FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Jordan Love: Superflex talk

Postby FantasyFreak » Mon Jan 22, 2024 7:51 pm

trc wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:26 pm
JoeJoe88 wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 11:27 am
trc wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 11:23 am

I have seen this strategy mentioned before. But never seen an explanation to why AR is better suited for 1QB than SF+?
I think it’s because in 1QB you need a true difference maker to really set yourself apart from the rest of the league. Arich has the potential to be the QB1 like a Hurts or Allen due to his rushing ability.

Love is likely safer, albeit has a lower ceiling.
You need that in SF too?
My thinking is that you need difference makers in most leagues. I could see a preference for stability if you go into full idp or with start 12+ offensive players.
I mean, Love was a top 5 QB in his first year as a starter with an unknown/inexperienced receiving cast. Having a top 5 QB in a Superflex, with your QB2 or 3, which Love is for a lot of teams, IS a difference maker, vs most teams. He's was a high end QB1 that you got for super cheap.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

trc
Captain
Captain

Postby trc » Tue Jan 23, 2024 12:28 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 7:51 pm
JoeJoe88 wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 11:27 am

I think it’s because in 1QB you need a true difference maker to really set yourself apart from the rest of the league. Arich has the potential to be the QB1 like a Hurts or Allen due to his rushing ability.

Love is likely safer, albeit has a lower ceiling.
You need that in SF too?
My thinking is that you need difference makers in most leagues. I could see a preference for stability if you go into full idp or with start 12+ offensive players.
I mean, Love was a top 5 QB in his first year as a starter with an unknown/inexperienced receiving cast. Having a top 5 QB in a Superflex, with your QB2 or 3, which Love is for a lot of teams, IS a difference maker, vs most teams. He's was a high end QB1 that you got for super cheap.
Nothing to disagree with here.
My question wasn't in regard to Love, but to the thoughtprocess behind that AR is valued higher or more preferred in 1QB compared to SF/2QB leagues.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Tue Jan 23, 2024 12:58 am

trc wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 12:28 am
FantasyFreak wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 7:51 pm

You need that in SF too?
Nothing to disagree with here.
My question wasn't in regard to Love, but to the thoughtprocess behind that AR is valued higher or more preferred in 1QB compared to SF/2QB leagues.
:thumbup:

No worries.

moishetreats
Legend
Legend

Postby moishetreats » Tue Jan 23, 2024 8:20 am

trc wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 12:28 am My question wasn't in regard to Love, but to the thoughtprocess behind that AR is valued higher or more preferred in 1QB compared to SF/2QB leagues.
I get the question and actually completely subscribe to this thinking in general. For my 2nd QB (or even my 1st) in a 1QB league, I want upside, upside, upside. It's not usually hard to find back-end QB1 production in any given wire. A waiver wire backup steps in and produces; they're cheap to trade for; or you might simply roster that player already. So I really only want players with a chance at elite production.

In SF/2QB, I'd MUCH rather have someone likely to finish in, say, the top-8 over the next decade than, say, the top-3 over the next 3 years before they could crash.

So, yeah, Richardson is far more appealing to me in a 1QB league than SF/2QB -- he'd be a target in the former and trade in the latter in my book.

The biggest issue I see with the AR/Love comparison, though, is that Love himself could put together elite numbers. As noted in other places, he was already top-5. There is definitely, definitely, definitely room for him to fall down a bunch in the stats (and still be a great real and fantasy QB). And there is also the possibility of him getting better and moving into that top-3 tier. He runs just enough to bolster those stats. So the challenge with your thought-process (with which I agree in general) in this *specific* case between AR and Love is that AR's ceiling isn't necessarily that much higher than Love's.

If it were, say, AR vs. Tua (whom I think has a much lower ceiling -- if you disagree, then don't make this about Tua but rather about whatever player you would in his place), then I think it makes a more compelling case. [Of course, you might also be of the belief that Love has a limited ceiling and that his top-5 finish won't be repeated. In that case, the comparison is fine! :thumbup: I simply think that's less likely the consensus belief right now, making the comparison in general apt but tough in the specific AR/Love case.]
10 tms 27 plrs PPR
Start: 2QB 2RB 3WR 2TE 2Flex / best ball

