GB WRs

This is the spot for player-to-player comparisons.
Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

GB WRs

Postby Sriracha » Sun Feb 04, 2024 4:33 pm

Many people have penciled in Jayden Reed as the WR to own in this receiver room.. but I'm not so sure.

I still believe Watson has been highly productive when healthy and has truly elite upside. Health will remain a question mark until it isn't but his price has certainly fallen considerably and will be worth taking a stab on. During the 3 times he wasn't listed on the injury report throughout the season Watson was the highest graded WR via PFF in 2 of those weeks -- vs DET and KC in back to back upsets.

Dontayvion Wicks outproduced Jayden Reed from a YPRR and Film perspective (PFF Grade for instance) despite playing an historically more difficult position to play from as a boundary receiver vs Reed who primarily played from the slot; especially towards the 2nd half of the season where Wicks' 85 PFF grade since week 11 would've placed him 9th among all WRs while leading the NFL in open % vs single man coverage at 55.13% on the year.

Dark Horses Romeo Doubs who was the highest graded WR in the playoffs and Bo Melton who on a per snap basis has been the most impressive WR on the Packers all year; albeit on a small sample size (2.79 YPRR and 88 PFF Grade) further muddies the waters.

So, who are your favorites to emerge as the number 1 here and how confident are you in that coming to fruition?

TheTroll
Legend
Legend

Re: GB WRs

Postby TheTroll » Sun Feb 04, 2024 4:53 pm

This is a tough call for sure. Watson is the big name but Doubs and others have solidified their claim. I’m afraid this is the NFC version of KC.
Team 1
Dynasty 10 team, 22 roster + 6 Taxi, PPR
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 Flex, 1 TE, K, Def

QB: Love, Goff, Fields
RB: Bijan, Montgomery, Kamara, Ford, K Herbert, Zeke, Mattison
WR: Jefferson, Olave, London, Ridley, Sutton, Shaheed
TE: Kincaid, Kittle, Freiermuth
K: Tucker, Sanders
DEF: CLE

Taxi: Charbs, K Mitchell, Demercado, QJ, D Douglas, W Robinson, Hooker

Picks
2024: 1.03, 3.06, 3.09, 4.09
2025: 2, 3, 3, 3, 4, 5
2026: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Team 2
Dynasty 10 team, 22 man roster + 6 Taxi, PPR, SF and TEP
1QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 Flex, 1 S Flex

QB: Allen, Goff, Watson, Jones
RB: K Williams, B Robinson, Chubb, Ford, Mostert, A Gibson, Dillon, Pierce, Zeke
WR: Olave, T Hill, Addison, D Adams, C Watson, D Johnson, G Davis, OBJ
TE: Kincaid, Kmet, Goedert

Taxi: Willis, DTR, Mims, K Miller, Demercado, Vaughn

Picks
2024: 1.08, 2.02
2025: 1, 3, 4, 5
2026: 1, 2, 2, 3, 4, 5

Gator Sens
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Gator Sens » Sun Feb 04, 2024 5:42 pm

No telling at this point. Reed for me because Watson can't stay on the field despite his upside and potential.

moishetreats
Legend
Legend

Postby moishetreats » Sun Feb 04, 2024 8:37 pm

TheTroll wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 4:53 pm This is a tough call for sure. Watson is the big name but Doubs and others have solidified their claim. I’m afraid this is the NFC version of KC.
I think this is entirely the opposite of KC. KC (up until the end of the season when Rice came on) had a team full of pass-catchers who, aside from Kelce, were are all terrible at their jobs. GB, on the other hand, has a team full of pass-catchers who all seem to be great at their job.
10 tms 27 plrs PPR
Start: 2QB 2RB 3WR 2TE 2Flex / best ball

QB: Herbert, Love, Rodgers, G Smith, Stidham, T Taylor, Hall
RB: McCaffrey, Mixon, Pacheco, Montgomery, Z White, Allgeier, Dillon
WR: Hill, St. Brown, Kupp, Allen, Lockett, B Johnson
TE: Kelce, Kmet, Kraft, Okonkwo, Dulcich, Tremble

2024: 2.09, 3.07, 3.08, 3.10, 4.08
2025: 2nd (x2), 4th, 5th (x2)
2026: 1st, 2nd (x2), 3rd, 4th, 5th

12 tms 22 active plyrs. Salary Cap $300 PPR
Start: 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1SF 1Flex / best ball

QB: Lawrence (contract through 2026), Love ('24), Rodgers ('24), Stidham ('25), Lock ('25)
RB: Bijan Robinson ('25), Pollard ('27), Dillon ('24), Rodriguez ('24), Spiller ('24)
WR: G Wilson ('26), AJ Brown ('26), DJ Montgomery ('25)
TE: --
2024 Cap Spent: $186

IR: --
TAXI SQUAD (4 max): --

moishetreats
Legend
Legend

Postby moishetreats » Sun Feb 04, 2024 8:41 pm

To the question at hand: I honestly don't know. I could make the argument for any single one of them (and that goes for the TEs, too). Heck, add Melton to the mix. I think at this point, either GB will continue to scheme players open and rotate their pass-catchers, limiting each one's true value and upside. Or they're settle on a couple who rise to the top. It really could be anyone... So, if you have a favorite, just go for it! Or simply look to acquire whomever comes cheapest.

