Levis vs. the "rest" of the field

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Levis vs. the "rest" of the field

Postby Cameron Giles » Mon Feb 05, 2024 7:13 am

In the modern era, Tennessee seems like one of those organizations that always struggles developing QBs for whatever reason. The Callahan hire is encouraging though.

If I'm ranking him among QBs in this class, I think he's about where Michael Penix. So, QB5?

tstafford
GOAT
GOAT

Postby tstafford » Mon Feb 05, 2024 9:54 am

Sriracha wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 6:51 pm
tstafford wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 6:33 pm Curious where folks are on Levis vs. the incoming class. After CW, Maye and Daniels, where do you rank Levis?

Said another way - in a devy league which incoming rookie QBs would you take for Levis? (not inc. the above)

FWIW - My answer is none.
Too early to tell.

Draft capital and landing spot is going to factor into this in a big way.

I can think of a few scenarios where I'd only have CW ahead of him or scenarios where he falls to the 5th QB
Yeah. But that's why I made the caveat of what would you do in a devy league where we don't have the luxury of waiting for landing spots.

Not singling you out, but it's almost like every one of us should put "but it depends on draft capital and landing spot" in our signature.

YouMightDieTryin
MVP
MVP

Postby YouMightDieTryin » Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:09 am

tstafford wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 9:54 am
tstafford wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 6:33 pm Curious where folks are on Levis vs. the incoming class. After CW, Maye and Daniels, where do you rank Levis?

Said another way - in a devy league which incoming rookie QBs would you take for Levis? (not inc. the above)

Too early to tell.

I can think of a few scenarios where I'd only have CW ahead of him or scenarios where he falls to the 5th QB
Yeah. But that's why I made the caveat of what would you do in a devy league where we don't have the luxury of waiting for landing spots.

Not singling you out, but it's almost like every one of us should put "but it depends on draft capital and landing spot" in our signature.
Currently Levis is the only one that has the starting job. So theoretically he's number 1 on the list as of right now...

Bronco Billy
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:16 am

Too early to tell.

Well, that is the risk of playing in Development leagues. But you did ask specifically about comparing Levis to the incoming draft class (which is why I was wondering how being a Devy league makes any difference) and people are giving you their best assessment. It makes a huge difference in assessment between whether a QB lands in ATL vs say KC.

Maybe you could get into specifics so that we could help more since people considering draft capital and landing spot for QBs below the top 3 seems to bother you.

CGW
Legend
Legend

Postby CGW » Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:27 am

No chance I'm putting him above the top 3, CW, Maye and Daniels. They are all likely going in the top 10 of the NFL draft, likely top 5, and be handed the keys immediately. Penix/Nix/JJM it'll depend on landing spots, but I could see taking any of them ahead or behind him depending where they land.

So clock him in at QB4/5 for me tied with Penix.

tstafford
GOAT
GOAT

Postby tstafford » Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:17 am

Bronco Billy wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:16 am

Too early to tell.

Well, that is the risk of playing in Development leagues. But you did ask specifically about comparing Levis to the incoming draft class (which is why I was wondering how being a Devy league makes any difference) and people are giving you their best assessment. It makes a huge difference in assessment between whether a QB lands in ATL vs say KC.

Maybe you could get into specifics so that we could help more since people considering draft capital and landing spot for QBs below the top 3 seems to bother you.
Maybe we're talking across each other. I'm not bothered in any way. I put the devy league thing in there so it didn't become about landing spots. I'm not so much looking for help as wanting to see how folks see Levis vs. the incoming class. I'm just curious. That's all.

BabyChark23
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby BabyChark23 » Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:41 am

tstafford wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:17 am
Bronco Billy wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:16 am

Maybe we're talking across each other. I'm not bothered in any way. I put the devy league thing in there so it didn't become about landing spots. I'm not so much looking for help as wanting to see how folks see Levis vs. the incoming class. I'm just curious. That's all.
I’d put him at QB4, behind the big 3. Some of the other guys could end up passing him at the next level, but we’ve already seen some promising things from Levis, which gives him the edge in my book.

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Mon Feb 05, 2024 1:58 pm

If landing spot or draft capital is a factor here it means we view them as similar tiers of talent and individual ranks among the tier are subjective.

So I wouldn't argue with anyone that had him anywhere from 2-4. 5 and 6 are also in play but I personally don't think we have enough info on Penix and JJM to put them ahead of Levis at the moment.

Drake Maye and him are similar talents but I'd probably go Maye as long as he gets top 5 draft capital (which seems likely) given that he's significantly younger with a longer leash to figure things out.

I'm a lot lower on Jayden Daniels prospects long term but his upside as a rusher might make it worth the gamble and I suspect he'll see a massive jump in value his first year as a starter before fizziling out as teams get tape on him -- much like other elite rushing QBs Mariota, RG3, Kaepernick etc

Penix and JJM have the traits but are tough evals for different reasons.

Penix is a much older prospect that is still prone to mental errors on the field and loses a lot of accuracy when pressured. I see a lot of mechanical issues that look fixable with some development but if he's forced into a situation where he needs to be "the guy" from day 1 as an already older prospect he may never refine them to the point that he's a flawed QB in the NFL that eventually fizzles out. Seems like a bright guy but my enthusiasm for him as a prospect will greatly depend on where he's drafted.

JJM flashes elite ball placement with good pocket mobility.. but he just wasn't asked to do much at Michigan. Draft capital is going to factor in a lot for my evaluation with him because if he gets it that means he's aced the X's and O's of the interview process and we can chalk up Michigan's underutilization of him to Harbaugh's conservative nature which we've previously seen limit WRs like Donovan Peoples-Jones, Nico Collins and possibly Roman Wilson at Michigan.

Bronco Billy
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Tue Feb 06, 2024 6:32 am

Sriracha wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 1:58 pm
Drake Maye and him are similar talents but I'd probably go Maye as long as he gets top 5 draft capital (which seems likely) given that he's significantly younger with a longer leash to figure things out.
Wow, are we on different pages here. You really think Maye and Levis are similar talents?

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Tue Feb 06, 2024 1:51 pm

Bronco Billy wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 6:32 am
Wow, are we on different pages here. You really think Maye and Levis are similar talents?
Based on what we know now, yeah I do. Both of them still fall into the box of QBs with the tools to be high lvl starters but haven't proven that they can put it all together in the NFL.

I'm more optimistic that Maye reaches his ceiling and the growth he shows in game is promising but I don't think he's a polished product by any means and I don't see a substantial difference in physical ability.

You may disagree with that statement based on what they showed on film (especially in Levis' injury marred final season) but Levis also played in the SEC with a team that was routinely overmatched so all of his warts were on full display. Not to make any comparisons with their talent level (as I'm significantly higher on both Maye and Levis) but it's similar to how I felt about Zach Wilson (#2 overall) vs Drew Lock (early 2nd rounder) who I felt were similar talents with one who's flaws were hidden by the talent around him and one who's flaws were on full display.
Last edited by Sriracha on Tue Feb 06, 2024 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bronco Billy
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Tue Feb 06, 2024 2:01 pm

Sriracha wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 1:51 pm
Based on what we know now, yeah I do. Both of them still fall into the box of QBs with the tools to be high lvl starters but haven't proven that they can put it all together in the NFL.

I'm more optimistic that Maye reaches his ceiling and the growth he shows in game is promsing but I don't think he's a polished product by any means and I don't see a substantial difference in physical ability.

You may disagree with that statement based on what they showed on film (especially in Levis' injury marred final season) but Levis also played in the SEC with a team that was routinely overmatched so all of his warts were on full display.
Take Georgia out of the equation and SEC Ds ain’t all that. They haven’t been for 5+ years but sure do live on their past reputations.

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Wed Feb 07, 2024 12:05 am

I don't know if this really means anything but figured it was interesting given what we've talked about in this thread:

https://www.reddit.com/r/nfl/comments/1 ... s_that_he/

Bronco Billy
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Wed Feb 07, 2024 6:02 am

Sriracha wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 12:05 am

I don't know if this really means anything but figured it was interesting given what we've talked about in this thread:

https://www.reddit.com/r/nfl/comments/1 ... s_that_he/
Not that that report has much credibility right now, but it wouldn’t be the first time the league made a serious mistake in letting a QB slide.