Lets Pretend - Atlanta Falcons 2024

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Bronco Billy
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Lets Pretend - Atlanta Falcons 2024

Postby Bronco Billy » Tue Dec 19, 2023 11:04 am

Coming into the end of the 2023 season, IMO it’s interesting to try to get in front of potential moves that could make a significant impact on FF.

One of those situations that seems ripe for speculation is ATL. They have some significant star power in their skill positions, but appear to have been seriously grounded by their HC and QB.

So, as a theoretical exercise, suppose Arthur Smith is fired for not making the playoffs and is replaced by someone like DET OC Ben Johnson, and Ridder is demoted to backup QB and ATL springs for Kirk Cousins or if they want to go more bargain shopping to opt for Jameis Winston.

Given the other pieces in place, if those moves were made where would you put the Falcons’ O and the players’ values for the 2024 season?

YouMightDieTryin
MVP
MVP

Re: Lets Pretend - Atlanta Falcons 2024

Postby YouMightDieTryin » Tue Dec 19, 2023 11:06 am

Don't get our hopes up BB.

murphysxm
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby murphysxm » Tue Dec 19, 2023 11:08 am

Bronco Billy wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 11:04 am Coming into the end of the 2023 season, IMO it’s interesting to try to get in front of potential moves that could make a significant impact on FF.

One of those situations that seems ripe for speculation is ATL. They have some significant star power in their skill positions, but appear to have been seriously grounded by their HC and QB.

So, as a theoretical exercise, suppose Arthur Smith is fired for not making the playoffs and is replaced by someone like DET OC Ben Johnson, and Ridder is demoted to backup QB and ATL springs for Kirk Cousins or if they want to go more bargain shopping to opt for Jameis Winston.

Given the other pieces in place, if those moves were made where would you put the Falcons’ O and the players’ values for the 2024 season?
I agree that Ridder will not be under center next year, but everything I hear says Arthur will be back next season. I think he is more a block to fantasy success in Atlanta than Ridder. My assumption is I will be bullish and slow to adapt to things changing in Atlanta and will miss out on year 1 of any positive changes with their roster. I am ok with that
I am just a guy sharing some thoughts

nathanq42
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby nathanq42 » Tue Dec 19, 2023 11:30 am

Currently ATL is right around pick 10 or so (could make the playoffs too soooo....) so youre looking at Jayden Daniels (with maybe a trade up to secure him) or a reach on Penix (or a gamble trading down). ALT would have to have a FA QB already signed if they dont go QB in round 1 unless they think they can make the pile of garbage that is Ridder look better by putting yet another piece of gold foil on top of it by going WR or Brock Bowers.

You have to think that Daniels or Penix are better than Ridder at this point, and if any spot is going to be ready to make a rookie QB look good it is ATL with 3 high-end weapons for them to throw/hand off to.

So the QB situation has to be better than it has been this year, unless ATL proves everyone right as one of the dumbest franchises in the league.

Then you have the problem of Arthur Smith.. And that cannot be helped, even if they have a major collapse to close out the season I would imagine he is going to be kept around because of two things.

1) He had the Falcons in the hunt for a playoff spot
2) He had a mid QB with great weapons when he was OC in TEN, and had that team in a decent way. If ATL has stuck with him this far, they might as well see what he can do with someone better than Ridder

I don't know much about the coaching landscape with coming offseason but there could be some interest from other coaches looking for a job given that ATL has a solid D, and great offensive weapons that are being majorly under-utilized
12 Team 1 ppr .1 points per carry
Garbage
QB Jalen Hurts
RB A-train, D'Onta Foreman,Jahmyr Gibbs, JK Dobbins, Rashaad Penny, AJ Dillon, Jerrick McKinnon, Joshua Kelley, TDP, Chase Edmonds, JRob, Zamir White
WR CeeDee Lamb, Justin Jefferson, DJ Moore, Hollywood Brown, Brandin Cooks, Odell Beckham Junior, Marvin Jones, Braxton Berrios, Richie James
TE Dalton Kincaid, Foster Moreau
+2 Flex
1.02, 1.06

JoeJoe88
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby JoeJoe88 » Tue Dec 19, 2023 11:31 am

murphysxm wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 11:08 am
Bronco Billy wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 11:04 am Coming into the end of the 2023 season, IMO it’s interesting to try to get in front of potential moves that could make a significant impact on FF.

