Who is this year's Puka?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Re: Who is this year's Puka?

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Wed May 01, 2024 1:43 pm

I feel like Amon-Ra shouldn’t really be included in these types of things (meaning, lumped in with Puka). Sure he was a 4th round pick but he was great at a young age at a big school, contending for targets with Pittman. He was regarded highly after his sophomore season. And this was all known at the time, this isn’t hindsight. Just saying it’s not like he came out of nowhere like Puka.

Straycatz2
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Straycatz2 » Wed May 01, 2024 9:36 pm

Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 1:43 pm Just saying it’s not like he came out of nowhere like Puka.
While Puka was unexpected related to his DC. He had some really nice stats relating to WR that we use in our analytics.

Top PFF grade of all the WR in his class.
Top YPRR out of the class.

With just those 2 stats, shouldn't we have paid more attention to him? Ppl make it seem like he was a nobody.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-early-stea ... puka-nacua

And a useless stat, Top Gauntlet time of the class. (Keon Coleman is Top of 2024 class).

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Wed May 01, 2024 9:51 pm

Straycatz2 wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 9:36 pm
Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 1:43 pm Just saying it’s not like he came out of nowhere like Puka.
While Puka was unexpected related to his DC. He had some really nice stats relating to WR that we use in our analytics.

Top PFF grade of all the WR in his class.
Top YPRR out of the class.

With just those 2 stats, shouldn't we have paid more attention to him? Ppl make it seem like he was a nobody.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-early-stea ... puka-nacua

And a useless stat, Top Gauntlet time of the class. (Keon Coleman is Top of 2024 class).
You’re talking in hindsight though. My entire point is ARSB was a hyped prospect before hand.

And I’ve also seen charts with all kinds of Puka stats, and there are straight up turds who do well in those stats too.

Also, there is probably an article out there for every single player drafted calling them a steal.

Straycatz2
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Straycatz2 » Wed May 01, 2024 9:57 pm

Sure but in that list of top PFF scores many of those poped last year (puka, Dell, Douglas, Rice, Downs).

Not saying everyone is good, but you can find guys that may exceed their draft position. Most ppl didn't like Rice for example.

I mean in the 4th why not take a dart throw at a random player with a high PFF score. Could be worse.

Straycatz2
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Straycatz2 » Wed May 01, 2024 10:34 pm

Malik Washington seems like a interesting pick to at least beat his DC and draft position.

Nice YPRR
Highest pff score vs zone
Led the class on 1st down conversions.
Caught 85% of his contested targets
Highest pff score short yardage targets
Led the class in broken tackles
On a pass happy team, although tough competition.

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2024-nfl ... y-category

jordanzs
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jordanzs » Thu May 02, 2024 1:55 am

I’ll plant a flag here in case Ryan Flourny becomes a household name.

And if not, I’ll simply drop him to the waiver wire and grab someone else…..

TheTroll
Legend
Legend

Postby TheTroll » Thu May 02, 2024 2:40 am

jordanzs wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 1:55 am I’ll plant a flag here in case Ryan Flourny becomes a household name.

And if not, I’ll simply drop him to the waiver wire and grab someone else…..
Like that one!
Team 1
Dynasty 10 team, 22 roster + 6 Taxi, PPR
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 Flex, 1 TE, K, Def

QB: Love, Goff, Fields
RB: Bijan, Montgomery, Kamara, Ford, K Herbert, Zeke, Mattison
WR: Jefferson, Olave, London, Ridley, Sutton, Shaheed
TE: Kincaid, Kittle, Freiermuth
K: Tucker, Sanders
DEF: CLE

Taxi: Charbs, K Mitchell, Demercado, QJ, D Douglas, W Robinson, Hooker

Picks
2024: 1.03, 3.06, 3.09, 4.09
2025: 2, 3, 3, 3, 4, 5
2026: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Team 2
Dynasty 10 team, 22 man roster + 6 Taxi, PPR, SF and TEP
1QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 Flex, 1 S Flex

QB: Allen, Goff, Watson, Jones
RB: K Williams, B Robinson, Chubb, Ford, Mostert, A Gibson, Dillon, Pierce, Zeke
WR: Olave, T Hill, Addison, D Adams, C Watson, D Johnson, G Davis, OBJ
TE: Kincaid, Kmet, Goedert

Taxi: Mitchell, DTR, Mims, K Miller, Douglas, Vaughn

Picks
2024: 1.08, 3.02, 3.09
2025: 1, 3, 4, 5
2026: 1, 1, 2, 2, 3, 4, 5

Lumps
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Lumps » Thu May 02, 2024 2:45 am

To add on to the stats already posted for him:

I’ll say Malik Washington will outperform his capital, but it won’t be Puka. Maybe if Tyreek and Waddle both miss time you could have a chance. Has strong production and a replicable role.

