Quentin Johnston is the new MikeEvans/

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.

Quentin Johnston reminds me of and/or will have a career similar to this tall WR ... (choose two)

Mike Evans
6%
Allen Robinson
3%
Tee Higgins
9%
MVScantling
19%
DJ Chark
13%
AJ Green
3%
Mike Williams
26%
DKM
7%
other (whom)
16%

Total votes: 70

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Re: Quentin Johnston is the new MikeEvans/

Postby Valhalla » Thu May 11, 2023 2:56 pm

Sad...I went searching for the "Get Brian Quick Now!!!" thread and I can't seem to find it. Admittedly I didn't search hard, though...but that was a good one.

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Thu May 11, 2023 3:00 pm

Valhalla wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 2:56 pm Sad...I went searching for the "Get Brian Quick Now!!!" thread and I can't seem to find it. Admittedly I didn't search hard, though...but that was a good one.
Ah, twinkies and nyquil...
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=44520&p=381660&hilit=quick#p381660
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=73916&p=632551&hilit=quick#p632551
League #1- 14 tm ppr, 1Q, 2R, 3W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1K
1 DT, 2 DE, 2 LB, 1 CB, 1 S, 1 flex

League #2- 12 team PPR, 1Q, 1R, 2W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1 W/R/T, 1 Def

League #3- 12 tm PPR, 1Q, 0R (yes, ZERO RB) 3W, 1T, 2 R/W/T flex, 1 Def

Lumps
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Lumps » Thu May 11, 2023 3:10 pm

Pullo Vision wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 3:00 pm
Valhalla wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 2:56 pm Sad...I went searching for the "Get Brian Quick Now!!!" thread and I can't seem to find it. Admittedly I didn't search hard, though...but that was a good one.
I tried to find the Montee Ball / Ronnie Hillman thread. I think it got locked, but I have a few posts in there.... :lol: :lol:

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Thu May 11, 2023 3:40 pm

To expound on my earlier comments. I was intrigued by Quentin Johnston and wanted to like him. I’m a complete sucker for big athletic wrs. But his tape was alarming. Now that doesn’t mean he can’t improve, he very well may. But what sets Johnston apart from many other wrs in his mold is that he plays smaller than his size. That’s always a big concern. And it’s always a big plus when a receiver plays bigger than his size (Garrett Wilson at Ohio St, for example). I’ll have to check my notes when I get home, but to compound the smaller than his size concerns, he’s also a very raw route runner. Those two flaws together almost seem like a death sentence. While that is an exaggeration, it is a legitimate concern and different from many other players. Sutton was raw coming into the league but he played up to his size and athleticism. DK was sort of one-dimensional but again, he played up to his size and athleticism. Johnston is different in that he’s a big wr that plays like a small wr. He gets bullied into the sideline on go routes. He body catches jump balls. I could go on and on. Even with all that I still don’t hate Johnston, I think he’s a worthwhile bet in the first round. It’s just hard to take him over the wrs that do wr things better (JSN, Flowers, Addison).

gogobradyarm
All Pro
All Pro

Postby gogobradyarm » Thu May 11, 2023 4:57 pm

Anything Anteaters says, do the opposite
12 Team - PPR - 30man (2 IR) - 6pt PPTD- 1 QB - 2 RB - 2 WR - 1 Flex - 1 TE
QB: Jalen Hurts, Dak Prescott, Anthony Richardson, Aidan O'Connell
RB: McCaffrey, Jacobs, Barkley, Zamir White, Jaleel McLaughlin, Dowdle, Zach Evans, Dobbins
WR: AJB, London, Aiyuk, Diontae Johnson, Rashee Rice, Ridley, McLaurin, Dotson, Rashod Bateman
TE: Mandrews, Pitts, Likely, Otton

2024: 1.01, 1.07
2025: 3x 1st
Champ: 2020, 2021
Year 9 of my league

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Thu May 11, 2023 7:43 pm

Pullo Vision wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 3:00 pm
:lol: :clap:

killer_of_giants
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby killer_of_giants » Fri May 12, 2023 4:11 am

gogobradyarm wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 4:57 pm Anything Anteaters says, do the opposite
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Fri May 12, 2023 12:54 pm

gogobradyarm wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 4:57 pm Anything Anteaters says, do the opposite
:angel:
TEAM 1:
12 Team ppr w/20 keepers - start 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1FLX 6IDP 1DEF
QB: Tua, Lamar, Levis
RB: Etienne, Pacheco, JavonteWms, JFord, CEH
WR: Lamb, JChase, Waddle, Pickens, MWilliams, Q Johnston
TE: Goedert, Friermuth
DEF: Cowboys, Ravens
IDP:(LB) Bolton, Greenlaw; (DE/DL) ZCollins, BJHill; (S/CB) Pitre, Bates, Witherspoon
2023 & 2022 Champion: 2020 third place: 2019 Champion

