Over stepping commish?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Johnny B. Goode
Starter
Starter

Over stepping commish?

Postby Johnny B. Goode » Mon Oct 30, 2023 5:56 am

Best ball league. I had left Cooper Kupp on IR mistakenly for 2 weeks. I had Dionte Johnson on IR, which he was a last minute activation for the Steelers, he was left on my IR for one week

Commish makes a new rule. Calls it a safeguard, not a rule. He says if you leave someone on IR that player will be released from your team and not eligible for anyone else.

I had no intention on tanking. Was an honest mistake since I have several leagues and this particular one is not active, at all. I told the commish that making a new rule mid season was a BS move. I asked if I could be refunded.

Instead, he kicks me out of the league and steals my entry fee.

This commish posted this league on the DLF forum. So asking the forum if he had a right to do what he did

SteveMaddensShoes
Legend
Legend

Re: Over stepping commish?

Postby SteveMaddensShoes » Mon Oct 30, 2023 6:06 am

Not enough information here to make a call one way or the other, imo.
TEAM 1 - 12 man SF. ppr, TEP 1.65 ppr

11 starters - QB, RB(2) WR(3) TE, SF, Flex(3)

Stroud, Kyler, Bryce Young, Anthony Richardson, Minshew, Trey Lance, Dalton l, Mike White

Breece, Achane, AJ Dillon, Justice Hill, Evan Hull, Chris Rodgriquez

Chase, Lamb, Waddle, Olave, London Drake, Demario Davis, Jake Bobo

Kyle Pitts, Mark Andrews, Kincaid, Schoonmaker

24 picks - 1x2, 3,4,5

Team 2-
12 man SF, .25ppc, .5ppr rbs, 1 ppr wr, 1.5 ppr TE

Joe Burrow, Trevor Lawerence, Jake Haehner, Jake Browning

JT, Kendre Miller,, K Ingram, Ty Chandler, Michael Carter, Kenny Macintosh, Sean Tucker

Puka, Rondale, Mooney, Wan’dale, Terrace Marshall, DPJ, Justyn Ross, Xavier Hutchinson,

Kyle Pitts, Luke Musgrave, Juwan Johnson, Darnell Washington, Jelani Woods, Elijah Higgins

24 - 1st x 3, 2nd x 2, 4th x 3 ,5

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Mon Oct 30, 2023 6:10 am

That commish is a joke.

Sure, set your lineups and all that (I get this is bestball) but I have seen plenty of people stash guys on IR for an extra week or 2 before removing them. Most sites just don't let you make any other moves until the IR is clear. So, if there was no rule in place against that, you were not in the wrong.

Making a new rule mid-season is never a good idea unless its an emergency situation like 2020 or something or if the league unanimously agrees, then have at it. Then to kick you from the league while you have paid up and not refund you is just wrong.

Johnny B. Goode
Starter
Starter

Postby Johnny B. Goode » Mon Oct 30, 2023 6:16 am

To add, this teams roster is good. Bad luck with injuries. I was not tanking. In fact I wasn’t coming back next year so tanking doesn’t do anything for me.

He also kicked out the 2nd place team who called him on his BS and also asked for a refund (he is in 1st))

Bronco Billy
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Mon Oct 30, 2023 7:02 am

If all the information here is accurate - and I have no reason to think otherwise - I believe that you have 2 options:

1) Put this out in front of the rest of the league and have a vote to remove the commish (make sure you have the replacement set beforehand), or

2) Take the ejection as a lessons learned and just move on.

I’m guessing the current commish controls the league financials and access to league management controls, so removal would be very tricky and could end up with him walking away with everyone’s money as well as wrecking the league. He sounds fully capable of both.

You could file a small claims complaint to recover your dues, but is it worth your time to do so and where would the jurisdiction be? Guessing this path would be a futile gesture.

In any case, the rest of the league deserves to know what kind of person he is, unless you just don’t give a **** about them, in which case why are you playing in the first place?

Good luck whichever path you choose. I have a difficult time envisioning a good ending.

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Mon Oct 30, 2023 7:11 am

Johnny B. Goode wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 5:56 amBest ball league. I had left Cooper Kupp on IR mistakenly for 2 weeks.
Nobody mistakenly leaves a player on IR for two extra weeks if they go to the site to enter starting lineups. I admit that saying "nobody" is an exaggeration and maybe there can be some plausible deniability here.
Johnny B. Goode wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 5:56 amI had Dionte Johnson on IR, which he was a last minute activation for the Steelers, he was left on my IR for one week
Hmmmm, second incident. Less wiggle room for plausible deniability, but who knows.
Johnny B. Goode wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 5:56 amCommish makes a new rule. Calls it a safeguard, not a rule. He says if you leave someone on IR that player will be released from your team and not eligible for anyone else.
Clarification request: Did the commish take Kupp+DJ off your roster? Or did the commish say that future infractions would result in the dropping of the player?
Johnny B. Goode wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 5:56 amI had no intention on tanking. Was an honest mistake since I have several leagues and this particular one is not active, at all. I told the commish that making a new rule mid season was a BS move.
If no player had yet been removed from your team, I think your reaction was an overreaction. If no one else was leaving healthy players on IR, or if others were, this is a rule I think it hurts no one to implement mid season. I'm normally a no-inseason-changes guy, but this one literally hurts no one. Yeah, it would be better to lock the ability to set rosters and make transactions until the healthy player was taken off IR, but maybe the software doesn't allow it on that platform or setup.

