Quentin Johnston is the new MikeEvans/

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.

Quentin Johnston reminds me of and/or will have a career similar to this tall WR ... (choose two)

Mike Evans
6%
Allen Robinson
3%
Tee Higgins
9%
MVScantling
19%
DJ Chark
13%
AJ Green
3%
Mike Williams
26%
DKM
7%
other (whom)
16%

Total votes: 70

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Quentin Johnston is the new MikeEvans/

Postby Anteaters » Mon May 08, 2023 3:33 am

WR Draft order was Addison->JSN->QuentinJ->ZayF->JalenHyatt->Mingo

My draft for team 1 in my signature. I ended up getting Q as the eighth rookie drafted - behind three QB drafted ahead of him in a 1qb league. I'd planned to double my rookie WR pleasure but Zay Flowers went two picks before my next pick, and I wasn't excited about the other WRs at that draft position.

Now I'm trying to figure out what the DLF opinion is on Quentin Johnston. I'm optimistic based on his final year of college production, his measurables, his draft capital (1.21, second WR chosen) and his situation in LAC. He has a young gun for QB, has an older fading WR and a reputationally injury-prone WR ahead of him, and could find himself in a position to see a lot of targets his rookie season. I won't say it's likely he sees 100+ targets in 2023, but I can see a more likely pathway for him to do that than, say, JSN.

So, what do you think?
TEAM 1:
12 Team ppr w/20 keepers - start 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1FLX 6IDP 1DEF
QB: Tua, Lamar, Levis
RB: Etienne, Pacheco, JavonteWms, JFord, CEH
WR: Lamb, JChase, Waddle, Pickens, MWilliams, Q Johnston
TE: Goedert, Friermuth
DEF: Cowboys, Ravens
IDP:(LB) Bolton, Greenlaw; (DE/DL) ZCollins, BJHill; (S/CB) Pitre, Bates, Witherspoon
2023 & 2022 Champion: 2020 third place: 2019 Champion

TEAM 2:
14 Team 30roster SF/ppr/TEP - QB/RB/WR/TE/5FLX/SF
QB: Tua, CJStroud, Carr, AOC, MWhite, Lock
RB: Etienne, Stevenson, GusE, AJD, Singletary, CEH, Spiller
WR: Amon-Ra, Kirk, Dell, Thielen, Gallup, Ch Jones
TE: Andrews, Waller, Taysom, Smythe, WMallory, JOliver
2023 semifinals loser

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Quentin Johnston is the new MikeEvans/

Postby Jigga94 » Mon May 08, 2023 3:57 am

He's more Martavis Bryant than Mike Evans

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Mon May 08, 2023 4:01 am

Jigga94 wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 3:57 am He's more Martavis Bryant than Mike Evans
:lol:
I thought I included low enough chum options like Chark and MVS to give the doubters low-value options. Guess I didn't reach low enough.
TEAM 1:
12 Team ppr w/20 keepers - start 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1FLX 6IDP 1DEF
QB: Tua, Lamar, Levis
RB: Etienne, Pacheco, JavonteWms, JFord, CEH
WR: Lamb, JChase, Waddle, Pickens, MWilliams, Q Johnston
TE: Goedert, Friermuth
DEF: Cowboys, Ravens
IDP:(LB) Bolton, Greenlaw; (DE/DL) ZCollins, BJHill; (S/CB) Pitre, Bates, Witherspoon
2023 & 2022 Champion: 2020 third place: 2019 Champion

TEAM 2:
14 Team 30roster SF/ppr/TEP - QB/RB/WR/TE/5FLX/SF
QB: Tua, CJStroud, Carr, AOC, MWhite, Lock
RB: Etienne, Stevenson, GusE, AJD, Singletary, CEH, Spiller
WR: Amon-Ra, Kirk, Dell, Thielen, Gallup, Ch Jones
TE: Andrews, Waller, Taysom, Smythe, WMallory, JOliver
2023 semifinals loser

Bronco Billy
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Mon May 08, 2023 4:30 am

He was the toughest evaluation in this draft IMO. He has a phenomenal combination of size/athleticism and is a nightmare for Ds in the open field with the ball in his hands. There were games where he just did anything he wanted and couldn’t be stopped, but then there are games where he almost literally was nonexistent on the field. TCU ran him on the left side of what was a very right-centric offense, and you have to wonder why a team has a weapon of his potential and then put him in a more difficult position to get the ball in his hands. Despite his overwhelming size, there were often times he did not use it to his advantage to bully smaller DBs and can appear almost passive on the field when the ball is coming his way.

I’m concerned that even though he is so physically imposing that he just does not have the mindset to succeed in contested situations at the next level where CBs are going to be stronger, faster, more aggressive and are used to dealing with guys his size and they’ll take away his downfield effectiveness, leaving him as a player that his team will have to scheme him open to get the ball in his hands and use that open field ability. If so, that would seem to put a cap on any upside he’s got. I’ve had kids like this and finally had to resolve to put smaller, less physically gifted players on the field instead of them because the “lesser” kids were just more productive.