TEAM 2:
14 Team 30roster SF/ppr/TEP - QB/RB/WR/TE/5FLX/SF
QB: Tua, CJStroud, Carr, AOC, MWhite, Lock
RB: Etienne, Stevenson, GusE, AJD, Singletary, CEH, Spiller
WR: Amon-Ra, Kirk, Dell, Thielen, Gallup, Ch Jones
TE: Andrews, Waller, Taysom, Smythe, WMallory, JOliver
2023 semifinals loser

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Fri May 12, 2023 2:23 pm

Anteaters wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 12:54 pm
so..... :evil: ?

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Fri May 12, 2023 3:15 pm

Valhalla wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 2:23 pm
:lol:
or should that be
:(
TEAM 1:
12 Team ppr w/20 keepers - start 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1FLX 6IDP 1DEF
QB: Tua, Lamar, Levis
RB: Etienne, Pacheco, JavonteWms, JFord, CEH
WR: Lamb, JChase, Waddle, Pickens, MWilliams, Q Johnston
TE: Goedert, Friermuth
DEF: Cowboys, Ravens
IDP:(LB) Bolton, Greenlaw; (DE/DL) ZCollins, BJHill; (S/CB) Pitre, Bates, Witherspoon
2023 & 2022 Champion: 2020 third place: 2019 Champion

TEAM 2:
14 Team 30roster SF/ppr/TEP - QB/RB/WR/TE/5FLX/SF
QB: Tua, CJStroud, Carr, AOC, MWhite, Lock
RB: Etienne, Stevenson, GusE, AJD, Singletary, CEH, Spiller
WR: Amon-Ra, Kirk, Dell, Thielen, Gallup, Ch Jones
TE: Andrews, Waller, Taysom, Smythe, WMallory, JOliver
2023 semifinals loser

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Fri May 12, 2023 6:01 pm

Anteaters wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 3:15 pm
Valhalla wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 2:23 pm
:lol:
or should that be
:(
Devil and Angel, I think he got it right.

Anyways, back to nitpicking a prospect to death for the next 4 months.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Space Cowboy
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Space Cowboy » Fri May 12, 2023 6:59 pm

I watched a couple of mashups, probably 4 games and I didn’t see him face press coverage. I don’t feel comfortable using draft capital in FF or real life on that. He’s an avoid for me.

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Sat May 13, 2023 12:47 am

So, I don't think comparing him to Mike Evans is particularly accurate nor helpful. We would be wise to do better than putting that on him - both from play-style perspective (Evans one of the most dominant contested-catch WR's we've ever seen vs. QJ who plays more like a RAC big-slot guy) and career stat success (of course we would all love to draft the next 8-time 1000 yard season HOF-bound WR).

I really do get the appeal, though. If you're someone who likes their WR prospects big, and with speed, then he's our premiere option this year. (Is he a better prospect bet than Mingo and Tillman? Probably, yes! Is it worth the price? Well, there's the rub...) You can't ask for a better landing spot. His RAS is really good. He has definite skills with the ball in his hands.

It really just comes down to a matter of your appetite for risk vs. cost. You'd love to spend this kind of draft capital on someone safer... but all the WR's have some sort of downside this year, it's really just pick your poison. If you're a contender with good depth already? I could understand taking this swing, for sure. If you're rebuilding? Then you're hoping to land someone safer to build around, most likely.

This was a pretty good discussion on QJ vs. Christian Watson over on DynastyReddit. Top rated comment is one of the better bull-cases I've read for QJ this year, so I'm going to quote it below. This is the reasoning and outcome you're hoping for if you're pulling the trigger on QJ this draft:
People are gonna bring up “not playing up to his size”, and “body catching” and “no impact against Georgia”.

To be clear, I was one of them. Watching highlights and film definitely paints a specific picture.

