Achane>Gibbs

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Achane>Gibbs

Postby FantasyFreak » Sun Oct 01, 2023 6:13 pm

Everybody here knows I'd take KW....LOL. I think Achane has as high a ceiling as anyone, TBH. Breece is done, for a while, on upside. I can see RB2, or 3. No joke. Day 2 capital. 99th percentile speed score, coach who knows how to use him and uses him in the RZ AND, AND inside the 5 because he is so creative it works.

I took Kendre over him in 1 league, ugh. I still like Miller, but man, whiff there, for a team that's contending.

Honestly, I'd say it's Bijan 1, CMC 2, Walker 3, and I'd have no issue with putting Achane at 4, if someone said it. That's broad spectrum, if you're a rebuilder, CMC is still 2, but you're moving off him, but honestly, your'e moving off ANY RB if you're not a contender next year, in your rebuild, or you're not doing it right, IMO.

Sometimes we need to see more, and it's a small sample size, but it's instant, and profound, we all knew the upside, and it's firing on all cylinders immediately. This is EXACTLY what should propel a RB, specifically a RB, to that type of ranking. This position is different to others, we know it. Maybe Breece will have a monster season in 2 years, but he might also be a middling at best flex and/or get hurt again.

RB is way more redraft like, for rankings for me, personally, in dynasty. If he was day 3, I'd still have a bit more hesitation, but they didn't even have a first this year, did they?
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

CGW
Legend
Legend

Postby CGW » Sun Oct 01, 2023 6:45 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 6:13 pm Everybody here knows I'd take KW....LOL.
What? No way.

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Sun Oct 01, 2023 6:48 pm

If I had 2 shares of Achane the answer is easy. Keep one, trade one. But I only have 1 share. FML

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sun Oct 01, 2023 6:54 pm

CGW wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 6:45 pm
FantasyFreak wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 6:13 pm Everybody here knows I'd take KW....LOL.
What? No way.
Aaaah, mgscott was first on him, I was higher on Breece, but KW won me over. I had no doubts after last year. Seriously though, Achane is a perfect fit in Miami, RB's rarely last long, take the fit, the points, now, over a bunch of fading assets or guys who have bad situations, etc. Go bold at RB, with enough markers. I think Achane is one of those things. I loved the talent, was skeptical due to his weight, but after seeing what his coach is doing, I am way more confident he's going to be used right, and can put up difference making weeks. He's done it for 2 weeks straight, and he really can win you weeks.

kmbryant09
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby kmbryant09 » Sun Oct 01, 2023 8:38 pm

Is it just me or does he not look small whatsoever? Watching his tape on college showed plenty of ability to overcome his size, but somehow he looks a lot bigger on the NFL field. I know he was putting on weight in the off-season, but he looks like he has the size of a feature back, hardly the 5'8 188lbs he was listed at.
10-team/.5 PPR/5 Pts per Passing TD. Start 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2FLEX (rb/wr/te)
QB: J. Hurts, K. Murray
RB: Bi. Robinson, D. Henry, D. Achane, , J. Cook, Z. Charbonnet, T. Chandler, R. Johnson, K. Mitchell, J.K. Dobbins, T. Allgeier, J. McLaughlin, S. Tucker, T. Bigsby
WR: G. Wilson, B. Aiyuk, J. Waddle, T. Higgins,, Z. Flowers, Di. Johnson, K. Toney, A. Iosivas
TE: K. Pitts, E. Engram, C. Okonkwo, G. Dulcich

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sun Oct 01, 2023 10:02 pm

kmbryant09 wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 8:38 pm Is it just me or does he not look small whatsoever? Watching his tape on college showed plenty of ability to overcome his size, but somehow he looks a lot bigger on the NFL field. I know he was putting on weight in the off-season, but he looks like he has the size of a feature back, hardly the 5'8 188lbs he was listed at.
Yeah, he's stout, at least, that's for sure.

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Mon Oct 02, 2023 2:11 am

kmbryant09 wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 8:38 pm Is it just me or does he not look small whatsoever? Watching his tape on college showed plenty of ability to overcome his size, but somehow he looks a lot bigger on the NFL field. I know he was putting on weight in the off-season, but he looks like he has the size of a feature back, hardly the 5'8 188lbs he was listed at.
There were reports that he was 195 at training camp. He himself chalked it up to his attempt to put on "football weight" now that he wasn't splitting his time and training between football and track.

When the 195lbs reports hit, that's when a lot of the "Poor Mans Jahmyr Gibbs" threads were started up - because if you allow for that 5lbs of variance between them, the profiles start to look awwwwfully similar. (Gibbs still with the edge through the air, Achane better on the ground + the all important ability to be in on Goal Line work)

Of course, now that we're here and living it, it's clear: Achane is no "poor mans" anything. He's a frickin' beast.

killer_of_giants
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby killer_of_giants » Mon Oct 02, 2023 2:43 am

kmbryant09 wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 8:38 pm Is it just me or does he not look small whatsoever? Watching his tape on college showed plenty of ability to overcome his size, but somehow he looks a lot bigger on the NFL field.
big boy pads?

CGW
Legend
Legend

Postby CGW » Mon Oct 02, 2023 5:13 am

He plays bigger than Gibbs and his speed is impressive. Home run waiting to happen on every play for Miami and that's what the system is designed for. I've seen enough in two games to have confidence that he's a high priority fantasy RB going forward. He's already out touching Mostert and that red zone usage is huge for a high scoring offense.

