Next level rookie QB

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Big Al
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Next level rookie QB

Postby Big Al » Sun Apr 07, 2024 6:15 am

Who has the most potential after the top 6 rookie QB's. Players like Purdy and O'Connell, etc. if there are any?

Bronco Billy
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Re: Next level rookie QB

Postby Bronco Billy » Sun Apr 07, 2024 6:25 am

Rattler may be the best long shot in this draft, but that’s what it is - a very very long shot. There likely won’t be another player like Purdy for another 20 years or more, and O’Connell’s position for the foreseeable future may be clipboard holder.

yinzername
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby yinzername » Sun Apr 07, 2024 7:08 am

Everybody has the chance to be an AOC, lol
SF - PPR - 12t - start10
Notable Assets in Rebuild
QB: Mahomes - Levis - Rudolph
RB: K Mitchell - J McLaughlin - C Rodriguez - Z Evans
WR: AJB - M Pittman- R Doubs - E Moore - Shaheed - C Tillman- A Iosivas
TE: MAndrews - Kraft
'24: 1.1, 1.7, 2.1, 2.6, 2.10, 3.1, 3.10
‘25: 1 1st, 2 2nds, 2 3rds

2nd year DFF
SF - PPR - 12t - start10
QB: TLaw - Purdy - Goff
RB: Chubb - D Montgomery - D Singletary - A Mattison - K Miller - J Hill
WR: CeeDee - Aiyuk - Rice - Godwin - J Reed - E Moore
TE: Kittle - Kincaid - Chig
picks: 1.09, 2.11

tstafford
GOAT
GOAT

Postby tstafford » Sun Apr 07, 2024 7:34 am

Rattler would be my pick as well. But like BB said, it's a really long shot. It's a long shot with Penix and Nix IMO.

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Sun Apr 07, 2024 8:28 am

Big Al wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 6:15 amWho has the most potential after the top 6 rookie QB's. Players like Purdy and O'Connell, etc. if there are any?
The player matters, but it's the situation much more than the player when it comes to QB surprises.

If any of these guys end up in KC/JAX/HOU or any team with a locked-in QB situation, they have no chance at being fantasy worthy. However, if one of these guys end up in NYJ/SEA/TB then I'm going to dig deeper to see if the player himself is good enough to take advantage of what could become an advantageous situation.

Any guess today is garbage in garbage out.
TEAM 1:
12 Team ppr w/20 keepers - start 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1FLX 6IDP 1DEF
QB: Tua, Lamar, Levis
RB: Etienne, Pacheco, JavonteWms, JFord, CEH
WR: Lamb, JChase, Waddle, Pickens, MWilliams, Q Johnston
TE: Goedert, Friermuth
DEF: Cowboys, Ravens
IDP:(LB) Bolton, Greenlaw; (DE/DL) ZCollins, BJHill; (S/CB) Pitre, Bates, Witherspoon
2023 & 2022 Champion: 2020 third place: 2019 Champion

TEAM 2:
14 Team 30roster SF/ppr/TEP - QB/RB/WR/TE/5FLX/SF
QB: Tua, CJStroud, Carr, AOC, MWhite, Lock
RB: Etienne, Stevenson, GusE, AJD, Singletary, CEH, Spiller
WR: Amon-Ra, Kirk, Dell, Thielen, Gallup, Ch Jones
TE: Andrews, Waller, Taysom, Smythe, WMallory, JOliver
2023 semifinals loser

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:53 am

One thing I've noticed with non-1st round QB hits recently is that it's almost all situation-dependent:

Hurts - Philadelphia (great OL, great coaching, good WRs, good GM)
Prescott - Dallas (great OL, decent coaching, good WRs)
Purdy - San Francisco (good OL, WRs, Kyle Shanahan, good GM)
Cousins - Washington (good WRs, Kyle Shanahan, Sean McVay)
Russ - Seattle (good coach, good GM, elite defense)
Carr - Oakland/Vegas (???)

Also, outside of Carr, all QBs who were 3-4 year starters at a P5.

So, to answer the question...I don't know? We wait and see what happens in a few weeks. The overwhelming majority of these non-R1 QBs will be clipboard holders and out of the league in a few years. It's why I hate using draft capital on non-R1 QBs even in Superflex. You just end up drafting a bunch of Matt Corral and Malik Willis clones.

I would look more closely at situation after draft day. Think about what teams a backup QB could step into and produce somewhat decently with a chance and would get additional years to keep the job.

