Christan Watson Value?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Re: Christan Watson Value?

Postby Sriracha » Sat Oct 14, 2023 1:17 pm

Kurtrambis1 wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 12:55 pm
prinefan wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 10:20 am I have both on different teams and it's Walker by a mile.
Agree. I would need a significant piece on top of Watson to move Walker for him. a top 3 2024 pick.

Watson's career arc feels similar to Claypool as of now. His TD rate was unsustainable last season and it vaulted him up the dynasty ranks. In his short career, he has struggled with injuries and now has a downgrade in QB. This year is Walker and Dynasty is Walker.
:crazy:

That's a lot to extrapolate from 2 games coming back from a hamstring injury.

SoftwoodGrampian
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby SoftwoodGrampian » Sat Oct 14, 2023 1:24 pm

Watson is worth Couple 2nds maybe

Kurtrambis1
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby Kurtrambis1 » Sat Oct 14, 2023 2:40 pm

Sriracha wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 1:17 pm
Kurtrambis1 wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 12:55 pm
prinefan wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 10:20 am I have both on different teams and it's Walker by a mile.
Agree. I would need a significant piece on top of Watson to move Walker for him. a top 3 2024 pick.

Watson's career arc feels similar to Claypool as of now. His TD rate was unsustainable last season and it vaulted him up the dynasty ranks. In his short career, he has struggled with injuries and now has a downgrade in QB. This year is Walker and Dynasty is Walker.
:crazy:

That's a lot to extrapolate from 2 games coming back from a hamstring injury.
In a little over 1 year in the league he has 4 injuries. Could be nothing but it should definitely be something to aware of. He could very easily grow out of it, but his hamstring issues go back into college.

The Claypool comparison is speaking to both being a very good athletes overvalued their rookie year due to unsustainable TD numbers. Claypool disappointed his sophomore year against expectations and it seems to be going similarly for Watson. I think that’s where it ends and I don’t think Watson will be traded twice before his rookie deal ends.
12 Team PPR League, 25 Man Rosters, 2 Taxi Squad
Start QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, WR, TE, FLEX, FLEX

QB- Murray, Lawrence, Mayfield
RB- Montgomery, Javonte Williams, Najee Harris, Jamaal Williams, Carter, Joshua Kelly, Trayveon Williams, Eli Mitchell
WR- J. Jefferson, Tyreek, D. Smith, Tank Dell, Curtis Samuel, Hollywood Brown, Renfrow, Rashee Rice
TE- Pitts, Ferguson, Higbee

Taxi-Kraft

Picks
24=1st, 2nd, 3rd, 3rd, 4th, 5th
25= 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Sat Oct 14, 2023 3:36 pm

Kurtrambis1 wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 2:40 pm In a little over 1 year in the league he has 4 injuries. Could be nothing but it should definitely be something to aware of. He could very easily grow out of it, but his hamstring issues go back into college.

The Claypool comparison is speaking to both being a very good athletes overvalued their rookie year due to unsustainable TD numbers. Claypool disappointed his sophomore year against expectations and it seems to be going similarly for Watson. I think that’s where it ends and I don’t think Watson will be traded twice before his rookie deal ends.
I just don't see how you can draw this conclusion at this point in time without making a lot of assumptions. Maybe he ends up disappointing but I definitely don't think you can say that right now after 2 games; 1 of which he was on a snap count and the other his QB threw for 182 total yards and he had 91 of them while being the most targeted WR.

I'd argue that Claypool failed largely because of his immaturity, anyway. Watson by all accounts is a hardworker with a good head on his shoulders.

We'll see what happens. Definitely possible that we look back on this and make the Claypool comparison but at the moment it's just lazy pattern matching. :thumbsup:

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Sat Oct 14, 2023 4:03 pm

SoftwoodGrampian wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 1:24 pm Watson is worth Couple 2nds maybe
It is obvious you don't own Watson. Only a very inexperience dynasty owner would move their Watson share for that at this point.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Sat Oct 14, 2023 4:46 pm

Ice wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 4:03 pm
SoftwoodGrampian wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 1:24 pm Watson is worth Couple 2nds maybe
It is obvious you don't own Watson. Only a very inexperience dynasty owner would move their Watson share for that at this point.
Maybe it's a joke about what the Packers paid to draft him (2 2nds)

But yes you're correct that that's unders on the value as it currently stands

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Sat Oct 14, 2023 5:02 pm

Piling on for Walker. Watson has been better than I expected, though I think Walker is closer to being elite at his position than Watson is. So, pretty easy call.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sat Oct 14, 2023 5:35 pm

mild wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 4:46 pm

Watson needs to get much better at his routes if he's going to excel. As an ex player pointed out the other day, he loses speed out of his break on deep routes, especially when he looks back. It was a great point, he needs to be able to accelerate through that cut on his post. His hands have always been spotty. He plays small. That INT at the end of the game, while under thrown, needed to be broken up at worst. He let a 5 ft 8 DB box him out.

He's got some really top end potential, but he's still an incomplete package, and he's not that young for a 2nd year guy. I hope he can put it together a bit more, because he could really be a lethal WR, albeit on a select amount of routes. You really only need to run 4 or 5 routes really well, with his type of physical ability, to be a force. Hope he can put it together.

I have an issue with the overall plan GB is instituting, in that they have no vets of significance on offense. It's the blind leading the blind, so to speak. You'd figure bringing up a QB for a few years, they'd give him some veteran presence, that could run precise routes, and catch routine balls.....routinely (Doubs...cough, cough). I expected this year with Love and you Young Ones (Sounds like a 70's funk band), to be really hit and miss, as they are all learning on the job.