CGW
Legend
Legend

Postby CGW » Mon May 08, 2023 4:34 am

Mike Evans who came into the league after dominating the SEC with 2499 yards and 17 TDs n two seasons, got drafted 7th overall, and has 9 straight 1k yard seasons on his way to the hall of Fame?

I'll take the under. There's some reason for optimism though. He's tried to a brilliant young QB with a path to eventual targets. He's fast and very athletic with good size. Voting DJ Chark as the upside comp. If it all comes together he can put up a really good year, but super inconsistent year to year.

killer_of_giants
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby killer_of_giants » Mon May 08, 2023 4:45 am

he's just a slower josh doctson.

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Mon May 08, 2023 4:55 am

Small WRs can play big, but Johnston is an example of how big WRs can play small. That and the drops are two reasons I'm staying far away at his cost. Of all the comps I've heard, Martavis is the one that resonates the most for me, but he didn't miss expectations due to physical ability, as I recall.
League #1- 14 tm ppr, 1Q, 2R, 3W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1K
1 DT, 2 DE, 2 LB, 1 CB, 1 S, 1 flex

League #2- 12 team PPR, 1Q, 1R, 2W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1 W/R/T, 1 Def

League #3- 12 tm PPR, 1Q, 0R (yes, ZERO RB) 3W, 1T, 2 R/W/T flex, 1 Def

CGW
Legend
Legend

Postby CGW » Mon May 08, 2023 5:25 am

Jigga94 wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 3:57 am He's more Martavis Bryant than Mike Evans
I posted before I saw this, but from a tools standpoint MB is a really good comp. Let's all hope QJ has more between the ears though.

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Mon May 08, 2023 5:30 am

Smaller Jonathan Baldwin.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Mon May 08, 2023 5:40 am

For me, Johnston's problem is that the tape doesn't match the production consistently.

He actually has a very formidable production profile. 89th percentile breakout, strong yards/team pass attempt, really good YAC numbers, age-adjusted production looks solid, YPRR in the slot looks good, etc. 1st Round DC with Justin Herbert as his QB is a hell of an outcome too.

But, then you watch the games, and you just don't see it.

His range of outcomes is all over the place. I think the biggest change he needs is a mindset shift. If he attacked the ball consistently, caught away from his body more, and really utilized his size and athleticism....he would be a monster. He does need some technique development is well as an overall route runner, but he's not raw necessarily in that department.

He's one of those players that you'll either breathe a sigh of relief for passing on or kick yourself for passing on. Nothing in between. He's not Mike Evans, but no WR in this class does what he does at his best. I'm sure some can easily talk themselves into him.

murphysxm
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby murphysxm » Mon May 08, 2023 5:55 am

CGW wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 4:34 am Mike Evans who came into the league after dominating the SEC with 2499 yards and 17 TDs n two seasons, got drafted 7th overall, and has 9 straight 1k yard seasons on his way to the hall of Fame?

I'll take the under.
I mean when you put it like that.......
I am just a guy sharing some thoughts

lic217
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby lic217 » Mon May 08, 2023 6:19 am

I agree with the above poster who stated that he is a very difficult guy to evaluate. When watching him there’s times when you think he’s the best wide receiver in the draft and there’s other times where he looks like he’s in capable of even producing vs good college corners. I was lower on Mike Evans, than most, obviously I was proven to be wrong on that. I am lower on Johnston more than most so maybe I’m wrong on him too. I will not end up with any shares because I have him Lower than most.

j4pac
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby j4pac » Mon May 08, 2023 6:30 am

killer_of_giants wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 4:45 am he's just a slower josh doctson.
Lol. Wow that’s harsh
SF, PPR, 12 team, 12 player dynasty

QB- Lawrence, Fields, Tannehill (max 2 keepers, 3 rostered)
RB- Bijan Robinson, T Pollard, Allgeier, Charbonnet, Achane, J Wilson, Kelley, K Williams
WR- Lamb, Jeudy, Hill, C Olave, A Pierce, Shaheed, Bourne
TE- Goedert, Musgrave

kadun2
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby kadun2 » Mon May 08, 2023 6:33 am

I share the mindset concern. I’ll say Laquon Treadwell. I would have taken Mingo or Flowers ahead of him.

killer_of_giants
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby killer_of_giants » Mon May 08, 2023 6:50 am

j4pac wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 6:30 am
killer_of_giants wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 4:45 am he's just a slower josh doctson.
Lol. Wow that’s harsh
ahah it is.

the way i see it is, if he was 3 inches shorter he'd be a hell of a running back. but he's tall and fast, so he's been put out wide: he looks a lot more like a football player with the ball in his hands. without the ball, at times he looks timid and/or uninterested. there are hints in his game that point to the fact that he lacks a bit of hunger, and that's a major red flag for me. now maybe it's just that it's always been easy for him and didn't really need to buckle down to have success.

i think that's why he's difficult to evaluate: the tools are there, but does he have the head to learn to use them at their best? that's a lot harder to evaluate, without talking to the player (are there any interviews around?)