in FF, and he likely is never going to be a good in-line TE because he simply does not enjoy the physicality demanded of the position, and that’s something that requires substantial mental toughness combined with a love of the combat on the line to go with the size, mass and strength.

He’s a finesse move TE that is going to require an offense to develop a specific role for him that takes a WR off the field in favor of a 1:1 replacement of him instead of getting the advantage that typical 12 formations offer, which is the dual threat of a heavy run attack with the passing mismatch. WAS does not look like that kind of team. Their new coaching staff has a history of desiring a strong running game and playing some smash mouth football. That’s not his game.

I hope he turns into a really good TE, but I’m seeing a player who is not pro ready yet, especially in this offense, and likely will never be a full time player.

TheTroll
Legend
Legend

Postby TheTroll » Sat May 04, 2024 9:07 am

Getting him in 3rd is about right. No harm no foul land
Team 1
Dynasty 10 team, 22 roster + 6 Taxi, PPR
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 Flex, 1 TE, K, Def

QB: Love, Goff, Fields
RB: Bijan, Montgomery, Kamara, Ford, K Herbert, Zeke, Mattison
WR: Jefferson, Olave, London, Ridley, Sutton, Shaheed
TE: Kincaid, Kittle, Freiermuth
K: Tucker, Sanders
DEF: CLE

Taxi: Charbs, K Mitchell, Demercado, QJ, D Douglas, W Robinson, Hooker

Picks
2024: 1.03, 3.06, 3.09, 4.09
2025: 2, 3, 3, 3, 4, 5
2026: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Team 2
Dynasty 10 team, 22 man roster + 6 Taxi, PPR, SF and TEP
1QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 Flex, 1 S Flex

QB: Allen, Goff, Watson, Jones
RB: K Williams, B Robinson, Chubb, Ford, Mostert, A Gibson, Dillon, Pierce, Zeke
WR: Olave, T Hill, Addison, D Adams, C Watson, D Johnson, G Davis, OBJ
TE: Kincaid, Kmet, Goedert

Taxi: Mitchell, DTR, Mims, K Miller, Douglas, Vaughn

Picks
2024: 1.08, 3.02, 3.09
2025: 1, 3, 4, 5
2026: 1, 1, 2, 2, 3, 4, 5

cazzie33
All Pro
All Pro

Postby cazzie33 » Sat May 04, 2024 2:03 pm

He's not "ALL" that😏

Bronco Billy
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Sat May 04, 2024 2:18 pm

cazzie33 wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 2:03 pm He's not "ALL" that😏
:lol:

I see what you did there.

Straycatz2
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Straycatz2 » Sat May 04, 2024 2:23 pm

Bronco Billy wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 5:39 am The comparisons to LaPorta are way off base IMO. He’s not near the route runner nor does he do well when challenged at the point of completion. He doesn’t come close to ticking every TE box. He ticks maybe half of them IMO.
See any possible sleepers at the TE position?

Jrblaha
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Jrblaha » Sat May 04, 2024 3:03 pm

He went as rookie 2.07 in my SF TePrem league today.

TheTroll
Legend
Legend

Postby TheTroll » Sat May 04, 2024 3:17 pm

Jrblaha wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 3:03 pm He went as rookie 2.07 in my SF TePrem league today.
That seems pretty spot on
Team 1
Dynasty 10 team, 22 roster + 6 Taxi, PPR
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 Flex, 1 TE, K, Def

QB: Love, Goff, Fields
RB: Bijan, Montgomery, Kamara, Ford, K Herbert, Zeke, Mattison
WR: Jefferson, Olave, London, Ridley, Sutton, Shaheed
TE: Kincaid, Kittle, Freiermuth
K: Tucker, Sanders
DEF: CLE

Taxi: Charbs, K Mitchell, Demercado, QJ, D Douglas, W Robinson, Hooker

Picks
2024: 1.03, 3.06, 3.09, 4.09
2025: 2, 3, 3, 3, 4, 5
2026: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Team 2
Dynasty 10 team, 22 man roster + 6 Taxi, PPR, SF and TEP
1QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 Flex, 1 S Flex

QB: Allen, Goff, Watson, Jones
RB: K Williams, B Robinson, Chubb, Ford, Mostert, A Gibson, Dillon, Pierce, Zeke
WR: Olave, T Hill, Addison, D Adams, C Watson, D Johnson, G Davis, OBJ
TE: Kincaid, Kmet, Goedert

Taxi: Mitchell, DTR, Mims, K Miller, Douglas, Vaughn

Picks
2024: 1.08, 3.02, 3.09
2025: 1, 3, 4, 5
2026: 1, 1, 2, 2, 3, 4, 5

Bronco Billy
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Sat May 04, 2024 3:47 pm

Straycatz2 wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 2:23 pm
Bronco Billy wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 5:39 am The comparisons to LaPorta are way off base IMO. He’s not near the route runner nor does he do well when challenged at the point of completion. He doesn’t come close to ticking every TE box. He ticks maybe half of them IMO.
I rely a lot on watching film of the TEs, and that includes watching clips of their RBs running the ball and how they block.

My criteria, simply put, falls into meeting 3 criteria:

1) They love to block. Not just go through the motions and seal a seam or chip on a DL, but seal, engage and drive DLs or chip, break off and search and destroy at the 2nd and 3rd level. I’m looking for guys who understand that they are extensions of the O line and relish the combat, not acting like a WR who mirrors and stalk blocks. This keeps them on the field in all situations.
2) That they move and catch like WRs. They move smoothly, break off routes sharply, separate or seal off coverage as the ball arrives, get their hands in the correct positions and catch comfortably outside their envelope both horizontally and vertically.
3) That their RAS is into the 9s - at least 9.20 and preferably over 9.50. If they aren’t comparatively great athletes the odds are solidly against their being a high level FF TE.

There isn’t a TE in this draft that meets all 3 criteria. Of the guys in this draft that I see having a shot at developing to obtaining all 3, I think Theo Johnson and Jared Wiley have the best chance but they’re both going to have to learn to be meat eaters as blockers, and that’s no small task. They don’t have too far to go, but go there they must.

ETA: and I was just able to pick up Wiley with 6.06 in a 14 team 1 QB IDP TEP draft. Not much risk there in adding him.Johnson went at 4.02.

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Sun May 05, 2024 6:28 am

Not sure what qualifies as sleeper these days at TE but I am targeting Ja'Tavion Sanders in my leagues. Played basketball and football in high school and was a 5 star recruit. (WR and DE)

Texas eventually converted him to TE. While a bit raw, the coaches loved his work ethic and coach-ability. He has the skill set to be a stud some day so worth a dart throw IMO.

Outstanding body control and hands. He has a flair for the dramatic. Uses hands to catch the ball like we see with better WR's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBSYGcMlt_M
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

Bronco Billy
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Sun May 05, 2024 7:03 am

Ice wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 6:28 am
Not sure what qualifies as sleeper these days at TE but I am targeting Ja'Tavion Sanders in my leagues. Played basketball and football in high school and was a 5 star recruit. (WR and DE)

Texas eventually converted him to TE. While a bit raw, the coaches loved his work ethic and coach-ability. He has the skill set to be a stud some day so worth a dart throw IMO.

Outstanding body control and hands. He has a flair for the dramatic. Uses hands to catch the ball like we see with better WR's.

I don’t know if Sanders is a sleeper either. He and Sinnot are typically TE2/TE3 off the board this year.

I’m not confident about Sanders’ translation to the pro game. He looks like a basketball player on the field. He’s smooth as silk moving downfield. His hands are always in the right position catch and he locks onto the football. He knows how to box out in close quarters to receive the ball.

Where I am concerned is his football type skills. He’s very linear, like many basketball players on offense. There’s mot much lateral element to his game. While his hands are always in a good position, he also does not extend when catching and lets the ball get way too close to his body. Pro coverage is going to shake a lot of potential receptions loose getting a hand on the ball.

There’s almost no vertical element in his game, and his vertical jump at his pro day was atrocious. You’d expect a player with his profile to go up over the top of coverage and pluck the ball, but it is very rare with him. His strength was awful as well. He’s got some willingness to engage, don’t don’t mistake that for aggression which he doesn’t show, as a blocker - but with his lack of strength, and it’s serious, pro players are going to swamp him or toss him aside despite his size.

He looks like a very limited and one dimensional player to me. He’s a solid athlete, but his RAS is just barely a hair over 8.00. He’s going to have to get not only a lot stronger, but also a lot more aggressive to match up in the NFL, but even then he’s still likely to be limited as linear and within his framework as he plays. I see both Johnson and Wiley as being more advanced as far as moving to the next level. I think we may be looking at a Musgrave kind of TE here.

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Sun May 05, 2024 8:25 am

Bronco Billy wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 7:03 am

I don’t know if Sanders is a sleeper either. He and Sinnot are typically TE2/TE3 off the board this year.

I’m not confident about Sanders’ translation to the pro game. He looks like a basketball player on the field. He’s smooth as silk moving downfield. His hands are always in the right position catch and he locks onto the football. He knows how to box out in close quarters to receive the ball.

Where I am concerned is his football type skills. He’s very linear, like many basketball players on offense. There’s mot much lateral element to his game. While his hands are always in a good position, he also does not extend when catching and lets the ball get way too close to his body. Pro coverage is going to shake a lot of potential receptions loose getting a hand on the ball.

There’s almost no vertical element in his game, and his vertical jump at his pro day was atrocious. You’d expect a player with his profile to go up over the top of coverage and pluck the ball, but it is very rare with him. His strength was awful as well. He’s got some willingness to engage, don’t don’t mistake that for aggression which he doesn’t show, as a blocker - but with his lack of strength, and it’s serious, pro players are going to swamp him or toss him aside despite his size.

He looks like a very limited and one dimensional player to me. He’s a solid athlete, but his RAS is just barely a hair over 8.00. He’s going to have to get not only a lot stronger, but also a lot more aggressive to match up in the NFL, but even then he’s still likely to be limited as linear and within his framework as he plays. I see both Johnson and Wiley as being more advanced as far as moving to the next level. I think we may be looking at a Musgrave kind of TE here.
Agree on most counts. He is much more of a modern move type TE. He is more like a big WR than an in line player. He has so much natural ability tracking and catching the ball he should see the field early as he develops his strength and blocking skills. He has few tells and plucks ball at the last second which I really like.

He is pretty raw but has a great body type to add strength. Fantasy wise I lean more towards receiving ability.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

Bronco Billy
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Sun May 05, 2024 9:09 am

Ice wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 8:25 am
Bronco Billy wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 7:03 am

Agree on most counts. He is much more of a modern move type TE. He is more like a big WR than an in line player. He has so much natural ability tracking and catching the ball he should see the field early as he develops his strength and blocking skills. He has few tells and plucks ball at the last second which I really like.

He is pretty raw but has a great body type to add strength. Fantasy wise I lean more towards receiving ability.
Hope you’re right on your outlook. I’m fine with being wrong if it means a guys becomes successful.

StripesOfKC
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby StripesOfKC » Tue May 07, 2024 7:20 am