WR size consideration (FUN for the 1.1!)

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Re: WR size consideration (FUN for the 1.1!)

Postby Valhalla » Tue Feb 27, 2024 12:12 pm

Just having fun here.
6'4" 227lbs gives us a BMI of 27.6, falling right into the middle of that statistical cluster of the type of stud we expect Marvin to become.
Let's say these guys all play at ~15lbs lighter in season. That brings them down to an in-season BMI average of 25.8. That's MUCH closer to 25 that Marvin is speculated to be! Why have I been worrying about someone weighing in at BMI 25 this whole time? I mean, it's not like we should then assume he'd also lose a good chunk of weight...

I just wish Marvin would participate in the drills...

Remember guys, this is a forum, about a game, of speculative betting on the statistical output of the careers of young men. Don't let what I type upset you so. Let's not take these conversations too seriously.

Bronco Billy
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Tue Feb 27, 2024 12:29 pm

Valhalla wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 12:12 pm Just having fun here.
6'4" 227lbs gives us a BMI of 27.6, falling right into the middle of that statistical cluster of the type of stud we expect Marvin to become.
Let's say these guys all play at ~15lbs lighter in season. That brings them down to an in-season BMI average of 25.8. That's MUCH closer to 25 that Marvin is speculated to be! Why have I been worrying about someone weighing in at BMI 25 this whole time? I mean, it's not like we should then assume he'd also lose a good chunk of weight...

I just wish Marvin would participate in the drills...

Remember guys, this is a forum, about a game, of speculative betting on the statistical output of the careers of young men. Don't let what I type upset you so. Let's not take these conversations too seriously.
Because you’re using combine information to make your assessments.

I don’t think anyone is upset. I thought I was slightly vexed for a couple of minutes, but turns out I was wrong.

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Tue Feb 27, 2024 12:37 pm

Bronco Billy wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 12:29 pm
Because you’re using combine information to make your assessments.
I have, yes. Your point went over my head I'm afraid.

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Tue Feb 27, 2024 12:41 pm

mild wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 12:05 pm
Cameron Giles wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 7:40 am Not to mention, players do not play at their billed weight. There's stories of players playing anywhere from 5-15 lbs less than what they're listed at, and sometimes on the heavier side in the case of linemen.

It's a fun theoretical exercise, but it's based on information that isn't reliable and varies game to game.
And while we're here - does anyone else find it funny that once a player is weighed at the Combine, they never re-weigh them officially during their career?

I think making hard cutoffs for BMI based on their body as a 19 or 20 or 21 year old is kind of fruitless.

So long as they're around the right sort of range, I'm open to them being a couple points off of a supposed threshold if I love the player, especially if they have a frame that can grow.
/thread

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Tue Feb 27, 2024 12:56 pm

Jigga94 wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 12:41 pm
mild wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 12:05 pm
Cameron Giles wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 7:40 am Not to mention, players do not play at their billed weight. There's stories of players playing anywhere from 5-15 lbs less than what they're listed at, and sometimes on the heavier side in the case of linemen.

It's a fun theoretical exercise, but it's based on information that isn't reliable and varies game to game.

I think making hard cutoffs for BMI based on their body as a 19 or 20 or 21 year old is kind of fruitless.

/thread
Eh. I didn't make a hard cut-off. I showed a statistical cluster of the super studs, but acknowledged Moss (my favorite WR) as a BIG outlier. It's not a hard cut-off. It's a consideration in the data pool.

Also...we are playing a game in which we bet on what these people can do with their bodies, what kind of rigors they can withstand and how dominant they can be against other supreme athletes out there. Of course their body matters.
Uh oh...PC police are at my door...

Bronco Billy
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Tue Feb 27, 2024 1:07 pm

Hey, anything that gives us a potential advantage is a great thing IMO. I think you’ve put forth a great effort Valhalla. This is all just kind of the vetting process. I really like that we appear to have created an optimal window of BMIs where we have a cluster of positives. I’ll definitely use that to help make decisions once the top guys are off the board.

Well done.

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Tue Feb 27, 2024 1:25 pm

mild wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 12:05 pm once a player is weighed at the Combine, they never re-weigh them officially during their career?
The importance of this cannot be overstated in relation to this conversation.
TEAM 1:
12 Team ppr w/20 keepers - start 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1FLX 6IDP 1DEF
QB: Tua, Lamar, Levis
RB: Etienne, Pacheco, JavonteWms, JFord, CEH
WR: Lamb, JChase, Waddle, Pickens, MWilliams, Q Johnston
TE: Goedert, Friermuth
DEF: Cowboys, Ravens
IDP:(LB) Bolton, Greenlaw; (DE/DL) ZCollins, BJHill; (S/CB) Pitre, Bates, Witherspoon
2023 & 2022 Champion: 2020 third place: 2019 Champion

