Managing League Departures

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Prison_Mike
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Managing League Departures

Postby Prison_Mike » Tue Oct 24, 2023 6:14 am

Sorry, I don't know the proper place for this thread. It's specific to me but it's also a general question to those that have more experience.

I'll get into the specifics for those who are interested in additional context, but my general question here is: what to do with a league you know you'll more than likely be leaving? AND what to do as a commissioner if you have an owner who you know will be leaving? Kick them out now so that the next guy can build the team the way they want? Or let them play it out for the year (provided they're active, setting their best lineup, etc.)

League 1

This is a Dynasty league where I'm the commissioner. I was in trade talks with a manager where I was interested in Puka. After some back and forth, he said "to be completely forthcoming, I'm trying to keep some key assets to make the team more attractive. I am out after this season due to a couple of reasons."

I just said okay, thinking "he's paid his league dues for the year and has friends in this league, seems to want to play it out with them for the year. No problem."

I guess I'm just curious if that's poor management, considering the next person could be getting a jump on moving those assets around this year?

League 2

This is a keeper league that I am planning on leaving. There have just been a lot of shenanigans involving the commissioner's trades over the past year. Most of them are "fine" on value but they just don't really pass the smell test. Traded Jacobs for Dobbins and a 1st....(a keeper 1st is equivalent of a redraft 4th), traded Kupp for Chase straight up 2 weeks ago, traded Waddle+C.Watson to a guy who barely sets his lineup for Justin Jefferson.

There has been a lot of league drama over his trades and I know if I bow out now, it would likely encourage a few others to do the same mid-season. My team is 0-7 despite being 1st in FantasyPros' ROS rankings all season long lol. The only way to improve this team would be to sell for picks, since all but 3 players will be reset next year. Do I bow out now so that another manager can keep/sell who they want? Wait til end of season?

CGW
Legend
Legend

Re: Managing Dynasty Departures

Postby CGW » Tue Oct 24, 2023 6:20 am

If someone has paid for the year, I can't see kicking them out mid year. I would not let them move future draft picks unless they've paid ahead.

We have a similar situation where a team has resigned because people criticized a terrible trade he made. We didn't veto it, but he undid the trade himself and resigned. He then stated he would trade anything on his roster for assets to help him win this year. This league does not pay in advance for future draft picks and we are allowed to trade two years ahead (2024 and 2025 currently).

My stance is that he can do whatever he wants to his roster, but those future picks aren't his the moment he stated his intention to resign as he has not paid the dues for them.

Prison_Mike
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Prison_Mike » Tue Oct 24, 2023 6:25 am

CGW wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 6:20 am If someone has paid for the year, I can't see kicking them out mid year. I would not let them move future draft picks unless they've paid ahead.

We have a similar situation where a team has resigned because people criticized a terrible trade he made. We didn't veto it, but he undid the trade himself and resigned. He then stated he would trade anything on his roster for assets to help him win this year. This league does not pay in advance for future draft picks and we are allowed to trade two years ahead (2024 and 2025 currently).

My stance is that he can do whatever he wants to his roster, but those future picks aren't his the moment he stated his intention to resign as he has not paid the dues for them.
That makes sense. We do pay for future picks in this league. But you're saying you'd block any trade where he's sending future picks, regardless of whether he pays for them? (I'm about 99% sure he won't be trading away his picks anyway, he's been doing the opposite, selling players for picks)

tstafford
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Managing League Departures

Postby tstafford » Tue Oct 24, 2023 6:27 am

Two totally different situations IMO.

League 1 - If the manager paid, you wait it out until they affirmatively quit. Maybe they change their mind or whatever. Nothing to do there. You are privy to information only because of the trade inquiry. Other managers might be doing the same thing. I'd for sure leave it alone.

League 2 - I'd ask the commish what they prefer. If they want to find a new owner now, great. If not, you act as a good steward until the end of the playing season and bow out immediately.

tstafford
GOAT
GOAT

Postby tstafford » Tue Oct 24, 2023 6:28 am

Prison_Mike wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 6:25 am
CGW wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 6:20 am If someone has paid for the year, I can't see kicking them out mid year. I would not let them move future draft picks unless they've paid ahead.

That makes sense. We do pay for future picks in this league. But you're saying you'd block any trade where he's sending future picks, regardless of whether he pays for them? (I'm about 99% sure he won't be trading away his picks anyway, he's been doing the opposite, selling players for picks)
I wouldn't block any trades unless you know there is collusion. And if there is then I'd boot both managers.

Prison_Mike
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Prison_Mike » Tue Oct 24, 2023 6:34 am

tstafford wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 6:27 am Two totally different situations IMO.

League 1 - If the manager paid, you wait it out until they affirmatively quit. Maybe they change their mind or whatever. Nothing to do there. You are privy to information only because of the trade inquiry. Other managers might be doing the same thing. I'd for sure leave it alone.

League 2 - I'd ask the commish what they prefer. If they want to find a new owner now, great. If not, you act as a good steward until the end of the playing season and bow out immediately.
Definitely different situations

1 - That's fair, I did consider that he could change his mind. Highly unlikely, as his main reason was he's having a child. But you're right, he's paid and has the right to decide and announce publicly that he's leaving

2 - I'm afraid you're probably right there too. I try to avoid even talking to the dude. But I guess it has to be done

YouMightDieTryin
MVP
MVP

Postby YouMightDieTryin » Tue Oct 24, 2023 6:38 am

League 1:
Do you have a known manager ready to fill the slot? I'd see if they, with permission of the current manager, wanted to comanage the team. It allows a little of both to play their game.

League 2:
I'd just play it out as if you were returning to the team. You always have great team integrity built into your squads Mike so anyone inheriting the team should be in decent shape to move whatever direction they choose.

Prison_Mike
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Prison_Mike » Tue Oct 24, 2023 6:50 am

YouMightDieTryin wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 6:38 am League 1:
Do you have a known manager ready to fill the slot? I'd see if they, with permission of the current manager, wanted to comanage the team. It allows a little of both to play their game.

League 2:
I'd just play it out as if you were returning to the team. You always have great team integrity built into your squads Mike so anyone inheriting the team should be in decent shape to move whatever direction they choose.
1 - This is a great idea. I don't currently, but could discuss it with him and look for one.

2 - Thank you. And yeah, I figure my team has pretty obvious keepers (ARSB, Hall, and one of Hurts/Puka), so trading away the remaining pieces (Saquon, Gibbs, DJM, Ridley) for picks shouldn't hurt the next manager at all, considering if I hold, they'd lose them for nothing