Josh Downs Price?

This is the place for team advice - should I make this trade, should I draft that player, etc.
MacDaddy123
MVP
MVP

Re: Josh Downs Price?

Postby MacDaddy123 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:52 pm

Downs current value in a 12 team SF league is right around 1.12/2.01

tstafford
GOAT
GOAT

Postby tstafford » Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:03 am

moishetreats wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:11 pm These reasons don't land for me. I'd still much rather have JSN than Downs. And how you measure "better" is important. By yards only? I think that's a pretty limited window.

As for his rookie season, he played worse as the season went on -- despite lesser competition than JSN. Doesn't matter that he had Minshew; so did Pittman, and he played fine. In Downs' first eight games, he never once played fewer than 71% of the snaps. In his last six games, he only played more than 71% of the snaps twice. He might be good for sure! I'm highly doubting just about anyone would (or should) pay a late 1st to find out.

I'm sticking with mid-2nd at best, and I'm also still on board with Downs + late 2nd for late 1st.
I'm with you on JSN vs. Downs. My POV is that JSN is now undervalued whereas last preseason I thought he was overvalued. The drop has gone too far IMO. Had no interest in acquiring him last year, will for sure make some offers come draft time this year.

I can see why folks want to sell Downs. Especially right now. The vector is sort of Diontae Johnson best case. By that I mean a WR who is started most weeks in most leagues but no one is excited to be doing so. The allure of the WRs in this class is such that a lot of managers would prefer to re-roll vs. that profile. I tend to be on the other side - I like having guys like Diontae, McLaurin, etc. (not sexy but useful and fairly cheap). This time of year however is about potential and upside not slotting in your WR5. Thus the tendency to sell Downs.

moishetreats
Legend
Legend

Postby moishetreats » Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:05 am

tstafford wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:03 am
moishetreats wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:11 pm These reasons don't land for me. I'd still much rather have JSN than Downs. And how you measure "better" is important. By yards only? I think that's a pretty limited window.

As for his rookie season, he played worse as the season went on -- despite lesser competition than JSN. Doesn't matter that he had Minshew; so did Pittman, and he played fine. In Downs' first eight games, he never once played fewer than 71% of the snaps. In his last six games, he only played more than 71% of the snaps twice. He might be good for sure! I'm highly doubting just about anyone would (or should) pay a late 1st to find out.

I'm sticking with mid-2nd at best, and I'm also still on board with Downs + late 2nd for late 1st.
I'm with you on JSN vs. Downs. My POV is that JSN is now undervalued whereas last preseason I thought he was overvalued. The drop has gone too far IMO. Had no interest in acquiring him last year, will for sure make some offers come draft time this year.

I can see why folks want to sell Downs. Especially right now. The vector is sort of Diontae Johnson best case. By that I mean a WR who is started most weeks in most leagues but no one is excited to be doing so. The allure of the WRs in this class is such that a lot of managers would prefer to re-roll vs. that profile. I tend to be on the other side - I like having guys like Diontae, McLaurin, etc. (not sexy but useful and fairly cheap). This time of year however is about potential and upside not slotting in your WR5. Thus the tendency to sell Downs.
I love how you framed that!
10 tms 27 plrs PPR
Start: 2QB 2RB 3WR 2TE 2Flex / best ball

QB: Herbert, Love, Rodgers, G Smith, Stidham, T Taylor, Hall
RB: McCaffrey, Mixon, Pacheco, Montgomery, Z White, Allgeier, Dillon
WR: Hill, St. Brown, Kupp, Allen, Lockett, B Johnson
TE: Kelce, Kmet, Kraft, Okonkwo, Dulcich, Tremble

2024: 2.09, 3.07, 3.08, 3.10, 4.08
2025: 2nd (x2), 4th, 5th (x2)
2026: 1st, 2nd (x2), 3rd, 4th, 5th

12 tms 22 active plyrs. Salary Cap $300 PPR
Start: 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1SF 1Flex / best ball

QB: Lawrence (contract through 2026), Love ('24), Rodgers ('24), Stidham ('25), Lock ('25)
RB: Bijan Robinson ('25), Pollard ('27), Dillon ('24), Rodriguez ('24), Spiller ('24)
WR: G Wilson ('26), AJ Brown ('26), DJ Montgomery ('25)
TE: --
2024 Cap Spent: $186

