Garrett Wilson or Malik Nabers?

This is the place for team advice - should I make this trade, should I draft that player, etc.

Garrett Wilson or Malik Nabers?

Poll ended at Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:19 pm

Malik Nabers
25%
Garrett Wilson
75%

Total votes: 67

MacDaddy123
MVP
MVP

Re: Garrett Wilson or Malik Nabers?

Postby MacDaddy123 » Sun Apr 14, 2024 8:31 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 7:35 pm
knotts4372 wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 4:54 am
MacDaddy123 wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:20 pm

Because we play fantasy, and we want more than 12.5 PPR PPG.
I see GW as Nabers floor, J. Chase as his ceiling.
that has gotta be one of the most insane comments i've seen on here in a long while. rookie fever in full swing.
Nabers is a better prospect than G Wilson. I don't know about Wilson being his floor, and Chase his ceiling, but I'd take Nabers over Wilson.
Yeah, I just don't get the "rookie fever is in full swing" take.
I mean, if anything, Garrett Wilson and Chris Olave stans are still smitten with "rookie fever".

I have no idea any other explanation for why the community ranks Wilson and Olave above Waddle and DeVonta Smith. :crazy:

I mean at least Waddle and Smith have had WR1 finishes in their 2nd season in the NFL.
It's time we stop giving out participation trophies for WR2/WR3 production. :boohoo:

FiremanEd
Legend
Legend

Postby FiremanEd » Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:53 am

Yeah, not sure I get it. I am confident saying that many of those same people would have MHJ > Wilson/Olave. Nabers is that tier of prospect, and a superior one to Wilson/Olave IMO, so it seems silly to have a take that it’s simply ‘rookie fever’.

Wilson went to Zach Wilson and has uncertainty at QB/coaching after 2024. Olave’s best QB has been Derek Carr with uncertainty going forward. Nabers can go to a poor QB and do what they did. He can also go to Just Herbert and be in the best situation of them all (Even on Harbaugh volume, I believe this), while being a superior prospect.

I get preferring the established over Nabers, but it isn’t just rookie fever. There is logical reason to believe it and it is close if nothing else.

BabyChark23
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby BabyChark23 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:11 am

This thread is gonna really get hopping when the Jets trade up for Nabers.

murphysxm
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby murphysxm » Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:18 am

TheTroll wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 4:49 pm I believe Nabers is a lock even if he is drafted by the GMen!
There are no locks. I would be pretty happy if Nabers enters the league and matches Wilson's performance to date. Why absorb the risk?
I am just a guy sharing some thoughts

Peener
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Peener » Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:27 am

murphysxm wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:18 am There are no locks. I would be pretty happy if Nabers enters the league and matches Wilson's performance to date. Why absorb the risk?
Cus we're shooting for the next 350 point rookie/sophomore year? If you're happy with Wilson barely scraping 200 points his first two years then why not capitalize on name value and "tier-down" to Smith, Pickens, Pittman, Reed, Addison, Flowers, Waddle, list goes on... Roughly the same production and you'll probably get a decent plus on top of all of those guys (for whatever weird reason I don't understand).

FiremanEd
Legend
Legend

Postby FiremanEd » Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:56 am

murphysxm wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:18 am
TheTroll wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 4:49 pm I believe Nabers is a lock even if he is drafted by the GMen!
There are no locks. I would be pretty happy if Nabers enters the league and matches Wilson's performance to date. Why absorb the risk?
Reasons could include:
- 3 years younger
- Superior prospect
- Destination upside potential

I love Garrett Wilson, but Nabers isn’t a lesser prospect and while Wilson has been solid, he’s hardly been special for fantasy. While he could be, the window could be short lived and when it ends or he doesn’t hit it, value decline could occur.

The opportunity for an equally talented and younger player in a better situation isn’t a deal you can usually make straight up. The unknowns and uncertainty are what make it possible. The rationale is valid, even if it is riskier from a floor perspective.

I’m pretty high on Nabers though.