QB: Herbert, Love, Rodgers, G Smith, Stidham, T Taylor, Hall
RB: McCaffrey, Mixon, Pacheco, Montgomery, Z White, Allgeier, Dillon
WR: Hill, St. Brown, Kupp, Allen, Lockett, B Johnson
TE: Kelce, Kmet, Kraft, Okonkwo, Dulcich, Tremble

2024: 2.09, 3.07, 3.08, 3.10, 4.08
2025: 2nd (x2), 4th, 5th (x2)
2026: 1st, 2nd (x2), 3rd, 4th, 5th

12 tms 22 active plyrs. Salary Cap $300 PPR
Start: 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1SF 1Flex / best ball

QB: Lawrence (contract through 2026), Love ('24), Rodgers ('24), Stidham ('25), Lock ('25)
RB: Bijan Robinson ('25), Pollard ('27), Dillon ('24), Rodriguez ('24), Spiller ('24)
WR: G Wilson ('26), AJ Brown ('26), DJ Montgomery ('25)
TE: --
2024 Cap Spent: $186

IR: --
TAXI SQUAD (4 max): --

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:52 am

moishetreats wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 8:20 am
trc wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 12:28 am My question wasn't in regard to Love, but to the thoughtprocess behind that AR is valued higher or more preferred in 1QB compared to SF/2QB leagues.
The biggest issue I see with the AR/Love comparison, though, is that Love himself could put together elite numbers. As noted in other places, he was already top-5. There is definitely, definitely, definitely room for him to fall down a bunch in the stats (and still be a great real and fantasy QB). And there is also the possibility of him getting better and moving into that top-3 tier. He runs just enough to bolster those stats. So the challenge with your thought-process (with which I agree in general) in this *specific* case between AR and Love is that AR's ceiling isn't necessarily that much higher than Love's.
I started all this by saying AR > Love in 1QB. I have thought it over a bit and would probably walk that back because I do think Love has shown great upside. And while AR may have slightly more, his floor is way lower. But I also don't play in 1QB outside of redraft really so haven't thought it over too much.

I agree Love has probably placed himself out of this conversation (upside vs safety in 1QB) and it would be better to look at Tua vs AR or someone along those lines in the backend QB1 conversation

cazzie33
All Pro
All Pro

Postby cazzie33 » Tue Jan 23, 2024 12:33 pm

Not in my top 5 next year although he could progress like he did this year to get there. Back end QB1 floor should be attainable w/o injury

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Fri Feb 02, 2024 12:37 am

Packers GM wants to discuss a long term deal with Love.

Not surprising, after this year.

TheTroll
Legend
Legend

Postby TheTroll » Fri Feb 02, 2024 2:07 am

Makes sense
Team 1
Dynasty 10 team, 22 roster + 6 Taxi, PPR
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 Flex, 1 TE, K, Def

QB: Love, Goff, Fields
RB: Bijan, Montgomery, Kamara, Ford, K Herbert, Zeke, Mattison
WR: Jefferson, Olave, London, Ridley, Sutton, Shaheed
TE: Kincaid, Kittle, Freiermuth
K: Tucker, Sanders
DEF: CLE

Taxi: Charbs, K Mitchell, Demercado, QJ, D Douglas, W Robinson, Hooker

Picks
2024: 1.03, 3.06, 3.09, 4.09
2025: 2, 3, 3, 3, 4, 5
2026: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Team 2
Dynasty 10 team, 22 man roster + 6 Taxi, PPR, SF and TEP
1QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 Flex, 1 S Flex

QB: Allen, Goff, Watson, Jones
RB: K Williams, B Robinson, Chubb, Ford, Mostert, A Gibson, Dillon, Pierce, Zeke
WR: Olave, T Hill, Addison, D Adams, C Watson, D Johnson, G Davis, OBJ
TE: Kincaid, Kmet, Goedert

Taxi: Willis, DTR, Mims, K Miller, Demercado, Vaughn

Picks
2024: 1.08, 2.02
2025: 1, 3, 4, 5
2026: 1, 2, 2, 3, 4, 5

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Fri Feb 02, 2024 6:49 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 12:37 am Packers GM wants to discuss a long term deal with Love.

Not surprising, after this year.
Luckily they got Love to take that 2 year extension that replaced his 5th year option, or they'd have been operating with even more urgency on this front right now.

Would have taken their 2024 cap hit from 12 million for him all the way up to the 5th year option of 21-ish million. Great work by Gutekust on that one.