Puka Nacua

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
DJB
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Re: Puka Nacua

Postby DJB » Thu Jan 04, 2024 4:52 pm

wickerkat1212 wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 3:37 pm For ALL rookies? Has to be top five, right?
Definitely top 5. I think I have him 1.03 right after Harrison and Nabers and before Odunze
Follow me on Twitter @NickDynastyff

CGW
Legend
Legend

Postby CGW » Thu Jan 04, 2024 4:59 pm

DJB wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 4:52 pm
wickerkat1212 wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 3:37 pm For ALL rookies? Has to be top five, right?
Definitely top 5. I think I have him 1.03 right after Harrison and Nabers and before Odunze
I think this is where I am at. Harrison and Nabers are special. Odunze could be too.

MacDaddy123
MVP
MVP

Postby MacDaddy123 » Thu Jan 04, 2024 5:35 pm

CGW wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 5:51 am
MacDaddy123 wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 9:37 pm
Also, Addison and JSN rankings are no more delusional that Olave and Garrett Wilson rankings, IMO.
Care to explain? Both Olave and Garrett Wilson were highly regarded prospects, who both hit 1k yards as rookies, and then followed up with an even better seasons as sophomores despite trash situations. They have both been seeing primary coverages for two seasons and working as their respective team's WR1. Just one year ago there was an exact replica of this thought process over in the CeeDee Lamb thread. While neither Wilson or Olave have Dak, it wouldn't take much to improve upon their situations.

Addison and JSN do seem slightly over rated to me based on not hitting high end production as rookies. That said, I don't feel they should be significant dropped because both are very talented and will be not only fantasy relevant but worth more at some point in the future than they are today.

All that said Puka deserves to be above or with these guys without a question. I do think there's a chance we just saw one of his better seasons (mainly because I don't see Stafford, the king maker, playing too many more), but what he's done can't me ignored. He slides into that WR7-12 pretty comfortably and think the KTC has a really good top 11 right now.

Also, I'll throw this out there - ADP is something I rarely worry about other than in startups where I am comparing players or when I'm looking for "buy lows" that the overall market has rated below the value I think is appropriate. I think trying to split hairs between WR7 and WR10 is pretty pointless.
As rookies, Wilson averaged 12.7 PPR PPG, and Olave averaged 13.2 PPR PPG.
Addison averaged 12.9 PPR PPG, was averaging 15.8 PPR PPG until Cousins was injured.
Wilson and Olave have both said that JSN was a better WR than them in college.

Neither Addison or JSN are ranked higher than Wilson or Olave, so just looking at those numbers, to say that if Addison and JSN are over-rated, so are Wilson and Olave too. One cannot be true without the other being true.
Addison has won the Biletnikoff Award, as best WR in college, none of the OSU WR's have done that.
Addison made Kenny Pickett a 1st round pick in the NFL Draft.
Caleb Williams also struggled a bit this season without Addison.

How can all of these facts just be ignored?

Personally, I felt that Wilson was legit after his rookie season, but that Olave was being overvalued.
I felt that Olave was over-valued due to his advanced metrics on PlayerProfiler, which showed that the only place that Olave truly excelled at was Opportunity. His Productivity and Efficiency numbers sagged below average.

So for one to buy in on Olave, one has to believe that the Saints will not draft a replacement for MT in the next 8 years, which could cut into Olave's excellent opportunity numbers.

I believe that Saints will draft another top WR to compete with Olave's numbers within the next 2 years.

Wilson's profile was much stronger, as he did not display weakness, or below average performance in any area of his advanced metrics.
I still have Wilson in a couple leagues, and even acquired him in another league this season.
I sold both of my Olave shares after the 2022 season, and I do not regret it at all.

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Thu Jan 04, 2024 5:36 pm

MacDaddy123 wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 5:35 pm
Also, Addison and JSN rankings are no more delusional that Olave and Garrett Wilson rankings, IMO.
Care to explain? Both Olave and Garrett Wilson were highly regarded prospects, who both hit 1k yards as rookies, and then followed up with an even better seasons as sophomores despite trash situations. They have both been seeing primary coverages for two seasons and working as their respective team's WR1. Just one year ago there was an exact replica of this thought process over in the CeeDee Lamb thread. While neither Wilson or Olave have Dak, it wouldn't take much to improve upon their situations.

Addison and JSN do seem slightly over rated to me based on not hitting high end production as rookies. That said, I don't feel they should be significant dropped because both are very talented and will be not only fantasy relevant but worth more at some point in the future than they are today.

All that said Puka deserves to be above or with these guys without a question. I do think there's a chance we just saw one of his better seasons (mainly because I don't see Stafford, the king maker, playing too many more), but what he's done can't me ignored. He slides into that WR7-12 pretty comfortably and think the KTC has a really good top 11 right now.

Also, I'll throw this out there - ADP is something I rarely worry about other than in startups where I am comparing players or when I'm looking for "buy lows" that the overall market has rated below the value I think is appropriate. I think trying to split hairs between WR7 and WR10 is pretty pointless.
Addison averaged 12.9 PPR PPG, was averaging 15.8 PPR PPG until Cousins was injured.