However, I started to watch the games themselves and ignore the highlights, and you can clearly see QJ make great catches with his hands, go up and get the ball occasionally, and also be running wide open and not get thrown the ball. The more I’ve paid attention to this, the more I’ve seen. I am starting to think the concerns are overblown.

Does he need to work on it? Sure, but it does seem to me like it’s in his wheelhouse. It’s not like he doesn’t have those skills at all, like many try and suggest.

As somebody that took QJ, what it came down to for me is this:

Do I trust Herbert, Staley, and Moore to put QJ in positions to succeed in the offense? Yes.

Do I trust Herbert to be able to read the field and hit QJ when he’s open more consistently than what he saw in college? Yes.

Do I trust Allen and Williams to take the main defensive players that I think could shut QJ down early on? Yes.

Do I trust Herbert to put the ball on the money down the field, as opposed to Duggan throwing some deep lobs? Yes.

I think QJ can be elevated by his team, coaching, and most importantly QB. I think that more than accounts and lessens his weaknesses. That alone makes me think he can have a solid fantasy season. If I think he can take a further step with some confidence in himself and the coaching staff, then honestly the sky is the limit. Seems like a decent enough risk to take over guys like Flowers and Addison. At least for somebody like me who also had Herbert.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sat May 13, 2023 1:08 am

mild wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 12:47 am So, I don't think comparing him to Mike Evans is particularly accurate nor helpful. We would be wise to do better than putting that on him - both from play-style perspective (Evans one of the most dominant contested-catch WR's we've ever seen vs. QJ who plays more like a RAC big-slot guy) and career stat success (of course we would all love to draft the next 8-time 1000 yard season HOF-bound WR).

I really do get the appeal, though. If you're someone who likes their WR prospects big, and with speed, then he's our premiere option this year. (Is he a better prospect bet than Mingo and Tillman? Probably, yes! Is it worth the price? Well, there's the rub...) You can't ask for a better landing spot. His RAS is really good. He has definite skills with the ball in his hands.

It really just comes down to a matter of your appetite for risk vs. cost. You'd love to spend this kind of draft capital on someone safer... but all the WR's have some sort of downside this year, it's really just pick your poison. If you're a contender with good depth already? I could understand taking this swing, for sure. If you're rebuilding? Then you're hoping to land someone safer to build around, most likely.

This was a pretty good discussion on QJ vs. Christian Watson over on DynastyReddit. Top rated comment is one of the better bull-cases I've read for QJ this year, so I'm going to quote it below. This is the reasoning and outcome you're hoping for if you're pulling the trigger on QJ this draft:
People are gonna bring up “not playing up to his size”, and “body catching” and “no impact against Georgia”.

To be clear, I was one of them. Watching highlights and film definitely paints a specific picture.

However, I started to watch the games themselves and ignore the highlights, and you can clearly see QJ make great catches with his hands, go up and get the ball occasionally, and also be running wide open and not get thrown the ball. The more I’ve paid attention to this, the more I’ve seen. I am starting to think the concerns are overblown.

Does he need to work on it? Sure, but it does seem to me like it’s in his wheelhouse. It’s not like he doesn’t have those skills at all, like many try and suggest.

As somebody that took QJ, what it came down to for me is this:

Do I trust Herbert, Staley, and Moore to put QJ in positions to succeed in the offense? Yes.

Do I trust Herbert to be able to read the field and hit QJ when he’s open more consistently than what he saw in college? Yes.

Do I trust Allen and Williams to take the main defensive players that I think could shut QJ down early on? Yes.

Do I trust Herbert to put the ball on the money down the field, as opposed to Duggan throwing some deep lobs? Yes.

I think QJ can be elevated by his team, coaching, and most importantly QB. I think that more than accounts and lessens his weaknesses. That alone makes me think he can have a solid fantasy season. If I think he can take a further step with some confidence in himself and the coaching staff, then honestly the sky is the limit. Seems like a decent enough risk to take over guys like Flowers and Addison. At least for somebody like me who also had Herbert.
https://youtu.be/cDBO5h06f6M?t=149
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Sat May 13, 2023 1:33 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 1:08 am https://youtu.be/cDBO5h06f6M?t=149
Do I think this Seinfeld gag provided with absolutely no additional context is a fair criticism of Quintin Johnson the american football player? Yes.

Do I love it because I love everything Seinfeld, blindly and without reservation, because it is one of the greatest comedies of all time? Oh absolutely, yes. 8-)