Achane>Gibbs

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Achane>Gibbs

Postby Cameron Giles » Fri Sep 29, 2023 5:12 am

Ignoring fantasy points and just looking at how Achane was used last week, and looking at how Gibbs has been used so far.........man lol

This is going to get interesting.

CGW
Legend
Legend

Postby CGW » Fri Sep 29, 2023 5:14 am

Cameron Giles wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 5:12 am Ignoring fantasy points and just looking at how Achane was used last week, and looking at how Gibbs has been used so far.........man lol

You aren't wrong. If Achane gets similar usage when they play actual football teams, there won't be much value gap between them by years end unless it's Achane > Gibbs. System fit is just so much better. Lions should have used their high first elsewhere and taken Charbonnet later.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Fri Sep 29, 2023 5:26 am

CGW wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 5:14 am
Cameron Giles wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 5:12 am Ignoring fantasy points and just looking at how Achane was used last week, and looking at how Gibbs has been used so far.........man lol

You aren't wrong. If Achane gets similar usage when they play actual football teams, there won't be much value gap between them by years end unless it's Achane > Gibbs. System fit is just so much better. Lions should have used their high first elsewhere and taken Charbonnet later.
Right.

Achane has a coach who values the hell out of fast, explosive, homerun hitting talent and he's ascending to becoming one of the top offensive minds in the league. The ways and creativity they used him last week couldn't have been better. And we know that the ceiling for Achane in this offense is ridiculous and he doesn't need an insane amount of carries to reach it.

Gibbs.....just doesn't have that. Not that Ben Johnson is a bad OC, because he's actually pretty good. But, the Lions identity is built around physical play. Winning at the LOS, pounding between the tackles, getting the hard yards. All the stuff Jamaal Williams (and now David Montgomery) represented last season.

Gibbs is still the better talent and has 1st round pedigree, but Achane was never far off in the talent department. If this type of usage continues Achane vs. Gibbs is going to be a legitimate conversation.

Just look at this

Like I said....lol.

CGW
Legend
Legend

Postby CGW » Fri Sep 29, 2023 5:52 am

Let's ram Gibbs up the middle a dozen times and see what happens! :lol:

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Fri Sep 29, 2023 5:55 am

Love the draft capital argument when a guy was clearly over drafted. They were going to take Gibbs over Bijan? To use him like this? L O L

CGW
Legend
Legend

Postby CGW » Fri Sep 29, 2023 6:12 am

Jigga94 wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 5:55 am Love the draft capital argument when a guy was clearly over drafted. They were going to take Gibbs over Bijan? To use him like this? L O L
It's possible I may fade any Detroit RB draft picks for a while. When was the last one that worked out? Gibbs, Swift, Johnson, Abdullah, Leshoure, Best... it's been a while.

But at least there's some hope they trade Gibbs to a team that will use him properly. They don't seem scared to move on quickly, as demonstrated by the weird Swift move.

I hope they make some changes quickly (doubt it) or this will be one of the worst picks of the 2023 draft. They could have really set themselves apart with another high quality franchise type player with that pick.

Two Cents
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Two Cents » Fri Sep 29, 2023 7:49 am

CGW wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 6:12 am
Jigga94 wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 5:55 am Love the draft capital argument when a guy was clearly over drafted. They were going to take Gibbs over Bijan? To use him like this? L O L
It's possible I may fade any Detroit RB draft picks for a while. When was the last one that worked out? Gibbs, Swift, Johnson, Abdullah, Leshoure, Best... it's been a while.

But at least there's some hope they trade Gibbs to a team that will use him properly. They don't seem scared to move on quickly, as demonstrated by the weird Swift move.

I hope they make some changes quickly (doubt it) or this will be one of the worst picks of the 2023 draft. They could have really set themselves apart with another high quality franchise type player with that pick.
For awhile? You say this as if they draft RBs every year that are potentially fantasy relevant. I’m also curious…what team always drafts a good (fantasy) RB?

Also, has it occurred to you that Gibbs might not be a great fantasy player but a great impact player - like Reggie Bush? Just because he doesn’t serve our purposes doesn’t make Gibbs a bust or a waste.
¢¢

12 team SF TEP
STARTERS | BENCH
QB (1) Mayfield, Mac Jones, Garrapollo, Darnold, Dobbs
RB (2) Kyren Williams, Rachaad White, AJ Dillon, Gibson, K. Mitchell, Perine, CEH, Akers, Dowdle
WR (3) Collins, Palmer, Meyers, Chark, Boyd, Juju
TE (2) Laporta, Kmet , Schultz, J. Johnson, Fant, Dulcich
FLEX (3) Montgomery, Njoku, Brian Robinson
SF (1) Minshew

Lumps
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Lumps » Fri Sep 29, 2023 8:06 am

Two Cents wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 7:49 am
Also, has it occurred to you that Gibbs might not be a great fantasy player but a great impact player - like Reggie Bush? Just because he doesn’t serve our purposes doesn’t make Gibbs a bust or a waste.
If you watched the game, you would see how he is being used. He still had some 5-8 yard gains up the middle last night. However, for a team that drafted him 12th overall, freaked out in the draft room, claimed he was the best space player in the draft, they sure aren’t getting him in space.

Reading in Reddit threads for the game or the Lions, there are plenty that see how he is being used. Then, you have the others arguing with them saying “the Lions don’t care about your fantasy teams.” Yeah, we all know that NONE of the NFL teams care about our fantasy teams. But if how they have used him so far is the plan, they absolutely wasted that 12th pick and a very talented player. There were lots of options for them to take someone who would provide more value at 12 or their initial pick (6?). Last night he was just a decoy/spelling Monty. They have him faking jet sweeps, but otherwise just inserting into Monty role it appears. Just lack of creativity for a player we (and they) see as extremely explosive/versatile. Why is he not out there in 3/4/5 wide?

