Roster upside RBs over meh WRs?

General discussion and team advice concerning Redraft & Keeper leagues.
Prison_Mike
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Roster upside RBs over meh WRs?

Postby Prison_Mike » Fri Sep 22, 2023 7:15 am

In my work league (12tm PPR 1QB redraft), I've got a solid team that should be a great team once Kupp & JT return.

There are two guys sitting on waivers that I feel like I should pick up - (Kendre Miller and Tyjae Spears). The contingent upside RB play is one I often try to employ in dynasty, but I'm having trouble gauging the importance of depth in redraft.

Is there any reason to hold guys like Rashid Shaheed, Elijah Moore and Jakobi Meyers, knowing they likely wouldn't start for me barring an injury?

Here's my team + starting requirements:

QB: Geno
RB: Breece
RB: Swift
WR: Ridley
WR: Aiyuk
FLX: Puka

Bench: Moss, Warren, Addison, Meyers, E.Moore, Shaheed
IR: Kupp, JT

As you can see, we only start 2WRs and 1 flex, so studs are important (trades are near impossible)

Thoughts?

Paul717
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Re: Roster upside RBs over meh WRs?

Postby Paul717 » Fri Sep 22, 2023 7:27 am

Prison_Mike wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 7:15 am In my work league (12tm PPR 1QB redraft), I've got a solid team that should be a great team once Kupp & JT return.

There are two guys sitting on waivers that I feel like I should pick up - (Kendre Miller and Tyjae Spears). The contingent upside RB play is one I often try to employ in dynasty, but I'm having trouble gauging the importance of depth in redraft.

Is there any reason to hold guys like Rashid Shaheed, Elijah Moore and Jakobi Meyers, knowing they likely wouldn't start for me barring an injury?

As you can see, we only start 2WRs and 1 flex, so studs are important (trades are near impossible)

Thoughts?
Great question. My 2 cents: Yes!

Seems like WR production can almost always be found on the waiver wire in a league that size. Whereas if these RBs produce or their situations change for the better, they'll be scooped up quickly.

It will be interesting to look back on a guy like Shaheed at the end of 2023. He'll probably have like 4-5 super useful games, and several where you wish you didn't start him. The problem is, you can't reliably predict when the great games will be.
"Marathon Square" - 16 team full PPR league with 24 player roster. Keep 16 per year indefinitely, draft 8. Start 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 K, 1 Team DST
QB: Jordan Love, Deshaun Watson
RB: Travis Etienne, Aaron Jones, Jamaal Williams, Kendre Miller, Jaleel McLaughlin, Sean Tucker, Deuce Vaughn
WR: A.J. Brown, Garrett Wilson, Tee Higgins, Calvin Ridley, Michael Wilson, Kendrick Bourne, Tutu Atwell, Allen Lazard, Isaiah Hodgins, Justin Shorter
TE: T.J. Hockenson, Cole Kmet, Kylen Granson
K: Didn't make the playoffs in 2023 :cry: , and don't usually hold one in the offseason
Team DST: Cowboys, Lions

Picks:
2024: 1.06, 2.06, 4.06, 5.06, 6.06, 7.06, 8.06

Disclaimer: My one and only Championship in this league was way back in 2011. Therefore, take my replies with the appropriate grain of salt. :lol:

Prison_Mike
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Re: Roster upside RBs over meh WRs?

Postby Prison_Mike » Fri Sep 22, 2023 7:36 am

Paul717 wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 7:27 am
Prison_Mike wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 7:15 am In my work league (12tm PPR 1QB redraft), I've got a solid team that should be a great team once Kupp & JT return.

Thoughts?
Great question. My 2 cents: Yes!

Seems like WR production can almost always be found on the waiver wire in a league that size. Whereas if these RBs produce or their situations change for the better, they'll be scooped up quickly.

It will be interesting to look back on a guy like Shaheed at the end of 2023. He'll probably have like 4-5 super useful games, and several where you wish you didn't start him. The problem is, you can't reliably predict when the great games will be.
Yeah, Shaheed is more of a dynasty play for me. I've got him in my 2 main dff leagues. He's clearly 3rd in the pecking order but good lord does he make the most of his targets. If he ever gets volume, look out

But I agree. I'll go ahead and drop Shaheed for Spears.

Dropping one of Meyers/Moore is the more difficult decision for me. Meyers had a huge Wk1, but I have no idea whether that's sustainable. Moore is getting targets, but A) is doing very little with them and B) Watson looks terrible lol...so..I guess drop Moore?