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:05 am

MacDaddy123 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:29 pm I have to admit that the results so far are surprising to me.
I realize that I am higher on Nabers than consensus, for me, MHJ and Nabers are the 2 best WR prospects since Ja'Marr Chase in 2021.

So obviously, I have Nabers > GW.
Sure, but how you felt about Wilson as a prospect compared to Nabers is borderline irrelevant. Wilson has been great in the NFL and you have no idea how Nabers will be. What players do in the NFL is generally more important than what they did in college. It doesn’t make sense to take the risk.

murphysxm
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby murphysxm » Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:51 am

Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:05 am
MacDaddy123 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:29 pm I have to admit that the results so far are surprising to me.
I realize that I am higher on Nabers than consensus, for me, MHJ and Nabers are the 2 best WR prospects since Ja'Marr Chase in 2021.

So obviously, I have Nabers > GW.
Sure, but how you felt about Wilson as a prospect compared to Nabers is borderline irrelevant. Wilson has been great in the NFL and you have no idea how Nabers will be. What players do in the NFL is generally more important than what they did in college. It doesn’t make sense to take the risk.
This.

FiremanEd
Legend
Legend

Postby FiremanEd » Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:06 am

So where do people draw the line on current vs prospect? Where is the line for Nabers? Do you prefer these guys to MHJ?

murphysxm
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby murphysxm » Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:39 am

FiremanEd wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:06 am So where do people draw the line on current vs prospect? Where is the line for Nabers? Do you prefer these guys to MHJ?
On the same vein, Nabors is a better prospect than JJ was and JJ is even older, do you prefer Nabers over him? I think it is a philosophy thing. I lean towards the production at this level I have seen, over the potential of the prospect with an unknown landing spot.

FiremanEd
Legend
Legend

Postby FiremanEd » Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:10 am

murphysxm wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:39 am
FiremanEd wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:06 am So where do people draw the line on current vs prospect? Where is the line for Nabers? Do you prefer these guys to MHJ?
On the same vein, Nabors is a better prospect than JJ was and JJ is even older, do you prefer Nabers over him? I think it is a philosophy thing. I lean towards the production at this level I have seen, over the potential of the prospect with an unknown landing spot.
Jefferson’s NFL production is rivaled by few in NFL history. Putting JJ and Wilson in the same conversation isn’t comparable. My question was completely valid and I’m curious where you slot in these rookies. At a point there is a line, that even if you choose to trade your rookie picks in every scenario, let your own evaluation determine what you consider to be fair.

I get your philosophy concept, but at every point you have to draw the line. Would you prefer Pittman to the rookies because you’ve seen it? He’s safe, still young enough, and produces. I’m guessing you have the rookies above him. At a point you’re shifting your philosophy based on something. Part of that is age. Part of that is production to date. Part of it is outlook forward.

I would take JJ over Nabers and MHJ. I’d take MHJ and Nabers over Wilson and Pittman. I’m not saying everyone has to and I’m 100% confident, but I’m willing to take some risks when I feel strong about a player. Agree I could be wrong, but sometimes I’ll (hopefully) be right.
Last edited by FiremanEd on Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:21 am

FiremanEd wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:10 amMy question was completely valid and I’m curious where you slot in these rookies. At a point there is a line, that even if you choose to trade your rookie picks in every scenario, let your own evaluation determine what you consider to be fair.
For me, that line is probably any WR that is a dynasty T14WR and is not old or in an iffy situation.

I'm not taking any rookie WR over Lamb, JJ, Chase, ARSB, Puka, Olave, Aiyuk, Waddle, London, Pittman, Devonta and maybe a couple of others.

After MHJr, I could add another five or six before I'd even consider Nabers over them.

Odunze? I love the kid, but add another three or four to that count.