Hopefully, they are just easing him in and not showing their hand. Game script and how both lines were playing didn’t lend to running explosive plays. Clearly he wasn’t needed to destroy the Packers last night. Let’s hope that’s all it is.

timeEd32
Role Player
Role Player

Postby timeEd32 » Fri Sep 29, 2023 8:25 am

For awhile? You say this as if they draft RBs every year that are potentially fantasy relevant. I’m also curious…what team always drafts a good (fantasy) RB?

Reggie Bush finished top 10 in scoring four times, including his first three seasons (and he missed 10 games combined in years 2 and 3).

killer_of_giants
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby killer_of_giants » Fri Sep 29, 2023 8:29 am

in the three games he played with montgomery healthy, he averaged 7 carries and about 5 targets per game. i didn't expect much more than that to start the season. as for the kind of touches, their scheme doesn't have a ton of outside runs, and the fact that they're using him between the tackles is a good sign for me, they don't want him to be a gadget player, but a proper running back, one that could eventually take the load if needed.

i do expect his role to grow a bit (not that much though). i still think it was a terrible pick, even of he was used more and even though he manages to stay up a lot more/better than i anticipated. when they will be chasing the game, he'll have some big fantasy weeks.

CGW
Legend
Legend

Postby CGW » Fri Sep 29, 2023 8:48 am

All depends how they use him going forward. If this is it...yeah, it was a massive waste of a premium draft pick.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Fri Sep 29, 2023 9:20 am

killer_of_giants wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 8:29 am in the three games he played with montgomery healthy, he averaged 7 carries and about 5 targets per game. i didn't expect much more than that to start the season. as for the kind of touches, their scheme doesn't have a ton of outside runs, and the fact that they're using him between the tackles is a good sign for me, they don't want him to be a gadget player, but a proper running back, one that could eventually take the load if needed.

i do expect his role to grow a bit (not that much though). i still think it was a terrible pick, even of he was used more and even though he manages to stay up a lot more/better than i anticipated. when they will be chasing the game, he'll have some big fantasy weeks.
Here's my thing: RB has evolved.

Running RBs up the middle can work depending on the skillset and player. I think it's a good use of someone like a David Montgomery or Jamaal Williams. But, the players like Gibbs and Achane should be treated as weapons, where the priority is getting them in space, optimizing their opportunities for explosive plays and creating as many mismatches as you can.

Not saying you can't ever play them traditionally, but it's a waste of their skillset to spend most of your time playing them that way.

j4pac
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby j4pac » Fri Sep 29, 2023 9:27 am

Reggie Bush underachieved as a fantasy player. Fantasy wise, MJD was the better player. But that doesn’t mean he was a waste. The Saints don’t win a Super Bowl without Bush. Fantasy football isn’t real football.

I think you can argue that Gibbs is more valuable than Achane without putting up better stats than Achane. But yeah…we do play fantasy football and if I owned Gibbs, I would be let down. In one of my dynasty drafts, Gibbs went 1.02 and Achane went 2.02. There is just no way Gibbs + rando 2nd is greater than Achane + rando 1st…and I’m really doubtful if it ever will. Achane looks just as talented as Gibbs. He’s smaller but looks stronger…both check pretty much the same boxes.
SF, PPR, 12 team, 12 player dynasty

QB- Lawrence, Fields, Tannehill (max 2 keepers, 3 rostered)
RB- Bijan Robinson, T Pollard, Allgeier, Charbonnet, Achane, J Wilson, Kelley, K Williams
WR- Lamb, Jeudy, Hill, C Olave, A Pierce, Shaheed, Bourne
TE- Goedert, Musgrave

killer_of_giants
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby killer_of_giants » Fri Sep 29, 2023 10:16 am

Cameron Giles wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 9:20 am
killer_of_giants wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 8:29 am in the three games he played with montgomery healthy, he averaged 7 carries and about 5 targets per game. i didn't expect much more than that to start the season. as for the kind of touches, their scheme doesn't have a ton of outside runs, and the fact that they're using him between the tackles is a good sign for me, they don't want him to be a gadget player, but a proper running back, one that could eventually take the load if needed.

Here's my thing: RB has evolved.

Running RBs up the middle can work depending on the skillset and player. I think it's a good use of someone like a David Montgomery or Jamaal Williams. But, the players like Gibbs and Achane should be treated as weapons, where the priority is getting them in space, optimizing their opportunities for explosive plays and creating as many mismatches as you can.

Not saying you can't ever play them traditionally, but it's a waste of their skillset to spend most of your time playing them that way.
i agree, and i think he will be used more to his strengths as the season progresses and gamescripts change. but we already know he's explosive in space, the fact he's getting a run out as a more traditional RB (and that he hasn't sucked in that role) is good for him and the team (less predictable when he's in, could ve the main guy if montgomery goes down, etc).

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Fri Sep 29, 2023 6:06 pm

CGW wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 4:57 am Can you tell me other ways to have even less scoring? I'd love to go back to the 90s where final scores in my leagues was like 18-12 (TD only).
LOL. There's plenty of ways to score my man, this league has higher scoring than standard PPR, you just don't get rewarded 4 points for 4 reception that you gain 11 yards on. Most people like it a lot more than their other leagues, due to the scoring structure. I play PPR still, but find it pretty basic, and dull comparatively.

Anyways, back to the thread topic. Still like Gibbs as a player, but I don't think he's being used as well as Achane is, at least the 1 game we saw from Achane. I also don't think Achane will get that high a touch count all that often, but the scheming to suit his strengths was impressive.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick