Unpopular Opinion: You will waste your premium 1st round pick on Brock Bowers.

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
tstafford
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Unpopular Opinion: You will waste your premium 1st round pick on Brock Bowers.

Postby tstafford » Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:54 am

TheTroll wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:05 am
Shcritters wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 6:27 am
DJB wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 4:04 am Would anyone trade Hockenson for Bowers or vice versa?
Depending on if/who MN gets at QB and where Bowers lands I would do that.

If MN takes a high upside QB and Bowers lands in a good spot then I could see him being ranked higher. It would take guts to do that now before those things clear up… but sometimes you need to gamble.
agree, now is an unecessary risk
Right. Forced to make the call today, I'm on Hock. Might change in a month. I'm on pause on trades in most cases at this point waiting for the draft.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Unpopular Opinion: You will waste your premium 1st round pick on Brock Bowers.

Postby FantasyFreak » Wed Apr 03, 2024 8:03 am

I'd take Bowers. Minny doesn't have a QB like Cousins anymore, and Hock is looking at a lost season, or at least a season in which he won't be 100 percent.
Janiel Dones Truther

Foodie. Mild sauce goes in the trash. Well done steak goes with it.

YouMightDieTryin
MVP
MVP

Postby YouMightDieTryin » Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:43 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 8:03 am I'd take Bowers. Minny doesn't have a QB like Cousins anymore, and Hock is looking at a lost season, or at least a season in which he won't be 100 percent.
x2. The MCL/ACL injury plays a great impact to this. If Hock bounces back he'll be 28 on a repaired knee (projecting a lost season). Give me the younger unknown asset.

CGW
Legend
Legend

Postby CGW » Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:57 am

DJB wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 4:04 am Would anyone trade Hockenson for Bowers or vice versa?
Not predraft I wouldn't. Hockenson isn't old by any means. I'm going to see how this off-season plays out before I make that deal. Who do the Vikings peg as their QB and where does Bowers end up.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:57 am

YouMightDieTryin wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:43 am
FantasyFreak wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 8:03 am I'd take Bowers. Minny doesn't have a QB like Cousins anymore, and Hock is looking at a lost season, or at least a season in which he won't be 100 percent.
x2. The MCL/ACL injury plays a great impact to this. If Hock bounces back he'll be 28 on a repaired knee (projecting a lost season). Give me the younger unknown asset.
The fact he did it so late in the season is a big negative for Hock's likely output next season, on top of the QB problem.

https://www.si.com/fannation/bringmethe ... 0the%20ACL.

After looking it up, it's actually worse than I thought.

He didn't have the surgery until JAN 29th!!!! This was due to letting the MCL heal on it's own, rather than operate on it.

ACL/MCL. He's got a little over 7 months from the surgery to when the season starts. No Bueno. PUP is almost inevitable to start the year.
Janiel Dones Truther

Foodie. Mild sauce goes in the trash. Well done steak goes with it.

CGW
Legend
Legend

Postby CGW » Wed Apr 03, 2024 10:08 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:57 am
The fact he did it so late in the season is a big negative for Hock's likely output next season, on top of the QB problem.

He didn't have the surgery until JAN 29th!!!! This was due to letting the MCL heal on it's own, rather than operate on it.

ACL/MCL. He's got a little over 7 months from the surgery to when the season starts. No Bueno. PUP is almost inevitable to start the year.
I'm much more worried about who the QB is than his recovery times. If I was depending on him for a contending team, I'd want to address that...but I'm not ready to say he's toast because he will miss some time in 2024.

81-
Captain
Captain

Postby 81- » Wed Apr 03, 2024 10:22 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:57 am

I expect a slow start to the season and then depending on QB play and recovery, a slow finish to the season. Hopefully I am wrong but will be looking to add to my te room
12 Team, 1QB, 3WR, 2RB, 1TE, 1Flex, D, K, 10 Bench
1PPR, 0.5 point per carry.
Burrow, Richardson
AJ Brown, DJMoore, G Wilson, T Higgens, Sutton, Tillman, Melton
King Henry, Bijan, Pacheco, Mixon, Ford, JK
Hockenson, Musgrave
Random Kicker
Niners

Picks in 2024 - #15, #22, #23, #27

BigBawseRoss
GOAT
GOAT

Postby BigBawseRoss » Wed Apr 03, 2024 10:22 am

Mjvb5 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 2:31 pm
gogobradyarm wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 2:03 pm I don’t think Bowers should fall past 1.04 in 1 QB PPR leagues. TEs in the first round are high hit rates.
While I agree that bowers is likely the lock 1.4 or 1.5 in 1 qb. rd 1 TE is not a high hit rate
RD1 TEs since 2010
Dalton kincaid-early but lets say hit
Kyle pitts- meh
Noah Fant-bust
TJ Hock-hit after 5 years before that solid meh
Hayden Hurst-bust
Njoku-bust till year 6
Evan Engram- bust till year 6
OJ Howard bust
Eric Ebron- meh to bust
Tyler Eifert-bust
Jermaine Gresham- meh to bust

you have from these 11, 4 outright busts, one early looking hit, three late breakout hits and the rest were just meh or worse. So unless our saying that you are committing to hold onto a first round pick for 5+ years before really knowing what you put a first rounder into I wouldnt call them a high hit rate, accounting for that were looking at 4/11 hitting
this is why i wont touch him, happy to buy with an early first plus later if he does hit
team 1
12 team, 1 pt for 4 rec, 0.1 per rush
1qb, 3 rb, 4 wr, te, k, 4 idp
Dak , Herbert
Achane, Breece Hall, KW3Kyren,Ford, Miller, Spiller, z evans, singletary
J Jefferson, Diggs, DK, D Smith Puka, C Watson, E Moore
Njoku , HH, Engram

2024 picks
1,3,4,5,5,6,7 (all late mostly)

team 2
12 team .5ppr
qb, 2 rb, 2 wr, te, flx,flx,
Fields, Dak
Ford,Mixon, Javonte, Mostert, Chubb, Spears
Hopkins, Evans, g Wilson Mingo, shaheed, Jamo
Kelce,McBride, Chig,

team 3
14 team sf, even scoring idp to offense (rb scores highly too)
Josh Allen, A Rich, Foles, Rudolph
Bijan, Charbs, Spears, Ebner
J Williams, G Wilson, C Watson, Flowers, J Addison, Tillman
Kincaid, Kolar, Ruckert, Fergeson

Kenny Clark, josh allen, jaelen phillips, felix a-u and a bunch of fluff and rookie fliers at idp

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Wed Apr 03, 2024 2:31 pm

Mjvb5 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 2:31 pm
gogobradyarm wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 2:03 pm I don’t think Bowers should fall past 1.04 in 1 QB PPR leagues. TEs in the first round are high hit rates.
While I agree that bowers is likely the lock 1.4 or 1.5 in 1 qb. rd 1 TE is not a high hit rate
RD1 TEs since 2010
Dalton kincaid-early but lets say hit
Kyle pitts- meh
Noah Fant-bust
TJ Hock-hit after 5 years before that solid meh
Hayden Hurst-bust
Njoku-bust till year 6
Evan Engram- bust till year 6
OJ Howard bust
Eric Ebron- meh to bust
Tyler Eifert-bust
Jermaine Gresham- meh to bust

you have from these 11, 4 outright busts, one early looking hit, three late breakout hits and the rest were just meh or worse. So unless our saying that you are committing to hold onto a first round pick for 5+ years before really knowing what you put a first rounder into I wouldnt call them a high hit rate, accounting for that were looking at 4/11 hitting
Just to add some context, Eifert was a total beast. He was just done in by injuries. I’d say from a talent perspective, maybe at least half the list are busts. Then half of the remaining busts were kinda due to injury and not talent. So, sure, the outlook isn’t that great for 1st round TEs but it’s not necessarily bc they sucked at football. I think the true hit rate is higher than the list would suggest. Probably a bad string of luck the past 10 years or so. But that’s just my opinion anyway.