I'll let other fantasy managers chase cars rolling down the street. I'm happy to take the proven young veteran over the shiny rolling rim, every day.
TEAM 1:
12 Team ppr w/20 keepers - start 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1FLX 6IDP 1DEF
QB: Tua, Lamar, Levis
RB: Etienne, Pacheco, JavonteWms, JFord, CEH
WR: Lamb, JChase, Waddle, Pickens, MWilliams, Q Johnston
TE: Goedert, Friermuth
DEF: Cowboys, Ravens
IDP:(LB) Bolton, Greenlaw; (DE/DL) ZCollins, BJHill; (S/CB) Pitre, Bates, Witherspoon
2023 & 2022 Champion: 2020 third place: 2019 Champion

TEAM 2:
14 Team 30roster SF/ppr/TEP - QB/RB/WR/TE/5FLX/SF
QB: Tua, CJStroud, Carr, AOC, MWhite, Lock
RB: Etienne, Stevenson, GusE, AJD, Singletary, CEH, Spiller
WR: Amon-Ra, Kirk, Dell, Thielen, Gallup, Ch Jones
TE: Andrews, Waller, Taysom, Smythe, WMallory, JOliver
2023 semifinals loser

FiremanEd
Legend
Legend

Postby FiremanEd » Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:31 am

Anteaters wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:21 am
FiremanEd wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:10 amMy question was completely valid and I’m curious where you slot in these rookies. At a point there is a line, that even if you choose to trade your rookie picks in every scenario, let your own evaluation determine what you consider to be fair.
For me, that line is probably any WR that is a dynasty T14WR and is not old or in an iffy situation.

I'm not taking any rookie WR over Lamb, JJ, Chase, ARSB, Puka, Olave, Aiyuk, Waddle, London, Pittman, Devonta and maybe a couple of others.

After MHJr, I could add another five or six before I'd even consider Nabers over them.

I'll let other fantasy managers chase cars rolling down the street. I'm happy to take the proven young veteran over the shiny rolling rim, every day.
This is great insight. Thanks for sharing. The list size surprises me, but I get (what I’d consider) the conservative approach.

For what it’s worth, I offered Pittman for 1.06 yesterday and was told to GTFO. I thought it perhaps aggressive (but realistically = 1.07), but it sounds like you’d have strongly considered it. Opinions can certainly vary.

BabyChark23
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby BabyChark23 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:35 am

Anteaters wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:21 am

I get the point you’re making about proven vs potential but just to be clear: if you were on the clock at 1.01 in single QB league, and had the choice to trade the 1.01 straight up for waddle (with no one else willing to pay more), you would prefer taking Waddle over drafting MHJR?

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:37 am

FiremanEd wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:31 amFor what it’s worth, I offered Pittman for 1.06 yesterday and was told to GTFO. I thought it perhaps aggressive (but realistically = 1.07), but it sounds like you’d have strongly considered it. Opinions can certainly vary.
SF? Unless I was targeting a QB, I probably would have taken that deal to add Pittman. Let's say it was Odunze/Bowers or Pittman. I'm running away with Pittman like I stole something.
TEAM 1:
12 Team ppr w/20 keepers - start 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1FLX 6IDP 1DEF
QB: Tua, Lamar, Levis
RB: Etienne, Pacheco, JavonteWms, JFord, CEH
WR: Lamb, JChase, Waddle, Pickens, MWilliams, Q Johnston
TE: Goedert, Friermuth
DEF: Cowboys, Ravens
IDP:(LB) Bolton, Greenlaw; (DE/DL) ZCollins, BJHill; (S/CB) Pitre, Bates, Witherspoon
2023 & 2022 Champion: 2020 third place: 2019 Champion

TEAM 2:
14 Team 30roster SF/ppr/TEP - QB/RB/WR/TE/5FLX/SF
QB: Tua, CJStroud, Carr, AOC, MWhite, Lock
RB: Etienne, Stevenson, GusE, AJD, Singletary, CEH, Spiller
WR: Amon-Ra, Kirk, Dell, Thielen, Gallup, Ch Jones
TE: Andrews, Waller, Taysom, Smythe, WMallory, JOliver
2023 semifinals loser