General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Ice
Legend
Legend

Re: The Official Brock Purdy Thread

Postby Ice » Mon Oct 30, 2023 12:50 pm

Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 9:47 am
Shoreline Steamers wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 9:39 am
Cameron Giles wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 9:36 am I think multiple things can be true at the same time.

- In the first five games, Purdy had legitimate and deserving MVP stakes. He was playing as well as any QB out there.
- In the last three games, he's regressed, and it seems like defenses have figured out something about the 49ers that they'll have to adjust to.
Not having Deebo hurts, no doubt.
The guy still has CMC, Kittle and Aiyuk, all playing at an elite level right now.
I get we are all about offensive skill positions but the reality is Trent Williams was hurt in week 6. They haven't won since he went down.

Williams is the 2nd highest paid player on the team for a reason. Running game and pass defense have suffered greatly since the best LT in football has been injured.

Purdy will be fine but it should be noted the biggest loss they have suffered by a mile is their O-Line anchor.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Mon Oct 30, 2023 2:29 pm

Ice wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 12:50 pm
Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 9:47 am
Shoreline Steamers wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 9:39 am

Not having Deebo hurts, no doubt.
The guy still has CMC, Kittle and Aiyuk, all playing at an elite level right now.
I get we are all about offensive skill positions but the reality is Trent Williams was hurt in week 6. They haven't won since he went down.

Williams is the 2nd highest paid player on the team for a reason. Running game and pass defense have suffered greatly since the best LT in football has been injured.

Purdy will be fine but it should be noted the biggest loss they have suffered by a mile is their O-Line anchor.
Good point. And to be clear, my point was not that Purdy’s situation hasn’t degraded. It’s that he started off with a supreme situation that has downgraded into… still well above average, probably. It’s not like deebo is out and now he has nobody to throw to. He has arguably one of the best receiving options at each skill position to throw to still.

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Mon Oct 30, 2023 4:03 pm

Jigga94 wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 12:06 pm
Valhalla wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 10:29 am What's with this desire for him to not succeed?
This is tiring. I haven't seen one person say they don't want him to succeed. I did see people say he hasn't looked as good over the past few games and has regressed from the 'MVP' pace and might not be as good as a HOF QB.

It isn't always one side vs the other. It doesn't have to be MVP or bust. It isn't succeed or not. He's already well past the bust category and it seems the people who were pumping the brakes a bit may have been right. Does that mean they don't want him to succeed? No
No one says they don’t want him to succeed. It’s more of the “I was right, he was never a serious mvp candidate” dismissal. Fact is, he WAS playing at an mvp possible level. I get the slight hunch/read that people would rather be correct about their dismissal of this possibility than him actually doing it (continuing the pace).
Sure people want him to succeed, but not at a level that would prove them wrong. There’s a “Ha! Told ya he wasn’t all that!” vibe.

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Mon Oct 30, 2023 6:02 pm

Valhalla wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 4:03 pm
Valhalla wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 10:29 am What's with this desire for him to not succeed?
This is tiring. I haven't seen one person say they don't want him to succeed. I did see people say he hasn't looked as good over the past few games and has regressed from the 'MVP' pace and might not be as good as a HOF QB.

It isn't always one side vs the other. It doesn't have to be MVP or bust. It isn't succeed or not. He's already well past the bust category and it seems the people who were pumping the brakes a bit may have been right. Does that mean they don't want him to succeed? No
No one says they don’t want him to succeed. It’s more of the “I was right, he was never a serious mvp candidate” dismissal. Fact is, he WAS playing at an mvp possible level. I get the slight hunch/read that people would rather be correct about their dismissal of this possibility than him actually doing it (continuing the pace).
Sure people want him to succeed, but not at a level that would prove them wrong. There’s a “Ha! Told ya he wasn’t all that!” vibe.
Yeah, that or it was just common sense that he wouldn’t continue an undefeated 30td to 0INT streak…. You know, either or… who’s to say.

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Mon Oct 30, 2023 8:35 pm

Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 6:02 pm
Valhalla wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 4:03 pm

Yeah, that or it was just common sense that he wouldn’t continue an undefeated 30td to 0INT streak…. You know, either or… who’s to say.
You don’t have to continue an undefeated or zero int streak to continue MVP level play. I’m saying, it sure seems like there are people happy that they were “right” about him not being good enough to be an mvp.

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Mon Oct 30, 2023 8:48 pm

Valhalla wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 8:35 pm You don’t have to continue an undefeated or zero int streak to continue MVP level play. I’m saying, it sure seems like there are people happy that they were “right” about him not being good enough to be an mvp.
And those people are -checks notes- "fans and GM's of every other team in the league not named the 49ers".

You would hope the 49ers didn't -really- just find an MVP calibre QB with the last pick of the draft.

The fact that he's as good as he is is already demoralising enough if you're out here rooting (or working) for Tyson Bagent, Tyrod Taylor, Tommy Devito, Josh Dobbs, Desmond Ridder, Jordan Love, Kenny Pickett, Minschew, etc... the list goes on...

Good QB play seems scarcer in the league right now than ever. It's ok to want to believe that MVP calibre QB play shouldn't be available in the final round of the draft. Another Tom Brady, but on the Niners? GROSS. Nobody wants that. :lol:

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Mon Oct 30, 2023 9:37 pm

mild wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 8:48 pm
Valhalla wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 8:35 pm You don’t have to continue an undefeated or zero int streak to continue MVP level play. I’m saying, it sure seems like there are people happy that they were “right” about him not being good enough to be an mvp.
And those people are -checks notes- "fans and GM's of every other team in the league not named the 49ers".