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Sun Apr 07, 2024 12:24 pm

Anteaters wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 8:28 am The player matters, but it's the situation much more than the player when it comes to QB surprises.

If any of these guys end up in KC/JAX/HOU or any team with a locked-in QB situation, they have no chance at being fantasy worthy. However, if one of these guys end up in NYJ/SEA/TB then I'm going to dig deeper to see if the player himself is good enough to take advantage of what could become an advantageous situation.

We would have called Purdy's situation a "locked-in QB situation"... Jimmy G as the immediate starter, and the future secured with the monster trade up to 1.03 for Trey Lance.

Carson Wentz was pretty "locked in" to Philly until they ate millions to be "un-locked in" and roll with Jalen...

Carry on.

81-
Captain
Captain

Postby 81- » Sun Apr 07, 2024 12:31 pm

I wouldn't touch Rattler with a 10ft pole. But feel free to waste a late pick on him if you are so inclined.

Actually, I wouldn't touch any past the top six.

I also feel like once you go past six at any position you are throwing a dart.

I'd rather throw that dart at a wr or RB before a qb
12 Team, 1QB, 3WR, 2RB, 1TE, 1Flex, D, K, 10 Bench
1PPR, 0.5 point per carry.
Burrow, Richardson
AJ Brown, DJMoore, G Wilson, T Higgens, Sutton, Tillman, Melton
King Henry, Bijan, Pacheco, Mixon, Ford, JK
Hockenson, Musgrave
Random Kicker
Niners

Picks in 2024 - #15, #22, #23, #27

jordanzs
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jordanzs » Sun Apr 07, 2024 1:26 pm

Last summer, people thought Stetson Bennett was the one

Bronco Billy
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Sun Apr 07, 2024 1:37 pm

81- wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 12:31 pm I wouldn't touch Rattler with a 10ft pole. But feel free to waste a late pick on him if you are so inclined.

Actually, I wouldn't touch any past the top six.

I also feel like once you go past six at any position you are throwing a dart.

I'd rather throw that dart at a wr or RB before a qb
Pretty sure the bolded isn’t true, but maybe some of us are better at darts than others, I guess.

moishetreats
Legend
Legend

Postby moishetreats » Sun Apr 07, 2024 1:38 pm

Purdy and AOC, IMO, are different situations.

In 2022, Purdy was the #3 QB. He only got playing time because both the QBs ahead of him on the depth chart at the start of the season got injured. And there wasn't anything that we had really heard about him before he got in the lineup that would suggest any real potential.

AOC, on the other hand, flashed during the preseason and only had an unimpressive and oft-injured QB ahead of him on the depth chart. So I think it was far more reasonable to roster him on the realistic chance he'd get some play time.

Of course, there is one common denominator between the two: they each replaced Jimmy G in the lineup :).

Bottom line: for next level QBs, I'd look for players who both flash in the preseason and have a realistic chance of getting play time their rookie season.
10 tms 27 plrs PPR
Start: 2QB 2RB 3WR 2TE 2Flex / best ball

QB: Herbert, Love, Rodgers, G Smith, Stidham, T Taylor, Hall
RB: McCaffrey, Mixon, Pacheco, Montgomery, Z White, Allgeier, Dillon
WR: Hill, St. Brown, Kupp, Allen, Lockett, B Johnson
TE: Kelce, Kmet, Kraft, Okonkwo, Dulcich, Tremble

2024: 2.09, 3.07, 3.08, 3.10, 4.08
2025: 2nd (x2), 4th, 5th (x2)
2026: 1st, 2nd (x2), 3rd, 4th, 5th

12 tms 22 active plyrs. Salary Cap $300 PPR
Start: 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1SF 1Flex / best ball

QB: Lawrence (contract through 2026), Love ('24), Rodgers ('24), Stidham ('25), Lock ('25)
RB: Bijan Robinson ('25), Pollard ('27), Dillon ('24), Rodriguez ('24), Spiller ('24)
WR: G Wilson ('26), AJ Brown ('26), DJ Montgomery ('25)
TE: --
2024 Cap Spent: $186

IR: --
TAXI SQUAD (4 max): --

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Sun Apr 07, 2024 1:55 pm

mild wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 12:24 pm
Anteaters wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 8:28 am The player matters, but it's the situation much more than the player when it comes to QB surprises.

We would have called Purdy's situation a "locked-in QB situation"... Jimmy G as the immediate starter, and the future secured with the monster trade up to 1.03 for Trey Lance.

Carson Wentz was pretty "locked in" to Philly until they ate millions to be "un-locked in" and roll with Jalen...

