2023 Week 13

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
murphysxm
Degenerate
Degenerate

Re: 2023 Week 13

Postby murphysxm » Tue Dec 05, 2023 7:01 am

Shoreline Steamers wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 11:02 pm
I'm not fashioning a tinfoil hat at this point, but I don't think the opinion BB, myself, and some others have expressed at this point is delusional or "sour grapes" of a fanbase. Calls are literally being made in every game that are not supported by the rules the officials are supposed to be following. Chalk it up to human error, incompetence, poor training, or whatever you like. But the fact is that the quality of officiating is not up to par with the quality of athletes playing the games, and that's a shame.
Calls are being called exactly how the league wants them to be called. Bottom line they would rather deal with some short term bad PR than to have Mahomes (or any popular player) miss time. Not calling it sour grapes, but it is pissing into the wind. If you don't like the product the NFL has decided to put out there, stop watching. These calls aren't going anywhere. The NFL makes more money when the stars play.
I am just a guy sharing some thoughts

wickerkat1212
Legend
Legend

Postby wickerkat1212 » Tue Dec 05, 2023 7:50 am

Great week for me. ETN got me the win in OT, 202 to 199.

Dynasty #3: 2nd place, 9-4.
Dynasty #4: 2nd place, 11-2.
Ultimate Redraft: 1st place, 11-2.
Superflex #1 (was orphan two years ago): 2nd place, 9-4.
Superflex #2 (tanking): 11th place, 2-11 (so currently have the 1.02 and the 1.05).
D3:
QB—Allen, Pickett RB—Kamara, Jacobs, ZWhite, Edwards, Ford, Warren WR—Lamb, Olave, DJM, Puka, Tillman, Marshall, Jefferson, Robinson, Tucker TE—Ferguson, Schoon, Likely, Smith, Washington, Kraft PK—Prater DEF—BAL

D4:
QB—TLaw, JimmyG, Tannehill, AOC, Hall RB—Bijan, Kamara, Conner, Gainwell, Gainwell, Foreman, ZMoss, Chandler, McLaughlin, Murray WR—Jefferson, Hill, Adams, Allen, Tillman, Woods TE—Kelce, Kmet, Conklin PK—Butker DEF—PIT

Superflex 1:
QB—Mahomes, Rodgers, Mayfield RB—Bijan, Kamara, Allgeier, Singletary, Mostert, BRob, Warren, Rodriguez, Spiller WR—Chase, DJM, Devonta, MBrown, Myers, Reynold, Jones TE—Kmet, Likely, Kraft, Conklin, Hurst, Hudson PK—Elliott DEF—PHI

Superflex 2:
QB: Goff, Cousins, Wentz, White; RB: Bijan, BRob, ZWhite, Allgeier, McLaughlin WR: DJM, Higgins, JSN, Downs, RMoore, Atwell, SMoore, PCampbell, DPJ, ATP, Hutchinson, Iosivas, Devante, CJones TE: Ferguson, Kraft, Trautman, Tremble

Bronco Billy
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Tue Dec 05, 2023 8:00 am

murphysxm wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 7:01 am
I'm not fashioning a tinfoil hat at this point, but I don't think the opinion BB, myself, and some others have expressed at this point is delusional or "sour grapes" of a fanbase. Calls are literally being made in every game that are not supported by the rules the officials are supposed to be following. Chalk it up to human error, incompetence, poor training, or whatever you like. But the fact is that the quality of officiating is not up to par with the quality of athletes playing the games, and that's a shame.
Calls are being called exactly how the league wants them to be called. Bottom line they would rather deal with some short term bad PR than to have Mahomes (or any popular player) miss time. Not calling it sour grapes, but it is pissing into the wind. If you don't like the product the NFL has decided to put out there, stop watching. These calls aren't going anywhere. The NFL makes more money when the stars play.
I’ll disagree with this. The NFL is now firmly in bed with legal gambling. The perception of fairness is a critical factor for the gambling industry. Plainly spoken, if gamblers lose faith in the games being administered fairly under the rules then the gambling industry (and now the NFL indirectly) loses a tremendous amount of revenue.

That doesn’t even begin to touch on officiating getting so poor that fans simply lose faith in a fair and competent administration of the rules. If the NFL decides that it would rather accept such egregious officiating, you will see a significant amount of people refusing to participate in fanship.

I know how tremendously minuscule the example is, but I for one watch much less pro football than I used to, and the reason is that the “new” NFL is simply less entertaining. A good portion of that is that some of the rule changes have changed the game play very negatively IMO, and the officiating is also a contributing factor.

I’d much rather watch college football. It’s a better product and despite the dilution of officiating, the game IMO has superior rules enforcement. Hard to believe that’s the case.

abloom
GOAT
GOAT

Postby abloom » Tue Dec 05, 2023 8:51 am

Bronco Billy wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 8:00 am
I’ll disagree with this. The NFL is now firmly in bed with legal gambling. The perception of fairness is a critical factor for the gambling industry. Plainly spoken, if gamblers lose faith in the games being administered fairly under the rules then the gambling industry (and now the NFL indirectly) loses a tremendous amount of revenue.