I agree that Ridder will not be under center next year, but everything I hear says Arthur will be back next season. I think he is more a block to fantasy success in Atlanta than Ridder. My assumption is I will be bullish and slow to adapt to things changing in Atlanta and will miss out on year 1 of any positive changes with their roster. I am ok with that
The word was Smith’s job is safe for next year “barring a collapse” to close out the season.

I’d say losing to the worst team in the league isn’t an ideal way for ol’ Arty to kick off that not-so ringing endorsement from the brass.

I think if they miss the playoffs, he’s toast. And good riddance.

murphysxm
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby murphysxm » Tue Dec 19, 2023 11:36 am

JoeJoe88 wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 11:31 am
murphysxm wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 11:08 am

The word was Smith’s job is safe for next year “barring a collapse” to close out the season.

I’d say losing to the worst team in the league isn’t an ideal way for ol’ Arty to kick off that not-so ringing endorsement from the brass.

I don't disagree with your logic, but Sam Wyche is as locked into that organization as anybody. If he says Arty is safe, I tend to heed that advice.
I am just a guy sharing some thoughts

Bronco Billy
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Tue Dec 19, 2023 11:46 am

Smith is on target for his 3rd straight 7-10 season and is currently barfing up a very winnable division. That he got the dreaded “vote of confidence” as a HC means nothing to his longevity. We’ve seen plenty of that in the past.

YouMightDieTryin
MVP
MVP

Postby YouMightDieTryin » Tue Dec 19, 2023 11:48 am

If Arthur Smith isn't on a hot seat now then what is it going to take to be on one next year? Firing him (soon) gets you a nice pool to choose from, but if you wait until next season to pull the trigger then you potentially just wasted another season.

I think most of it depends on where they'll pick. If they do miss the playoffs thus having a top pick plausible of obtaining a good QB then Smith gets the boot. New HC can choose and implement an actual offense. At least that's how I would do it.

But that won't happen...so....fudge.

JoeJoe88
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby JoeJoe88 » Tue Dec 19, 2023 12:00 pm

YouMightDieTryin wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 11:48 am If Arthur Smith isn't on a hot seat now then what is it going to take to be on one next year? Firing him (soon) gets you a nice pool to choose from, but if you wait until next season to pull the trigger then you potentially just wasted another season.

I think most of it depends on where they'll pick. If they do miss the playoffs thus having a top pick plausible of obtaining a good QB then Smith gets the boot. New HC can choose and implement an actual offense. At least that's how I would do it.

But that won't happen...so....fudge.
I could easily see them losing to Indy this week. Chicago isn’t a gimme anymore, and then they close things out with NO on the road.

They could easily go 1-2 here or maybe even winless.

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Tue Dec 19, 2023 12:06 pm

Atlanta should be relegated alongside Carolina, Washington and a few others

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Tue Dec 19, 2023 5:09 pm

I've been speculating for a while that the Falcons will be one of the frontrunners for Cousins. It just makes too much sense. Atlanta has a good roster. One of the most improved defenses in the league and a ton of talent on offense that's obviously underutilized.

I think it'll be between Atlanta and Minnesota. Minnesota has played themselves out of a high draft pick and I could see a scenario where they fudge some things and they bring Cousins back on a two-year deal.

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Tue Dec 19, 2023 5:47 pm

JoeJoe88 wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 11:31 am The word was Smith’s job is safe for next year “barring a collapse” to close out the season.

That was indeed the word, but a new report in the wake of the Carolina loss has once again thrown cold water on the idea. Unfortunately.
The Athletic’s Josh Kendall reports Falcons head coach Arthur Smith could retain his job in 2024 if the team misses the playoffs.

