Super Bowl Thread

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
frerichs5
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Re: Super Bowl Thread

Postby frerichs5 » Mon Feb 12, 2024 6:42 am

Shcritters wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 8:28 pm
Bronco Billy wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 8:21 pm Why would you elect to take the football in OT? That doesn’t make sense to me. You know you’re guaranteed to get the ball in OT no matter what the other team does.
Because if you kick a field goal, they kick a field goal… you get the ball again. It is timed… it isn’t like college.
This is my thought as well. Gives you the ball on the possible sudden death possession. I do wonder if team 1 scores a td, how often would team 2 just go for a 2 point conversion though if they also score a td. I feel like it would happen quite a bit if these were regular season rules. Super Bowl, I’m really not sure.

That, and as another poster said, defense had been out there a while too.

Shcritters
MVP
MVP

Postby Shcritters » Mon Feb 12, 2024 6:46 am

mild wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 3:08 am
FantasyFreak wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 12:48 am
wickerkat1212 wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 10:31 pm Hell of a game.
One of the most boring SB's in memory. The fact it went to OT kind of saved it a bit, but man, it was a tough watch. I would have tuned out at half time if it was a regular season game.

Starting to doubt Shanny can win the big one.
Really not sure which game you just watched. Maybe you just don't appreciate defensive ball. (Or Usher)

I'm a neutral fan and I thought it was a really incredible defensive battle on both sides, and one of the most even Superbowls I've seen in a while.

And personally I think it's pretty cool that we're watching another Michael Jordan like talent, who is so singularly good that he is relegating a bunch of other incredible players and teams into minor characters. It's no shame to be a Dolphins, Ravens, Bills, 49ers... hell, Eagles... any fan of any other team that had your Superbowl dreams crushed by this guy. They just happen to be existing during the Mahomes dynasty. It's rough luck.

You don't have to like it, but you've gotta respect it.

It took until Year 15 for Brady to win his 4th Superbowl.

Who knows. Maybe this Mahomes guy might just be on track.
I'm with mild on this one - I thought it was a great game. There were at least 3-4 huge defensive plays from the Chiefs that stopped the 49ers from running away with the game. Had they not been made the Chiefs lose the game.

The McDuffy blitz on 3rd, Chris Jones pressuring Purdy and not allowing him to step into the throw making him overshoot Deebo... a couple others... the 49ers didn't LOSE this game, the Chiefs WON this game.

Aside from the punt that bounced off of the winger's foot it was not like there were big mistakes on either side (yes, Pacheco and CMC fumble, but those semi-cancelled each other out). It wasn't as though there were huge drops that significantly impacted the game, or major missed throws by Purdy that swung things. It was pretty clean, and just plain good D.

I will say... bummer that Greenlaw tore his Achilles. THAT was game changing.
Last edited by Shcritters on Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gopher Two
PPR SF, WR & TE Premium (WR 1.2 PPR , TE 1.5 PPR), 10 total starters, 1 QB, 1SF, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 3 Flex
QB: Mahomes, Prescott, Mayfield
RB: Hall, Pacheco, Jacobs, Connor, Chubb, Mattison
WR: Tyreek, AJ Brown, Flowers, CSutton, JJeudy, Slayton, Iosivas
TE: McBride, DSchultz, Musgrave, Kraft, MGesicki
2024: 1.02, 2.02
2022 and 2023 League Champ

SafeLeague #1 (12 team, SF, 2.0 PPR TE Prem). 10 total starters 1 QB, 1SF (QB/TE/RB/WR), 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 3 Flex
QB: Purdy, Levis, DTR
RB: Pacheco + scrubs
WR: Downs, MMims, EMoore, Jeudy, MWilson + scrubs
TE: Hock, Kincaid, Pitts, Mayer + scrubs
2024: 1.01, 1.05, 1.11, 2.01, 2.02, 2.06,
2025: 2 1sts, 2 2nds

SafeLeague #2
QB: Purdy, Richardson, Hooker, Willis
RB: literal ZERO RB (for now)
WR: Mingo, MMims, Toney, Skyy, Iosivas
TE: LaPorta, Kincaid, McBride, Mayer, Musgrave, Schoonmaker (and a bunch more 2nd stringers)
2024: 1.01, 1.05, 1.06, 1.08, 1.09, 1.10, 2.01, 2.05, 2.06
2025: 1 1st, 1 2nd