I think the Packers brass got it wrong. They don't need a big personality, but a guy like Thielen (look at what he's doing for Bryce, and how bad it would be for Bryce without him) would have been a smart move, to give someone for the QB and the WR's to have as a stabilizing factor.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Kurtrambis1
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby Kurtrambis1 » Sat Oct 14, 2023 7:10 pm

Sriracha wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 3:36 pm
Kurtrambis1 wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 2:40 pm In a little over 1 year in the league he has 4 injuries. Could be nothing but it should definitely be something to aware of. He could very easily grow out of it, but his hamstring issues go back into college.

I just don't see how you can draw this conclusion at this point in time without making a lot of assumptions. Maybe he ends up disappointing but I definitely don't think you can say that right now after 2 games; 1 of which he was on a snap count and the other his QB threw for 182 total yards and he had 91 of them while being the most targeted WR.

I'd argue that Claypool failed largely because of his immaturity, anyway. Watson by all accounts is a hardworker with a good head on his shoulders.

We'll see what happens. Definitely possible that we look back on this and make the Claypool comparison but at the moment it's just lazy pattern matching. :thumbsup:
Watson definitely seems like a better person than Claypool off the field and I hope he succeeds. Both rely on the big plays to get their stats. Neither of them is a target hog.They are a boom or bust players who need TDs to get to WR2 numbers.

You’re keep saying after two games and I understand why, but you are ignoring his inability to be available. His inability to stay on the field will impact/ is impacting his value. This is where my strongest comparison to Claypool (dynasty value) stems from. As rookies both had promising seasons with unsustainable TD production vaulting their value. As sophomores, Claypools TD production declined leading to lower value. Watson’s TD production will also decline (even if he plays) and his value is dipping because he didn’t see the field for 3 games.
12 Team PPR League, 25 Man Rosters, 2 Taxi Squad
Start QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, WR, TE, FLEX, FLEX

QB- Murray, Lawrence, Mayfield
RB- Montgomery, Javonte Williams, Najee Harris, Jamaal Williams, Carter, Joshua Kelly, Trayveon Williams, Eli Mitchell
WR- J. Jefferson, Tyreek, D. Smith, Tank Dell, Curtis Samuel, Hollywood Brown, Renfrow, Rashee Rice
TE- Pitts, Ferguson, Higbee

Taxi-Kraft

Picks
24=1st, 2nd, 3rd, 3rd, 4th, 5th
25= 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Sun Oct 15, 2023 7:23 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 5:35 pm

Watson needs to get much better at his routes if he's going to excel. As an ex player pointed out the other day, he loses speed out of his break on deep routes, especially when he looks back. It was a great point, he needs to be able to accelerate through that cut on his post. His hands have always been spotty. He plays small. That INT at the end of the game, while under thrown, needed to be broken up at worst. He let a 5 ft 8 DB box him out.

He's got some really top end potential, but he's still an incomplete package, and he's not that young for a 2nd year guy. I hope he can put it together a bit more, because he could really be a lethal WR, albeit on a select amount of routes. You really only need to run 4 or 5 routes really well, with his type of physical ability, to be a force. Hope he can put it together.

I have an issue with the overall plan GB is instituting, in that they have no vets of significance on offense. It's the blind leading the blind, so to speak. You'd figure bringing up a QB for a few years, they'd give him some veteran presence, that could run precise routes, and catch routine balls.....routinely (Doubs...cough, cough). I expected this year with Love and you Young Ones (Sounds like a 70's funk band), to be really hit and miss, as they are all learning on the job.

I think the Packers brass got it wrong. They don't need a big personality, but a guy like Thielen (look at what he's doing for Bryce, and how bad it would be for Bryce without him) would have been a smart move, to give someone for the QB and the WR's to have as a stabilizing factor.
No doubt Watson lacked big school experience in college and has a learning curve but I should point out he only has 13 career starts in the NFL and already has 10 TD's with a career average of 15.8 Yards per reception.

Watson is just getting started in this league and is a significant weapon. GB has a long history of hitting on WR's. Watson has produced much faster than normal for the Packers. Adams broke out in year 3, Nelson in year 4, and Driver in year 4 going back a few years.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Sun Oct 15, 2023 10:06 am

Ice wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 7:23 am

No doubt Watson lacked big school experience in college and has a learning curve but I should point out he only has 13 career starts in the NFL and already has 10 TD's with a career average of 15.8 Yards per reception.

Watson is just getting started in this league and is a significant weapon. GB has a long history of hitting on WR's. Watson has produced much faster than normal for the Packers. Adams broke out in year 3, Nelson in year 4, and Driver in year 4 going back a few years.
More importantly, Watson comes from a school that ran the ball nearly 70% of the time. So not only was he going up against FCS competition he also came into the NFL with less game day reps than most guys that leave after their Junior years and (very likely) less practice reps than a lot of Sophomore WRs.

You can visibily see how much he's improved as a route runner since his rookie year training camp. Where he stops growing is anyone's guess but he's a smart guy (39 wonderlic) with a good attitude and elite physical traits. I'd expect him to continue to develop.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sun Oct 15, 2023 6:23 pm

Ice wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 7:23 am

All good points. I would hope that the Love extension was really an opportunity to give this offense a 2 year window, as it's needed. The Packers tend to be patient, and don't make rash decisions, and I fully expected this season to be very up and down with so much youth and lack of experience. Hopefully they can get more consistent and build rapport into next year. The money they'd save on that Love contract for next year, they need to put into the OL, and perhaps get a RB with some explosiveness, as Jones seems to be wearing down, as good as he has been.

Swift, Gibson, a few options for them in FA, for a West coast style RB with explosion and pass catching ability. Not saying the move on from Jones, but if he misses time, they don't have anything to replace his role with, and it really showed Monday night.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick