What to do with the MN backfield?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Re: What to do with the MN backfield?

Postby Jigga94 » Fri May 19, 2023 10:39 am

murphysxm wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 9:09 am I think if Cook is gone, there is very little chance Minn doesn't sign one of the 12-15 decent backs looking for a job
They might, but I wouldnt be surprised if they just stuck with Mattison, Chandler/McBride, Nwangwu for ST. Not like Zeke or Hunt or even LF really offer an advantage at this stage... I also don't see many RB beyond them so feel free to name the other 10 guys you feel are worthwhile.

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Fri May 19, 2023 11:16 am

Jigga94 wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 10:39 am
murphysxm wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 9:09 am I think if Cook is gone, there is very little chance Minn doesn't sign one of the 12-15 decent backs looking for a job
They might, but I wouldnt be surprised if they just stuck with Mattison, Chandler/McBride, Nwangwu for ST. Not like Zeke or Hunt or even LF really offer an advantage at this stage... I also don't see many RB beyond them so feel free to name the other 10 guys you feel are worthwhile.
Just out of curiosity, is there a reason that Nwangwu is consistently being dismissed in favour of late round picks like Chandler & McBride? His athleticism is way ahead of both of them, as is his draft capital. While both had extremely limited work last year, Nwangwu had more carries and more targets than Chandler. While he’s valuable as a returner, not sure that prevents him from manning the CoP role behind Mattison.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Fri May 19, 2023 11:33 am

ericanadian wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 11:16 am
Just out of curiosity, is there a reason that Nwangwu is consistently being dismissed in favour of late round picks like Chandler & McBride? His athleticism is way ahead of both of them, as is his draft capital. While both had extremely limited work last year, Nwangwu had more carries and more targets than Chandler. While he’s valuable as a returner, not sure that prevents him from manning the CoP role behind Mattison.
Well, everywhere I see he's listed behind Chandler and McBride. If the Vikings thought Cook would be back or Mattison and Kene could handle the load with Chandler backing them up, why even draft McBride?

His draft capital is day 3 like the rest so wouldn't call that a huge advantage, especially now that he's been there 2 years and hardly played on offense... He out touched the rookie Chandler last year a whopping 11 to 6... had 17 touches his rookie year.

His athleticism is solid, but he's not a good RB in my opinion. Maybe they get him out in space more and utilize his speed, but they have much better playmaker in JJ, Addison and Hock as well as Cook/Mattison.

I'm wondering what you see in him besides athleticism?

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Fri May 19, 2023 12:05 pm

Jigga94 wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 11:33 am
ericanadian wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 11:16 am

Well, everywhere I see he's listed behind Chandler and McBride. If the Vikings thought Cook would be back or Mattison and Kene could handle the load with Chandler backing them up, why even draft McBride?

His draft capital is day 3 like the rest so wouldn't call that a huge advantage, especially now that he's been there 2 years and hardly played on offense... He out touched the rookie Chandler last year a whopping 11 to 6... had 17 touches his rookie year.

His athleticism is solid, but he's not a good RB in my opinion. Maybe they get him out in space more and utilize his speed, but they have much better playmaker in JJ, Addison and Hock as well as Cook/Mattison.

I'm wondering what you see in him besides athleticism?
It’s more that I just don’t see much in Chandler or McBride. Day 3 is a long day, so I guess I disagree that a 7th rounder isn’t that much different than a 4th rounder. Even a 50 pick gap is a pretty big gap and that’s the difference between Chandler and Nwangwu. vikings.com finished the season with Nwangwu as the number three back and places like espn and others are mostly just guessing until the pre-season starts.

As for what I’m seeing, Nwangwu had like 18 snaps. Not sure you can make much of a read off a guy with that little work. I’m not saying he should be the guy, but I just wouldn’t count him out if I was trying to buy into this backfield once Cook leaves, if he leaves.

WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
K - Just a stupid kicker

SoftwoodGrampian
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby SoftwoodGrampian » Fri May 19, 2023 12:30 pm

They must really like Mattison to put him on the banner.

… or not like Cook…

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Fri May 19, 2023 12:34 pm

SoftwoodGrampian wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 12:30 pm They must really like Mattison to put him on the banner.

… or not like Cook…
Ya, the banner is interesting and to me is the biggest indicator that he’s leading the backfield this coming year. If they were considering bringing someone in to start, I don’t think that happens unless they just have poor communication between the operation and marketing.

K - Just a stupid kicker

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Fri May 19, 2023 12:53 pm

ericanadian wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 12:34 pm
SoftwoodGrampian wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 12:30 pm They must really like Mattison to put him on the banner.

… or not like Cook…
Ya, the banner is interesting and to me is the biggest indicator that he’s leading the backfield this coming year. If they were considering bringing someone in to start, I don’t think that happens unless they just have poor communication between the operation and marketing.
It's also possible that the Vikings don't operate like our fantasy teams...meaning they don't have one man as owner, GM, coach and logo producer/banner maker.

The marketing team is given the task of marketing the team, building hype. They aren't likely fed input from who the GM might be considering replacing or bringing in competition for or who the coaches like. They're given the task of "hey generate some good hype building content for us." Probably not the GM knocking on their conference room and saying "hey we plan to feature this guy so get him on the banner."

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Fri May 19, 2023 1:01 pm

Valhalla wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 12:53 pm

… or not like Cook…
It's also possible that the Vikings don't operate like our fantasy teams...meaning they don't have one man as owner, GM, coach and logo producer/banner maker.

The marketing team is given the task of marketing the team, building hype. They aren't likely fed input from who the GM might be considering replacing or bringing in competition for or who the coaches like. They're given the task of "hey generate some good hype building content for us." Probably not the GM knocking on their conference room and saying "hey we plan to feature this guy so get him on the banner."
I’m not sure how they run the team, but most well run companies would have communication between the operation and the marketing team. It seems pretty clear they do here as well or Cook would be on the banner. It’s not a major assumption that whoever told them not to feature Cook would tell them who to feature in his place.

K - Just a stupid kicker

frerichs5
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby frerichs5 » Fri May 19, 2023 1:35 pm

ericanadian wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 1:01 pm

I’m not sure how they run the team, but most well run companies would have communication between the operation and the marketing team. It seems pretty clear they do here as well or Cook would be on the banner. It’s not a major assumption that whoever told them not to feature Cook would tell them who to feature in his place.
Yep, if they truly are marketing on their own without anyone else’s input, they aren’t picking a current backup RB lol. Someone gave some input.

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Fri May 19, 2023 1:41 pm

frerichs5 wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 1:35 pm
ericanadian wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 1:01 pm

Yep, if they truly are marketing on their own without anyone else’s input, they aren’t picking a current backup RB lol. Someone gave some input.
Maybe...or maybe there have been strong indications of Cook being out for a LONG time...and there really aren't a lot of Viking stars aside from Jefferson right now.
They could be told "don't put Cook on the banner" without being told of plans the GM has to go after another guy.

SoftwoodGrampian
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby SoftwoodGrampian » Fri May 19, 2023 3:51 pm

I’m in marketing and I’d never imagine tossing a backup on the front header over the star player. There’s no way unless mentioned.

Needalife
Legend
Legend

Postby Needalife » Fri May 19, 2023 6:33 pm

MIN is a playoff team. As long as he's healthy, I think they'll fully lean on Mattison if Cook is let go. Just an gut feeling, but I think the Ty Chandler and McBride talk is wishful thinking as MIN has high team goal expectations and I see them leaning on reliable vets like Mattison. If Cook is let go, Mattison is going to feast.
14 TM / Devy / SuperFlex / TEP
1 Q / 2 RB / 2 WR / 1 TE / 1 SF / 3 F / 1 DT / 2 DE / 3 LB / 2 CB / 2 S / 1 F

QB: Jordan Love, Trevor Lawrence
RB: Zamir White, James Conner, Trey Benson, Jaylen Warren, Will Shipley
WR: Michael Pittman, Puka Nacua, Drake London, Christian Kirk, Josh Palmer
TE: Trey McBride, Jake Ferguson, Noah Gray
PK: Justin Tucker, Jason Myers
DT: Grover Stewart, Devonte Wyatt
DE: Alex Highsmith, Jonathan Cooper, Gregory Rousseau, Matt Judon, Baron Browning
LB: Fred Warner, Dre Greenlaw, Ernest Jones, Alex Anzalone, Jack Campbell
CB: L'Jarius Sneed, Deommodore Lenoir, Taron Johnson
S: Derwin James, Talanoa Hufanga, Kareem Jackson
DEVY: RB Nick Singleton PSU
2024 DEVY DEPLETED PICKS: 1.11, 1.13, 2.03, 2.05, 2.13, 3.01, 3.07, 3.10, 3.12, 4.03, 4.11, 4.15, 5.01, 5.02

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Sat May 20, 2023 8:26 am

SoftwoodGrampian wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 3:51 pm I’m in marketing and I’d never imagine tossing a backup on the front header over the star player. There’s no way unless mentioned.
Yeah all I’m saying is, the marketing team could be told “don’t put Cook on the banner as he won’t be with us, but keep that in house” and they are given no further detail on the GM or coaching plans, because they don’t need to know nor should they know if the GM is eyeing someone like Elliott or Hunt or something to have a committee. The marketing team putting Mattison on the banner is not necessarily in response to “hey we’re going to feature Mattison so replace Cook with him” type of info the marketing team has.

SoftwoodGrampian
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby SoftwoodGrampian » Sat May 20, 2023 8:32 am

Valhalla wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 8:26 am
SoftwoodGrampian wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 3:51 pm I’m in marketing and I’d never imagine tossing a backup on the front header over the star player. There’s no way unless mentioned.
Yeah all I’m saying is, the marketing team could be told “don’t put Cook on the banner as he won’t be with us, but keep that in house” and they are given no further detail on the GM or coaching plans, because they don’t need to know nor should they know if the GM is eyeing someone like Elliott or Hunt or something to have a committee. The marketing team putting Mattison on the banner is not necessarily in response to “hey we’re going to feature Mattison so replace Cook with him” type of info the marketing team has.
Then IMO you safely add another player who isn’t known to be the backup. It doesn’t have to be a RB

Farley
Captain
Captain

Postby Farley » Sat May 20, 2023 12:55 pm

Here's the one hiccup...marketing banner notwithstanding.

Alexander Mattison has looked like crap the last two years.

That is all.