1.02 aftershock in 1QB with quick drafts after that Gibbs pick

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Space Cowboy
Degenerate
Degenerate

Re: 1.02 aftershock in 1QB with quick drafts after that Gibbs pick

Postby Space Cowboy » Fri Sep 08, 2023 3:50 pm

Did ppl really think Montgomery wouldn’t factor into the backfield? Seriously?

Anyway I still say LB Campbell was a massive reach but that was a clutch pass breakup.

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Fri Sep 08, 2023 4:07 pm

Space Cowboy wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 3:50 pm Did ppl really think Montgomery wouldn’t factor into the backfield? Seriously?
I don't think anyone posted anything saying that? :think:

I think most Gibbs owners are pretty pleased with what he put on tape. I know I am. No chance they can keep him off the field; Gibbs gives them an element as a playmaker that the 3.4 YPC DMont never will. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see this backfield tilt further in Gibbs direction as we go on.

My only bug-a-boo was that Monty still has the 3rd down role. The coaches are likely telling us that DM is still better in protection. That'll change in time - zero doubts there. Gibbs should only have to improve a little bit on that front to tip the scale in his direction, based on what he's bringing both efficiency-wise and as a playmaker.

Someone else said "shades of Jamaal Charles". I thought that exact thing whilst watching yesterday.

He's goddamn electric.

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Fri Sep 08, 2023 6:09 pm

mild wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 4:07 pm
Space Cowboy wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 3:50 pm Did ppl really think Montgomery wouldn’t factor into the backfield? Seriously?

I think most Gibbs owners are pretty pleased with what he put on tape. I know I am. No chance they can keep him off the field; Gibbs gives them an element as a playmaker that the 3.4 YPC DMont never will. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see this backfield tilt further in Gibbs direction as we go on.

My only bug-a-boo was that Monty still has the 3rd down role. The coaches are likely telling us that DM is still better in protection. That'll change in time - zero doubts there. Gibbs should only have to improve a little bit on that front to tip the scale in his direction, based on what he's bringing both efficiency-wise and as a playmaker.

Someone else said "shades of Jamaal Charles". I thought that exact thing whilst watching yesterday.

He's goddamn electric.
I was told I couldn't use Kamara as his comp several times so I landed on Charles. Looks promising after the first few touches. Wish I had some shares but had no early enough picks

jordanzs
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jordanzs » Fri Sep 08, 2023 6:51 pm

In my dynasty leagues, I don’t care about Montgomery being there. I remember when Kamara came into the league, Ingram and Peterson were also on the Saints. Talent will rise up eventually

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Fri Sep 08, 2023 6:58 pm

mild wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 4:07 pm

He's goddamn electric.
I really think you're underestimating how Dan Campbell wants to play ball. Monty will be a big part of what they want to do moving forward, IMO. They had one of the biggest wins for the Franchise in years, and Monty (and Gibbs) was a big reason why. The coaches are telling you Monty is better in pass pro because he is, and with a statue in Goff, that's valuable. It shouldn't matter for Gibbs, there's no reason why you can't find ways to throw him the ball on 1st and 2nd downs. If they continue to involve him, and more often in the passing game, I think he could be a high end RB2 the back half of the year.

I really don't think Monty is going anywhere, though, in terms of leaving the field a whole bunch for Gibbs to be a the high snap share back. TBH, Gibbs is better off not being out there all the time, if you want him to have high efficiency. Monty is going to do all the heavy lifting for this team. Short yardage, Goal line, and pass pro. There's still going to be plenty of snaps for higher leverage touches, out in space. At least that was reason for optimism, IMO. They didn't just plow him into the line 10 times. They tried to get him on the perimeter where he excels, rather than keep him inside where he does not. Rational coaching, have to love it.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Fri Sep 08, 2023 7:28 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 6:58 pm I really don't think Monty is going anywhere, though, in terms of leaving the field a whole bunch for Gibbs to be a the high snap share back. TBH, Gibbs is better off not being out there all the time, if you want him to have high efficiency. Monty is going to do all the heavy lifting for this team. Short yardage, Goal line, and pass pro. There's still going to be plenty of snaps for higher leverage touches, out in space. At least that was reason for optimism, IMO. They didn't just plow him into the line 10 times. They tried to get him on the perimeter where he excels, rather than keep him inside where he does not. Rational coaching, have to love it.
Monty's not going anywhere, but I'm also reeeeeally not worrying about it.