You would hope the 49ers didn't -really- just find an MVP calibre QB with the last pick of the draft.

The fact that he's as good as he is is already demoralising enough if you're out here rooting (or working) for Tyson Bagent, Tyrod Taylor, Tommy Devito, Josh Dobbs, Desmond Ridder, Jordan Love, Kenny Pickett, Minschew, etc... the list goes on...

Good QB play seems scarcer in the league right now than ever. It's ok to want to believe that MVP calibre QB play shouldn't be available in the final round of the draft. Another Tom Brady, but on the Niners? GROSS. Nobody wants that. :lol:
He was also favoured to be MVP on the gambling sites, too though. That's what I think people were surprised at the most, and skeptical of.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Mon Dec 04, 2023 8:06 pm

Seems he’s still in heavy contention.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Mon Dec 04, 2023 8:46 pm

Valhalla wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 8:06 pm Seems he’s still in heavy contention.
Lance went from being behind an MVP contender, to being behind an MVP contender. :lol: What are the odds?
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Tue Dec 05, 2023 5:30 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 8:46 pm
Lance went from being behind an MVP contender, to being behind an MVP contender. :lol: What are the odds?
That’s it! Lance is a really good support guy! Probably kneading out knots in their traps, preparing cucumber water for the sidelines and bringing them protein shakes spiced with a touch of cinnamon and all that other stuff that makes an MVP

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Tue Dec 05, 2023 6:23 am

Leads the NFL in:

+ Completion percentage
+ Touchdown percentage
+ Yards per attempt
+ Adjusted yards per attempt
+ Yards per completion
+ Passer rating
+ QBR

And for the people who talk about his passing yards coming from YAC. 48.6% of his passing yards are YAC. Look at how that compares to past MVP winners

2020 Aaron Rodgers: 52.2%
2021 Aaron Rodgers: 52.7%
2022 Patrick Mahomes: 54.3%
2023 Brock Purdy: 48.6%

Icing on the cake, he's now beaten the other MVP favorites (Hurts and Prescott) in H2H matchups.

If this were any other QB, I feel like they'd have the award almost wrapped up. Some are trying their hardest to knock Purdy for the talent he plays with and the coach he has, but the fact remains that he is playing the QB position better anyone else on the season. And he's doing this as a 7th round pick with 17 starts in his career. We've never seen a Kyle Shanahan QB look this good in their first 17 starts.

Today, he's the MVP.

Bronco Billy
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Tue Dec 05, 2023 6:33 am

Cameron Giles wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 6:23 am
If this were any other QB, I feel like they'd have the award almost wrapped up. Some are trying their hardest to knock Purdy for the talent he plays with and the coach he has, but the fact remains that he is playing the QB position better anyone else on the season. And he's doing this as a 7th round pick with 17 starts in his career. We've never seen a Kyle Shanahan QB look this good in their first 17 starts.

Today, he's the MVP.
Yep. Some people just can’t get past his draft status. All this success from a guy who barely has a full season of starts in the NFL.

mgscott
Starter
Starter

Postby mgscott » Tue Dec 05, 2023 7:51 am

Leads the NFL in:

+ Completion percentage
+ Touchdown percentage
+ Yards per attempt
+ Yards per completion
+ Passer rating
+ QBR

And for the people who talk about his passing yards coming from YAC. 48.6% of his passing yards are YAC. Look at how that compares to past MVP winners

Icing on the cake, he's now beaten the other MVP favorites (Hurts and Prescott) in H2H matchups.

Today, he's the MVP.
He's also second in the league to Tua in throwing to the most open receivers at 40% of his throws. The positive in that is that he is making the right reads and throwing to the open receiver. The detractor to that is that his receivers are being schemed extremely well and are wide open a lot more than for other QBs. That is the argument against him as an MVP candidate. Is it more him or more the system/talent that makes it work so well.

Bronco Billy
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Tue Dec 05, 2023 8:05 am

mgscott wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 7:51 am
Leads the NFL in:

+ Completion percentage
+ Touchdown percentage
+ Yards per attempt
+ Yards per completion
+ Passer rating
+ QBR

Today, he's the MVP.
He's also second in the league to Tua in throwing to the most open receivers at 40% of his throws. The positive in that is that he is making the right reads and throwing to the open receiver. The detractor to that is that his receivers are being schemed extremely well and are wide open a lot more than for other QBs. That is the argument against him as an MVP candidate. Is it more him or more the system/talent that makes it work so well.
It can be both. They are not mutually exclusive. Lamar Jackson won a MVP while being a terrible distributor of the football. There’s a lot to be said for the right guy being in the right system.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Tue Dec 05, 2023 8:17 am

mgscott wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 7:51 amHe's also second in the league to Tua in throwing to the most open receivers at 40% of his throws. The positive in that is that he is making the right reads and throwing to the open receiver. The detractor to that is that his receivers are being schemed extremely well and are wide open a lot more than for other QBs. That is the argument against him as an MVP candidate. Is it more him or more the system/talent that makes it work so well.
So what? Did people disregard Mahomes for playing in an Andy Reid offense with an elite WR and TE? Did they diminish Rodgers for playing with great receivers and a good offensive line? Brady won MVPs playing with stacked offenses.

Why does it matter now that Purdy is doing it?

To me, it's entirely because people think he's a fluke and they want to give everyone credit except the player leading the huddles, changing plays, making the reads and passes....which makes no sense. He's not the first QB to play with elite talent.

Jalen Hurts plays with elite receivers, an elite offensive line, and good overall skill talent and a very good head coach, yet he was the frontrunner until a few days ago.