Finally got out from under QJ

This is the place for team advice - should I make this trade, should I draft that player, etc.
M-Dub
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Finally got out from under QJ

Postby M-Dub » Thu Nov 02, 2023 10:14 pm

Team 2 in sig. Salary cap/contract league. Drafted him at 1.06 back in April, and had been regretting it for almost the entire time. Our trade deadline was tonight before the kickoff of TNF, and got a couple 11th hour inquiries. Tried to see if the first guy would trade a 2025 1st for QJ and a 2nd (I have three in 2024 and six in 2025, so I would’ve done any of them except the one that’s shaping up to be the 2.01), but the best he was willing to offer was a late 2024 2nd and 2025 3rd. The other owner only had 3rds, but he knew from previous trade talks that I was interested in Jaylen Warren. Wound up shipping QJ ($12 salary/5-year contract) for Warren ($2/4 years), an early 2024 3rd and a 2025 3rd.

I’m sure some of y’all will roast me for this, but I was just really feeling like Johnston is a bust, and I’d rather cut my losses and get out while there’s still a believer or two, rather than look at him on my bench for another season and a half before I just drop him outright. Honestly, I feel like I got the 3rds for free. If this guy had really wanted to play hardball, I might’ve settled for a straight swap for Warren.

I also like that it opens up $10 more cap space and frees up another contract year. I’ve basically done a complete tear-down of this team and am pretty excited for the future. All of the other rookies I drafted this year have either broken out or at least flashed. After the 2024 draft, I’ll have 12-13 young players on cheap, long-term deals, plus by far the most cap space in the league to add some high-end veteran talent in the annual free agent auction.

Okay, I’ll stop with the justifications. Haha. Let the roast commence…
Both are 12-team 1QB PPR dynasties

🦬PRIME🦬
QB: Hurts, Howell
RB: Mixon, Jones, Sanders, Dobbins, Akers, Roschon, Dowdle, Kelley
WR: Nuk, Godwin, Cooper, Lockett, Flowers, Chark, Collins, Hollins, Tillman, Tolbert
TE: Hockenson, Chig, Trautman
Taxi: Willis, Z. White, M. Mims, T. Palmer

Hull Awaits
$450 cap, 60 contract years

QB: Lawrence $5/3, Richardson $5/5, Minshew $1/0, Jones $1/0, Heinicke $1/0, Tyrod $1/0
RB: Achane $4/4, Warren $2/4, Roschon $7/5, Dillon $4/1, Hubbard $2/1, Kelley $1/0
WR: Nuk $78/1, MT $25/1, M. Williams $1/0, JSN $21/5, Reed $4/5, Rice $4/5, M. Wilson $2/5
TE: Thomas $1/0, Hill $1/0, Parham $1/0

ZakHH
Role Player
Role Player

Re: Finally got out from under QJ

Postby ZakHH » Fri Nov 03, 2023 3:18 am

Of course, we cannot rule out that QJ is a bust. But that's the trick: we simply don't know yet.

Any fantasy manager doing their due dilligence knew that QJ was not NFL ready. He was (is) a talented and physically gifted development project who found himself a great landing spot. I drafted him in both my major dynasty leagues at 1.06 / 1.09, and did not expect him to become startable in 2023.

Of course, I've been hoping for a leap forward when Mike Williams got hurt, and that hasn't happened yet. Still, we should remind ourself that rookie WR usually don't come NFL ready. Some turn out to be able to produce in the NFL immediately, but most of them need some time to develop.

The Chargers knew they got themselves a development project, and they are a team that knows how to handle them.

QJ's snap share is rising constantly. He played around 25% of snaps in weeks 1-3, around 50% in the following 3 games, and 70% last week. That is a clear trend, and speaks of a plan the Chargers are following with him.

I'm holding on to him. Am I sure he will turn into a weekly WR1? No. The bust potential is there, there's no denying that. But so is the breakout potential. And as long as the upward trend continues, he will remain on my rosters. He has a good schedule going forward, that should allow him to build on the 5/6, 50yd stat line he had last week.

I won't roast you for taking the safe way out, but I think you drafted him with the wrong expectations.

