Anyone Trust Roy Helu (or Mike Shanny) Longterm?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
MARKinMI
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Re: Anyone Trust Roy Helu (or Mike Shanny) Longterm?

Postby MARKinMI » Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:22 am

The point of topic was about him using a RBBC and thus killing the value of his RBs for fantasy purposes. I disagree with that. Speaking As a life long Denver Bronco fan your not taking into account various things in your little chart. He had like 6 straight 1000 yd rushers which doesnt happen in a crazy never know whos starting committee approach. He rode each of those guys until they were hurt and surplanted by the next out of nowhere RB. i agree and its been well documented that shanny (rightly so) thought he could take a certain type of RB and make him good in that system with that O-line regardless of petigree. Droughns was dealt due to contract issues, Anderson was allowed to leave to cash in and more importantly Portis was dealt for 2 reasons. 1) Shanny didn't like his attitude, his flashyness and more importantly the broncos had just gotten thrashed by the colts passing attack in the playoffs and had a chance to get (at the time) the best DB in NFL (Champ Bailey). Tatum Bell was moved on from because he just didnt run thru tackles (despite being a 2nd round pick), same with selvin young. what your list doesnt show is that Shannahan looks to have had a fundemental change in thinking after those RBs on your list. He wasted a high (for shanny) pick on Clarrett after failing with Tatum Bell's 2nd round drafting and when that failed He spent a ton of money to sign travis henry to be THE GUY. Henry like all of the denver RBs the next few years couldn't stay on the field due to injury. My point is that if shannahan finds a RB he trusts, and that RB can stay healthy, he will ride them.

Misfit74
Legend
Legend

Postby Misfit74 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:06 pm

I think we should all defer to Skip on this one. :thumbup: :wink:
#GoHawks / @am_misfit / Fractal Audio / Matrix Amplification / Axe FX II XL+ / ESP, Schecter Guitars

ascherb
Starter
Starter

Postby ascherb » Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:42 pm

I guess I'm gonna keep him and wait and see what he does the rest of this year before I do anything.

Hightower is likely going to leave, right? And Torain obviously isn't a stud RB in this league, so that leaves Helu and the former Penn State RB (Roysten? sp?).

Chances are good that Helu is gonna be the guy IMO, at least until he proves he can't.
Please give us a visit for awesome FF content:

extrapointff.com

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:31 pm

I've said my peace on this topic already. If you can't bank on 8 years of evidence then you are a lost cause. I don't trust Shanahan THIS WEEK, much less long term. The second that Tashard Choice gets healthy, guaranteed he gets his week to start while Helu (assuming he is even still the starter) gets the bench. Shanny's system may work great for him, but for fantasy owners it is a nightmare. I would love to have Helu on my team if played in any other offense. But not in Washington. His talent will be wasted.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

MARKinMI
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby MARKinMI » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:35 pm

skip wrote:I've said my peace on this topic already. If you can't bank on 8 years of evidence then you are a lost cause. I don't trust Shanahan THIS WEEK, much less long term. The second that Tashard Choice gets healthy, guaranteed he gets his week to start while Helu (assuming he is even still the starter) gets the bench. Shanny's system may work great for him, but for fantasy owners it is a nightmare. I would love to have Helu on my team if played in any other offense. But not in Washington. His talent will be wasted.
I just dont understand your 8 year comment. I got lots of great seasons from shannahan RBs. As for Helu... he's a rookie that had no camp. It's pretty clear that shannahan is easing him in as he learns the offense and protections.

Water Buffalo
Legend
Legend

Postby Water Buffalo » Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:39 pm

Shanny naming Torain the starter today = LOL

MikeCross
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby MikeCross » Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:48 pm

Water Buffalo wrote:Shanny naming Torain the starter today = LOL
ROFL
On a side note, Shanny is completely out of his mind. Him and his kid are stealing money from Snyder. Horrible coaches. Elway was obv running those DEN teams, not ^^.
"Ize jus bein rebellion... inda scrip cluh"
Adam "PacMan" Jones

ascherb
Starter
Starter

Postby ascherb » Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:50 pm

I honestly don't get Shanny.