Neither Addison or JSN are ranked higher than Wilson or Olave, so just looking at those numbers, to say that if Addison and JSN are over-rated, so are Wilson and Olave too. One cannot be true without the other being true.
Addison has won the Biletnikoff Award, as best WR in college, none of the OSU WR's have done that.

Personally, I felt that Wilson was legit after his rookie season, but that Olave was being overvalued.
I felt that Olave was over-valued due to his advanced metrics on PlayerProfiler, which showed that the only place that Olave truly excelled at was Opportunity. His Productivity and Efficiency numbers sagged below average.

So for one to buy in on Olave, one has to believe that the Saints will not draft a replacement for MT in the next 8 years, which could cut into Olave's excellent opportunity numbers.

I believe that Saints will draft another top WR to compete with Olave's numbers within the next 2 years.

Wilson's profile was much stronger, as he did not display weakness, or below average performance in any area of his advanced metrics.
I still have Wilson in a couple leagues, and even acquired him in another league this season.
I sold both of my Olave shares after the 2022 season, and I do not regret it at all.
PPG is a pretty bad metric to use though. TDs can be fluky. It’s the exact reason why Dotson was overrated last year.

CGW
Legend
Legend

Postby CGW » Thu Jan 04, 2024 7:08 pm

There's a lot to unpack here.

- just because Wilson and Olave said JSN was a better college receiver, doesn't mean they can't be better pros at this point in their careers. I know you said they can't, but both these things can actually be true at once.

- Biletnikoff Award doesn't guarantee success. Far from it. I'll point most recently to Jalin Hyatt, James Washington, Jerry Jeudy, Dede Westbrook, Corey Coleman, Justin Blackmon x2, Michael Crabtree x2, Mike Hass, Braylon Edwards. That's 14 of the past 20 years and I'm not sure I'd call any of these guys "hits" from a fantasy aspect. We will say Addison and MHJ are hits and call it 6/20 or 30%.

- Olave and Wilson made Justin Fields a 1st round NFL pick. There's a chance that's even more impressive than making Pickett one.

- fair enough on the efficiency metrics. Olave doesn't do everything really well. But I do see improvement in many areas year 1 to 2, and that's way more important to me. Very few WR have no holes as rookies.

- EIGHT YEARS? I have to think Olave is the only WR in New Orleans the next EIGHT years to think he's a top end WR? Guess we will have to wait and see on that one.

MacDaddy123
MVP
MVP

Postby MacDaddy123 » Thu Jan 04, 2024 9:43 pm

CGW wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 7:08 pm

- just because Wilson and Olave said JSN was a better college receiver, doesn't mean they can't be better pros at this point in their careers. I know you said they can't, but both these things can actually be true at once.

- Biletnikoff Award doesn't guarantee success. Far from it. I'll point most recently to Jalin Hyatt, James Washington, Jerry Jeudy, Dede Westbrook, Corey Coleman, Justin Blackmon x2, Michael Crabtree x2, Mike Hass, Braylon Edwards. That's 14 of the past 20 years and I'm not sure I'd call any of these guys "hits" from a fantasy aspect. We will say Addison and MHJ are hits and call it 6/20 or 30%.

- Olave and Wilson made Justin Fields a 1st round NFL pick. There's a chance that's even more impressive than making Pickett one.

- fair enough on the efficiency metrics. Olave doesn't do everything really well. But I do see improvement in many areas year 1 to 2, and that's way more important to me. Very few WR have no holes as rookies.

- EIGHT YEARS? I have to think Olave is the only WR in New Orleans the next EIGHT years to think he's a top end WR? Guess we will have to wait and see on that one.
You can't be serious.

Look, I know a lot of guys LOVE Olave and Wilson.
I just don't understand how people can love Olave and Wilson, and dismiss Addison as inferior
Are they simply Ohio State fans??? Then they hate JSN???

I mean if you think that Addison at WR13 and JSN at WR16 are over-rated, but that Olave at WR9 and Wilson at WR6 are not, I don't know what the hell you are looking at.

I mean once you get past JJ/Chase/Lamb/ARSB/AJB/Tyreek, the next 15 WR's are all practically interchangeable.

Sure, you are allowed to have your own personal favorites, but it's just silly when you say two lower ranked ones are over-rated, but two higher ranked ones are not. When they are all in the same tier.

It's just not a rational thought process.