He’s nearly a starter as it is already. I only say nearly because of the backs they have get moved around a lot in addition to Hill and Waddle.

Apparently, McDaniels wanted him in earlier rounds. Still, it wont be Puka.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Thu May 02, 2024 4:08 am

Straycatz2 wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 9:57 pm Sure but in that list of top PFF scores many of those poped last year (puka, Dell, Douglas, Rice, Downs).

Not saying everyone is good, but you can find guys that may exceed their draft position. Most ppl didn't like Rice for example.

I mean in the 4th why not take a dart throw at a random player with a high PFF score. Could be worse.
You're right, and so is DD.

There's nothing wrong with taking a late flyer on someone with a really high PFF score. It's at least something you can point to and feel good about. It may lead to something.

Simultaneously, there are a lot of highly graded PFF players who do nothing. You can make a "steal" argument for just about any player and the statistical reasons will be all over the place. Steals defy conventional logic.

StripesOfKC
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby StripesOfKC » Thu May 02, 2024 5:32 am

Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 1:43 pm I feel like Amon-Ra shouldn’t really be included in these types of things (meaning, lumped in with Puka). Sure he was a 4th round pick but he was great at a young age at a big school, contending for targets with Pittman. He was regarded highly after his sophomore season. And this was all known at the time, this isn’t hindsight. Just saying it’s not like he came out of nowhere like Puka.
Sounds like Troy Franklin :think:

StripesOfKC
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby StripesOfKC » Thu May 02, 2024 5:36 am

Again 99% no one but some guys on day 3 who pop out at me for different metrics are Troy Franklin, Javon Baker and Jacob Cowing

Franklin wouldn't really be a Puka type out of nowhere so one of the other two would be my choice. I don't think Baker is any worse than Jalynn Polk who his team took in the 2nd and I wouldn't be shocked if Cowing is as good as Ricky Pearsall who his team took in the 1st.

Obviously data wise these aren't great bets but their prices (besides Franklin's) are in line with what day 3 WRs nobody is expecting much from should be at

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Thu May 02, 2024 7:33 am

StripesOfKC wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 5:32 am
Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 1:43 pm I feel like Amon-Ra shouldn’t really be included in these types of things (meaning, lumped in with Puka). Sure he was a 4th round pick but he was great at a young age at a big school, contending for targets with Pittman. He was regarded highly after his sophomore season. And this was all known at the time, this isn’t hindsight. Just saying it’s not like he came out of nowhere like Puka.
Sounds like Troy Franklin :think:
WR's after the 10th one drafted should probably count as hopeful dart throws IMO given the hit rate is probably pretty bad. Puka was the 20th WR drafted last year. This year players like Roman Wilson who went 14th and Franklin went 17th have tons of upside but were selected way down this years class similar to Puka.

The Odds of anyone breaking all time rookie WR records in NFL history, let alone 2 records like Puka did is close to impossible. The best of the best never did what he did and on average the NFL selects around 10 WR's in the first 2 rounds of their annual draft.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

SoftwoodGrampian
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby SoftwoodGrampian » Thu May 02, 2024 7:37 am

Bronco Billy wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 9:58 am
JTLoh wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 6:31 am First of all, don't listen to these losers. If you have a 4th round pick and you use it, you are in fact Chasing Dragons.
We all wanna find the Puka.

Brendon Rice
Don't over draft. But if you have a 4th, add him.
With 7th round draft capital, nobody will be taking him above the 4th.

In that WR room, he could get an opportunity where other guys you take in the 4th won't even get an opportunity. And Opportunity is the first factor in finding a Puka.
So you’re the loser we’re supposed to listen to?

Pass
Love this. We’re all losers in a forum.

BHSU
Rookie
Rookie

Postby BHSU » Thu May 02, 2024 7:54 am

It's easily Javon Baker.

QB: Jordan Love/Dak Prescott/Aidan O'Connell

RB: Jonathan Taylor/Isaih Pacheco/Zamir White/Jonathan Brooks/Kendre Miller/Tyrone Tracy/Bucky Irving/Pierre Strong/Dylan Laube

WR: CeeDee Lamb/Brandon Aiyuk/Drake London/Brian Thomas JR/Ladd McConkey/Javon Baker/Dontayvion Wicks/Darius Slayton/Malik Washington/Greg Dortch/Cedric Tillman

TE: Trey McBride/Cole Kmet/Hunter Henry/Michael Mayer/Jelani Woods/Erick All

AZK
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby AZK » Thu May 02, 2024 7:57 am

Javon Baker is my nomination for biggest value bump from this draft to next offseason. He is not the next Puka / whoever else you wanna include though.
Ainslie-Rachlin Law, "Our decisions... are guided by the perceived values at the moment of the decision - not by the potential final value."