Had a guy ask for a price last week. I gave him one, but it was too much at the time. Curious to see if he asks again this week, because that price tag is getting heavier by the minute.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Mon Oct 02, 2023 5:23 am

Jigga94 wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 6:03 pm
Bijan, Breece, JT, CMC for sure. Walker, Pollard, Jacobs, Etienne are still ahead of him for me, but its getting close. In a Start-up I'm rolling with Achane over Henry or Ekeler easily. Barkley or Achane?? Hmm... that's probably the line. I'm taking Achane over Cook, Gibbs, Rhamondre, Swift. So top 10 RB it would seem already. 5 will take consistency to leapfrog guys like Walker and some others who are still young and are more proven
RBs I think for sure (no order):

- Bijan
- Breece
- Taylor
- Walker
- CMC
- Etienne

It's complicated:

- Pollard (value probably drops if he doesn't re-sign with Dallas)
- Jacobs (depends on landing spot)
- Barkley (depends on landing spot)
- Swift (depends on landing spot)
- Gibbs (need to see better style usage from Detroit)

No:

- Ekeler (turns 29 next season)
- Stevenson (New England)
- Ja. Cook
- Henry (great, but older)
- Chubb (great, but older, injuries)

Could be somewhere in that 8-10 range after the season.

jenkins.math
All Pro
All Pro

Postby jenkins.math » Mon Oct 02, 2023 6:38 am

If you’re waiting on the coaching staff to use Gibbs differently I’m afraid you’re going to be disappointed. This is the same conversation we all had last year with this staff and Swift. Maybe they are just easing him in and saving things for later, but this looks like the same movie.

Secondly, I don’t know that I would automatically take Achane over James Cook. I think Achane’s blowup games will be bigger, but Cook finally got a carry inside the 5 (it was ugly, but that’s a step in the right direction). He is also getting over 15 touches a game and averaging over 5 yards per carry. I know the boards didn’t like James Cook at all, but I see a lot of similarities between the two. Both on great offenses, undersized, will need to be efficient because they aren’t bell cows, day 2 picks, etc. I do think the Dolphins offense is way more creative and Achane has elite home run speed that Cook doesn’t have, but I think those 2 are right there together in terms of rankings.

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Mon Oct 02, 2023 6:47 am

jenkins.math wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 6:38 am If you’re waiting on the coaching staff to use Gibbs differently I’m afraid you’re going to be disappointed. This is the same conversation we all had last year with this staff and Swift. Maybe they are just easing him in and saving things for later, but this looks like the same movie.

Secondly, I don’t know that I would automatically take Achane over James Cook. I think Achane’s blowup games will be bigger, but Cook finally got a carry inside the 5 (it was ugly, but that’s a step in the right direction). He is also getting over 15 touches a game and averaging over 5 yards per carry. I know the boards didn’t like James Cook at all, but I see a lot of similarities between the two. Both on great offenses, undersized, will need to be efficient because they aren’t bell cows, day 2 picks, etc. I do think the Dolphins offense is way more creative and Achane has elite home run speed that Cook doesn’t have, but I think those 2 are right there together in terms of rankings.
I disagree Cook and Achane are that similar. Both are undersized and athletic, but Achane has an extra gear that Cook does not and that is going to make the difference on a lot of big plays. Achane is also a much better interior runner than Cook. I also trust Achane to be able to handle more of a load. Cook had a 21st percentile Dominator in college. best season was 140 touches for 1k yards. Achane on the other hand had a 91st percentile Dominator. One season with 150 touches and close to 1.2k yards and then 240 touches for 1.3k yards. He has proven that he can handle a heavier workload and MIA likes to run more than BUF. I don't think its that close really

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Mon Oct 02, 2023 7:04 am

jenkins.math wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 6:38 am If you’re waiting on the coaching staff to use Gibbs differently I’m afraid you’re going to be disappointed. This is the same conversation we all had last year with this staff and Swift. Maybe they are just easing him in and saving things for later, but this looks like the same movie.
I think you're right, but at the same time Gibbs is super talented and was super productive in college. And still has the 1st round pedigree.

I wouldn't fault anyone who has Achane for preferring him over Gibbs right now. Achane just has a dream parallel of talent to coaching situation right now. But in a startup? It would still be a tough choice. Things can still get better for Gibbs.

killer_of_giants
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby killer_of_giants » Mon Oct 02, 2023 7:22 am

jenkins.math wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 6:38 am Secondly, I don’t know that I would automatically take Achane over James Cook.
i'd take achane over two cooks easily.

CGW
Legend
Legend

Postby CGW » Mon Oct 02, 2023 7:42 am

Cameron Giles wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 7:04 am
I think you're right, but at the same time Gibbs is super talented and was super productive in college. And still has the 1st round pedigree.

I wouldn't fault anyone who has Achane for preferring him over Gibbs right now. Achane just has a dream parallel of talent to coaching situation right now. But in a startup? It would still be a tough choice. Things can still get better for Gibbs.
I'm all about talent over situation pre draft, but for RBs I absolutely take situation into account as running backs shelf life is so short. Having the absolute perfect fit for a rookie RB is pretty valuable.