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Fri Jan 05, 2024 7:36 am

Seems pretty rational to have 2 guys who have done much more in the NFL ranked over 2 guys who haven't done as much

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Fri Jan 05, 2024 7:53 am

Jigga94 wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 7:36 am Seems pretty rational to have 2 guys who have done much more in the NFL ranked over 2 guys who haven't done as much
Agree. What a bizarre take.

wickerkat1212
Legend
Legend

Postby wickerkat1212 » Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:17 am

Jigga94 wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 7:36 am Seems pretty rational to have 2 guys who have done much more in the NFL ranked over 2 guys who haven't done as much
Agree
D3:
QB—Allen, Pickett RB—Kamara, Jacobs, ZWhite, Edwards, Ford, Warren WR—Lamb, Olave, DJM, Puka, Tillman, Marshall, Jefferson, Robinson, Tucker TE—Ferguson, Schoon, Likely, Smith, Washington, Kraft PK—Prater DEF—BAL

D4:
QB—TLaw, JimmyG, Tannehill, AOC, Hall RB—Bijan, Kamara, Conner, Gainwell, Gainwell, Foreman, ZMoss, Chandler, McLaughlin, Murray WR—Jefferson, Hill, Adams, Allen, Tillman, Woods TE—Kelce, Kmet, Conklin PK—Butker DEF—PIT

Superflex 1:
QB—Mahomes, Rodgers, Mayfield RB—Bijan, Kamara, Allgeier, Singletary, Mostert, BRob, Warren, Rodriguez, Spiller WR—Chase, DJM, Devonta, MBrown, Myers, Reynold, Jones TE—Kmet, Likely, Kraft, Conklin, Hurst, Hudson PK—Elliott DEF—PHI

Superflex 2:
QB: Goff, Cousins, Wentz, White; RB: Bijan, BRob, ZWhite, Allgeier, McLaughlin WR: DJM, Higgins, JSN, Downs, RMoore, Atwell, SMoore, PCampbell, DPJ, ATP, Hutchinson, Iosivas, Devante, CJones TE: Ferguson, Kraft, Trautman, Tremble

Jrblaha
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Jrblaha » Fri Jan 05, 2024 11:19 am

MacDaddy123 wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 9:43 pm
CGW wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 7:08 pm

You can't be serious.

Look, I know a lot of guys LOVE Olave and Wilson.
I just don't understand how people can love Olave and Wilson, and dismiss Addison as inferior
Are they simply Ohio State fans??? Then they hate JSN???

I mean if you think that Addison at WR13 and JSN at WR16 are over-rated, but that Olave at WR9 and Wilson at WR6 are not, I don't know what the hell you are looking at.

I mean once you get past JJ/Chase/Lamb/ARSB/AJB/Tyreek, the next 15 WR's are all practically interchangeable.

Sure, you are allowed to have your own personal favorites, but it's just silly when you say two lower ranked ones are over-rated, but two higher ranked ones are not. When they are all in the same tier.

It's just not a rational thought process.
Pretty rational to me to have Wilson and olave in a better tier than JSN and Addison, definitely not same tier for me. If they are for you and you have Wilson or Olave, you should float out some offers for Addison or JSN as you should be able to get +++ added on top of either for either Wilson or Olave.

MacDaddy123
MVP
MVP

Postby MacDaddy123 » Fri Jan 05, 2024 6:05 pm

I guess the difference is in the definition of more.
Like define "much more". Does that mean that Wilson and Olave have played many more NFL games than Addison and JSN?
I'll agree with that.

It seems like to most of you that more is simply yardage and catches, but we MUST ignore scoring TD's!!

Rookie stats with 1 game left for Addison

Addison (WR13) 66 catches 854 yards 9 TD's
Olave (WR9) 72 catches 1,042 yards 4 TD's
Wilson (WR6) 83 catches 1,103 yards 4 TD's

Now, I could somewhat understand your argument if Addison was ranked higher than Olave or Wilson, but he is not.

Many will say that TD's are unpredictable, but that is not always true.

Many of the same WR will lead the NFL in TD every year.

Look, we all knew that Julio Jones was a yardage monster who struggled to score TD's
Julio has scored 66 TD's in 13 seasons.

Mike Evans never really competed with Julio for yardage, but scored TD's every year.
Mike Evans has 94 TD's in 10 seasons.

Yes, catching passes and gaining yardage is a skill.
Being able to find the end zone is also a skill.

This just seems foolish and petty to me.
I'd feel the same way if someone said that Pacheco (RB13) was over-valued, but that KW3 (RB9) and Achane (RB7) were under-valued.

You like Olave and Wilson, so you listen to folks that tell you that Olave and Wilson are great, just to reinforce your own beliefs.
It is nothing but public brain-washing.

Most of you have even been trained to lump Wilson and Olave together.
You don't ever ask questions, or go inside the numbers and look at advanced metrics.
You are like sheep, and just murmur "Olave and Wilson are great" like programmed zombies.

Whatever, excuse this commercial interruption and go on with your regularly scheduled program.

"Olave and Wilson are great"
:dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

DJB
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby DJB » Fri Jan 05, 2024 7:20 pm

So Puka….. lol
Follow me on Twitter @NickDynastyff

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Fri Jan 05, 2024 7:34 pm

DJB wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 7:20 pm So Puka….. lol
He's good!

Excited to see him break the Rookie yardage and catch records this week catching passes from Carson "I love hunting" Wentz.

Cool move by McVay to be aware of history and to go for it.

repkllrs
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby repkllrs » Sun Jan 07, 2024 5:03 pm

1 small step for mankind………
Puka!!!
"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt" Abe Lincoln

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Mon Jan 08, 2024 7:39 pm

This was super cool

https://x.com/RamsNFL/status/1744139181109182816?s=20

The Rams war room on the clock discussing Puka aka "BYU" aka "He's got that Alec Ogletree in him"