If anything, I think the Monty owners should be the ones with a touch of worry. As this backfield approaches more of a 50-50 split (and I believe it will) it will turn Monty into a truly TD-or-bust fantasy option. Arguably that was already him last night.

Monty had 21 carries and turned it into 78 yards. At one point somewhere into the 3rd Q he was still 10 for 33. There's really not a lot of juice here.

Nothing about a player with that kind of usage nor efficiency scares me. He was out there on 3rd down, but he had no targets.

Gibbs is about to be the back to own in this backfield for fantasy. I think that's abundantly clear.

7 carries for 42 yards, 2 targets, 2 catches, 18 yards. 6 tackles broken on 7 carries. Absurd.

The whole thing reminds me of when Pollard first came on the scene and started making plays - except in this version, Zeke is already fat and slow and out of juice.

The Lions defense has definitely improved, but Mahomes "had" them at multiple points of the game. He can't catch it for them. There is no doubt in my mind that there are going to be games in the future where they are forced to use Gibbs more, because they will have to score more than 21 points to win.

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Sat Sep 09, 2023 10:18 am

mild wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 7:28 pm
FantasyFreak wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 6:58 pm I really don't think Monty is going anywhere, though, in terms of leaving the field a whole bunch for Gibbs to be a the high snap share back. TBH, Gibbs is better off not being out there all the time, if you want him to have high efficiency. Monty is going to do all the heavy lifting for this team. Short yardage, Goal line, and pass pro. There's still going to be plenty of snaps for higher leverage touches, out in space. At least that was reason for optimism, IMO. They didn't just plow him into the line 10 times. They tried to get him on the perimeter where he excels, rather than keep him inside where he does not. Rational coaching, have to love it.
Monty's not going anywhere, but I'm also reeeeeally not worrying about it.

If anything, I think the Monty owners should be the ones with a touch of worry. As this backfield approaches more of a 50-50 split (and I believe it will) it will turn Monty into a truly TD-or-bust fantasy option. Arguably that was already him last night.

Monty had 21 carries and turned it into 78 yards. At one point somewhere into the 3rd Q he was still 10 for 33. There's really not a lot of juice here.

Nothing about a player with that kind of usage nor efficiency scares me. He was out there on 3rd down, but he had no targets.

Gibbs is about to be the back to own in this backfield for fantasy. I think that's abundantly clear.

7 carries for 42 yards, 2 targets, 2 catches, 18 yards. 6 tackles broken on 7 carries. Absurd.

The whole thing reminds me of when Pollard first came on the scene and started making plays - except in this version, Zeke is already fat and slow and out of juice.

The Lions defense has definitely improved, but Mahomes "had" them at multiple points of the game. He can't catch it for them. There is no doubt in my mind that there are going to be games in the future where they are forced to use Gibbs more, because they will have to score more than 21 points to win.
They averaged over 26 points a game last year without Gibbs and with largely the same offense otherwise. Most games they won’t need to be as grindy to keep the opposing QB off the field and will pass, and score, a lot more. I’m not sure if that helps or hurts Gibbs as it will depend on how much he can pick up in the passing game. Right now Monty has 79% of the snaps. I don’t think the Pollard comparison is a bad one, but I think this is 2021 Pollard, not 2022. You might be waiting a year before you get a solid level of consistency.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Sat Sep 09, 2023 12:45 pm

ericanadian wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 10:18 am They averaged over 26 points a game last year without Gibbs and with largely the same offense otherwise. Most games they won’t need to be as grindy to keep the opposing QB off the field and will pass, and score, a lot more. I’m not sure if that helps or hurts Gibbs as it will depend on how much he can pick up in the passing game. Right now Monty has 79% of the snaps. I don’t think the Pollard comparison is a bad one, but I think this is 2021 Pollard, not 2022. You might be waiting a year before you get a solid level of consistency.
Deandre Swift managed 70 targets in that same offense last year, even in his limited state. It's clear that Gibbs is in the same role.

He's also got a LOT more juice than Monty. Speed, tackle breaking, pass catching - he's already head and shoulders above DM in those aspects. And Man Campbell has outright said they're going to feed him more.
#Lions coach Dan Campbell says Jahmyr Gibbs' low snap count against KC was by design. He wanted to let him get a glimpse of what the game looked like before unleashing him.

"He'll begin to get more touches now, so that was just the beginning last night."
I honestly wouldn't be in a rush to draw any conclusions on Gibbs opportunity going forward based on what we saw in Game 1.

Lotttttttt of season left. Most rookies are eased in. The difference to me was night and day... Gibbs is way scarier for the defense when he's out there. Awesome player... I'm excited for him.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sat Sep 09, 2023 6:59 pm

mild wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 12:45 pm
He's also got a LOT more juice than Monty. Speed, tackle breaking, pass catching - he's already head and shoulders above DM in those aspects. And Man Campbell has outright said they're going to feed him more.
#Lions coach Dan Campbell says Jahmyr Gibbs' low snap count against KC was by design. He wanted to let him get a glimpse of what the game looked like before unleashing him.

Don't agree with this. They are living in different worlds. Monty is being asked to break tackles vs 310 pound people and Linebackers. He's lives inside, somewhere Gibbs never will. Gibbs is being asked to break tackles on the perimeter, vs DB's. Gibbs hasn't ever been a guy that's shown to be an interior runner, he's too small to be a tackle breaker inside. That's fine, too, he shouldn't be. I just think it's important to understand Montgomery does some things that Jahmyr Gibbs isn't as good at, and won't be able to hold up to. He's a more talented player, clearly, but he's not better at everything than Monty, when it comes to playing the RB position.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sat Sep 09, 2023 7:00 pm

Deandre Swift managed 70 targets in that same offense last year, even in his limited state. It's clear that Gibbs is in the same role.

Don't agree with this. They are living in different worlds. Monty is being asked to break tackles vs 310 pound people and Linebackers. He's lives inside, somewhere Gibbs never will. Gibbs is being asked to break tackles on the perimeter, vs DB's. Gibbs hasn't ever been a guy that's shown to be an interior runner, he's too small to be a tackle breaker inside. That's fine, too, he shouldn't be. I just think it's important to understand Montgomery does some things that Jahmyr Gibbs isn't as good at, and won't be able to hold up to. Gibbs is clearly t a more talented player, clearly, but he's not better at everything than Monty, when it comes to playing the RB position.

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Sat Sep 09, 2023 10:42 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 7:00 pm

Don't agree with this. They are living in different worlds. Monty is being asked to break tackles vs 310 pound people and Linebackers. He's lives inside, somewhere Gibbs never will. Gibbs is being asked to break tackles on the perimeter, vs DB's. Gibbs hasn't ever been a guy that's shown to be an interior runner, he's too small to be a tackle breaker inside. That's fine, too, he shouldn't be. I just think it's important to understand Montgomery does some things that Jahmyr Gibbs isn't as good at, and won't be able to hold up to. Gibbs is clearly t a more talented player, clearly, but he's not better at everything than Monty, when it comes to playing the RB position.
That's fine. All good if that's the view you want to go with.

At the end of the year the raw stat is likely going to vastly favour Gibbs if he continues at this torrid rate. By the numbers, it will look better. Missed tackles forced threatens to be a landslide. And even you would have to admit - Gibbs bounced off some tackles in Game 1 that I thought were the type that would normally bring him down - contact balance wasn't his calling card coming in.

I mean hey, if we're already down to doing the "well actually-ing" for a 3.3 YPC runner then I don't really know that I need to make a further case here.

This would be like selecting AJ Dillon over Aaron Jones - except if Aaron Jones was the young one at 21 years old, selected 12th overall, and running a 4.3 forty.

I still maintain that once this backfield tilts further to Gibbs - and how could it not - that D-Mont will be in danger of being a TD-or-bust RB week-to-week. (Luckily enough for him and his shareholders, Jamaal Williams scored 17 TD's in this role last year)

bcap88
Rookie
Rookie

Postby bcap88 » Sun Sep 10, 2023 12:15 am

I think a lot of the Gibbs panic is coming from the re drafters.

The dynasty Boi’s are Chillen and loved what they seen
12 Team 1qb ppr 6 pt tds

QB:Mahomes,Stafford,
RB:Bijan,Gibbs,javonte Williams,Hubbard, Aaron jones,gainwell
WR:Higgins,London,aiyuk,Jsn
TE:Goedert,Fant
Taxi:Austin,pierce,Phillips,okonkwo,Washington,Jarrett,tucker, hooker

2025,2026 two first round picks in both years

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sun Sep 10, 2023 8:53 am

bcap88 wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 12:15 am I think a lot of the Gibbs panic is coming from the re drafters.

The dynasty Boi’s are Chillen and loved what they seen
Yeah. These people had the nerve to call out Campbell and the OC as if they were stupid. :lol: . "Gibbs is better... "give him the ball more", "what are these guys doing?"..."I thought this OC was supposed to be some genius"...bla bla. They just won the biggest game the franchise has won in a while. Gibbs was highly efficient and helped their win. Monty got the tough yards and helped them keep the ball away from Mahomes. Sometimes people forget we are playing a fake game based off a real game. The coaches have no care in the world for FF points. They care about using their players abilities as part of a game plan, to win a football game. The Lions won on the road against the defending Champs. Big credit is due, for their staff.

Lumps
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Lumps » Sun Sep 10, 2023 6:33 pm

mild wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 3:14 pm

"He'll begin to get more touches now, so that was just the beginning last night."

https://twitter.com/nolanbianchi/status ... 3989840329

nathanq42
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby nathanq42 » Sun Sep 10, 2023 6:53 pm

Honestly, given how few receiving options the Lions have I wouldn't be surprised to see Gibbs split out wide or moved into the slot when Monty is in the backfield, you could even have the two of them in the backfield, have Monty run the PA and Gibbs running a route out of the backfield, put Gibbs in motion, have him run jet sweeps etc.

There is so much you can do with Gibbs given how electric he is as a runner (as long as it is not inside) and a receiver. Clearly the Lions have wanted this kind of dual threat weapon to capture what the saints had with Kamara and Ingram back in the day.

It's going to be very fun when they get Jamo back and have a proper deep threat that can challenge a defense deep downfield.

As a Gibbs owner I don't really care about the exact split at the moment, I appreciate the coaches easing him in. He looks to be regularly the fastest and quickest guy on the field, the coaches and management are nuts about him, he will be leveraged to the full extent of his ability which would appear to be quite high
12 Team 1 ppr .1 points per carry
Garbage
QB Jalen Hurts
RB A-train, D'Onta Foreman,Jahmyr Gibbs, JK Dobbins, Rashaad Penny, AJ Dillon, Jerrick McKinnon, Joshua Kelley, TDP, Chase Edmonds, JRob, Zamir White
WR CeeDee Lamb, Justin Jefferson, DJ Moore, Hollywood Brown, Brandin Cooks, Odell Beckham Junior, Marvin Jones, Braxton Berrios, Richie James
TE Dalton Kincaid, Foster Moreau
+2 Flex
1.02, 1.06