IR: --
TAXI SQUAD (4 max): --

BigBawseRoss
GOAT
GOAT

Postby BigBawseRoss » Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:14 am

moishetreats wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:11 pm
BigBawseRoss wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:10 am
moishetreats wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:27 pm What am I missing here? Why would anyone realistically pay a late 1st for Downs? Honestly, I think a mid-2nd is the best you'd get if you're selling.
he had a better season than jsn and has less comp for touches.
BigBawseRoss wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:12 am
Viking386 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:17 pm I’m shocked people think Downs is worth anything but a late second
dude put up 750+ in an offense that had a rushing rookie qb for a few weeks and then gardner minshew and he was a first year player. and then the team didnt go get any wrs in free agency
These reasons don't land for me. I'd still much rather have JSN than Downs. And how you measure "better" is important. By yards only? I think that's a pretty limited window.

they both had same target share and almost identical targets but downs produced more and dropped less (jsn had a 7.5% drop rate compared to 3% for downs). downs was better in most every category you can find (air yard, team target %, adot, etc) aside from ave yards after the catch (6 for jsn vs 5.5 downs) and tds (4 to 2). one dude costs a mid first the other costs a mid to late 2nd according to this thread. i think a late first or early 2nd is totally fine for him idk just my opinion. also quick google search shows Downs hurt his knee week 9 and played thru the injury haha so we have a direct explanation for the usage and downtrend
team 1
12 team, 1 pt for 4 rec, 0.1 per rush
1qb, 3 rb, 4 wr, te, k, 4 idp
Dak , Herbert
Achane, Breece Hall, KW3Kyren,Ford, Miller, Spiller, z evans, singletary
J Jefferson, Diggs, DK, D Smith Puka, C Watson, E Moore
Njoku , HH, Engram

2024 picks
1,3,4,5,5,6,7 (all late mostly)

team 2
12 team .5ppr
qb, 2 rb, 2 wr, te, flx,flx,
Fields, Dak
Ford,Mixon, Javonte, Mostert, Chubb, Spears
Hopkins, Evans, g Wilson Mingo, shaheed, Jamo
Kelce,McBride, Chig,

team 3
14 team sf, even scoring idp to offense (rb scores highly too)
Josh Allen, A Rich, Foles, Rudolph
Bijan, Charbs, Spears, Ebner
J Williams, G Wilson, C Watson, Flowers, J Addison, Tillman
Kincaid, Kolar, Ruckert, Fergeson

Kenny Clark, josh allen, jaelen phillips, felix a-u and a bunch of fluff and rookie fliers at idp

moishetreats
Legend
Legend

Postby moishetreats » Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:21 am

BigBawseRoss wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:14 am
moishetreats wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:11 pm
BigBawseRoss wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:10 am

he had a better season than jsn and has less comp for touches.
BigBawseRoss wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:12 am

dude put up 750+ in an offense that had a rushing rookie qb for a few weeks and then gardner minshew and he was a first year player. and then the team didnt go get any wrs in free agency
These reasons don't land for me. I'd still much rather have JSN than Downs. And how you measure "better" is important. By yards only? I think that's a pretty limited window.

they both had same target share and almost identical targets but downs produced more and dropped less (jsn had a 7.5% drop rate compared to 3% for downs). downs was better in most every category you can find (air yard, team target %, adot, etc) aside from ave yards after the catch (6 for jsn vs 5.5 downs) and tds (4 to 2). one dude costs a mid first the other costs a mid to late 2nd according to this thread. i think a late first or early 2nd is totally fine for him idk just my opinion. also quick google search shows Downs hurt his knee week 9 and played thru the injury haha so we have a direct explanation for the usage and downtrend
Thanks for the additional info, BBR. I appreciate the back-and-forth. I might be a little low on Downs after reading this (still not sure that I'm as high on him as you, though). Great food for thought. Thank you!
10 tms 27 plrs PPR
Start: 2QB 2RB 3WR 2TE 2Flex / best ball

QB: Herbert, Love, Rodgers, G Smith, Stidham, T Taylor, Hall
RB: McCaffrey, Mixon, Pacheco, Montgomery, Z White, Allgeier, Dillon
WR: Hill, St. Brown, Kupp, Allen, Lockett, B Johnson
TE: Kelce, Kmet, Kraft, Okonkwo, Dulcich, Tremble

2024: 2.09, 3.07, 3.08, 3.10, 4.08
2025: 2nd (x2), 4th, 5th (x2)
2026: 1st, 2nd (x2), 3rd, 4th, 5th

12 tms 22 active plyrs. Salary Cap $300 PPR
Start: 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1SF 1Flex / best ball

QB: Lawrence (contract through 2026), Love ('24), Rodgers ('24), Stidham ('25), Lock ('25)
RB: Bijan Robinson ('25), Pollard ('27), Dillon ('24), Rodriguez ('24), Spiller ('24)
WR: G Wilson ('26), AJ Brown ('26), DJ Montgomery ('25)
TE: --
2024 Cap Spent: $186

IR: --
TAXI SQUAD (4 max): --

SoftwoodGrampian
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby SoftwoodGrampian » Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:00 am

Late 3rd