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Wed Apr 03, 2024 2:40 pm

Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 2:31 pm Just to add some context, Eifert was a total beast. He was just done in by injuries. I’d say from a talent perspective, maybe at least half the list are busts. Then half of the remaining busts were kinda due to injury and not talent. So, sure, the outlook isn’t that great for 1st round TEs but it’s not necessarily bc they sucked at football. I think the true hit rate is higher than the list would suggest. Probably a bad string of luck the past 10 years or so. But that’s just my opinion anyway.
Could we attribute a little of that to the nature of the position? ie. the physicality of playing TE not only means a slower ramp-up time for most rookies (to adjust to the physicality) but also comes with the added risk of serious injury due to playing on the line and trying to block TJ Watt?

Say what we want about WR's, but they simply don't get roughed up the same way...

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Wed Apr 03, 2024 2:55 pm

mild wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 2:40 pm
Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 2:31 pm Just to add some context, Eifert was a total beast. He was just done in by injuries. I’d say from a talent perspective, maybe at least half the list are busts. Then half of the remaining busts were kinda due to injury and not talent. So, sure, the outlook isn’t that great for 1st round TEs but it’s not necessarily bc they sucked at football. I think the true hit rate is higher than the list would suggest. Probably a bad string of luck the past 10 years or so. But that’s just my opinion anyway.
Could we attribute a little of that to the nature of the position? ie. the physicality of playing TE not only means a slower ramp-up time for most rookies (to adjust to the physicality) but also comes with the added risk of serious injury due to playing on the line and trying to block TJ Watt?
I would think so, but I haven't done any research to back up that assumption.
TEAM 1:
12 Team ppr w/20 keepers - start 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1FLX 6IDP 1DEF
QB: Tua, Lamar, Levis
RB: Etienne, Pacheco, JavonteWms, JFord, CEH
WR: Lamb, JChase, Waddle, Pickens, MWilliams, Q Johnston
TE: Goedert, Friermuth
DEF: Cowboys, Ravens
IDP:(LB) Bolton, Greenlaw; (DE/DL) ZCollins, BJHill; (S/CB) Pitre, Bates, Witherspoon
2023 & 2022 Champion: 2020 third place: 2019 Champion

TEAM 2:
14 Team 30roster SF/ppr/TEP - QB/RB/WR/TE/5FLX/SF
QB: Tua, CJStroud, Carr, AOC, MWhite, Lock
RB: Etienne, Stevenson, GusE, AJD, Singletary, CEH, Spiller
WR: Amon-Ra, Kirk, Dell, Thielen, Gallup, Ch Jones
TE: Andrews, Waller, Taysom, Smythe, WMallory, JOliver
2023 semifinals loser

Black Adam
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Black Adam » Wed Apr 03, 2024 3:05 pm

mild wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 6:43 pmBut does anyone here actually believe this, and have a good reason of why it might go any better for Bowers? Because in scouting him, there are some eerie similarities that won't appease the "I want a traditional TE who blocks" crowd...
Picks bust everyday B, so I'm not too worried. :eh:

I'm actually more concerned that Maserati Marv didn't work out during the Combine OR Pro Day. :wtf:
10 Tm Dynasty 1QB/IDP/1.0 PPR/40 Rst
Start 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 W/T, 2 R/W/T, 1 PK, 3 DL, 3 LB, 3 DB, 2 IDP

2015: 7th 💩
2016: 4th :x
2017: 8th 💩
2018: 3rd 🥉
2019: 6th 💩
2020: 1st 🥇
2021: 2nd 🥈
2022: 2nd 🥈
2023: 1st 🥇

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Wed Apr 03, 2024 3:57 pm

mild wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 2:40 pm

Say what we want about WR's, but they simply don't get roughed up the same way...
For sure, I’ve heard TE is a position that suffers a lot of injuries. It’s a very physical position. But I also think there was some bad luck as well, more than normal. But that is just my take on things, I haven’t done a deep dive on this.

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Sat Apr 06, 2024 10:04 am

He is going to be very Good IMO

Will be used like a Kincaid and LaPorta if drafted by the right team.

TE’s have a bit more risk overall but he is easily a first round talent. Anything around 1.4 or later in one QB leagues shouldn’t surprise anyone
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

kellysheroes
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby kellysheroes » Mon Apr 08, 2024 5:05 pm

the sample size has been super small lately, looking back on my past 6 yrs only Pitts, Kin and Hock were drafted in my 1st rounds of 12 teamers. In this class of WRs is Bowers really worth top 4? if so I don't think I'm landing him