Your Safest Bet Remains a 1st Round TE

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
wickerkat1212
Legend
Legend

Re: Your Safest Bet Remains a 1st Round TE

Postby wickerkat1212 » Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:17 pm

Two Cents wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:07 pm Why do we keep disrespecting Cole Kmet? The last 3 years he has been averaging about 60-600 and 4.....
As a Bears fan I guess because of his inconsistent play, and the inconsistent play of Fields. He was TE7 in my leagues this year (1 PPPR). TE12 last year. TE21 the year before. On the rise, yeah?
D3:
QB—Allen, Pickett RB—Kamara, Jacobs, ZWhite, Edwards, Ford, Warren WR—Lamb, Olave, DJM, Puka, Tillman, Marshall, Jefferson, Robinson, Tucker TE—Ferguson, Schoon, Likely, Smith, Washington, Kraft PK—Prater DEF—BAL

D4:
QB—TLaw, JimmyG, Tannehill, AOC, Hall RB—Bijan, Kamara, Conner, Gainwell, Gainwell, Foreman, ZMoss, Chandler, McLaughlin, Murray WR—Jefferson, Hill, Adams, Allen, Tillman, Woods TE—Kelce, Kmet, Conklin PK—Butker DEF—PIT

Superflex 1:
QB—Mahomes, Rodgers, Mayfield RB—Bijan, Kamara, Allgeier, Singletary, Mostert, BRob, Warren, Rodriguez, Spiller WR—Chase, DJM, Devonta, MBrown, Myers, Reynold, Jones TE—Kmet, Likely, Kraft, Conklin, Hurst, Hudson PK—Elliott DEF—PHI

Superflex 2:
QB: Goff, Cousins, Wentz, White; RB: Bijan, BRob, ZWhite, Allgeier, McLaughlin WR: DJM, Higgins, JSN, Downs, RMoore, Atwell, SMoore, PCampbell, DPJ, ATP, Hutchinson, Iosivas, Devante, CJones TE: Ferguson, Kraft, Trautman, Tremble

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Fri Jan 12, 2024 3:23 am

Two Cents wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:07 pm Why do we keep disrespecting Cole Kmet? The last 3 years he has been averaging about 60-600 and 4.....
He's not a 1st rounder so he's not "safe"

Kidding of course, TE8 in PPR the last 2 years. I think he's a low end TE1. He's ranked as such most places as well. I think he's good, but not great. I want the great TE, unless Kmet is still cheap to acquire, which I doubt.

In 2023, he averaged 10.7 ppg (8th). 7 other TE were <2 ppg lower than Kmet this year.
In 2022, he averaged 8.7 ppg (14th). 9 other TE were within 2 ppg. TE23 had 6.9 ppg.

The value just isn't there with these fringe TE1 if you can just go grab any other TE that scores similarly

Pac_Eddy
Legend
Legend

Postby Pac_Eddy » Fri Jan 12, 2024 5:03 am

Like a LOT of TEs, it's the inconsistency. He'll have a nice game, then follow it with a zero, a couple games under five points, you've had him on your bench for a couple weeks now, then he has a nice game on your bench. Repeat. At the end of the year he's TE8 but almost all of his points were scored when you didn't start him.
Not all that counts can be counted. Not all that can be counted counts.

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Fri Jan 12, 2024 5:22 am

Pac_Eddy wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 5:03 am
Like a LOT of TEs, it's the inconsistency. He'll have a nice game, then follow it with a zero, a couple games under five points, you've had him on your bench for a couple weeks now, then he has a nice game on your bench. Repeat. At the end of the year he's TE8 but almost all of his points were scored when you didn't start him.
The Gabe Davis of TE

killer_of_giants
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby killer_of_giants » Fri Jan 12, 2024 5:27 am

i've read (diagonally for the last few pages) the thread.
the main issue i have, based on what i want from a TE, is that "top 12" means bleep-all, when TE8 and TE24 are within a couple of points per game. this has probably been said already.

since i can't be arsed to do a proper statistical model, i've just gone through the TE standings (ppr, ppg) for the past 10 years, and isolated those TEs that scored at least 33% more than the TE12. the number is arbitrary, but it works empirically and it's a reasonable value, because i say so. the TEs that didn't make the cut could have been basically "easily replaced" (at least for that season) by random bums who cost a fraction of your dallas goedert.
TE12 has scored around 10 points per game in that span (i didn't expect to be that close to 10 for all those season).

these are the results (year; player, draft round):

kelce 3rd
hock 1st
laporta 2nd
engram 1st
andrews 5th

kelce 3rd
kittle 5th
hock 1st
andrews 3rd

andrews 3rd
kelce 3rd
gronk 2nd
kittle 5th

kelce 3rd
waller 6th
kittle 5th

kelce 3rd
kittle 5th
hooper 3rd
ertz 2nd
waller 6th
andrews 3rd

kelce 3rd
ertz 2nd
kittle 5th
ebron 1st

gronk 2nd
kelce 3rd
ertz 2nd

---
(top 12 all between 11.1 and 14.1 ppg)

reed 3rd
gronk 2nd
walker 6th
barnidge 5th
eifert 1st

gronk 2nd
graham 3rd
gates UDFA
bennett 2nd
olsen 1st

graham 3rd
gronk 2nd
thomas 4th

this conclusively shows that early 2nd round (with gronk, ertz, bennett and laporta) are the prospects you should absolutely trade up to draft in the top half of the first round.