Falcons owner Arthur Blank said this summer that 2023 was the third year of a three-year plan to turn the rebuilding Falcons into a playoff team. After their Week 15 loss to Carolina, the Falcons are a long shot to make the postseason and Smith’s job status is in question. Nothing is guaranteed though. “Blank hasn’t made any public statements about Smith’s job status, and it’s doubtful he will until closer to the end of the season or after the conclusion of the season,” Kendall said. “It’s possible Smith will get a fourth season even if Atlanta misses the playoffs again.” Keeping his job, Kendall said, would probably require Smith to convince Blank “that he has a plan to go get a difference-making quarterback in the offseason.” That could be LSU QB Jayden Daniels if the Falcons have a top-10 pick in 2024. Smith’s refusal to use his most talented offensive players consistently could play a factor in his potential ouster after the 2023 season.
We'll need a proper collapse - perhaps even a player mutiny - to get this guy outta that seat, from the looks of it.
Cameron Giles wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 5:09 pm I've been speculating for a while that the Falcons will be one of the frontrunners for Cousins. It just makes too much sense. Atlanta has a good roster. One of the most improved defenses in the league and a ton of talent on offense that's obviously underutilized.

I think it'll be between Atlanta and Minnesota. Minnesota has played themselves out of a high draft pick and I could see a scenario where they fudge some things and they bring Cousins back on a two-year deal.
I'd love that to be the case too, and I do think Cousins will ultimately hear Atlanta out / do the visits / etc... but that he will use Atlanta to secure his contract conditions and ultimately remain in Minnesota.

Recall that he reportedly didn't want to waive his No Trade Clause this season at the deadline, because he wanted the ability to lobby to be a a part of the Vikings moving forward. He loves what they're building, and he wants to stay there - reportedly...

CGW
Legend
Legend

Postby CGW » Tue Dec 19, 2023 7:11 pm

Just imagine if they spend a top 10 pick on a QB, after spending top 10 picks on RB, WR, and TE the in previous three drafts. I guess this three year process involves being so terrible you can load your squad with early first round talent just so Arthur Smith can once again pull out his shiny new toys and try to smash square pegs into the round holes.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Wed Dec 20, 2023 2:25 am

Cameron Giles wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 5:09 pm I've been speculating for a while that the Falcons will be one of the frontrunners for Cousins. It just makes too much sense. Atlanta has a good roster. One of the most improved defenses in the league and a ton of talent on offense that's obviously underutilized.

Cousins wife is from the area, I believe, and has family there.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

TheTroll
Legend
Legend

Postby TheTroll » Wed Dec 20, 2023 2:25 am

CGW wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 7:11 pm Just imagine if they spend a top 10 pick on a QB, after spending top 10 picks on RB, WR, and TE the in previous three drafts. I guess this three year process involves being so terrible you can load your squad with early first round talent just so Arthur Smith can once again pull out his shiny new toys and try to smash square pegs into the round holes.
Almost all my friends are ATL fans and it has been twistedly fun listening to them complain about Artie this season. Even better because I saw a report that smith will be back even if they don’t make the playoffs this season.

I have never seen a complete misuse of talent. I bet if they do draft a QB, they will find a way to use him as a kick returner lol.
Team 1
Dynasty 10 team, 22 roster + 6 Taxi, PPR
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 Flex, 1 TE, K, Def

QB: Love, Goff, Fields
RB: Bijan, Montgomery, Kamara, Ford, K Herbert, Zeke, Mattison
WR: Jefferson, Olave, London, Ridley, Sutton, Shaheed
TE: Kincaid, Kittle, Freiermuth
K: Tucker, Sanders
DEF: CLE

Taxi: Charbs, K Mitchell, Demercado, QJ, D Douglas, W Robinson, Hooker

Picks
2024: 1.03, 3.06, 3.09, 4.09
2025: 2, 3, 3, 3, 4, 5
2026: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Team 2
Dynasty 10 team, 22 man roster + 6 Taxi, PPR, SF and TEP
1QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 Flex, 1 S Flex

QB: Allen, Goff, Watson, Jones
RB: K Williams, B Robinson, Chubb, Ford, Mostert, A Gibson, Dillon, Pierce, Zeke
WR: Olave, T Hill, Addison, D Adams, C Watson, D Johnson, G Davis, OBJ
TE: Kincaid, Kmet, Goedert

Taxi: Willis, DTR, Mims, K Miller, Demercado, Vaughn

Picks
2024: 1.08, 2.02
2025: 1, 3, 4, 5
2026: 1, 2, 2, 3, 4, 5