Sorry this isn't more helpful.
10 tms 27 plrs PPR

QB: Lawrence (contract through 2026), Love ('24), Rodgers ('24), Stidham ('25), Lock ('25)
RB: Bijan Robinson ('25), Pollard ('27), Dillon ('24), Rodriguez ('24), Spiller ('24)

moishetreats
Legend
Legend

Postby moishetreats » Sun Feb 04, 2024 8:48 pm

moishetreats wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 8:41 pm To the question at hand: I honestly don't know. I could make the argument for any single one of them (and that goes for the TEs, too). Heck, add Melton to the mix. I think at this point, either GB will continue to scheme players open and rotate their pass-catchers, limiting each one's true value and upside. Or they're settle on a couple who rise to the top. It really could be anyone... So, if you have a favorite, just go for it! Or simply look to acquire whomever comes cheapest.

Sorry this isn't more helpful.
I guess a bit of a follow-up. IMO, between Watson, Reed, Doubs, and Wicks:

Most likely to have a consistent role: Reed (they look to get him the ball).
Least likely to be the alpha: Doubs (he makes some great plays and can disappear).
Most likely to be the alpha: Watson (simply because he's done it).
Most likely to have a plus ROI: Wicks (he had a GREAT college profile; just a poor final season).

One final note: Melton, at his likely basement cost, might be the best value investment as a cheap, what-the-heck flyer. You get a piece of the offense, no real loss to cut him if he has no role, and he could grow into a meaningful player (outside chance, of course).
10 tms 27 plrs PPR

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Mon Feb 05, 2024 1:35 am

I don't think GB's future alpha WR is on the current roster. Several of their current guys are worth of holding and hoping, but all are flawed if we're talking about potential Alpha WR1s.
TEAM 1:
12 Team ppr w/20 keepers - start 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1FLX 6IDP 1DEF
QB: Tua, Lamar, Levis
RB: Etienne, Pacheco, JavonteWms, JFord, CEH
WR: Lamb, JChase, Waddle, Pickens, MWilliams, Q Johnston
TE: Goedert, Friermuth
DEF: Cowboys, Ravens
IDP:(LB) Bolton, Greenlaw; (DE/DL) ZCollins, BJHill; (S/CB) Pitre, Bates, Witherspoon
2023 & 2022 Champion: 2020 third place: 2019 Champion

TEAM 2:
14 Team 30roster SF/ppr/TEP - QB/RB/WR/TE/5FLX/SF
QB: Tua, CJStroud, Carr, AOC, MWhite, Lock
RB: Etienne, Stevenson, GusE, AJD, Singletary, CEH, Spiller
WR: Amon-Ra, Kirk, Dell, Thielen, Gallup, Ch Jones
TE: Andrews, Waller, Taysom, Smythe, WMallory, JOliver
2023 semifinals loser

meineymoe
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby meineymoe » Mon Feb 05, 2024 3:09 pm

Anteaters wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 1:35 am I don't think GB's future alpha WR is on the current roster. Several of their current guys are worth of holding and hoping, but all are flawed if we're talking about potential Alpha WR1s.
I have to disagree with this. These are 1st and 2nd year players who have all made progress in their tenures in Green Bay.

Watson has had a tough time staying on the field - kind of like Mike Williams in San Diego - but if he can pull off a full season, all of this would be forgotten in no time. Like with Keenan Allen.

Doubs has made the most strides from his rookie season, and has the potential to continue growing.

Reed has grabbed his role and will be a solid fantasy play moving forward.

Wicks has been so impressive. If he keeps up this pace next season, he will be hard to keep on the bench.

If these others didn't have such great showings, I'd be more excited about Bo Melton, who is actually a player I was hoping the Packers would take in the draft a few years ago. I hope he sticks around as injury insurance.