Tvols
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Tvols » Mon Feb 12, 2024 7:11 am

Have to hand to Mahomes winning on that stage with that cast of WRs just remarkable. He is definitely going be on Bradys heels as the GOAT.
16 teamer
QB T Law, R Wilson
rb- Mixon,pollard, J Hill, conner,
WR-Chase,Lamb,T Hill, R Bateman, C sutton, boyd
Te Kelce, Waller, Fant,Evertt,
1qb,2-3rb,3-5wr,1-2 TE
Full IDP

Team 2 recent rod 16 team SF/TEP(2pt PPR) 1-2 QB, 2-3 RB, 3-5 wrs and 1-2 TE full IDP.
QB A rod, M willis and H Hooker
rb not squat T Bigsby, Chris R, Z evans. J kelly, C patterson, and J mcluaghlin.
WRs chase, J Addison, T McLaurin, C ridgley , A Losivas, M hollins
TE Kelce, D Belligner, T Conklin

81-
Captain
Captain

Postby 81- » Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:48 am

I hear Jordan Harvey wrote a song about Purdy.

Along for the ride.
12 Team, 1QB, 3WR, 2RB, 1TE, 1Flex, D, K, 10 Bench
1PPR, 0.5 point per carry.
Burrow, Richardson
AJ Brown, DJMoore, G Wilson, T Higgens, Sutton, Tillman, Melton
King Henry, Bijan, Pacheco, Mixon, Ford, JK
Hockenson, Musgrave
Random Kicker
Niners

Picks in 2024 - #15, #22, #23, #27

remedy29
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby remedy29 » Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:58 am

frerichs5 wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 6:42 am
Shcritters wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 8:28 pm
Bronco Billy wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 8:21 pm Why would you elect to take the football in OT? That doesn’t make sense to me. You know you’re guaranteed to get the ball in OT no matter what the other team does.
Because if you kick a field goal, they kick a field goal… you get the ball again. It is timed… it isn’t like college.
This is my thought as well. Gives you the ball on the possible sudden death possession. I do wonder if team 1 scores a td, how often would team 2 just go for a 2 point conversion though if they also score a td. I feel like it would happen quite a bit if these were regular season rules. Super Bowl, I’m really not sure.

If the goal is to coach your way to a sudden death situation, why did the NFL have to change the OT rules?

I always felt the NFL should have just let the receiver of the ball in OT be known during the game. Either Home team, opening coin flip or whatever. It would give each team 60 minutes to try to win in regulation knowing who is getting the ball 1st in OT.

Receiving the ball second in OT gives the team an advantage on that 1st possession. You know what the other team did. And it gives the team receiving 2nd four downs to move the ball if needed. Plus, the 2nd team is playing a lot more loosely once they get into FG range if thats all they "have" to do to continue the game.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:06 am

81- wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:48 am I hear Jordan Harvey wrote a song about Purdy.

Along for the ride.
He played well enough for them to win and there weren't really any egregious errors on his part.

This game came down to two weird blunders (missed XP, punt that bounces off the heel of a 49ers STer) and Mahomes being great when it mattered.

murphysxm
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby murphysxm » Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:20 am

Cameron Giles wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:06 am
81- wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:48 am I hear Jordan Harvey wrote a song about Purdy.

Along for the ride.
He played well enough for them to win and there weren't really any egregious errors on his part.

This game came down to two weird blunders (missed XP, punt that bounces off the heel of a 49ers STer) and Mahomes being great when it mattered.
A agree with this description.
I am just a guy sharing some thoughts

cazzie33
All Pro
All Pro

Postby cazzie33 » Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:42 am

My Super Bowl takeaway...

The best team in football is...

DETROIT LIONS !!!
Beat KC in KC under the bright lights of the OPENING GAME of the season celebrating the Chiefs banner raising

Outplayed and should've won on the road AGAIN (should've been @ Ford Field except for the whole Dallas / refs debacle) Took several fluke plays (okay only a few) that SanFran had nothing to do with it going in their favor.

