Dynasty Tight End Tiers Going Into 2024?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
tstafford
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Dynasty Tight End Tiers Going Into 2024?

Postby tstafford » Sun Jan 21, 2024 4:39 am

Jigga94 wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 6:37 pm
tstafford wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 6:23 pm
Jigga94 wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 8:53 am Still hesitant on taking Bowers very early, but he sems as bulletproof a TE prospect as there ever was. I would not be surprised if we are talking about him being one of the all time greats when all said and done. I get that TE hit rates are rough and all, but I don't see myself taking Odunze over Bowers anywhere as of now
Sounds like you are relatively high on Bowers. In SF (PPR, non-TEP) are you taking him over either Maye or Daniels?
I need landing spots of course and formats will matter a bit here (# of starters is equally as important as TEP. TE is much less valuable in a league that starts 10+ vs a league that starts 8)

I mostly play SF/2QB and no TEP. Usually 8-10 starters. CW, MHJ, Maye and Nabers are above Bowers likely no matter what. I can see the case for Bowers at 1.05 though over Daniels if he doesn't get the draft cap or landing spot. I'm not convinced he's a top 10 pick, but we will see. He could go to a good spot if he falls a little too. Odunze is the other name most are taking over Bowers and I like him also, but WR are a dime a dozen these days.

I have the 1.05 in a league where I have built around QBs and WRs. I'm really considering Bowers here even though I've been against drafting rookie TE in the past. Of course will do my due diligence and trade out if possible. I just think Bowers is an Elite prospect and likely the best I've ever seen. Pitts was great. I liked Hockenson. There's been many other solid 1st round TE that have had wide ranges of careers. Bowers is on a different level imo. People are discounting the position (rightfully so), but has it gone too far? Is Bowers a slam dunk at a position that is nearly impossible to get an Elite talent? To have him behind Daniels or Odunze already seems a bit early to me, based on talent alone, but I can also see the case for them becoming the better fantasy assets.

I don't mean to be driving this Bowers Bus, as I've been trashing on drafting rookie TE for a while lol. I think he could be the exception to the rule though.
Understood. My POV:
Bowers: I'm with you on him. He's an elite prospect arguably better than Pitts was. With the right landing spot he could be a terrific FF asset. I took him in our '22 rookie/devy draft in a PPR league w/ 0.5 TEP. Generally I don't want to take devy players who aren't eligible the following year (too risky). But Bowers was worth it. Looks like that paid off because at the time the debate was b/w Mayer and Bowers. Kincaid and LaPorta were not really on the radar broadly speaking.

TE for FF: The problem with taking Bowers this early is of course the risk. History is very unkind to TEs. The position is the most impacted by situation. If he goes somewhere with decent odds that he is the #1 or #2 target recipient, it's fine to take him as early as wanted. The guys who are at the top of dynasty ranks mostly fit this criteria. It's a wait and see thing IMO.

League Settings: Your point about the number of required starters is a very good one. In a non-TEP, start 10 SF league (w/o DST) the TE is relatively unimportant. Could surely win the league punting the position entirely. Just play TEBC with guys like Kraft, Chig, JJ, etc. Save the draft capital for other positions. In TEP (or start 8) it's worth investing more heavily.

I'm glad I have Bowers in my 1QB SC TEP league. Would have FOMO if I didn't have a share. But In my SF league (non-TEP, start 10) I hold the 1.01, 1.05, 1.06, 1.10, 1.11 and likely won't reach for Bowers. If he falls to me at 1.10, I'll take him. But that's not going to happen. Of course I will reevaluate all of this after the NFL Draft.

wickerkat1212
Legend
Legend

Postby wickerkat1212 » Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:05 am

tstafford wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 4:39 am
tstafford wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 6:23 pm

Sounds like you are relatively high on Bowers. In SF (PPR, non-TEP) are you taking him over either Maye or Daniels?
I need landing spots of course and formats will matter a bit here (# of starters is equally as important as TEP. TE is much less valuable in a league that starts 10+ vs a league that starts 8)

I mostly play SF/2QB and no TEP. Usually 8-10 starters. CW, MHJ, Maye and Nabers are above Bowers likely no matter what. I can see the case for Bowers at 1.05 though over Daniels if he doesn't get the draft cap or landing spot. I'm not convinced he's a top 10 pick, but we will see. He could go to a good spot if he falls a little too. Odunze is the other name most are taking over Bowers and I like him also, but WR are a dime a dozen these days.

I have the 1.05 in a league where I have built around QBs and WRs. I'm really considering Bowers here even though I've been against drafting rookie TE in the past. Of course will do my due diligence and trade out if possible. I just think Bowers is an Elite prospect and likely the best I've ever seen. Pitts was great. I liked Hockenson. There's been many other solid 1st round TE that have had wide ranges of careers. Bowers is on a different level imo. People are discounting the position (rightfully so), but has it gone too far? Is Bowers a slam dunk at a position that is nearly impossible to get an Elite talent? To have him behind Daniels or Odunze already seems a bit early to me, based on talent alone, but I can also see the case for them becoming the better fantasy assets.

I don't mean to be driving this Bowers Bus, as I've been trashing on drafting rookie TE for a while lol. I think he could be the exception to the rule though.
Understood. My POV:
Bowers: I'm with you on him. He's an elite prospect arguably better than Pitts was. With the right landing spot he could be a terrific FF asset. I took him in our '22 rookie/devy draft in a PPR league w/ 0.5 TEP. Generally I don't want to take devy players who aren't eligible the following year (too risky). But Bowers was worth it. Looks like that paid off because at the time the debate was b/w Mayer and Bowers. Kincaid and LaPorta were not really on the radar broadly speaking.

TE for FF: The problem with taking Bowers this early is of course the risk. History is very unkind to TEs. The position is the most impacted by situation. If he goes somewhere with decent odds that he is the #1 or #2 target recipient, it's fine to take him as early as wanted. The guys who are at the top of dynasty ranks mostly fit this criteria. It's a wait and see thing IMO.

League Settings: Your point about the number of required starters is a very good one. In a non-TEP, start 10 SF league (w/o DST) the TE is relatively unimportant. Could surely win the league punting the position entirely. Just play TEBC with guys like Kraft, Chig, JJ, etc. Save the draft capital for other positions. In TEP (or start 8) it's worth investing more heavily.

I'm glad I have Bowers in my 1QB SC TEP league. Would have FOMO if I didn't have a share. But In my SF league (non-TEP, start 10) I hold the 1.01, 1.05, 1.06, 1.10, 1.11 and likely won't reach for Bowers. If he falls to me at 1.10, I'll take him. But that's not going to happen. Of course I will reevaluate all of this after the NFL Draft.
So it if goes

1.01 Harrison (you)
1.02 Williams
1.03 Maye
1.04 Nabers
1.05 Daniels (you)
1.06—you're taking Odunze over Bowers here? I'd take Bowers.
D3:
QB—Allen, Pickett RB—Kamara, Jacobs, ZWhite, Edwards, Ford, Warren WR—Lamb, Olave, DJM, Puka, Tillman, Marshall, Jefferson, Robinson, Tucker TE—Ferguson, Schoon, Likely, Smith, Washington, Kraft PK—Prater DEF—BAL

D4:
QB—TLaw, JimmyG, Tannehill, AOC, Hall RB—Bijan, Kamara, Conner, Gainwell, Gainwell, Foreman, ZMoss, Chandler, McLaughlin, Murray WR—Jefferson, Hill, Adams, Allen, Tillman, Woods TE—Kelce, Kmet, Conklin PK—Butker DEF—PIT

Superflex 1:
QB—Mahomes, Rodgers, Mayfield RB—Bijan, Kamara, Allgeier, Singletary, Mostert, BRob, Warren, Rodriguez, Spiller WR—Chase, DJM, Devonta, MBrown, Myers, Reynold, Jones TE—Kmet, Likely, Kraft, Conklin, Hurst, Hudson PK—Elliott DEF—PHI

Superflex 2:
QB: Goff, Cousins, Wentz, White; RB: Bijan, BRob, ZWhite, Allgeier, McLaughlin WR: DJM, Higgins, JSN, Downs, RMoore, Atwell, SMoore, PCampbell, DPJ, ATP, Hutchinson, Iosivas, Devante, CJones TE: Ferguson, Kraft, Trautman, Tremble

tstafford
GOAT
GOAT

Postby tstafford » Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:10 am

wickerkat1212 wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:05 am

Understood. My POV:

So it if goes

1.01 Harrison (you)
1.02 Williams
1.03 Maye
1.04 Nabers
1.05 Daniels (you)
Well I just traded away the 1.06 (not taking my own standard advice not to trade picks right now)!

But yes, pending the NFL draft, I would have done that. Said another way in a non-TEP, devy league I would trade Bowers away for Odunze right now. But it's really close. Bowers is 1.07 on my board. Odunze is in a tier w/ Maye just one tick higher. I'm fine with you taking Bowers there. I wouldn't that's all.

Not that you're asking but I have Daniels over Maye for FF. I like the rushing upside.

wickerkat1212
Legend
Legend

Postby wickerkat1212 » Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:16 am

tstafford wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:10 am
wickerkat1212 wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:05 am

Understood. My POV:

So it if goes

1.01 Harrison (you)
1.02 Williams
1.03 Maye
1.04 Nabers
1.05 Daniels (you)
Well I just traded away the 1.06 (not taking my own standard advice not to trade picks right now)!

But yes, pending the NFL draft, I would have done that. Said another way in a non-TEP, devy league I would trade Bowers away for Odunze right now. But it's really close. Bowers is 1.07 on my board. Odunze is in a tier w/ Maye just one tick higher. I'm fine with you taking Bowers there. I wouldn't that's all.

Not that you're asking but I have Daniels over Maye for FF. I like the rushing upside.
All good stuff. What did you get for the 1.06? I can see going Odunze over Bowers in non-TEP leagues.
D3:
QB—Allen, Pickett RB—Kamara, Jacobs, ZWhite, Edwards, Ford, Warren WR—Lamb, Olave, DJM, Puka, Tillman, Marshall, Jefferson, Robinson, Tucker TE—Ferguson, Schoon, Likely, Smith, Washington, Kraft PK—Prater DEF—BAL

D4:
QB—TLaw, JimmyG, Tannehill, AOC, Hall RB—Bijan, Kamara, Conner, Gainwell, Gainwell, Foreman, ZMoss, Chandler, McLaughlin, Murray WR—Jefferson, Hill, Adams, Allen, Tillman, Woods TE—Kelce, Kmet, Conklin PK—Butker DEF—PIT

Superflex 1:
QB—Mahomes, Rodgers, Mayfield RB—Bijan, Kamara, Allgeier, Singletary, Mostert, BRob, Warren, Rodriguez, Spiller WR—Chase, DJM, Devonta, MBrown, Myers, Reynold, Jones TE—Kmet, Likely, Kraft, Conklin, Hurst, Hudson PK—Elliott DEF—PHI

Superflex 2:
QB: Goff, Cousins, Wentz, White; RB: Bijan, BRob, ZWhite, Allgeier, McLaughlin WR: DJM, Higgins, JSN, Downs, RMoore, Atwell, SMoore, PCampbell, DPJ, ATP, Hutchinson, Iosivas, Devante, CJones TE: Ferguson, Kraft, Trautman, Tremble

YouMightDieTryin
MVP
MVP

Postby YouMightDieTryin » Mon Jan 22, 2024 11:31 am

wickerkat1212 wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:16 am All good stuff. What did you get for the 1.06? I can see going Odunze over Bowers in non-TEP leagues.
(pulled from Off-season trades thread)
SF, PPR (no-TEP)
Gave: Levis, 1.06, 1.11
Got: Achane, Spears, Pitts

I like it. Seems worthy all around. I'd love to buy Pitts right about now.

JoeJoe88
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby JoeJoe88 » Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:04 pm

YouMightDieTryin wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 11:31 am
wickerkat1212 wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:16 am All good stuff. What did you get for the 1.06? I can see going Odunze over Bowers in non-TEP leagues.
SF, PPR (no-TEP)

I greatly, and I mean greatly, prefer your side in that one.

tstafford
GOAT
GOAT

Postby tstafford » Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:06 pm

JoeJoe88 wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:04 pm
SF, PPR (no-TEP)

Which side do you prefer? (This is a trade I did this AM receiving Achane, etc. and giving Levis/picks)

YouMightDieTryin
MVP
MVP

Postby YouMightDieTryin » Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:15 pm

tstafford wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:06 pm

SF, PPR (no-TEP)

Which side do you prefer? (This is a trade I did this AM receiving Achane, etc. and giving Levis/picks)
The GOT side wins by a landslide (ATM).

tstafford
GOAT
GOAT

Postby tstafford » Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:19 pm

YouMightDieTryin wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:15 pm

Huh. I'm the "got" side but didn't see it as a landslide at all. I like Levis as a low end QB2 in SF but more as a QB3. The 1.06 is the most valuable piece in the deal. And the three players coming back *could* be great but they also could all bust. Feels like my side (got) is the riskier side by a good margin.

murphysxm
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby murphysxm » Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:20 pm

I believe you may be in the seat next to me....
I am just a guy sharing some thoughts

YouMightDieTryin
MVP
MVP

Postby YouMightDieTryin » Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:28 pm

tstafford wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:19 pm
YouMightDieTryin wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:15 pm

Huh. I'm the "got" side but didn't see it as a landslide at all. I like Levis as a low end QB2 in SF but more as a QB3. The 1.06 is the most valuable piece in the deal. And the three players coming back *could* be great but they also could all bust. Feels like my side (got) is the riskier side by a good margin.
Then why'd you make the trade?! :lol:

I do like Levis as a QB3. 1.6 could be Daniels and skyrocket, but it's a coinflip. 1.11 is a current unknown at this time.

Achane has the potential to be huge if 1: he stays healthy and 2: competition. Pitts I think is a buy low piece and he's going to perform like his Rookie year again. Spears is probably taking the reigns in TEN, but I'd look to flip personally. It all depends on who they bring in, but the offense is going to look vastly different.

Jrblaha
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Jrblaha » Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:50 pm

SF, PPR (no-TEP)

Achane > 1.6
Pits = 1.11
Spears = Levis.

Time will tell, but currently, good deal for you.

tstafford
GOAT
GOAT

Postby tstafford » Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:55 pm

Jrblaha wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:50 pm
SF, PPR (no-TEP)

Achane > 1.6
Pits = 1.11
Spears = Levis.

Appreciate that.

Getting back on topic - glad to finally get a share of Pitts. He's fallen far enough to make him a buy in my book. I'd thought him overpriced until now.

TheTroll
Legend
Legend

Postby TheTroll » Mon Jan 22, 2024 1:00 pm

tstafford wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:55 pm

SF, PPR (no-TEP)

Achane > 1.6
Pits = 1.11
Spears = Levis.

Appreciate that.

Getting back on topic - glad to finally get a share of Pitts. He's fallen far enough to make him a buy in my book. I'd thought him overpriced until now.
TStaff maybe he can get traded to the Titans and fall a little more and make you even more happy. :) Of course im joking but seriously this is the time and i wouldnt be surprised if he is moved
Team 1
Dynasty 10 team, 22 roster + 6 Taxi, PPR
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 Flex, 1 TE, K, Def

QB: Love, Goff, Fields
RB: Bijan, Montgomery, Kamara, Ford, K Herbert, Zeke, Mattison
WR: Jefferson, Olave, London, Ridley, Sutton, Shaheed
TE: Kincaid, Kittle, Freiermuth
K: Tucker, Sanders
DEF: CLE

Taxi: Charbs, K Mitchell, Demercado, QJ, D Douglas, W Robinson, Hooker

Picks
2024: 1.03, 3.06, 3.09, 4.09
2025: 2, 3, 3, 3, 4, 5
2026: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Team 2
Dynasty 10 team, 22 man roster + 6 Taxi, PPR, SF and TEP
1QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 Flex, 1 S Flex

QB: Allen, Goff, Watson, Jones
RB: K Williams, B Robinson, Chubb, Ford, Mostert, A Gibson, Dillon, Pierce, Zeke
WR: Olave, T Hill, Addison, D Adams, C Watson, D Johnson, G Davis, OBJ
TE: Kincaid, Kmet, Goedert

Taxi: Willis, DTR, Mims, K Miller, Demercado, Vaughn

Picks
2024: 1.08, 2.02
2025: 1, 3, 4, 5
2026: 1, 2, 2, 3, 4, 5

tstafford
GOAT
GOAT

Postby tstafford » Mon Jan 22, 2024 1:02 pm

TheTroll wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 1:00 pm
tstafford wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:55 pm

Achane > 1.6
Pits = 1.11
Spears = Levis.

Appreciate that.

TStaff maybe he can get traded to the Titans and fall a little more and make you even more happy. :) Of course im joking but seriously this is the time and i wouldnt be surprised if he is moved
That would suck because I'd have to go buy Levis back so I could have the stack.