That doesn’t even begin to touch on officiating getting so poor that fans simply lose faith in a fair and competent administration of the rules. If the NFL decides that it would rather accept such egregious officiating, you will see a significant amount of people refusing to participate in fanship.

I know how tremendously minuscule the example is, but I for one watch much less pro football than I used to, and the reason is that the “new” NFL is simply less entertaining. A good portion of that is that some of the rule changes have changed the game play very negatively IMO, and the officiating is also a contributing factor.

I’d much rather watch college football. It’s a better product and despite the dilution of officiating, the game IMO has superior rules enforcement. Hard to believe that’s the case.
But, has it looked like refs are favoring specific teams or that it sucks so much that both teams are affected?
Team #1: 2nd place
12 team, 1 ppr (1.5 te), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,2F,1D,1K

Q: Kyler, AR
R: JT, CMC, Barkley, chandler
W: Evans, Chase, Mooney, Collins, Dell, Pickens
T: Kelce, Goedert
D: nyj
K: Sanders

Team #2: back to back champion
12 team, 1ppr (1.5 te), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,1SF,1F,1D,1K

Q: R Wilson, Murray, Watson
R: Swift, Walker, gus bus
W: Puka, Metcalf, Dell, Cooper, DJM, K Allen
T: Kelce, Pitts
K: Tucker
D: CLE

Team #3: back to back champion
14 team, SF, 1PPR (2PPR for TE), 1Q,2R,3W,1T,1SF,2F

Q: Mahomes, Rodgers, Watson, Heinicke, walker
R: Mostert, walker, a Jones, Wilson, Charb, Z White, McLaughlin, freeman, d Williams, Reynolds,
W: Waddle, A St Brown, K Allen, Cooper, Nuk, Juju
T: Kelce, Schultz, Thomas, Ferguson

Team #4 3rd
https://www49.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =0004&O=01

Team #5 4th
https://www45.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =07&F=0009

Team #6 orphan
https://www46.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =0013&O=07

Bronco Billy
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Tue Dec 05, 2023 9:14 am

abloom wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 8:51 am

But, has it looked like refs are favoring specific teams or that it sucks so much that both teams are affected?
Either one erodes faith in a fair contest, both for gamblers and for fans.

abloom
GOAT
GOAT

Postby abloom » Tue Dec 05, 2023 9:22 am

Bronco Billy wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 9:14 am

Not true at all. As long as there is no favoritism by the refs, bad calls are part of the game. Just because there are additional factors does not make a game not fair.

R: Mostert, walker, a Jones, Wilson, Charb, Z White, McLaughlin, freeman, d Williams, Reynolds,

Team #4 3rd

Team #5 4th

Team #6 orphan

Bronco Billy
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Tue Dec 05, 2023 9:29 am

abloom wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 9:22 am

Not true at all. As long as there is no favoritism by the refs, bad calls are part of the game. Just because there are additional factors does not make a game not fair.
There are bad calls and there is bad officiating. Bad calls are tolerable. Bad officiating is not.

abloom
GOAT
GOAT

Postby abloom » Tue Dec 05, 2023 9:42 am

Bronco Billy wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 9:29 am
abloom wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 9:22 am

There are bad calls and there is bad officiating. Bad calls are tolerable. Bad officiating is not.
NFL should then invest in robot/AI refs and replay all plays from the head office. That's the only way you'll remove the bad officiating.

Team #4 3rd

Team #5 4th

Team #6 orphan

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Tue Dec 05, 2023 1:07 pm

Bronco Billy wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 11:58 am lol. Wilson throws a long pass to Mims and it hits Mims square in the helmet. Nice ball tracking skills..
Just getting caught up on some games. The ball was badly underthrown, and he was clearly interfered with, despite the great NFL refs not calling it. Not sure what he was supposed to do there.
Janiel Dones Truther

Foodie. Mild sauce goes in the trash. Well done steak goes with it.

JoeJoe88
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby JoeJoe88 » Tue Dec 05, 2023 1:43 pm

So Kyren Williams. Another solid performance against a stout defense. I must admit I was skeptical initially, but dude just keeps putting up numbers. How confident are we he’s the long-term guy there? Mcvay seems to love him.

If you’re a contender, what are you giving up for him at this point in dynasty?

CGW
Legend
Legend

Postby CGW » Tue Dec 05, 2023 2:04 pm

JoeJoe88 wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 1:43 pm So Kyren Williams. Another solid performance against a stout defense. I must admit I was skeptical initially, but dude just keeps putting up numbers. How confident are we he’s the long-term guy there? Mcvay seems to love him.

If you’re a contender, what are you giving up for him at this point in dynasty?
He's the real deal for this year and probably next. One of the highest (maybe the highest) backfield snap shares in the league when he's been in the lineup. I'd pay a first if I was a contender. Juicy matchups coming up too in weeks 15-17...likely a league winner type of RB.