Lamar or Fields

This is the spot for player-to-player comparisons.
Zech13
Captain
Captain

Lamar or Fields

Postby Zech13 » Fri Feb 17, 2023 2:59 am

Straight up who would you rather have Lamar or Fields? Why do you prefer one over the other?

Gator Sens
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Lamar or Fields

Postby Gator Sens » Fri Feb 17, 2023 8:37 am

Jackson still for me. He is not that far removed from elite fantasy production and had a down year. His passing is better overall than Fields with all the same upside.

MacDaddy123
MVP
MVP

Postby MacDaddy123 » Sat Feb 18, 2023 1:39 am

Fields for me, as if I am taking a running QB, I want the one with the younger, fresher legs.

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Sat Feb 18, 2023 1:56 am

Jackson by a long distance. There are lingering rumors the Bears might even draft a QB with their first pick. No way I'm trading Lamar for a guy who might be replaced in a couple of months.
TEAM 1:
12 Team ppr w/20 keepers - start 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1FLX 6IDP 1DEF
QB: Tua, Lamar, Levis
RB: Etienne, Pacheco, JavonteWms, JFord, CEH
WR: Lamb, JChase, Waddle, Pickens, MWilliams, Q Johnston
TE: Goedert, Friermuth
DEF: Cowboys, Ravens
IDP:(LB) Bolton, Greenlaw; (DE/DL) ZCollins, BJHill; (S/CB) Pitre, Bates, Witherspoon
2023 & 2022 Champion: 2020 third place: 2019 Champion

TEAM 2:
14 Team 30roster SF/ppr/TEP - QB/RB/WR/TE/5FLX/SF
QB: Tua, CJStroud, Carr, AOC, MWhite, Lock
RB: Etienne, Stevenson, GusE, AJD, Singletary, CEH, Spiller
WR: Amon-Ra, Kirk, Dell, Thielen, Gallup, Ch Jones
TE: Andrews, Waller, Taysom, Smythe, WMallory, JOliver
2023 semifinals loser

MacDaddy123
MVP
MVP

Postby MacDaddy123 » Sat Feb 18, 2023 10:19 pm

Anteaters wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 1:56 am Jackson by a long distance. There are lingering rumors the Bears might even draft a QB with their first pick. No way I'm trading Lamar for a guy who might be replaced in a couple of months.
You do realize that Lamar may no longer be a Raven, don't you?

I think that Lamar and Fields will both be starting QB's in the NFL in 2023, we just are not sure what teams they will be playing for.

StripesOfKC
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby StripesOfKC » Sun Feb 19, 2023 12:09 am

Lamar because he is far far better at football and was putting up MVP stats his second year while Fields is like the 30th best passer of the starting QBs his second year

TF kinda question is this? It's like asking Kenny Pickett or Justin Herbert--the guy you hope Pickett turns into

Csl312
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Csl312 » Sun Feb 19, 2023 10:50 pm

Anteaters wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 1:56 am Jackson by a long distance. There are lingering rumors the Bears might even draft a QB with their first pick. No way I'm trading Lamar for a guy who might be replaced in a couple of months.
To be fair these rumors are very likely coming from the Bears to increase the price of trading into that slot for Young. "Oh actually we might want that guy after all. It's going to take a reeeeaallllly good offer to make us move the pick". As a fan of the team - they can't develop a QB at all. Better to gain more assets and hope they don't screw up everything than grab another QB to run for his life on every play and have nobody to throw it to while the defense couldn't stop Appalachian State.

That said, you'd be crazy to take Fields over Jackson. Lamar has more to his game than running and has proven he can win. Fields still has to prove he can be Jackson much less better. He may - but why take that gamble?

MacDaddy123
MVP
MVP

Postby MacDaddy123 » Mon Feb 20, 2023 6:50 pm

StripesOfKC wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 12:09 am Lamar because he is far far better at football and was putting up MVP stats his second year while Fields is like the 30th best passer of the starting QBs his second year

TF kinda question is this? It's like asking Kenny Pickett or Justin Herbert--the guy you hope Pickett turns into
Interesting, as I don't see the Lamar/Fields comparison anywhere near the Pickett/Herbert conversation. :lol:

More like the Herbert/ TLaw conversation.

I have seen dozens of startup mocks in the 2023 season so far, and even been part of one.
Herbert is a top 6 pick in every draft, while Pickett is a 4th/5th round pick.

Fields and Lamar are both back end 1st round picks, in every draft so far.
Both go somewhere in between 1.09 and 1.11 99% of the time, with one going in front of the other 50% of the time.

From what I have seen Lamar/Fields is a razor thin discussion that will have supporters on both sides.
Herbert/Pickett is just a joke.

Lamar/Fields is like Garrett Wilson/Waddle, whereas Herbert/Pickett is like Lamb/ Pittman from what I have seen from the community.

stpilots98
Role Player
Role Player

Postby stpilots98 » Tue Feb 21, 2023 10:53 am

I agree it's definitely Lamar right now, who is still the more talented runner, on a better team and a more stable organization. I think the media driven he might leave, is laughable. As far as upside, I'd have to go with Field per my reasons below. His floor though is a lot lower.

Gator Sens wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 8:37 am Jackson still for me. He is not that far removed from elite fantasy production and had a down year. His passing is better overall than Fields with all the same upside.

Is that judged by his better completion percentage or ability to run an offense? If we are talking pure arm talent, I don't think anyone can say Lamar's is better than Justin. If you look at Fields film, you get excited by his arm, especially his deep ball. Lamar will always be capped by his inability to be consistently throwing outside the numbers and his deep ball. A lot of blame has fallen on Roman this year, but I believe the offense is just capped by what Lamar can do.

As for Justin, I'd like to see what that is like when they surround him by some weapons. Can he also improve going through his progressions consistently and can his pre snap reads improve. He has all the tools physically.
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex

QB - Fields, Howell, Levis, Rodgers
RB - Montgomery, Dillon, Achane, Ford, Foreman Spears, De. Johnson, Ch. Brown
WR - Di Johnson, Olave, DJM, JSN, Addison, Dell, E. Moore, R. Moore, Pierce, Osborne, Atwell, Reynolds
TE - Kincaid, Hudson

1.01, 1.09, 1.10

1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 4 Flex, SF

QB - Hurts, Fields, Howell, Bridgewater, Wentz, Hoyer
RB - Barkley, Mixon, Dillon, Spears, Foreman, CEH, Murray, Strong
WR - Jefferson, Higgins, Allen, R. Moore, Palmer, MVS, Patrick, Reynolds, Woods, Osborne, Campbell, Raymond
TE - Musgrave, I. Smith, Henry, Washington

2nd

1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 3 Flex, SF

QB - Carr, Garoppolo, Levis, Trubisky, Darnold, Trask, Wentz, Walker
RB - Robinson, Achane, R. Jones, CEH, Kelley, Mitchell, Mason
WR - Adams, Higgins, Wilson, DJM, Brown, Cooks, Boyd, MVS, R. Moore, Boutte
TE - Kinkaid, Knox, Conklin

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Thu Feb 23, 2023 4:28 am

stpilots98 wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 10:53 am I agree it's definitely Lamar right now, who is still the more talented runner, on a better team and a more stable organization. I think the media driven he might leave, is laughable. As far as upside, I'd have to go with Field per my reasons below. His floor though is a lot lower.

Gator Sens wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 8:37 am Jackson still for me. He is not that far removed from elite fantasy production and had a down year. His passing is better overall than Fields with all the same upside.

Is that judged by his better completion percentage or ability to run an offense? If we are talking pure arm talent, I don't think anyone can say Lamar's is better than Justin. If you look at Fields film, you get excited by his arm, especially his deep ball. Lamar will always be capped by his inability to be consistently throwing outside the numbers and his deep ball. A lot of blame has fallen on Roman this year, but I believe the offense is just capped by what Lamar can do.

As for Justin, I'd like to see what that is like when they surround him by some weapons. Can he also improve going through his progressions consistently and can his pre snap reads improve. He has all the tools physically.
Good post. I would say that last bit about needing weapons would apply to Lamar as well. He needs receivers who can win outside/deep if you expect to see more consistency in that area of the field.

Otherwise, these 2 are fairly close in talent and range of outcomes, but I still lean Lamar

murphysxm
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby murphysxm » Thu Feb 23, 2023 8:56 am

This is not a serious question to me. Lamar is better. period.
I am just a guy sharing some thoughts

DYNASTY BALLA$
Starter
Starter

Postby DYNASTY BALLA$ » Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:04 am

Lamar for me as well, but I can understand why some are chooing Fields. He had a breakout year, is younger, has fresher legs and has not had three years of injury history like Lamar has

and he has an agent :thumbup:
FFPC $2500 #6 ~ 12 team PPR/QB/TE1.5
QB: Josh Allen
RB: CMC, Zeke, Spears, Mattison, Justice Hill
WR: Kupp, Tyreek, Diggs, DSmith, MWilliams
TE: Andrews, Ferguson

FFPC $2500 #5 ~ 12 team PPR/QB/TE1.5 (2021 Champ)
QB: Josh Allen
RB: CMC, Jacobs, Ekeler, Monty, Achane,
WR: Kupp, Pittman, Amari, Ridley, Lockett
TE: Andrews, Ferguson

FFPC $750 #46 ~ 12 team PPR/QB/TE1.5
QB: Mahomes
RB: Bijan, Gibbs, Saquon, Kyren, Javonte
WR: Tyreek, Kupp, Waddle, Wan'Dale
TE: Hock, LaPorta

DoubleBlue
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby DoubleBlue » Mon Apr 03, 2023 7:54 pm

In a 4 player including QB keeper league.
Standard scoring.
I have had Lamar since drafting him at startup 3 years ago.
I picked up Fields last season when Lamar went down.
Gotta make this choice this season when keepers need to be filed.

I swing back and forth weekly ....
This week leaning to Fields just because of his age and the feeling of optimism in Chicago around the team and their prospects compared to the unsettled situation in Baltimore where Lamar may also hold out ..

Reljac
Captain
Captain

Postby Reljac » Sat May 20, 2023 10:08 am

I have zero love for Fields, so saying this with Bias... Last year his sack rating was 30th, behind Matt Ryan and a bunch of other immobile QBs.

His 2021 QBR was so bad that he finished 507th of 521 qualifying QBs in the historical list. The only QBs with a worst season are:
Jimmy Clausen
Blaine Gabbert
Andrew Walter
Josh Rosen
Baker Mayfield
Matt Cassel
Blake Bortles
Mark Sanchez
Nick Foles
Chad Henne
Jamarcus Russell
Trevor Semien
Literally a who's who of the worst highly drafted QBs in history.

Last year he finished 32nd in Completion percentage, just ahead of Zach Wilson and Baker Mayfield
Last year he finished dead last in yards passing per game
He was 2nd to last for most yards lost on sacks
Of his impressive 1140yds rushing he gave back 1/3rd of them in yards lost getting sacked.

He needs to have a year like LJax had in Year2/3 of this career.
12-team Non-PPR QB, 2-RB, 3-WR, TE, K, DEF
QB: Herbert, Tanny
RB: Chubb, Stevenson, AJ Dillion
WR: AJ Brown, M Evans, M Williams, D London, C Olave, Jameson Williams, M Thomas
TE: D Njoku
K: Butker

2023: 1.01, 2.01
2024 early first, late first

Yarnith
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Yarnith » Sat May 20, 2023 7:18 pm

DoubleBlue wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 7:54 pm In a 4 player including QB keeper league.
Standard scoring.
I have had Lamar since drafting him at startup 3 years ago.
I picked up Fields last season when Lamar went down.
Gotta make this choice this season when keepers need to be filed.

I swing back and forth weekly ....
This week leaning to Fields just because of his age and the feeling of optimism in Chicago around the team and their prospects compared to the unsettled situation in Baltimore where Lamar may also hold out ..
The answer trade them both for Mahomes, Allen, Burrows, Herbert, Hurts, Lawrence or Tua if you think he is fine like I do. get out on both and never look back.
Cavaliers 12 team standard, 1QB, 1RB, 1WR, 2WR/TE, 1flex
QB: J. Allen, S. Howell, Z.Wilson
RB: A. Kamara, J. Taylor, CEH, K. Gainwell, P. Strong
WR: A.J. Brown, A. Cooper, J. Dotson, C. Ridley, E. Moore, W. Robinson, J. Meyers, T. Marshall,
TE: G. Kittle, J. Johnson, J. Woods, H. Henry
'23 1.10, 2.10, 3.10 '24 1, 2, 3
Recent Championships '19,'21,'22

Fosters Home for Imaginary Friends- 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2Flex
QB: Mahomes, Purdy, Lance
RB: Pierce, Miller, K. Herbert, E. Hull
WR: Chase, Watson, Davis, JSN, Metchie, Pierce, V. Jefferson, Claypool, Thornton, Westbrook-Ikhine
TE: Pitts, Woods, Latu