78%

Total votes: 32

DJB
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Strategic or bad integrity? Poll

Postby DJB » Wed Dec 13, 2023 7:47 am

Hey guys

In a dynasty league and here’s the situation.

I own the 1st round pick in 2024 of another owner who has been relegated to the consolation tournament (bottom 4 teams).

The winner of the consolation tournament earns the 1.01, 2nd place the 1.02 and so on regardless of regular season standings finish.

The owner whereby I own his pick immediately benched all his best players and intends to try and lose to avoid giving me a better draft pick.

Side note his best buddy (my biggest competitor also owns a 1st in the consolation pool of one of the bottom 4 teams)

He says that this is strategic (improves his 4th round pick) but I disagree I think it’s poor integrity and similar to blatant tanking.

Which is it?
Last edited by DJB on Wed Dec 13, 2023 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Follow me on Twitter @NickDynastyff

trc
Captain
Captain

Re: Strategic or bad integrity? Poll

Postby trc » Wed Dec 13, 2023 7:53 am

He should be able to expand on why it is 'strategic move'. I guess it will not happen.

Prison_Mike
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Prison_Mike » Wed Dec 13, 2023 7:54 am

There's no strategy involved because it doesn't benefit him at all. It's just spiteful because he doesn't have his pick. It's really quite childish IMO

Side note (but not really a side note because it's relevant to the question at hand) : your league's way of determining draft order needs to be revised. The worst team is not being afforded an opportunity to improve. You guys are just allowing good teams that were unlucky to load up with early rookie picks while the bad teams will be stuck in purgatory because they're always picking in the middle of rounds.

This rule is also allowing these shenanigans (spitefully tanking because they don't have their pick) to take place. Max potential points to determine non-playoff draft order would solve this problem.

Anyway, yes it's poor integrity and I'd be very irritated.
I'd also be challenging this hard in the league chat
Last edited by Prison_Mike on Wed Dec 13, 2023 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

frerichs5
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby frerichs5 » Wed Dec 13, 2023 7:56 am

trc wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 7:53 am He should be able to expand on why it is 'strategic move'. I guess it will not happen.
Yep, it’s only strategic if they have something to gain from it. From this post, it doesn’t seem that is the case as they don’t have a pick either way. Poor integrity.

But this is another reason leagues need something written about always trying to set your best lineup in my opinion.

And also not playing for the 1.01. Play for the 1.13, 2.13, etc. something you can’t trade away until you win it. You’ll never come across this scenario.

Prison_Mike
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Prison_Mike » Wed Dec 13, 2023 8:03 am

frerichs5 wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 7:56 am
trc wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 7:53 am He should be able to expand on why it is 'strategic move'. I guess it will not happen.
Yep, it’s only strategic if they have something to gain from it. From this post, it doesn’t seem that is the case as they don’t have a pick either way. Poor integrity.

But this is another reason leagues need something written about always trying to set your best lineup in my opinion.

And also not playing for the 1.01. Play for the 1.13, 2.13, etc. something you can’t trade away until you win it. You’ll never come across this scenario.
Yes, to expand on my point: If you guys insist on having players compete for something in the consolation bracket to keep them engaged, make it a single 'extra pick,' not a slot for the entire draft. I've done exactly what frerichs5 is suggesting here in some leagues, but I would recommend them playing for the "2.13," as the 1.13 is too valuable a pick and it sent my league into a tizzy last year when I won the 1.13

Orenthal Shames
Legend
Legend

Postby Orenthal Shames » Wed Dec 13, 2023 8:17 am

💯

If he stands to gain nothing, it's just poor integrity. Jesus people are childish.
Last edited by Orenthal Shames on Wed Dec 13, 2023 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
16 team league
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex (RB/WR/TE)
26 upman rosters - full point ppr
2015, 17, 18, 19, 20 Champs

QB: Watson, Flacco Stidham
RB: Bijan, Gibbs, McLaughlin
WR: Olave, Addison, Flowers, Rice, Sutton, Downs, Mims, Tillman
TE: Kittle, Goedert, Chig, Woods
24 Picks: 1.06

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Wed Dec 13, 2023 8:30 am

Prison_Mike wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 7:54 am your league's way of determining draft order needs to be revised. The worst team is not being afforded an opportunity to improve. You guys are just allowing good teams that were unlucky to load up with early rookie picks while the bad teams will be stuck in purgatory because they're always picking in the middle of rounds.