The.Big.Spank
Legend
Legend

Postby The.Big.Spank » Fri Nov 03, 2023 6:14 am

I agree with Zac. I would rather gamble with QJ's ceiling, being paired with Herbert than the super long shot hope of 3rd round picks and a second string running back on a bad offense.
Team 1: 16 Team
QB's: Fields, Wentz,
RB: D. Harris, D. Montgomery, Kendre M.
WR: Chase, AJ Brown, Aiyuk, Bateman
TE: Waller, J. Woods, Dulich, Mayer

Team 2: 12 Team SF 1ppr, Start 10
QB: Mahomes, Burrow, Watson
RB: Hall, Walker, Javonte, Pacheco, K Mitchell, Dobbins
WR: Godwin, JSN, Pittman, Pickens, Toney, DP Jones, S Moore
TE: Andrews, Fant, Likely
(2024) 1.03, 2.03, 3.03
(2025) Top 3 1st, my 1st

Team 3 SF, TEP, Start 11 ppr
QB: AR, Watson, Young, Levis
RB: ETN, Walker, Pierce, Akers, Pacheco, Herbert, Warren, Kelley
WR: G. Wilson, Higgins, Godwin, Kirk, Bateman, Collins, Doubs, Chark, Shaheed,
TE: Schultz, I Smith, Bellinger, Parham, Fant, Likely, Granson,

BigBawseRoss
GOAT
GOAT

Postby BigBawseRoss » Fri Nov 03, 2023 6:22 am

think its fine warren is currently producing and could likely be flipped for a young wr you believe in more. im anti qj tho hated his tape and got 0 shares
team 1
12 team, 1 pt for 4 rec, 0.1 per rush
1qb, 3 rb, 4 wr, te, k, 4 idp
Dak , Herbert
Achane, Breece Hall, KW3Kyren,Ford, Miller, Spiller, z evans, singletary
J Jefferson, Diggs, DK, D Smith Puka, C Watson, E Moore
Njoku , HH, Engram

2024 picks
1,3,4,5,5,6,7 (all late mostly)

team 2
12 team .5ppr
qb, 2 rb, 2 wr, te, flx,flx,
Fields, Dak
Ford,Mixon, Javonte, Mostert, Chubb, Spears
Hopkins, Evans, g Wilson Mingo, shaheed, Jamo
Kelce,McBride, Chig,

team 3
14 team sf, even scoring idp to offense (rb scores highly too)
Josh Allen, A Rich, Foles, Rudolph
Bijan, Charbs, Spears, Ebner
J Williams, G Wilson, C Watson, Flowers, J Addison, Tillman
Kincaid, Kolar, Ruckert, Fergeson

Kenny Clark, josh allen, jaelen phillips, felix a-u and a bunch of fluff and rookie fliers at idp

Gator Sens
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Gator Sens » Fri Nov 03, 2023 6:33 am

Johnston was never a great prospect coming in, was overdrafted, and needed at least a year to develop. Seems a bit early to give up on him based on where you drafted him and for the return. I would have shopped him in the offseason once every fantasy website has him as a second year breakout player.

TheTroll
Legend
Legend

Postby TheTroll » Fri Nov 03, 2023 9:52 am

Gator Sens wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 6:33 am Johnston was never a great prospect coming in, was overdrafted, and needed at least a year to develop. Seems a bit early to give up on him based on where you drafted him and for the return. I would have shopped him in the offseason once every fantasy website has him as a second year breakout player.
I agree with this... some WR's take time to develop and a year alot can happen. wouldnt have jumped the gun here
Team 1
Dynasty 10 team, 22 roster + 6 Taxi, PPR
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 Flex, 1 TE, K, Def

QB: Love, Goff, Fields
RB: Bijan, Montgomery, Kamara, Ford, K Herbert, Zeke, Mattison
WR: Jefferson, Olave, London, Ridley, Sutton, Shaheed
TE: Kincaid, Kittle, Freiermuth
K: Tucker, Sanders
DEF: CLE

Taxi: Charbs, K Mitchell, Demercado, QJ, D Douglas, W Robinson, Hooker

Picks
2024: 1.03, 3.06, 3.09, 4.09
2025: 2, 3, 3, 3, 4, 5
2026: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Team 2
Dynasty 10 team, 22 man roster + 6 Taxi, PPR, SF and TEP
1QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 Flex, 1 S Flex

QB: Allen, Goff, Watson, Jones
RB: K Williams, B Robinson, Chubb, Ford, Mostert, A Gibson, Dillon, Pierce, Zeke
WR: Olave, T Hill, Addison, D Adams, C Watson, D Johnson, G Davis, OBJ
TE: Kincaid, Kmet, Goedert

Taxi: Willis, DTR, Mims, K Miller, Demercado, Vaughn

Picks
2024: 1.08, 2.02
2025: 1, 3, 4, 5
2026: 1, 2, 2, 3, 4, 5

dmac37
Role Player
Role Player

Postby dmac37 » Sat Nov 04, 2023 8:19 am

Operative word in your statement is "finally" got out from QJ. He is a rookie and only a half year into his career. Some of the recent rookie stud WR's immediately going off has miss lead many to expect half a season make or break a prospect. I was not a huge fan of QJ mainly because of the body catching but very impressed with an interview that I heard him do and expect him to work hard to improve. With this combined with draft capital and situation, I'm betting wheels up in 2024.
12 Team PPR Scoring:
QB: Purdy, Pickett, Howell, Rodgers
RB: Bijan, Kamara, A. Jones Spears Allgeier, Tucker, Hunt
WR: ARSB, Ridley, Nacua, E. Moore, Hollywood, Addison, Mingo, Mooney,
M. Thomas, Gallup
TE: Hockenson, Ferguson
PK:
DST: Ravens

12 Team Superflex PPR Scoring:
QB: Fields, Tua, Howell, White
RB: J. Taylor, A. Jones, Pierce, Swift , K. Miller, Hunt, Ford,
WR: Pittman, Deebo, Godwin, Ridley, Gabe Davis, E. Moore, Mooney, Toney, Q. Johnson
TE: Ferguson, Okonkwo L. Thomas

TheTroll
Legend
Legend

Postby TheTroll » Sat Nov 04, 2023 9:02 am

dmac37 wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 8:19 am Operative word in your statement is "finally" got out from QJ. He is a rookie and only a half year into his career. Some of the recent rookie stud WR's immediately going off has miss lead many to expect half a season make or break a prospect. I was not a huge fan of QJ mainly because of the body catching but very impressed with an interview that I heard him do and expect him to work hard to improve. With this combined with draft capital and situation, I'm betting wheels up in 2024.
I like this take. It’s more realistic. Wasn’t too long ago that rookie QBs held a clipboard for 3 years before sniffing the field. Rookie WRs gelled in their 3rd year too.
Team 1
Dynasty 10 team, 22 roster + 6 Taxi, PPR
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 Flex, 1 TE, K, Def

QB: Love, Goff, Fields
RB: Bijan, Montgomery, Kamara, Ford, K Herbert, Zeke, Mattison
WR: Jefferson, Olave, London, Ridley, Sutton, Shaheed
TE: Kincaid, Kittle, Freiermuth
K: Tucker, Sanders
DEF: CLE

Taxi: Charbs, K Mitchell, Demercado, QJ, D Douglas, W Robinson, Hooker

Picks
2024: 1.03, 3.06, 3.09, 4.09
2025: 2, 3, 3, 3, 4, 5
2026: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Team 2
Dynasty 10 team, 22 man roster + 6 Taxi, PPR, SF and TEP
1QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 Flex, 1 S Flex

QB: Allen, Goff, Watson, Jones
RB: K Williams, B Robinson, Chubb, Ford, Mostert, A Gibson, Dillon, Pierce, Zeke
WR: Olave, T Hill, Addison, D Adams, C Watson, D Johnson, G Davis, OBJ
TE: Kincaid, Kmet, Goedert

Taxi: Willis, DTR, Mims, K Miller, Demercado, Vaughn

Picks
2024: 1.08, 2.02
2025: 1, 3, 4, 5
2026: 1, 2, 2, 3, 4, 5