TEAM 2:
14 Team 30roster SF/ppr/TEP - QB/RB/WR/TE/5FLX/SF
QB: Tua, CJStroud, Carr, AOC, MWhite, Lock
RB: Etienne, Stevenson, GusE, AJD, Singletary, CEH, Spiller
WR: Amon-Ra, Kirk, Dell, Thielen, Gallup, Ch Jones
TE: Andrews, Waller, Taysom, Smythe, WMallory, JOliver
2023 semifinals loser

Bronco Billy
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Tue Feb 27, 2024 1:34 pm

Anteaters wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 1:25 pm
mild wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 12:05 pm once a player is weighed at the Combine, they never re-weigh them officially during their career?
The importance of this cannot be overstated in relation to this conversation.
They do, but I believe it is up to the team when they list rosters each year as to what they submit.

From my experience, as the skill guys gain experience they gain muscle mass that is often offset by reduced body fat, so that when balanced the result changes little and then drops a bit as the season goes on and guys are still chewing up a bunch of calories but aren’t working out nearly as much.

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Tue Feb 27, 2024 4:42 pm

The bmi (i used weight, but it’s essentially the same thing) stuff isn’t perfect but it’s certainly helped me avoid several busts over the years. QJ, Denzel Mims, DJ Chark, Corey Davis, etc.

People need to stop with the whataboutism (I’ve been dealing with it for nearly a decade on this forum).

The only and best argument against the bmi data is that the entire league is shifting away from more physical play, which may lead to bmi being less and less predictive. But we won’t know if that’s the case for many more years.

Could be similar to my rb report. It’s still predicative, but we’ve seen a shift away from rb usage and more emphasis on the passing game. We’ve seen a shift away from bellcows in favor of rbbc. We’ve also seen what I believe to be more serious injuries to RBs more often, with players continually bigger faster stronger than ever before. You look back just 10-15 years and many RBs were grinding out 1000 yard seasons into their 30s. Now if you go 2 seasons without an Achilles or acl you’re thanking your lucky stars .

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:49 am

If you're drafting a WR based on a BMI measurement you are doing it wrong.

Now if you use that and a 3-cone metric together you may have something. :crazy:
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Thu Feb 29, 2024 11:05 am

Of course MHJ would weigh in at 209, lol

wickerkat1212
Legend
Legend

Postby wickerkat1212 » Thu Feb 29, 2024 4:19 pm

Fascinating stuff here. Who are we ignoring in the draft? I guess we need measureables still.
D3:
QB—Allen, Pickett RB—Kamara, Jacobs, ZWhite, Edwards, Ford, Warren WR—Lamb, Olave, DJM, Puka, Tillman, Marshall, Jefferson, Robinson, Tucker TE—Ferguson, Schoon, Likely, Smith, Washington, Kraft PK—Prater DEF—BAL

D4:
QB—TLaw, JimmyG, Tannehill, AOC, Hall RB—Bijan, Kamara, Conner, Gainwell, Gainwell, Foreman, ZMoss, Chandler, McLaughlin, Murray WR—Jefferson, Hill, Adams, Allen, Tillman, Woods TE—Kelce, Kmet, Conklin PK—Butker DEF—PIT

Superflex 1:
QB—Mahomes, Rodgers, Mayfield RB—Bijan, Kamara, Allgeier, Singletary, Mostert, BRob, Warren, Rodriguez, Spiller WR—Chase, DJM, Devonta, MBrown, Myers, Reynold, Jones TE—Kmet, Likely, Kraft, Conklin, Hurst, Hudson PK—Elliott DEF—PHI

Superflex 2:
QB: Goff, Cousins, Wentz, White; RB: Bijan, BRob, ZWhite, Allgeier, McLaughlin WR: DJM, Higgins, JSN, Downs, RMoore, Atwell, SMoore, PCampbell, DPJ, ATP, Hutchinson, Iosivas, Devante, CJones TE: Ferguson, Kraft, Trautman, Tremble

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Thu Feb 29, 2024 5:43 pm

wickerkat1212 wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 4:19 pm Fascinating stuff here. Who are we ignoring in the draft? I guess we need measureables still.
I saw MHJ measurements were 6'3" 2/8 inches and 209 lbs.

A BMI of 25.9

:boohoo:

Menace2010
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Menace2010 » Thu Feb 29, 2024 5:58 pm

Jigga94 wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 5:43 pm
wickerkat1212 wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 4:19 pm Fascinating stuff here. Who are we ignoring in the draft? I guess we need measureables still.

A BMI of 25.9

Immediately goes on my DO NOT DRAFT list (I'm kidding). Also, interesting statistical analysis...

https://apexfantasyleagues.com/is-it-ti ... %20players.

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Thu Feb 29, 2024 6:30 pm

Jigga94 wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 5:43 pm

A BMI of 25.9

RIP