Carry on.
What Moishe said, and ...

I would not have called the situation in SF a locked-in QB situation. Jimmy G hasn't been healthy since I could run a mile, and anyone who had good sense knew Trey was only more playing time away from playing himself out of being a starting QB.

I agree I might not have chose Purdy, MR irreverent, as my darkhorse rookie QB choice of that draft, but it wouldn't have been because the QB situation in SF looked rosy and set in stone.

Wentz was already on shaky ground after another QB led "his" team to a SB. Philly didn't choose Hurts that high because they were confident they had the right QB in Wentz. I wouldn't have spent a lot to get Hurts (because I doubted his ability to be an NFL QB), but Wentz was already looking like an iffy long-term Philly QB at that point.

But I have no issue with anyone who chooses to blow their rookie QB wildcard choice on KC's backup rookie QB. As some sportscaster once said, "Miracles do happen!!!" We're all making our best guesses when it comes to this topic.
Last edited by Anteaters on Sun Apr 07, 2024 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TEAM 1:
IDP:(LB) Bolton, Greenlaw; (DE/DL) ZCollins, BJHill; (S/CB) Pitre, Bates, Witherspoon

TEAM 2:
2023 semifinals loser

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Sun Apr 07, 2024 2:00 pm

jordanzs wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 1:26 pm Last summer, people thought Stetson Bennett was the one
Bennett wasn't my dart throw rookie QB choice, but I understand the reasoning behind choosing him. There was a chance, in that "so you're saying there's a chance" sort of way. And that's the most we can ask for in this type of choice.
TEAM 1:

TEAM 2:
2023 semifinals loser

TheTroll
Legend
Legend

Postby TheTroll » Sun Apr 07, 2024 2:12 pm

Anteaters wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 2:00 pm
jordanzs wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 1:26 pm Last summer, people thought Stetson Bennett was the one
Bennett wasn't my dart throw rookie QB choice, but I understand the reasoning behind choosing him. There was a chance, in that "so you're saying there's a chance" sort of way. And that's the most we can ask for in this type of choice.
I think dart throws on QBs basically are dependent of the ability to stash obvious QBs who could ride the pine the whole year. Other positions have a deeper pool of “maybes” because their chance to step in is more probable. I have stashed Willis, Hooker, and DTR but only for as long as I can hold the roster spot.
Team 1
Dynasty 10 team, 22 roster + 6 Taxi, PPR
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 Flex, 1 TE, K, Def

QB: Love, Goff, Fields
RB: Bijan, Montgomery, Kamara, Ford, K Herbert, Zeke, Mattison
WR: Jefferson, Olave, London, Ridley, Sutton, Shaheed
TE: Kincaid, Kittle, Freiermuth
K: Tucker, Sanders
DEF: CLE

Taxi: Charbs, K Mitchell, Demercado, QJ, D Douglas, W Robinson, Hooker

Picks
2024: 1.03, 3.06, 3.09, 4.09
2025: 2, 3, 3, 3, 4, 5
2026: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Team 2
Dynasty 10 team, 22 man roster + 6 Taxi, PPR, SF and TEP
1QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 Flex, 1 S Flex

QB: Allen, Goff, Watson, Jones
RB: K Williams, B Robinson, Chubb, Ford, Mostert, A Gibson, Dillon, Pierce, Zeke
WR: Olave, T Hill, Addison, D Adams, C Watson, D Johnson, G Davis, OBJ
TE: Kincaid, Kmet, Goedert

Taxi: Mitchell, DTR, Mims, K Miller, Douglas, Vaughn

Picks
2024: 1.08, 3.02, 3.09
2025: 1, 3, 4, 5
2026: 1, 1, 2, 2, 3, 4, 5

jordanzs
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jordanzs » Sun Apr 07, 2024 2:41 pm

TheTroll wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 2:12 pm
Anteaters wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 2:00 pm
I think dart throws on QBs basically are dependent of the ability to stash obvious QBs who could ride the pine the whole year. Other positions have a deeper pool of “maybes” because their chance to step in is more probable. I have stashed Willis, Hooker, and DTR but only for as long as I can hold the roster spot.
I also see the logic on Bennett being a function of Stafford’s ability to hold up for a season in question. Remember last summer, we weren’t sure if he could play. DTR as well, he was a short-sell on Deshaun. Turns out we were right on the opportunity but didn’t know that all world Flacco would come and save the day.

In Superflex, I won’t mind taking a QB that ends up in Miami. Tua held up nicely last year but who knows what this year will bring