But credit to KC coaching staff in this game calling blitzes and creating space for Kelce & then Mecole to make big plays in the passing game. Using Mahomes a a runner which SF had no answer for. Mahomes wasn't great until the end but that was enough for the win.

San Francisco like the Lions couldn't play from the lead in the 2nd half . They left points off the board in the first half. And it was a missed extra point that made it only a FG to send it to OT. They don't have the killer instinct for putting their opponent away. Losing Greenlaw was a turning point too.

Very good defense early on but wilted in the end. Chiefs defense came up big on a couple of 3rd downs to get ball back or make SF kick FGs.

Purdy was just avg and inexperienced in his not seeing the blitz coming . Not sure of his leeway to audible out the play but it was costly on 2-3 big moments .

Not the greatest played Super Bowl but plenty of tense moments ending in an OVERTIME thriller.

Talking about a Kansas City Dynasty I came away from this post season seeing them as very beatable. They pulled out their games so you have to credit them but they aren't like the Patriots or San Fran and others Dynasty that they seem heads & tails above the others.

Bluntly I don't expect to see a 3-peat although they will be amongst the favorites and rightly so.

wickerkat1212
Legend
Legend

Postby wickerkat1212 » Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:56 am

One of the most boring SB's in memory. The fact it went to OT kind of saved it a bit, but man, it was a tough watch. I would have tuned out at half time if it was a regular season game.

Boring? Damn. I mean, I thought it would be a shootout, and we didn't get that. Mahomes down 7 at the half, barely getting on the board. Super tense. Can he turn it around? Fumbles, interceptions, and OT? JFC, what do you want! I mean sure, 40-36 would have been more exciting, but this was a great game. It reminded me of watching Bulls games back in the day. The magic, the games Jordan pulled out at the end, his dominance—you always felt you had a chance, even with only a few seconds on the clock. That OT TD was with what...three seconds on the clock? Hell of a game.
D3:
QB—Allen, Pickett RB—Kamara, Jacobs, ZWhite, Edwards, Ford, Warren WR—Lamb, Olave, DJM, Puka, Tillman, Marshall, Jefferson, Robinson, Tucker TE—Ferguson, Schoon, Likely, Smith, Washington, Kraft PK—Prater DEF—BAL

D4:
QB—TLaw, JimmyG, Tannehill, AOC, Hall RB—Bijan, Kamara, Conner, Gainwell, Gainwell, Foreman, ZMoss, Chandler, McLaughlin, Murray WR—Jefferson, Hill, Adams, Allen, Tillman, Woods TE—Kelce, Kmet, Conklin PK—Butker DEF—PIT

Superflex 1:
QB—Mahomes, Rodgers, Mayfield RB—Bijan, Kamara, Allgeier, Singletary, Mostert, BRob, Warren, Rodriguez, Spiller WR—Chase, DJM, Devonta, MBrown, Myers, Reynold, Jones TE—Kmet, Likely, Kraft, Conklin, Hurst, Hudson PK—Elliott DEF—PHI

Superflex 2:
QB: Goff, Cousins, Wentz, White; RB: Bijan, BRob, ZWhite, Allgeier, McLaughlin WR: DJM, Higgins, JSN, Downs, RMoore, Atwell, SMoore, PCampbell, DPJ, ATP, Hutchinson, Iosivas, Devante, CJones TE: Ferguson, Kraft, Trautman, Tremble

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:00 am

remedy29 wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:58 am
frerichs5 wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 6:42 am This is my thought as well. Gives you the ball on the possible sudden death possession. I do wonder if team 1 scores a td, how often would team 2 just go for a 2 point conversion though if they also score a td. I feel like it would happen quite a bit if these were regular season rules. Super Bowl, I’m really not sure.

If the goal is to coach your way to a sudden death situation, why did the NFL have to change the OT rules?
Not to keep stirring this pot, but...

Sure sounds like SF hadn't really considered, discussed, or prepped for the OT rules. Multiple players are on record post game as not having known the differences.

And surprise surprise: KC had talked about it for 2 whole weeks.

"Do you want the ball, or do you want the information" is a good framing for this.