This rule is also allowing these shenanigans (spitefully tanking because they don't have their pick) to take place. Max potential points to determine non-playoff draft order would solve this problem.

Anyway, yes it's poor integrity and I'd be very irritated.
Nailed it. The consolation bracket is the worst way to determine draft order. Maybe an additional 2nd rounder for the winner or something, but that's as far as I'd go

tstafford
GOAT
GOAT

Postby tstafford » Wed Dec 13, 2023 8:40 am

Ridiculous way to assign draft picks.

There's no great way, but potential points amongst the non-playoff teams is the best I know.

To make things fun in my main league we hold a consolation round where in the winner gets a pick in between the 2nd and 3rd round. But otherwise the consolation games have no bearing on draft order.

YouMightDieTryin
MVP
MVP

Postby YouMightDieTryin » Wed Dec 13, 2023 8:53 am

Doesn't this just make his other picks that he does own worse as well? There's no logic.

jomaed
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby jomaed » Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:13 pm

One of the many reasons why determining picks this way is the worst. Bush league move by him. I would be raising hell.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:17 pm

This is a great reason to scrap this format.

Also, he's a low life.

What does the commish say?

I'd leave a league over this, personally. The format creates obvious issues, and this guy isn't a guy I'd want to be in a league with.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

mgscott
Starter
Starter

Postby mgscott » Wed Dec 13, 2023 1:23 pm

If your league insists on determining the first round this way, they should allow the owner of the draft pick to set the lineup for the consolation tournament. Where you get to set his lineup since the results only benefit you. I assume this only sets the first round of the draft and not the subsequent rounds. Otherwise, he is hurting himself some, if it gives him a worse 2nd round pick.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Wed Dec 13, 2023 1:32 pm

mgscott wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 1:23 pm If your league insists on determining the first round this way, they should allow the owner of the draft pick to set the lineup for the consolation tournament. Where you get to set his lineup since the results only benefit you. I assume this only sets the first round of the draft and not the subsequent rounds. Otherwise, he is hurting himself some, if it gives him a worse 2nd round pick.
I was going to suggest this. The owner of the first. The original owner may have his own 2nd still, but the guy who owns the first should get to set the lineup. Or just don't do it this way.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

sloth8u
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby sloth8u » Wed Dec 13, 2023 6:42 pm

In terms of strategy, they are hoping to ensure your pick is later. It happens when you play for draft position like your league is set up. The issue I had with it in a league I was in with this set up....the integrity part of this didn't consistently hold up for all members.

I'd suggest pointing it out and seeing if your league would like to go to a different way to determine draft position. I prefer potential points.

abloom
GOAT
GOAT

Postby abloom » Wed Dec 13, 2023 6:54 pm

Unless your league has rules against it, it's fine. It just devalues his first in future trades.
Team #1: 2nd place
12 team, 1 ppr (1.5 te), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,2F,1D,1K

Q: Kyler, AR
R: JT, CMC, Barkley, chandler
W: Evans, Chase, Mooney, Collins, Dell, Pickens
T: Kelce, Goedert
D: nyj
K: Sanders

Team #2: back to back champion
12 team, 1ppr (1.5 te), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,1SF,1F,1D,1K

Q: R Wilson, Murray, Watson
R: Swift, Walker, gus bus
W: Puka, Metcalf, Dell, Cooper, DJM, K Allen
T: Kelce, Pitts
K: Tucker
D: CLE

Team #3: back to back champion
14 team, SF, 1PPR (2PPR for TE), 1Q,2R,3W,1T,1SF,2F

Q: Mahomes, Rodgers, Watson, Heinicke, walker
R: Mostert, walker, a Jones, Wilson, Charb, Z White, McLaughlin, freeman, d Williams, Reynolds,
W: Waddle, A St Brown, K Allen, Cooper, Nuk, Juju
T: Kelce, Schultz, Thomas, Ferguson

Team #4 3rd
https://www49.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =0004&O=01

Team #5 4th
https://www45.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =07&F=0009

Team #6 orphan
https://www46.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =0013&O=07