And then there’s this twist on the SB matchup

Politics, world events, under-water basket weaving, everything goes in this forum. Please keep it respectful at all times.
Ice
Legend
Legend

Re: And then there’s this twist on the SB matchup

Postby Ice » Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:22 pm

ericanadian wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:02 pm
I don’t think stating that this is the first instance of two black QBs facing one another in the Superbowl is identity politics. It’s a statement of fact. Your effort here is about the equivalent of the media making a big deal that Trump was overstating his crowd sizes. It comes off as petty at best. Racist dog whistling at worst.
Just curious if you are marginalizing Randi Martin on purpose or is it just an honest mistake on your part to fit the narrative of two black men playing QB in the SB?
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

Tvols
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Tvols » Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:09 pm

ericanadian wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:02 pm
Bronco Billy wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:50 pm
ericanadian wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 3:55 pm

By pointing out this story and dropping a counterpoint, you’re doing the exact same thing. While there may be ulterior motives within the press for making this point, it would be equally fair to question whether you have ulterior motives in your counterpoint.

If you don’t care about race, why do you care about an article about race? Why is that clickbait to you?
I don’t notice race. I do notice when it is being used as s tool to divide this country. I care a great deal about that. That’s what identity politics do - we get put into groups and then we get pitted against each other by those using it as a tool. Why wouldn’t people care a great deal about that?
I don’t think stating that this is the first instance of two black QBs facing one another in the Superbowl is identity politics. It’s a statement of fact. Your effort here is about the equivalent of the media making a big deal that Trump was overstating his crowd sizes. It comes off as petty at best. Racist dog whistling at worst.
Trump over stated this size of his crowds didn’t know that thought was our fearless leader Brandon
16 teamer
QB T Law, R Wilson
rb- Mixon,pollard, J Hill, conner,
WR-Chase,Lamb,T Hill, R Bateman, C sutton, boyd
Te Kelce, Waller, Fant,Evertt,
1qb,2-3rb,3-5wr,1-2 TE
Full IDP

Team 2 recent rod 16 team SF/TEP(2pt PPR) 1-2 QB, 2-3 RB, 3-5 wrs and 1-2 TE full IDP.
QB A rod, M willis and H Hooker
rb not squat T Bigsby, Chris R, Z evans. J kelly, C patterson, and J mcluaghlin.
WRs chase, J Addison, T McLaurin, C ridgley , A Losivas, M hollins
TE Kelce, D Belligner, T Conklin

Shoreline Steamers
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Shoreline Steamers » Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:25 pm

Tvols wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:09 pm Trump over stated this size of his crowds didn’t know that thought was our fearless leader Brandon
Genuinely curious what this means? They're words, but it's unclear to me what the author was intending to say.

I just hope the Chiefs get healthier over the next couple of weeks. Really don't need a Super Bowl version of the NFC Championship game. Not too concerned about Mahomes, but all the injuries at WR are a little troubling.
14 Team, No-PPR, 20 Man Roster, TD Heavy, TD = 6, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, B. Purdy, T. Lance
RB: J. Mixon, N. Chubb, A. Dillon, J. Cook, K. Mitchell, J. McLaughlin, Z. Evans
WR: J. Chase, C. Godwin, D. Johnson, J. Reed, C. Tillman
TE: TJ Hockenson, D. Njoku, B. Jordan

14 Team, .5 PPR, 18 Man Roster, Rush/Rec TD = 6, Pass TD = 4, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, T. Tagovailoa
RB: B. Robinson, K. Walker, R. Stevenson, K. Herbertl
WR: C. Olave, T. Higgins, B. Aiyuk, N. Collins, Z. Flowers, M. Mims
TE: K. Pitts, D. Njoku

Tvols
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Tvols » Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:26 pm

Shoreline Steamers wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:25 pm
Tvols wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:09 pm Trump over stated this size of his crowds didn’t know that thought was our fearless leader Brandon
Genuinely curious what this means? They're words, but it's unclear to me what the author was intending to say.

I just hope the Chiefs get healthier over the next couple of weeks. Really don't need a Super Bowl version of the NFC Championship game. Not too concerned about Mahomes, but all the injuries at WR are a little troubling.
Means exactly what it says
Last edited by Tvols on Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
16 teamer
QB T Law, R Wilson
rb- Mixon,pollard, J Hill, conner,
WR-Chase,Lamb,T Hill, R Bateman, C sutton, boyd
Te Kelce, Waller, Fant,Evertt,
1qb,2-3rb,3-5wr,1-2 TE
Full IDP

Team 2 recent rod 16 team SF/TEP(2pt PPR) 1-2 QB, 2-3 RB, 3-5 wrs and 1-2 TE full IDP.
QB A rod, M willis and H Hooker
rb not squat T Bigsby, Chris R, Z evans. J kelly, C patterson, and J mcluaghlin.
WRs chase, J Addison, T McLaurin, C ridgley , A Losivas, M hollins
TE Kelce, D Belligner, T Conklin

Shoreline Steamers
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Shoreline Steamers » Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:31 pm

Tvols wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:26 pm
Shoreline Steamers wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:25 pm

Means exactly what it says
OK, thanks for clarifying that for me.
14 Team, No-PPR, 20 Man Roster, TD Heavy, TD = 6, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, B. Purdy, T. Lance
RB: J. Mixon, N. Chubb, A. Dillon, J. Cook, K. Mitchell, J. McLaughlin, Z. Evans
WR: J. Chase, C. Godwin, D. Johnson, J. Reed, C. Tillman
TE: TJ Hockenson, D. Njoku, B. Jordan

14 Team, .5 PPR, 18 Man Roster, Rush/Rec TD = 6, Pass TD = 4, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, T. Tagovailoa
RB: B. Robinson, K. Walker, R. Stevenson, K. Herbertl
WR: C. Olave, T. Higgins, B. Aiyuk, N. Collins, Z. Flowers, M. Mims
TE: K. Pitts, D. Njoku

Csl312
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Csl312 » Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:54 pm

Holy cow this thread is ridiculous.
I agree that there are many politicians and media outlets on all sides of the spectrum have used "identity politics" to divide us.
I also agree that it's probably much more constructive to give praise to the players for being great than being a particular race. But it's also important for people to be able to celebrate those who are like them achieving things that weren't previously available to them.
If you can't see that black players were historically not seen as capable of playing QB and why it's thus notable that these two players are black then you're not paying attention. There is a whole lot of justification for being against noting this fact going on in this thread - if it isn't disingenuous then you should probably be thinking about why this is so difficult for you.
If the whole coverage of this super bowl is about race I'll admit that's not good for anyone. But I'd think it would be weird if nobody commented on it at all in this case.

How has this not been locked yet?

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:17 am

Cameron Giles wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 3:00 pmI said this in a different thread, but: We have to stop appeasing ignorant, detrimental, and racist opinions. We shouldn't have to bite our tounge on conversations or small print accomplishments because people are fearful of a certain crowd becoming vociferous. Those people are getting the result they want by minimizing those discussions.

Racism doesn't increase because marginalized communities, cultures, and races celebrate accomplishments—that racism and ignorance is already there regardless.

We should celebrate achievements of everyone. Simultaneously, it's absolutely notable and justified to acknowledge those of marginalized races, who have not had the opportunities for obvious reasons to reach the highs that others are used to. So that's why we celebrate things like "first black....", "first Asian....", "first Hispanic..." etc.
Well said.

I didn't open this thread the first couple of days it existed. Didn't know what it was about and didn't click on it. Now that I have ... mind blown. Hard to believe rational adults in this day and age think like this. When people are so ignorant about something so simply comprehended as this topic, it makes me wonder if any fantasy football advice offered is worth the screen it's printed on.

It's hard to unsee something, but I think I'll try to go back to being blissfully ignorant of what happens in this thread. :whistle:

One more thing. It's utterly ridiculous for people to say "if you do this or say this, people call you racist." For anyone reading those words, don't be fooled. The truth is, when you say something racist, don't be surprised when someone calls it what it blatantly is. And if you are truly so ignorant about the history and present state of racism in America that you truly don't think what you've said is racist, that's almost as sad as being racist. Sadder and more clueless than asking if a fantasy team should keep rostering Andrew Luck.
TEAM 1:
12 Team ppr w/20 keepers - start 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1FLX 6IDP 1DEF
QB: Tua, Lamar, Levis
RB: Etienne, Pacheco, JavonteWms, JFord, CEH
WR: Lamb, JChase, Waddle, Pickens, MWilliams, Q Johnston
TE: Goedert, Friermuth
DEF: Cowboys, Ravens
IDP:(LB) Bolton, Greenlaw; (DE/DL) ZCollins, BJHill; (S/CB) Pitre, Bates, Witherspoon
2023 & 2022 Champion: 2020 third place: 2019 Champion

TEAM 2:
14 Team 30roster SF/ppr/TEP - QB/RB/WR/TE/5FLX/SF
QB: Tua, CJStroud, Carr, AOC, MWhite, Lock
RB: Etienne, Stevenson, GusE, AJD, Singletary, CEH, Spiller
WR: Amon-Ra, Kirk, Dell, Thielen, Gallup, Ch Jones
TE: Andrews, Waller, Taysom, Smythe, WMallory, JOliver
2023 semifinals loser

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Tue Jan 31, 2023 6:48 am

Anteaters wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:17 am
Cameron Giles wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 3:00 pmI said this in a different thread, but: We have to stop appeasing ignorant, detrimental, and racist opinions. We shouldn't have to bite our tounge on conversations or small print accomplishments because people are fearful of a certain crowd becoming vociferous. Those people are getting the result they want by minimizing those discussions.

Racism doesn't increase because marginalized communities, cultures, and races celebrate accomplishments—that racism and ignorance is already there regardless.

We should celebrate achievements of everyone. Simultaneously, it's absolutely notable and justified to acknowledge those of marginalized races, who have not had the opportunities for obvious reasons to reach the highs that others are used to. So that's why we celebrate things like "first black....", "first Asian....", "first Hispanic..." etc.
Well said.

I didn't open this thread the first couple of days it existed. Didn't know what it was about and didn't click on it. Now that I have ... mind blown. Hard to believe rational adults in this day and age think like this. When people are so ignorant about something so simply comprehended as this topic, it makes me wonder if any fantasy football advice offered is worth the screen it's printed on.

It's hard to unsee something, but I think I'll try to go back to being blissfully ignorant of what happens in this thread. :whistle:

One more thing. It's utterly ridiculous for people to say "if you do this or say this, people call you racist." For anyone reading those words, don't be fooled. The truth is, when you say something racist, don't be surprised when someone calls it what it blatantly is. And if you are truly so ignorant about the history and present state of racism in America that you truly don't think what you've said is racist, that's almost as sad as being racist. Sadder and more clueless than asking if a fantasy team should keep rostering Andrew Luck.
Wow; Do you feel better now?

One More thing; stop hating on the poor Andrew Luck owners when Stephen Curry might be a way better target for you. :think:

YouMightDieTryin
MVP
MVP

Postby YouMightDieTryin » Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:14 am

I find rostering Andrew Luck still brings good fortune to my team. And I'm holding on like Rose held onto Jack.

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:43 am

Ice wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 6:48 amWow; Do you feel better now?
No. But I do feel like it's about time someone called out blatantly racist comments. Those posting racist stuff may think they're being cute, or one-upping, or smart or whatever. Or maybe the people posting racist stuff believe nothing more than that they are posting racist stuff and that's what gets their rocks off.

None of that makes me feel better. And wasting my time responding to racist comments doesn't make me feel better. Especially not when I know the people making those comments won't reflect, have no interest in evolving, and will be able to keep posting with immunity.

But here we are. With two great QBs playing in the SB and a lot of fans apparently upset about that fact.
TEAM 1:
IDP:(LB) Bolton, Greenlaw; (DE/DL) ZCollins, BJHill; (S/CB) Pitre, Bates, Witherspoon

TEAM 2:
2023 semifinals loser

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:35 am

Who could possibly be upset? I haven't read that anywhere.

I can see fans hating teams but no one has been blasting away at these two young QB's that I have seen.

Mahomes is my favorite player, could be my Texas Tech Alumni bias or the fact I met him once.

Food for Thought:
Rage and Hate are not healthy....playing the Victim and Race Card all the time isn't either. Racism isn't under every single stone......just sayin.

Bronco Billy
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:44 am

Csl312 wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:54 pm Holy cow this thread is ridiculous.
I agree that there are many politicians and media outlets on all sides of the spectrum have used "identity politics" to divide us.
I also agree that it's probably much more constructive to give praise to the players for being great than being a particular race. But it's also important for people to be able to celebrate those who are like them achieving things that weren't previously available to them.
If you can't see that black players were historically not seen as capable of playing QB and why it's thus notable that these two players are black then you're not paying attention. There is a whole lot of justification for being against noting this fact going on in this thread - if it isn't disingenuous then you should probably be thinking about why this is so difficult for you.
If the whole coverage of this super bowl is about race I'll admit that's not good for anyone. But I'd think it would be weird if nobody commented on it at all in this case.

How has this not been locked yet?
I agree that it is noteworthy. I don’t see it as a lead facet that gets immediate primary focus right after the outcomes that determined the SB teams are decided as happened with this story.

40 years ago that 2 black QBs are facing each other in the SB would IMO have been spectacular and worthy of all sorts of headlines and stories. 20 years it should be a lead and drawn plenty of attention. Now, IMO it was just an inevitability that should be noted but isn’t a primary aspect of the event. And I think that it’s great that we are at a point where this would be considered what would be a reasonably expected and normal aspect of the game. That’s as is should be.

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:51 am

Ice wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:35 am Who could possibly be upset? I haven't read that anywhere.

I can see fans hating teams but no one has been blasting away at these two young QB's that I have seen.

Mahomes is my favorite player, could be my Texas Tech Alumni bias or the fact I met him once.

Food for Thought:
Rage and Hate are not healthy....playing the Victim and Race Card all the time isn't either. Racism isn't under every single stone......just sayin.
I'll play your little game for a while.

Someone started this thread complaining that a sports news article noted that for the first time ever there are two African-American QBs starting in a Superbowl. The thread crawled on and a few others agreed with the opinion that it would be better to not acknowledge this fact. Not even you can try to twist words to dispute this is the set-up. Well you might...

So we're left with two possibilities. 1) Those expressing unhappiness are for some strange reason unhappy ONLY with the reporting of the injustice being overcome. 2) Those expressing unhappiness are unhappy that the injustice has been overcome.

Which is it for you, Ice?
TEAM 1:

TEAM 2:
2023 semifinals loser

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:07 am

Bronco Billy wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:44 am [
40 years ago that 2 black QBs are facing each other in the SB would IMO have been spectacular and worthy of all sorts of headlines and stories. 20 years it should be a lead and drawn plenty of attention. Now, IMO it was just an inevitability that should be noted but isn’t a primary aspect of the event. And I think that it’s great that we are at a point where this would be considered what would be a reasonably expected and normal aspect of the game. That’s as is should be.
I get what you're saying, but who is anyone to tell a race or community how they specifically should experience the Super Bowl?

I don't care that you or anyone else doesn't primarily see this as two black QBs competing for a Super Bowl and there are other stories that interest you more. That's your prerogative. If you want to talk about the legacy of Andy Reid and what it means to him, then go for it.

I think it's great though that there are people who do primarily care about it and more inclined to watch because of it. It's the same thing that happens with movies, award shows, etc. These news outlets are simply delivering this story for a specific audience. It doesn't have to be for you. It does no harm.

Back to the food analogy I used: Why complain at a buffet that people are enjoying food that you are not interested in when food that you like is available in abundance?

Bronco Billy
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:13 am

Cameron Giles wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:07 am
Bronco Billy wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:44 am [
I get what you're saying, but who is anyone to tell a race or community how they specifically should experience the Super Bowl?

I don't care that you or anyone else doesn't primarily see this as two black QBs competing for a Super Bowl and there are other stories that interest you more. That's your prerogative.

I think it's great though that there are people who do primarily care about it and more inclined to watch because of it. It's the same thing that happens with movies, award shows, etc. These news outlets are simply delivering this story for a specific audience. It doesn't have to be for you.
Where did you get that I was trying to dictate how anyone should feel about it? I was expressing my opinion of how a major news source is choosing to characterize the event as their lead story in reporting about it. You saw the “IMO” part in the portion you chose to bold, right?