Helu is easily the most talented RB they have and yet he continues to fock around with Torain.
Please give us a visit for awesome FF content:

extrapointff.com

MikeCross
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby MikeCross » Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:16 pm

Since Hightower went down, he has started the back no one thought he would start, every week.
"Ize jus bein rebellion... inda scrip cluh"
Adam "PacMan" Jones

Steelersfan
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Steelersfan » Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:20 pm

MikeCross wrote:Since Hightower went down, he has started the back no one thought he would start, every week.
And now Shanny's playing QB roulette... :crazy:

Team Canada
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Team Canada » Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:25 pm

Steelersfan wrote:
MikeCross wrote:Since Hightower went down, he has started the back no one thought he would start, every week.
it is not like FF teams were depending on John Beck or Rex Grossman every week... heck you wouldn't catch me starting neither of those QBs all year.
Don't bet against Nightmarion...he made me look like a fool :)

10 team $250 cap, 0.5 ppr- QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, flex
QB- Brady ($18/2yrs),Ponder ($5/1yr)
RB- CJ ($25/3yrs), AP($25/2yrs), Spiller ($15/2yrs), Martin ($10/4yrs), L.James($2/4yrs)
WR- Dem Thomas ($41/1yr), Nicks ($20/3yrs), Fitzgerald ($20/2yrs), Tampa Mike ($18/2yrs), Jeffery ($6/3yrs), V.Brown($5/1yr)
TE- Graham ($15/2yrs), Brandon Myers ($1/1yr), Dennis Pitta ($1/1yr)
Picks- 1.1, 1.2, 1.4, 1.5, 1.9, 2.9

12 team ppr, QB, RB, WR, TE, 4 flexes
QB- Arod, Fitz, Gabbert
RB- Lynch, Spiller, Ridley, Hunter, Gerhart, Goodson, Benson
WR- Fitz, White, Britt, Maclin, Vjax, Little, Jean, Jenkins, Shipley, Easley, Edelman, Gettis, A.Holmes, Lockette, Morgan, R.Wallace
TE- V.Davis, Stocker, J.Thomas, DJ Williams

Steelersfan
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Steelersfan » Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:28 pm

Team Canada wrote:
Steelersfan wrote:
it is not like FF teams were depending on John Beck or Rex Grossman every week... heck you wouldn't catch me starting neither of those QBs all year.
I was forced to play Beck in week 7 due to injury and bye week issues...and I won so I was depending on Beck that week. Every week is important... :crazy:

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:16 am

FWIW, Rotoworld seems to think they have at least something figured out...

Coach Mike Shanahan had no real explanation for his decision to feature Ryan Torain in Sunday's loss to the Dolphins.
Shanahan talked up Roy Helu as his every-down back last week and then started Torain yesterday. "I wanted to give Ryan a chance to see what he could do against a very good defensive team," Shanahan said. After Torain was blatantly ineffective through two-plus quarters, Helu got a shot to play every down as the "passing" back. We can't predict who will start next week's game, but we can confidently say that Helu projects as the more productive player.

Anyone familiar with the silly camp song, "This is the song that never ends."? This is what we have here...a discussion which continues to go round and round as it has for a long time between those who seem to think they hit on a valuable asset in a Shanahan backfield and those that think there isn't one.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

HHorsie
Role Player
Role Player

Postby HHorsie » Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:52 pm

Maybe Mike is so out of his mind that he is purposely screwing around with FF leagues. Maybe he owns Torain in a Fantasy league or something. :lol: He is a horrible coach and his players have to have very little respect for someone who obviously does not value his players. I know if I was playing and a coach threw me under the bus because I had a "bad" game and then still sat me following a franchise record breaking game I would be doing everything that I could to get out of the situation. He is just tipping the scale in favor of his ridiculous philosophy that franchise RB's are a dime a dozen. If a player has success he purposely ruins the opportunity to continue that success. In essence he is stacking the cards in favor of his 'philosophy.' I cannot wait until the Redskins move on.

lake3711
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby lake3711 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:05 pm

That was a bummer. Shanahan is a weird dude. Maybe he will start Tashard Choice this week.

I don't understand why you wouldnt want your young players to get some experience, or get a chance to evaluate them. Or just try to win because Helu is better.
12 Team PPR, QB 6points Pass TD, Start 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 1flex

QB: Justin Herbert, Sam Darnold
RB: Saquon Barkley, Rhamondre Stevenson, D'Andre Swift, Javonte Williams, Jamaal Williams, D'Onta Foreman
WR: DK Metcalf, Christian Watson, Nuk Hopkins, Keenan Allen, Brandon Aiyuk, Gabe Davis
TE: Greg Dulcich, Trey McBride, Jake Ferguson