-oo-
Both teams 16 tm 1/3 ppr idp
QB, RB, 2WR, TE, 2Flex, K, 2DL, 2LB, 2DB, 2 Flex

Phoenix Park Suns
QB - Hurts, Darnold, Minshew, Zappe, O'Connell
RB - Ekeler, Conner, Edwards, Strong, McLaughlin, Brooks, Prince
WR - Adams, Tyreek Hill, Deebo Samuel, Zay Jones, M. Thomas, Downs
TE - Goedert, Bellinger
PK - Sanders
DL - Garrett, Paye, Madubuike, Judon
LB - Franklin, Mosley, Edmunds, J. Davis, Bernard, Jack, Mapu, Vander Esch
DB - Metellus, Branch
2024 Picks: 1.14, 2.05 , 2.14, 3.05, 3.14, 6.14

Serenity Valley Browncoats
QB - RWilson, O'Connell, Lance, Darnold, Hooker, Stidham
RB - Stevenson, RWhite, Ford, Herbert, Hunt, CEH, McIntosh, Brooks
WR - Adams, Collins, Rice, GDavis, NBrown, Dortch, Tillman
TE - Higbee, Allen, Graham
PK - Fairbairn
DL - Madubuike, Paye, Ebukam, Will Anderson
LB - Kendricks, Pratt, DWhite, Holcombe, Baker, Alexander, TAndersen, Jack
DB - Blackmon, Brisker, Stingley
- 2024 Picks: 1.13, 3.13
-oo-

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Mon Feb 05, 2024 3:55 pm

meineymoe wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 3:09 pm
Anteaters wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 1:35 am I don't think GB's future alpha WR is on the current roster. Several of their current guys are worth of holding and hoping, but all are flawed if we're talking about potential Alpha WR1s.
I have to disagree with this. These are 1st and 2nd year players who have all made progress in their tenures in Green Bay.

Watson has had a tough time staying on the field - kind of like Mike Williams in San Diego - but if he can pull off a full season, all of this would be forgotten in no time. Like with Keenan Allen.

Doubs has made the most strides from his rookie season, and has the potential to continue growing.

Wicks has been so impressive. If he keeps up this pace next season, he will be hard to keep on the bench.

If these others didn't have such great showings, I'd be more excited about Bo Melton, who is actually a player I was hoping the Packers would take in the draft a few years ago. I hope he sticks around as injury insurance.

-oo-
I tend to agree.

Watson, Reed and Wicks could all conceivably emerge as a true #1 down the line here.

If we're talking typical alpha ability (ability to beat press, man coverage and create explosive plays down field and through YAC) Wicks probably has the most well rounded game. His only real flaw is he's not great in contested situations but he's by far their best separator and has surprisingly good YAC.

Reed is the best combination of dynamism after the catch + ability to beat press and man coverage. He could conceivably develop in a similar vein to the way that Stefon Diggs did coming out Maryland but I personally see him ending up more like Randall Cobb as a high end switch army knife.

Watson just has so much untapped potential to his game coupled with truly game breaking speed when healthy. I think that's the major thing holding him back right now, though as he relies too heavily on his athleticism which diminishes when players inevitably get knicked up throughout the course of the season. He took some big steps forward this season in terms of route running even if he wasn't able to display it due to nagging injuries (picked up back, shoulder and knee injuries in addition to the hamstring injuries that sidelined him for most of the season). He's still my favorite to emerge here as the Alpha as I think its more likely than not he overcomes these hamstring injuries and to continue to develop despite being an older player given that he spent most of the typical developmental years in an offense that ran the ball 70% of the time vs FCS competition.

I have a lot of Reed in my leagues because he was one of my 3 targets this offseason along with Rashee Rice and Michael Wilson... I'll be looking to move him for Watson or Wicks++ in a few leagues as I believe people are understimating how much of his production advantages is simply due to being healther than Watson and getting the fast track to playing time because of 2nd round draft capital over Wicks.

Doubs and Melton are both darkhorses to emerge, as well.. though I'd be pretty surprised if they developed into true #1's. My favorite from here would be Bo Melton, though who showed some tough running I didn't expect from a guy with his speed and size. Reminiscent of Donald Driver

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Tue Feb 06, 2024 1:27 am

meineymoe wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 3:09 pm

-oo-
You just made my point. You didn't point out which guy you think is going to be an Alpha WR1. I agree they are all talented WRs and have the ability to be good real-world WRs for Green Bay. What I disagree with is that any are worthy of being a fantasy contender's WR1.

When's the last time Mike Williams was the WR1 on your championship fantasy team? I was the biggest MW stan when he was a rookie and sill respect the guy as a real-world WR. But he's not a fantasy WR anyone wants to depend on to carry their fantasy team. If your comp for Watson is Williams, that's sort of an admission that Watson is not going to be an Alpha WR, because we all know Keenan is the Alpha WR on the Chargers.

