Alvin Kamara; What are you guys doing?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
AllEliteDynasty
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Alvin Kamara; What are you guys doing?

Postby AllEliteDynasty » Sat Jan 28, 2023 7:27 am

Alvin has been a consistent stud throughout his career in the NFL, and this past year had what some would call a down year. When you look into the numbers, it actually appears his 2022 season mirrors his 2021 season, with the main difference being less touchdowns. Touchdowns are usually extremely volatile, so that shouldn't be much of a concern. The team is likely to upgrade at the quarterback position, which should help them get into the endzone more often. That said, the elephant in the room is there. Alvin likely faces some sort of suspension for his antics at last years Pro Bowl.

With all things considered, what are you doing with Alvin? If I'm a rebuilding team then I would stay far away. But now for the contenders, do you take him knowing the talent is there, and just hope for a 2 game suspension? New Orleans has never been a "handcuff" situation, like how people used to roster Pollard during the prime Ezekiel years so getting Kamaras handcuff seems unrealistic.

Csl312
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Re: Alvin Kamara; What are you guys doing?

Postby Csl312 » Sat Jan 28, 2023 7:51 am

I had a down year because of injuries and some flukes, and sold him at the trade deadline for a late 23 1st and a throw in. I figured that was probably the last opportunity to get first round value out of him. The offense as a whole is regressed from his peak. And he's getting to past his prime age. With the expectation that he will be sitting for a few games at least next season I felt like he probably will not be a top 10 RB again.

That said I would probably grab pick him up for a mid 2nd if he was available at that price. Once his suspension is announced. You have to hope that he is more consistent when he is playing because he had some duds that definitely lost weeks for me this year.

PBFalcon
Starter
Starter

Postby PBFalcon » Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:01 am

As someone who doesn't own him anywhere, I am not going out of my way to aquire him.
I think his best years are behind him and that brees/Payton/Kamara were the perfect storm but that won't be replicated again. I wouldn't let a potential suspension influence my opinion on him though.
I would be looking to sell him if I had him to someone that values him as a 1st. I might give up a 2nd for him (or sell him for a 2nd) but that is dependent how this draft and combine shake out. There are a few RB prospects that could be available that I would rather have.
Last edited by PBFalcon on Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
10 team dynasty began 2016
Standard scoring (no PPR, all TDs 6pts)
Start 1 QB, 2 RB, 4 WR, 1 TE, 1 Flex (RB/WR/TE), 1 K, 1 Def

2018 2nd
2019 2nd
2020 CHAMP
2021 2nd
2022 *co-champ...yuck

QB: P Mahomes
RB: J Taylor, T Etienne, D Swift, B Robinson Jr, J Mixon, J Gibbs, Z Charbonnet, R Johnson, J Wilson
WR: J Jefferson, J Chase, J Waddle, DK Metcalf, J Addison, T Dell, J Downs, M Williams, K Toney, , C Claypool
TE: K Pitts, G Kittle
K: Stream
Def: SF

2024 picks: 1 (early/mid), 1 ,2 3 (early/mid), 3, 4, 5, 6

j4pac
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby j4pac » Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:09 am

I’d take a 1st for him but not selling him for a second. He is still and elite receiver, which can translate to a longer career. But the play calling has been really bad. I think the Saints would benefit by getting a bellcow RB to share the load with Kamara and allow Kamara to work the edges.

Charbonnet and Kamara would be a great tandem
SF, PPR, 12 team, 12 player dynasty

QB- Lawrence, Fields, Tannehill (max 2 keepers, 3 rostered)
RB- Bijan Robinson, T Pollard, Allgeier, Charbonnet, Achane, J Wilson, Kelley, K Williams
WR- Lamb, Jeudy, Hill, C Olave, A Pierce, Shaheed, Bourne
TE- Goedert, Musgrave

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:52 am

I own him on a team that's been doing very well (sort of) in spite of him. I'll probably put him on the block and see if I can use him in a package or buy back some years at RB with him + a pick. But I'm in no way selling short. I think his skillset will age fine as long as they go back to his old usage...

He's a lock to get 250+ touches as he has the past several years. 50 receptions is his floor. I think as he gets older now, his carries should be going down and receptions back up (last 2 years trended the opposite direction).