Pac_Eddy
Legend
Legend

Postby Pac_Eddy » Fri Jan 12, 2024 6:38 am

killer_of_giants wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 5:27 am i've read (diagonally for the last few pages) the thread.
the main issue i have, based on what i want from a TE, is that "top 12" means bleep, when TE8 and TE24 are within a couple of points per game. this has probably been said already.

since i can't be arsed to do a proper statistical model, i've just gone through the TE standings (ppr, ppg) for the past 10 years, and isolated those TEs that scored at least 33% more than the TE12. the number is arbitrary, but it works empirically and it's a reasonable value, because i say so. the TEs that didn't make the cut could have been basically "easily replaced" (at least for that season) by random bums who cost a fraction of your dallas goedert.
I think you're getting pretty close to the heart of the issue. A "hit" at TE has to have meaning, and being a top 12 TE in one season is a very low bar. So 33% better than the TE12 is as good a measure as I've seen.

Is there a way to put a value on consistent scoring? Some way to separate a guy who blows up one week then has four terrible weeks, versus the guy who has four out of five startable weeks?
Not all that counts can be counted. Not all that can be counted counts.

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Fri Jan 12, 2024 7:03 am

I also like the 33% over TE12 mark. I was going to draw an arbitrary line of 150 or 175 PPR points and go through TE hit rates and sort by draft capital. What KoG did is probably going to yield the same results

Bronco Billy
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Fri Jan 12, 2024 8:53 am

Does Waller qualify? He was drafted as s WR and then moved to TE a bit later.

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:13 am

Bronco Billy wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 8:53 am Does Waller qualify? He was drafted as s WR and then moved to TE a bit later.
Either way, he has to be the outliers of all outliers

6th round WR. Converted to TE in 2nd season. Then missed yr 3/4 to substance abuse. Year 5 and 6 he blows up, but then falls off with injuries.

There was another name or 2 that converted to TE after being drafted but can't recall who atm. Jordan Matthews, but he was never really relevant after his 1st few years at WR

Mike11
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Mike11 » Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:40 am

wickerkat1212 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:17 am
Jigga94 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 8:34 am
Mike11 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 8:13 am Bowers will be the TE __ overall as a rookie and I would only rather have the following TE’s over him in dynasty. Fill in the blanks.
Everyone's favorite crowdsource rankings have TE as

Laporta
McBride/Kincaid/Hock/Andrews
Pitts
Njoku/Kelce/Kittle/Engram/etc

Personally, I'd put him with Pitts to start, but we know he's going to be ranked somewhere between Laporta and Andrews/Hock
This. It's going to come down to situation. We all see what ATL did to Pitts (and Bijan).
When it’s all said and done I bet people who don’t have one of Laporta, McBride, Kincaid, Hock will start thinking about it.
League Established in 2014

2015 League Champion
2017 League Champion
2018 League Champion
2022 League Champion

10 Team 20 Keeper League Non ppr

Starters in Bold

QB Justin Herbert, Lamar Jackson Aaron Rodgers, Russel Wilson
RB Chubb, JT Javonte Williams, De’Von Achane
Flex Ekeler, Etienne
WR AJB, Stefon Diggs, Jaylen Waddle Mike Williams, Treylon Burks, Amari Rodgers, Nico Collins, Diontae Johnson, Mingo, Burks, Tillman, Batemen
TE TJ Hockenson Higbee Hurst

Bronco Billy
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Fri Jan 12, 2024 11:27 am

Jigga94 wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:13 am
Bronco Billy wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 8:53 am Does Waller qualify? He was drafted as s WR and then moved to TE a bit later.
Either way, he has to be the outliers of all outliers

6th round WR. Converted to TE in 2nd season. Then missed yr 3/4 to substance abuse. Year 5 and 6 he blows up, but then falls off with injuries.

There was another name or 2 that converted to TE after being drafted but can't recall who atm. Jordan Matthews, but he was never really relevant after his 1st few years at WR
Shannon Sharpe and Robert Tonyan. Logan Thomas went from QB to TE.

killer_of_giants
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby killer_of_giants » Fri Jan 12, 2024 12:23 pm

Pac_Eddy wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 6:38 am Is there a way to put a value on consistent scoring? Some way to separate a guy who blows up one week then has four terrible weeks, versus the guy who has four out of five startable weeks?
with the amount of effort i intend to put in this "research", i doubt it! :lol:

but i think it's both tricky, and probably not too useful.
tricky because first of all you have to define "consistency", then you might want to look at weekly scores variance, but it's probably higher for the studs because of the boom games. then you have to consider other factors like game flow and conditions which may give any TE a goose egg from time to time, so even a count of games below a certain threshold is iffy, and not too predictive anyway.
the only thing i *think* could give some indications is some form of avg points minus some function of variance being above a certain threshold. but that is likely to only return you the studs, and we already know who they are, which leads to the "not too useful" comment i was touching earlier: do you really care all that much if a TE in the TE7-TE24 is more steady or boom or bust week to week? i guess it depends on the league.
let's imagine you have two TEs that average 9 ppg and assume the extreme case where one always scores 9 points and the other only 4 or 14. would that change a lot on your evaluation, considering that:
- this is an extreme case and even the steady 'arry will have some bad games
- you have to consider this point differential against the position, so either your opponent has a stud and already has an edge (so the boom or bust TE might be a better option) or is in pretty much the same situation as you.

so for me it's either pay big for a stud or go cheap for a TE2 you think has some upside. the back-end TE1s (like kmet) cost more than what they score and rarely are a good investment, boom or bust or not.