"potential to continue growing." ... "solid fantasy play" ... "hard to keep on the bench". None of that sounds like you believe any of these guys are fantasy WR1 material.

What your response demonstrated is just like that old NFL truth: If your team has three QBs vying for the job, your team doesn't have one good QB.

If you think GB has four WRs who can be the team's WR1, then GB hasn't found their Alpha WR yet. That comment doesn't mean Green Bay has a bad group of receivers. GB has a good group of receivers. They just don't have an Alpha WR.
who are your favorites to emerge as the number 1
Reminder: this was the question in the Original Post. The question wasn't "do we think GB has decent WRs?" The question was who can be the #1 ... which I take to be who can be the team's Alpha WR. I don't see that guy yet.
TEAM 1:
IDP:(LB) Bolton, Greenlaw; (DE/DL) ZCollins, BJHill; (S/CB) Pitre, Bates, Witherspoon

TEAM 2:
2023 semifinals loser

meineymoe
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby meineymoe » Tue Feb 06, 2024 5:12 pm

Well, I also compared Watson to Allen in the same paragraph. I think Watson is most likely to fill your alpha role. However, I think all of them are worth a roll of the dice since any of them could emerge.

So, yes, the #1 wr is on the roster. Or 1A and 1B, and possibly 1C. We might just have to wait a little longer to see which one it is. So just pick your favorite.

-oo-

Phoenix Park Suns
TE - Goedert, Bellinger
PK - Sanders
DB - Metellus, Branch

PK - Fairbairn
-oo-

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Wed Feb 07, 2024 3:38 am

meineymoe wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 5:12 pmHowever, I think all of them are worth a roll of the dice
On that we agree. With varying degrees of expectations, the GB receiving corps has a few intriguing fantasy holds.
TEAM 1:

TEAM 2:
2023 semifinals loser

TheTroll
Legend
Legend

Postby TheTroll » Wed Feb 07, 2024 6:26 pm

Anteaters wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 3:38 am
meineymoe wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 5:12 pmHowever, I think all of them are worth a roll of the dice
On that we agree. With varying degrees of expectations, the GB receiving corps has a few intriguing fantasy holds.
For sure. They are all worthy roster WRs.
Team 1
Dynasty 10 team, 22 roster + 6 Taxi, PPR
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 Flex, 1 TE, K, Def

QB: Love, Goff, Fields
RB: Bijan, Montgomery, Kamara, Ford, K Herbert, Zeke, Mattison
WR: Jefferson, Olave, London, Ridley, Sutton, Shaheed
TE: Kincaid, Kittle, Freiermuth
K: Tucker, Sanders
DEF: CLE

Taxi: Charbs, K Mitchell, Demercado, QJ, D Douglas, W Robinson, Hooker

Picks
2024: 1.03, 3.06, 3.09, 4.09
2025: 2, 3, 3, 3, 4, 5
2026: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Team 2
Dynasty 10 team, 22 man roster + 6 Taxi, PPR, SF and TEP
1QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 Flex, 1 S Flex

QB: Allen, Goff, Watson, Jones
RB: K Williams, B Robinson, Chubb, Ford, Mostert, A Gibson, Dillon, Pierce, Zeke
WR: Olave, T Hill, Addison, D Adams, C Watson, D Johnson, G Davis, OBJ
TE: Kincaid, Kmet, Goedert

Taxi: Willis, DTR, Mims, K Miller, Demercado, Vaughn

Picks
2024: 1.08, 2.02
2025: 1, 3, 4, 5
2026: 1, 2, 2, 3, 4, 5

meineymoe
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby meineymoe » Sat Feb 10, 2024 6:16 am

I remember Donald Driver, Greg Jennings, Jordy Nelson, James Jones, and TE Jermichael Finley being the corps when the Packers last won a Super Bowl. This new group could surely be comparable. For fantasy purposes, they were probably all decent starts at one time or another.

Good luck!
-oo-

Phoenix Park Suns
TE - Goedert, Bellinger
PK - Sanders
DB - Metellus, Branch

PK - Fairbairn
-oo-

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Sat Feb 10, 2024 3:49 pm

meineymoe wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 6:16 am I remember Donald Driver, Greg Jennings, Jordy Nelson, James Jones, and TE Jermichael Finley being the corps when the Packers last won a Super Bowl. This new group could surely be comparable. For fantasy purposes, they were probably all decent starts at one time or another.

Good luck!
-oo-
Maybe, but I don't see anyone in the current group that can be as valuable as Jordy was for a couple of seasons. He was a straight up beast. Overall WR2 in 2016, WR3 in 2014, WR13 in 2013. I don't think any current Green Bay WR can match that peak performance.
TEAM 1:

TEAM 2:
2023 semifinals loser