He probably gets susp 4-6 games so obviously his season totals will be down but on a per game basis, I don't think I can get a better RB2/flex for his declining price. Going to most likely be holding for the long haul and hoping he can rack up receptions in his later years and still provide solid PPR value. Think Sproles later years where he was still getting 50+ receptions, with more carries

Tvols
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Tvols » Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:58 am

contender u are holding and mid of road or rebuild moving on. I would buy for a late 2nd 3rd, sell for early 2nd or late first which I doubt many will give, as a contender he probably facing a 6 game band or so. He is no longer elite flex play or rb 3 is fine.
16 teamer
QB T Law, R Wilson
rb- Mixon,pollard, J Hill, conner,
WR-Chase,Lamb,T Hill, R Bateman, C sutton, boyd
Te Kelce, Waller, Fant,Evertt,
1qb,2-3rb,3-5wr,1-2 TE
Full IDP

Team 2 recent rod 16 team SF/TEP(2pt PPR) 1-2 QB, 2-3 RB, 3-5 wrs and 1-2 TE full IDP.
QB A rod, M willis and H Hooker
rb not squat T Bigsby, Chris R, Z evans. J kelly, C patterson, and J mcluaghlin.
WRs chase, J Addison, T McLaurin, C ridgley , A Losivas, M hollins
TE Kelce, D Belligner, T Conklin

frerichs5
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby frerichs5 » Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:04 am

I have him on a contender and am simply holding.

One thing I don’t see discussed too often is the possibility he is released from the Saints. If he is a post June 1 cut designation, they save nearly 10m in cap space. The saints are currently projected with the worst cap situation in the league at the moment (most over the cap for 2023; I think I’ve read 57m over). They’re going to have to do something. Maybe it doesn’t end up happening, but should be considered a possibility he is on a different team next year.

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:58 am

frerichs5 wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:04 am I have him on a contender and am simply holding.

One thing I don’t see discussed too often is the possibility he is released from the Saints. If he is a post June 1 cut designation, they save nearly 10m in cap space. The saints are currently projected with the worst cap situation in the league at the moment (most over the cap for 2023; I think I’ve read 57m over). They’re going to have to do something. Maybe it doesn’t end up happening, but should be considered a possibility he is on a different team next year.
Yep, posted about it in another thread. They restructured Thomas, seems clear they'll cut him.

I believe in Kamara's talent long term and that his skillset can age well. My concern is two straight years of setting career lows in targets, catches and rec yards. I was anticipating Dalton starting after Winston's injury would fix that, but he ended the 4 games after the bye (all Dalton starts) with 6 total catches and 57 total rec yards. I've never been not concerned about the limited rushing because the receiving role was always his path. But, the last two years really show his post Brees floor there.

Overall, the offense struggled last year- low scoring, among the league worst in turnovers and red zone TD efficiency. With limited cap to address QB and no 1st, the opportunities for improvement this year are the playcalling/scheme with OC Pete Carmichael retained and better injury luck (link).

With the suspension risk and limited chances for a better Saints offense, I'm pessimistic on Kamara for 23 and sold him throughout last year everywhere I had him.
League #1- 14 tm ppr, 1Q, 2R, 3W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1K
1 DT, 2 DE, 2 LB, 1 CB, 1 S, 1 flex

League #2- 12 team PPR, 1Q, 1R, 2W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1 W/R/T, 1 Def

League #3- 12 tm PPR, 1Q, 0R (yes, ZERO RB) 3W, 1T, 2 R/W/T flex, 1 Def

dondickenson
Starter
Starter

Postby dondickenson » Sat Jan 28, 2023 12:03 pm

I understand not wanting to sell for less than a 1st but be ready for him to fall off the map quick. He looked pretty iffy and the offense was terrible for him in 2022. I think he is an acceptable flex RB/RB3 or 4 on a contending roster but if he is your RB2 or g forbid RB1 then you are simply not a legit contender.

Edit:

To follow up, Kamara has slowly degraded over his six year career. First two seasons he averaged 5.2ypc and had 31TDs. Next two seasons 4.9ypc and 27 TDs. Last two seasons 3.8ypc and 13 TDs. And those 13 TDs came on over 100 more touches in years 5-6 than he got in years 1-2. He has slowed down a lot last two seasons. Can hardly expect that trajectory to change at age 28 with his legal troubles looming and lack of coaching changes in NO.

gogobradyarm
All Pro
All Pro

Postby gogobradyarm » Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:51 pm

He has been wildly inconsistent since Brees retired. His best days are behind him. Sold him for a 2nd and 3rd.
12 Team - PPR - 30man (2 IR) - 6pt PPTD- 1 QB - 2 RB - 2 WR - 1 Flex - 1 TE
QB: Jalen Hurts, Dak Prescott, Anthony Richardson, Aidan O'Connell
RB: McCaffrey, Jacobs, Barkley, Zamir White, Jaleel McLaughlin, Dowdle, Zach Evans, Dobbins
WR: AJB, London, Aiyuk, Diontae Johnson, Rashee Rice, Ridley, McLaurin, Dotson, Rashod Bateman
TE: Mandrews, Pitts, Likely, Otton

2024: 1.01, 1.07
2025: 3x 1st
Champ: 2020, 2021
Year 9 of my league

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Sun Jan 29, 2023 5:00 pm

If you want to sell him, it's better to wait until the season. It's the offseason and RBs in their late 20s (he turns 28 soon) aren't going to be worth a ton, especially when this draft class arrives with all these young RBs.

KTC has him worth a 2023 2nd right now (2.04)

I think maybe you can squeeze a late 1st out of someone during the season, but overall his value is not going to get much higher from here on out.

dondickenson
Starter
Starter

Postby dondickenson » Sun Jan 29, 2023 5:07 pm

I agree with both of the last two posts. After your rookie draft if you pick say Kendre Miller and Luke Muskgrave with your 2nd and 3rd I think you’ll be happy. But you could probably hold out, thread the needle, and sell for something like 50% more at the trade deadline in season.

gogobradyarm
All Pro
All Pro

Postby gogobradyarm » Sun Jan 29, 2023 5:23 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 5:00 pm If you want to sell him, it's better to wait until the season. It's the offseason and RBs in their late 20s (he turns 28 soon) aren't going to be worth a ton, especially when this draft class arrives with all these young RBs.

I think maybe you can squeeze a late 1st out of someone during the season, but overall his value is not going to get much higher from here on out.
Typically i'd agree, but I don't see a guy in a questionable offense, that has been trending down as a fantasy producer, with a looming suspension, that will be 28, rising in value (barring Kamara ending up in a new offense with high scoring upside)
12 Team - PPR - 30man (2 IR) - 6pt PPTD- 1 QB - 2 RB - 2 WR - 1 Flex - 1 TE
QB: Jalen Hurts, Dak Prescott, Anthony Richardson, Aidan O'Connell
RB: McCaffrey, Jacobs, Barkley, Zamir White, Jaleel McLaughlin, Dowdle, Zach Evans, Dobbins
WR: AJB, London, Aiyuk, Diontae Johnson, Rashee Rice, Ridley, McLaurin, Dotson, Rashod Bateman
TE: Mandrews, Pitts, Likely, Otton

2024: 1.01, 1.07
2025: 3x 1st
Champ: 2020, 2021
Year 9 of my league

tstafford
GOAT
GOAT

Postby tstafford » Mon Jan 30, 2023 3:14 am

The possible suspension is a big issue. It threatens to eliminate nearly half his relevance in what might be his last productive fantasy window. I think any 2nd round pick would be a good return.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Mon Jan 30, 2023 6:40 am

gogobradyarm wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 5:23 pm
Cameron Giles wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 5:00 pm If you want to sell him, it's better to wait until the season. It's the offseason and RBs in their late 20s (he turns 28 soon) aren't going to be worth a ton, especially when this draft class arrives with all these young RBs.

Typically i'd agree, but I don't see a guy in a questionable offense, that has been trending down as a fantasy producer, with a looming suspension, that will be 28, rising in value (barring Kamara ending up in a new offense with high scoring upside)
I could see it briefly during the season. The offseason is the worst time to sell veterans approaching 30, because everyone is in full ADP and draft mode and trying to get the best young assets, not necessarily building a team that can win this year.