No doubt the Chiefs were aided in their 4th down decision making in a way Shanny was not when he elected to take the OT FG. (Dan Campbell is smiling somewhere)

cazzie33
All Pro
All Pro

Postby cazzie33 » Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:02 am

wickerkat1212 wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:56 am

Boring? Damn. I mean, I thought it would be a shootout, and we didn't get that. Mahomes down 7 at the half, barely getting on the board. Super tense. Can he turn it around? Fumbles, interceptions, and OT? JFC, what do you want! I mean sure, 40-36 would have been more exciting, but this was a great game. It reminded me of watching Bulls games back in the day. The magic, the games Jordan pulled out at the end, his dominance—you always felt you had a chance, even with only a few seconds on the clock. That OT TD was with what...three seconds on the clock? Hell of a game.
Correct me if I’m wrong but they weren’t going to end the game if they didn’t score when there were 3 seconds. I was under the impression that they would get to finish their possession regardless

wickerkat1212
Legend
Legend

Postby wickerkat1212 » Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:07 am

cazzie33 wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:02 am

Correct me if I’m wrong but they weren’t going to end the game if they didn’t score when there were 3 seconds. I was under the impression that they would get to finish their possession regardless
If they ran out of time they would lose. They'd have to kick the FG to tie, and send it into a second OT. I think they still had time outs, but it was getting VERY close to running out.
D3:
QB—Allen, Pickett RB—Kamara, Jacobs, ZWhite, Edwards, Ford, Warren WR—Lamb, Olave, DJM, Puka, Tillman, Marshall, Jefferson, Robinson, Tucker TE—Ferguson, Schoon, Likely, Smith, Washington, Kraft PK—Prater DEF—BAL

D4:
QB—TLaw, JimmyG, Tannehill, AOC, Hall RB—Bijan, Kamara, Conner, Gainwell, Gainwell, Foreman, ZMoss, Chandler, McLaughlin, Murray WR—Jefferson, Hill, Adams, Allen, Tillman, Woods TE—Kelce, Kmet, Conklin PK—Butker DEF—PIT

Superflex 1:
QB—Mahomes, Rodgers, Mayfield RB—Bijan, Kamara, Allgeier, Singletary, Mostert, BRob, Warren, Rodriguez, Spiller WR—Chase, DJM, Devonta, MBrown, Myers, Reynold, Jones TE—Kmet, Likely, Kraft, Conklin, Hurst, Hudson PK—Elliott DEF—PHI

Superflex 2:
QB: Goff, Cousins, Wentz, White; RB: Bijan, BRob, ZWhite, Allgeier, McLaughlin WR: DJM, Higgins, JSN, Downs, RMoore, Atwell, SMoore, PCampbell, DPJ, ATP, Hutchinson, Iosivas, Devante, CJones TE: Ferguson, Kraft, Trautman, Tremble

Ruggenater
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Ruggenater » Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:17 am

wickerkat1212 wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:07 am

If they ran out of time they would lose. They'd have to kick the FG to tie, and send it into a second OT. I think they still had time outs, but it was getting VERY close to running out.
Not accurate. It would just go to the second “quarter”/period of OT. They had no time pressure.
12 Team Superflex - PPR, 0.25 PPC - QB/2RB/3WR/TE/Flex/Superflex
QB: L Jackson, Tagovailoa, Rodgers, Pickett, Tannehill
RB: Swift, Pacheco, Sanders, Hubbard, Spears, Dillon, Herbert, McLaughlin, Chandler, Dowdle
WR: DeVonta, Waddle, Aiyuk, Nacua, McLaurin, Hopkins, M Williams, Mingo, Wan’Dale, Hyatt
TE: Kelce, Okonkwo, Schoonmaker

wickerkat1212
Legend
Legend

Postby wickerkat1212 » Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:21 am

Ruggenater wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:17 am
wickerkat1212 wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:07 am

Not accurate. It would just go to the second “quarter”/period of OT. They had no time pressure.
No, I think I'm right:

https://twitter.com/NFLFootballOps/stat ... 88/photo/2

D3:

D4:

Superflex 1:

Superflex 2:

wickerkat1212
Legend
Legend

Postby wickerkat1212 » Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:23 am

If there is no time limit, and they could just keep going (I forget what down it was), then why even give us a quarter, just make it open play? I don't get it. I mean, they'd eventually run out of downs.
D3:

D4:

Superflex 1:

Superflex 2: