Is Tanking ok?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
richardweston1233
Role Player
Role Player

Is Tanking ok?

Postby richardweston1233 » Sun Dec 03, 2023 2:49 am

I need to know if tanking is ok. I have the top 3 picks in the draft if I tank. Why would I want to win at this point. Can I bench a potential big scoring player or 2 and not get heat from my league? Is there an etiquette where we shouldn't do this?
10 Team PPR 1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 2Flex, 3Taxi
QB: Cousins, Tua, Pickett
RB: J. Taylor, R. Stevenson, D. Pierce, J. Williams, D. Harris, K. Gainwell, Zach Evans, Deuce Vaughn
WR: J. Waddle, J. Chase,
C. Lamb,
J. Palmer, J. Addison, P. Nacua, I. Hodgins, K. Boutte
TE: K. Pitts, C. Otton, D. Belinger
Taxi: J. Warren, K. Shakir, J. Mingo
Draft Picks

2024: 1st, 1st, 3rd
2025: 1st, 2nd
2026: 1st, 2nd, 3rd

Team 2, 12 team, IDP, draft order is linear, PPR
QB: Herbert M. Jones
RB: Bijan, Etienne, C. Patterson, Z. Moss, D. Singletary, A. Mattison
WR: C. Kirk, J. Meyers, Q. Johnston, G. Davis, J. Hyatt, T. Thornton, J. Mingo, G. Dortch
TE: Schultz,Mayer
DL: Q. Williams B. Burns
LB: N. Bolton, TJ Edwards
DB: H. Smith, Gardner-Johnson
Taxi: J. Warren, Z. Evans, J. Reed

Draft Picks

24: 4 first, 1 second
25: 1 first, 1 second, 1 third
26: 2 first, 1 second, 1 third

mild
Legend
Legend

Re: Is Tanking ok?

Postby mild » Sun Dec 03, 2023 2:51 am

richardweston1233 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 2:49 am I need to know if tanking is ok. I have the top 3 picks in the draft if I tank. Why would I want to win at this point. Can I bench a potential big scoring player or 2 and not get heat from my league? Is there an etiquette where we shouldn't do this?
It's your team, you pay to run it as you see fit.

But also: this is why draft order of non-playoff teams should be determined by PP (potential points) of the roster.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sun Dec 03, 2023 2:57 am

Within the rules. Bylaws can eliminate obvious tanking. It's league dependent. As a commish, you set the rules from the onset.
Bylaws may bring what you want to do into question, they may not. Read through your bylaws on the subject, and act accordingly.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

tstafford
GOAT
GOAT

Postby tstafford » Sun Dec 03, 2023 3:17 am

There's no doubt that potential points is the best way for non-playoff teams to get their positions in the rookie draft. It allows them full control - they can trade or even cut players to avoid points they don't want. Those trades/cuts have consequences. It also means the out of contention teams start optimal rosters to play spoiler or just stay engaged. Unfortunately some of the platforms (i.e. CBS) don't calculate PP unless the league is best ball.

I have one league where tanking is allowed. The only requirement is that you start "active" players. Means you can't play someone on a bye, injured or healthy scratch. I dislike the rule intensely. Having multiple tanking teams makes the league less interesting. And feeling the pressure to tank is unpleasant (for me at least). But I enjoy the league otherwise. . .

As to your question OP, comes down to the rules. If there's no rule against it, I guess it's okay. That said I wouldn't feel comfortable being the first/only person who is setting bad line-ups (the etiquette part of your question). Check the rules and check your conscience I guess.

TheTroll
Legend
Legend

Postby TheTroll » Sun Dec 03, 2023 3:58 am

Here is what I wrote in the Commish Corner thread.

While others may have a different opinion, we have a rule in place (in our league charter) that states every owner but attempt to set their best possible lineup weekly in the spirit of competition. Now as we all know there are always a gaggle of players on peoples rosters that are close enough with weekly rankings that we allow teams to take chances with lineups. now, with what you are saying is absolute Egregious and needs to be dealt with. Here is what our charter reads.

67. Tanking and/or collusion will not be tolerated and could result in penalties up to and including expulsion from the league. Each owner is expected to field his best starting lineup on a weekly basis. If the commissioner decides that a team is deliberately starting players in order to gain a better draft pick, that owner will be subject to expulsion from the league.
67.1. Tanking: Willfully, or neglectfully, failing to set a lineup, dropping your best players to free agency or sitting your best players. An owner is required to start his best possible lineup each week, regardless of record or standing.
Team 1
Dynasty 10 team, 22 roster + 6 Taxi, PPR
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 Flex, 1 TE, K, Def

QB: Love, Goff, Fields
RB: Bijan, Montgomery, Kamara, Ford, K Herbert, Zeke, Mattison
WR: Jefferson, Olave, London, Ridley, Sutton, Shaheed
TE: Kincaid, Kittle, Freiermuth
K: Tucker, Sanders
DEF: CLE

Taxi: Charbs, K Mitchell, Demercado, QJ, D Douglas, W Robinson, Hooker

Picks
2024: 1.03, 3.06, 3.09, 4.09
2025: 2, 3, 3, 3, 4, 5
2026: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Team 2
Dynasty 10 team, 22 man roster + 6 Taxi, PPR, SF and TEP
1QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 Flex, 1 S Flex

QB: Allen, Goff, Watson, Jones
RB: K Williams, B Robinson, Chubb, Ford, Mostert, A Gibson, Dillon, Pierce, Zeke
WR: Olave, T Hill, Addison, D Adams, C Watson, D Johnson, G Davis, OBJ
TE: Kincaid, Kmet, Goedert

Taxi: Willis, DTR, Mims, K Miller, Demercado, Vaughn

Picks
2024: 1.08, 2.02
2025: 1, 3, 4, 5
2026: 1, 2, 2, 3, 4, 5

TheTroll
Legend
Legend

Postby TheTroll » Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:29 am

TheTroll wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 3:58 am Here is what I wrote in the Commish Corner thread.

While others may have a different opinion, we have a rule in place (in our league charter) that states every owner but attempt to set their best possible lineup weekly in the spirit of competition. Now as we all know there are always a gaggle of players on peoples rosters that are close enough with weekly rankings that we allow teams to take chances with lineups. now, with what you are saying is absolute Egregious and needs to be dealt with. Here is what our charter reads.

67. Tanking and/or collusion will not be tolerated and could result in penalties up to and including expulsion from the league. Each owner is expected to field his best starting lineup on a weekly basis. If the commissioner decides that a team is deliberately starting players in order to gain a better draft pick, that owner will be subject to expulsion from the league.
67.1. Tanking: Willfully, or neglectfully, failing to set a lineup, dropping your best players to free agency or sitting your best players. An owner is required to start his best possible lineup each week, regardless of record or standing.
If you don’t have a charter, definitely get one. If you want to message me your email, I can send you ours so you can edit customize to your league.
Team 1

Picks

Team 2

RB: K Williams, B Robinson, Chubb, Ford, Mostert, A Gibson, Dillon, Pierce, Zeke

Picks

frerichs5
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby frerichs5 » Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:34 am

richardweston1233 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 2:49 am I need to know if tanking is ok. I have the top 3 picks in the draft if I tank. Why would I want to win at this point. Can I bench a potential big scoring player or 2 and not get heat from my league? Is there an etiquette where we shouldn't do this?
My opinion, no. But if you don’t have rules set up against it…I guess anything goes.

I don’t deal with this in my leagues, everyone sets their best lineups. Record doesn’t determine draft order as others have mentioned.

When I read about it like this though, I always hope for poetic justice. Maybe a team tanks now….needs help for playoff seeding in a year or two, but gets knocked out because someone else tanked against a completely different team. Remember tanking doesn’t only effect you.

Bronco Billy
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Sun Dec 03, 2023 5:14 am

Just because you can do something doesn’t mean you should do something.

killer_of_giants
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby killer_of_giants » Sun Dec 03, 2023 5:57 am

GM tanking: selling players for future picks or injured players, neglect a positional group ---> fine

HC tanking: sitting studs for duds, IR/OUT/BYE players in your lineup ---> not cool

if you don't have rules, do what you like. remember that other people may ostracize you because of that, or do the same, and you end up in a league where half the good players sit on the bench the whole year. is it worth it?

TheTroll
Legend
Legend

Postby TheTroll » Sun Dec 03, 2023 6:00 am

The other part is if your league doesn’t have taxi, I think you should. This way you can leave rookies on there even if they are performing. Since they are not on active rosters, it’s not tanking.
Team 1

Picks

Team 2

Picks

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Sun Dec 03, 2023 7:26 am

TheTroll wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 6:00 am The other part is if your league doesn’t have taxi, I think you should. This way you can leave rookies on there even if they are performing. Since they are not on active rosters, it’s not tanking.
Sounds like troll mischief to me

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Sun Dec 03, 2023 7:40 am

TheTroll wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 6:00 amThe other part is if your league doesn’t have taxi, I think you should. This way you can leave rookies on there even if they are performing. Since they are not on active rosters, it’s not tanking.
Somewhat accepted forms of tanking are still tanking and should not be encouraged. :?

There should be one roster to rule them all. No junk rosters to stash players.
TEAM 1:
12 Team ppr w/20 keepers - start 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1FLX 6IDP 1DEF
QB: Tua, Lamar, Levis
RB: Etienne, Pacheco, JavonteWms, JFord, CEH
WR: Lamb, JChase, Waddle, Pickens, MWilliams, Q Johnston
TE: Goedert, Friermuth
DEF: Cowboys, Ravens
IDP:(LB) Bolton, Greenlaw; (DE/DL) ZCollins, BJHill; (S/CB) Pitre, Bates, Witherspoon
2023 & 2022 Champion: 2020 third place: 2019 Champion

TEAM 2:
14 Team 30roster SF/ppr/TEP - QB/RB/WR/TE/5FLX/SF
QB: Tua, CJStroud, Carr, AOC, MWhite, Lock
RB: Etienne, Stevenson, GusE, AJD, Singletary, CEH, Spiller
WR: Amon-Ra, Kirk, Dell, Thielen, Gallup, Ch Jones
TE: Andrews, Waller, Taysom, Smythe, WMallory, JOliver
2023 semifinals loser

trc
Captain
Captain

Postby trc » Sun Dec 03, 2023 8:06 am

TheTroll wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 6:00 am The other part is if your league doesn’t have taxi, I think you should. This way you can leave rookies on there even if they are performing. Since they are not on active rosters, it’s not tanking.
Putting Bijan/MHJR in taxi squad should be considered as tanking as well.

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Sun Dec 03, 2023 8:28 am

If you hate your league mates then sure, it’s fine.

SteveMaddensShoes
Legend
Legend

Postby SteveMaddensShoes » Sun Dec 03, 2023 8:36 am

OP, I hope everything has been settled. Lol.

I agree with Killer of Giants. You set your best lineup possible but you can trade away(not give away. Fair trades) all your assets for FUTURE points and it definitely benefits you now. I encourage that in my league. You don’t spread your points out this year and next and next. In a sense you take present points and move the points into a different year. This allows you to catch back up to the contenders and stacked teams in your league.

To reiterate, definitely set your best lineup, but trade your points to a future year

If anyone has a problem with you making fair trades to consolidate points and transfer them into future years when you are contending they can suck it and you can find another league.
TEAM 1 - 12 man SF. ppr, TEP 1.65 ppr

11 starters - QB, RB(2) WR(3) TE, SF, Flex(3)

Stroud, Kyler, Bryce Young, Anthony Richardson, Minshew, Trey Lance, Dalton l, Mike White

Breece, Achane, AJ Dillon, Justice Hill, Evan Hull, Chris Rodgriquez

Chase, Lamb, Waddle, Olave, London Drake, Demario Davis, Jake Bobo

Kyle Pitts, Mark Andrews, Kincaid, Schoonmaker

24 picks - 1x2, 3,4,5

Team 2-
12 man SF, .25ppc, .5ppr rbs, 1 ppr wr, 1.5 ppr TE

Joe Burrow, Trevor Lawerence, Jake Haehner, Jake Browning

JT, Kendre Miller,, K Ingram, Ty Chandler, Michael Carter, Kenny Macintosh, Sean Tucker

Puka, Rondale, Mooney, Wan’dale, Terrace Marshall, DPJ, Justyn Ross, Xavier Hutchinson,

Kyle Pitts, Luke Musgrave, Juwan Johnson, Darnell Washington, Jelani Woods, Elijah Higgins

24 - 1st x 3, 2nd x 2, 4th x 3 ,5