For reference, I've been in a redraft league where in week 3 or 4, the commish pushed back the trading deadline back a week from week 10 to week 11. That's the kind of in-season change that is okay because it doesn't hurt anyone. Same as removing the cheat of the software allowing stashing of healthy players on IR.
Johnny B. Goode wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 5:56 amI asked if I could be refunded.
Again, if no players had been removed from your roster and you had no intention to leave healthy players on IR in the future, I think this was a huge overreaction on your part.
Johnny B. Goode wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 5:56 amInstead, he kicks me out of the league and steals my entry fee.
At this point, I think there was too much drama going on. As a commish, I hate petty drama. Hate it with a capital H. I'll kick out guys who constantly pick arguments with other managers, or who constantly whine about rules that hurt them each week or season. I'm not here to be a guy's therapist or police disagreements -- if I have a manager causing drama, I weed them out. Though usually after the season.

NOT SAYING YOU are that kind of guy. But I'm saying the commish could have made the decision to view you as a thorn in his side. And when your pal complained about you getting booted, he became a thorn as well. NOT SAYING YOU or the other guy deserved to be booted - just saying I can understand a commish wanting a league where everyone is happy, and not wanting malcontents to poison the well.

Maybe there are parts you left out and the commish is really a complete jerk. In the absence of that information, I have to vote on the side of an unfortunate overreaction leading to an unfortunate decision to prematurely kick out a manager.
TEAM 1:
12 Team ppr w/20 keepers - start 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1FLX 6IDP 1DEF
QB: Tua, Lamar, Levis
RB: Etienne, Pacheco, JavonteWms, JFord, CEH
WR: Lamb, JChase, Waddle, Pickens, MWilliams, Q Johnston
TE: Goedert, Friermuth
DEF: Cowboys, Ravens
IDP:(LB) Bolton, Greenlaw; (DE/DL) ZCollins, BJHill; (S/CB) Pitre, Bates, Witherspoon
2023 & 2022 Champion: 2020 third place: 2019 Champion

TEAM 2:
14 Team 30roster SF/ppr/TEP - QB/RB/WR/TE/5FLX/SF
QB: Tua, CJStroud, Carr, AOC, MWhite, Lock
RB: Etienne, Stevenson, GusE, AJD, Singletary, CEH, Spiller
WR: Amon-Ra, Kirk, Dell, Thielen, Gallup, Ch Jones
TE: Andrews, Waller, Taysom, Smythe, WMallory, JOliver
2023 semifinals loser

BellCow
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby BellCow » Mon Oct 30, 2023 7:19 am

^^^ Anteaters is touching on what I was thinking but would love to hear if OP has any clarifications.

Bronco Billy
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Mon Oct 30, 2023 7:32 am

Anteaters wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 7:11 am
Johnny B. Goode wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 5:56 amBest ball league. I had left Cooper Kupp on IR mistakenly for 2 weeks.
Nobody mistakenly leaves a player on IR for two extra weeks if they go to the site to enter starting lineups. I admit that saying "nobody" is an exaggeration and maybe there can be some plausible deniability here.
Johnny B. Goode wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 5:56 amI had Dionte Johnson on IR, which he was a last minute activation for the Steelers, he was left on my IR for one week
Hmmmm, second incident. Less wiggle room for plausible deniability, but who knows.
Johnny B. Goode wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 5:56 amCommish makes a new rule. Calls it a safeguard, not a rule. He says if you leave someone on IR that player will be released from your team and not eligible for anyone else.
Clarification request: Did the commish take Kupp+DJ off your roster? Or did the commish say that future infractions would result in the dropping of the player?
Johnny B. Goode wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 5:56 amI had no intention on tanking. Was an honest mistake since I have several leagues and this particular one is not active, at all. I told the commish that making a new rule mid season was a BS move.
If no player had yet been removed from your team, I think your reaction was an overreaction. If no one else was leaving healthy players on IR, or if others were, this is a rule I think it hurts no one to implement mid season. I'm normally a no-inseason-changes guy, but this one literally hurts no one. Yeah, it would be better to lock the ability to set rosters and make transactions until the healthy player was taken off IR, but maybe the software doesn't allow it on that platform or setup.

For reference, I've been in a redraft league where in week 3 or 4, the commish pushed back the trading deadline back a week from week 10 to week 11. That's the kind of in-season change that is okay because it doesn't hurt anyone. Same as removing the cheat of the software allowing stashing of healthy players on IR.
Again, if no players had been removed from your roster and you had no intention to leave healthy players on IR in the future, I think this was a huge overreaction on your part.
Johnny B. Goode wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 5:56 amInstead, he kicks me out of the league and steals my entry fee.
At this point, I think there was too much drama going on. As a commish, I hate petty drama. Hate it with a capital H. I'll kick out guys who constantly pick arguments with other managers, or who constantly whine about rules that hurt them each week or season. I'm not here to be a guy's therapist or police disagreements -- if I have a manager causing drama, I weed them out. Though usually after the season.

NOT SAYING YOU are that kind of guy. But I'm saying the commish could have made the decision to view you as a thorn in his side. And when your pal complained about you getting booted, he became a thorn as well. NOT SAYING YOU or the other guy deserved to be booted - just saying I can understand a commish wanting a league where everyone is happy, and not wanting malcontents to poison the well.

Maybe there are parts you left out and the commish is really a complete jerk. In the absence of that information, I have to vote on the side of an unfortunate overreaction leading to an unfortunate decision to prematurely kick out a manager.
Man, I respectfully really disagree with your positions here.

Any commish who unilaterally initiates a rule midseason and then kicks out anyone who disagrees with them should not be a commish. This was a scenario that could have easily been envisioned when league rules were created and it’s a commish’s job to establish either rules that deal with it or initiate conversation with the league so that a rule is created - before the league ever starts play.

Was there some lack of management going on by the owner(s) in question? Absolutely. But if anyone overreacted it was the commish IMO. Just unilaterally instituting a rule midseason is always unjustified. If league conversation occurs that creates a rule midseason with the league’s blessing regarding an overlooked unusual event, I get that but that is not the case in any manner here.

This is just really really poor commishing by a guy who shouldn’t have the position. They escalated a situation that shouldn’t have happened in the first place and then should have been easy to resolve IMO.

Johnny B. Goode
Starter
Starter

Postby Johnny B. Goode » Mon Oct 30, 2023 7:38 am

It’s a best ball league. You don’t enter lineups. I didn’t think I had anyone on IR. I have many teams

This league is my least active, so yeah I don’t check it once a week. I can own that as being my problem, and maybe I shouldn’t be in that many leagues. But this is a real inexpensive league with only 2-3 active owners. It’s pretty demoralizing to try and be active. I can honestly say I had no intentions on tanking.

The red flag for me should have been the commish approves all trades. I should never have joined a league where the commish has a need for that much power? And hides behind the “league integrity” shield by doing so.

Lesson learned for me for sure going forward. Could I have handled it better? Sure. Should the commish have been making rules unilaterally and then kicking me out? Heck no. And I am good dying on that hill

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Mon Oct 30, 2023 7:57 am

Yeah the fact that its bestball and there isnt much activity makes it a lot easier to miss an IR player being active. Likely just have to take this on the chin I guess

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Mon Oct 30, 2023 7:59 am

Bronco Billy wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 7:32 am

Man, I respectfully really disagree with your positions here.

Any commish who unilaterally initiates a rule midseason and then kicks out anyone who disagrees with them should not be a commish. This was a scenario that could have easily been envisioned when league rules were created and it’s a commish’s job to establish either rules that deal with it or initiate conversation with the league so that a rule is created - before the league ever starts play.

Was there some lack of management going on by the owner(s) in question? Absolutely. But if anyone overreacted it was the commish IMO. Just unilaterally instituting a rule midseason is always unjustified. If league conversation occurs that creates a rule midseason with the league’s blessing regarding an overlooked unusual event, I get that but that is not the case in any manner here.

This is just really really poor commishing by a guy who shouldn’t have the position. They escalated a situation that shouldn’t have happened in the first place and then should have been easy to resolve IMO.
Right, a couple warnings by the commish or something would have resolved this. The drama was created by the commish here

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Mon Oct 30, 2023 8:24 am

I should be surprised anyone is alright with blatant theft but there are a few around here that will try to justify anything. Stealing is a ridiculous position to take on any level and quite shameful.

The owner may be completely terrible for not paying attention but the Commish is even worse if he made up a new rule to steal money. The Commish could have easily taken the player off IR before taking draconian mid season measures.

Kicking a player out in mid season is one thing but blatant theft is quite another.
Basic life rule people: Two wrongs do not make a right.

The owner should be given his entry fee back.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

TheTroll
Legend
Legend

Postby TheTroll » Mon Oct 30, 2023 8:59 am

Ice wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 8:24 am I should be surprised anyone is alright with blatant theft but there are a few around here that will try to justify anything. Stealing is a ridiculous position to take on any level and quite shameful.

The owner may be completely terrible for not paying attention but the Commish is even worse if he made up a new rule to steal money. The Commish could have easily taken the player off IR before taking draconian mid season measures.

Kicking a player out in mid season is one thing but blatant theft is quite another.
Basic life rule people: Two wrongs do not make a right.

The owner should be given his entry fee back.

this i agree with. we all want rules to govern, but a commish has the right to "undo the wrong" so the scoring and standings are accurate. The commish jumped to a place unnecessarily IMO (unless there is more to this story than what has been aid so far).
Team 1
Dynasty 10 team, 22 roster + 6 Taxi, PPR
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 Flex, 1 TE, K, Def

QB: Love, Goff, Fields
RB: Bijan, Montgomery, Kamara, Ford, K Herbert, Zeke, Mattison
WR: Jefferson, Olave, London, Ridley, Sutton, Shaheed
TE: Kincaid, Kittle, Freiermuth
K: Tucker, Sanders
DEF: CLE

Taxi: Charbs, K Mitchell, Demercado, QJ, D Douglas, W Robinson, Hooker

Picks
2024: 1.03, 3.06, 3.09, 4.09
2025: 2, 3, 3, 3, 4, 5
2026: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Team 2
Dynasty 10 team, 22 man roster + 6 Taxi, PPR, SF and TEP
1QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 Flex, 1 S Flex

QB: Allen, Goff, Watson, Jones
RB: K Williams, B Robinson, Chubb, Ford, Mostert, A Gibson, Dillon, Pierce, Zeke
WR: Olave, T Hill, Addison, D Adams, C Watson, D Johnson, G Davis, OBJ
TE: Kincaid, Kmet, Goedert

Taxi: Willis, DTR, Mims, K Miller, Demercado, Vaughn

Picks
2024: 1.08, 2.02
2025: 1, 3, 4, 5
2026: 1, 2, 2, 3, 4, 5

IR1
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby IR1 » Mon Oct 30, 2023 11:14 am

Don't agree with new rules mid season, unless the entire league agrees? I took over and we have several teams with players on IR no longer eligible. So far, all have made changes when I messaged. It's been a low key league in the past, but I think we'll need to update some rules as we don't have anything regarding IR, tanking, etc.
10Team PPR-QB/RB/WR/WR/TE/PK/flex-DT/DE/DE/LB/LB/LB/CB/CB/S/S/flex
QB- Herbert, Tua
RB- Barkley, Swift, Montgomery, Dobbins, Walker
WR-Adams, ARSB, JWilliams, Godwin, Metcalf, Allen, Kirk, Flowers
TE- Kelce, Goedert
PK
DT- Buckner, Simmons, QWilliams,
DE- Hunter, JBosa, Thibodeaux, JPHillips, Rousseau, Paye, Greenard
LB- Edmunds, Warner, E Kendricks, Wagner, De"Vondre Campbell, Asamoah, Sanders
CB- Moore, Howard, Reed
S- Dugger, Pitre, Thompson
IR Dobbins, Dulcich
Taxi- Kincaid, QJohnston

SteveMaddensShoes
Legend
Legend

Postby SteveMaddensShoes » Mon Oct 30, 2023 11:59 am

As long as we only hear one side of this story then it’s obv it seems unjust. I try not to have strong opinions when all I hear is one side of a story.

I think OP should call out commish if they are on this board and get it all out in the open if they want to hear our unbiased opinions.

No one would want to play in a league that is run like that if there is nothing else to add to the story.
TEAM 1 - 12 man SF. ppr, TEP 1.65 ppr

11 starters - QB, RB(2) WR(3) TE, SF, Flex(3)

Stroud, Kyler, Bryce Young, Anthony Richardson, Minshew, Trey Lance, Dalton l, Mike White

Breece, Achane, AJ Dillon, Justice Hill, Evan Hull, Chris Rodgriquez

Chase, Lamb, Waddle, Olave, London Drake, Demario Davis, Jake Bobo

Kyle Pitts, Mark Andrews, Kincaid, Schoonmaker

24 picks - 1x2, 3,4,5

Team 2-
12 man SF, .25ppc, .5ppr rbs, 1 ppr wr, 1.5 ppr TE

Joe Burrow, Trevor Lawerence, Jake Haehner, Jake Browning

JT, Kendre Miller,, K Ingram, Ty Chandler, Michael Carter, Kenny Macintosh, Sean Tucker

Puka, Rondale, Mooney, Wan’dale, Terrace Marshall, DPJ, Justyn Ross, Xavier Hutchinson,

Kyle Pitts, Luke Musgrave, Juwan Johnson, Darnell Washington, Jelani Woods, Elijah Higgins

24 - 1st x 3, 2nd x 2, 4th x 3 ,5