2022 Rookie Linebackers Worth Holding?

General discussion and team advice concerning IDP Leagues.
Menace2010
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

2022 Rookie Linebackers Worth Holding?

Postby Menace2010 » Tue Jan 17, 2023 3:32 am

A number of fairly high-profile (and highly drafted) rookie LBs did absolutely nothing this season. Need to make some roster cuts to clear IR ahead of the off-season in multiple leagues and debating what to do with them. What are people's opinions on:

Terrel Bernard, BUF LB
Channing Tindall, MIA LB
Brian Asamoah, MIN LB
Damone Clark, DAL LB

Which are worth holding onto and which can get kicked to waivers? I can basically talk myself into all four, but can't keep them all lol.

Oddball456
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Re: 2022 Rookie Linebackers Worth Holding?

Postby Oddball456 » Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:07 am

I have no clue as I don't need to do cut downs until close to the start of the NFL season next year. That said, it will almost certainly depend on the contact status of the starters on those teams. If you dropped these players, would anyone else in your league even pick them up?

Dunville
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Dunville » Tue Jan 17, 2023 2:14 pm

Just want to preface this by saying at this stage it’s hard to say for definite what will play out, there’s so many moving parts with the playoffs, FA, rookie drafts etc… so at best we can speculate.

Terrel Bernard - Bills - Milano is going nowhere and is balling for the Bills in their playoff run he’s going nowhere. Tremaine Edmunds is a FA so there is definitely an opening. Bernard garnered one start playing nearly 100% snaps but from accounts it wasn’t a great game and was basically relegated to special teams, he holds good draft capital and has a shot at a starting job which is a pretty lucrative spot since the Bills run a lot of 2LB+ sets. A hold but wouldn’t be surprised if the Bills looked to the draft/FA since they are right in a contending window.

Channing Tindall - Dolphins - Jerome Baker is signed for the foreseeable and is on a relatively reasonable contract and the dead cap - savings wouldn’t appear worth it, he’s likely here through 2023 and 2024. I’m not 100% certain on the Miami scheme off the top of my head but it doesn’t strike me as one that generally supports 2LBs. Tindall has played minimal defensive snaps this year so it’s hard to truly pass judgement. For transparency I haven’t watched a ton of Miami defensive football this year so someone else may be able to wade in.

Brian Asamoah - Vikings - both Kendricks and Hicks are signed through 2023 but are out of contract after that. Both have relatively cheap “outs”. Cutting Kendricks would save $9.5m with $2m in dead cap and Hicks would save $5m with $1.5m in dead cap. Asamoah is a solid hold at this time to see what happens. If both the starters are back then playing time will be minimal but if the Vikings move on from one or even both then it’s easy to imagine he gets first crack. Towards the end of the season his snaps increased but it was nominal playing in the teens and I think 21 against the colts.

Damone Clark - Cowboys - The Cowboys haven’t featured many full time year but it was LVE who manned that spot for most of the year. LVE is out of contract but I could see a situation where they re-sign him. Clark has played well when called upon so in the event they don’t re-sign LVE Clark has the inside track for a full time role (80+% snaps). However it would be hard pressed to see the Cowboys go into next year so thin at LB, especially since they’re in the midst of a playoff run this year.

If I had to rank them based on the info today and my own personal feelings I’d go;

Asamoah
Clark
Bernard
Tindall
12 Team 1 pt PPR
1QB 2RB 2WR 1TE 3Flex 1K
QB Stroud Tua
RB Bijan, Gibbs, Jamaal, CEH, Allgeier, Brown
WR Hill, JJ, AJB, Keenan, ReedReed, Thielen, Boyd, Iosivas, Tucker
TE Hockenson Ferguson,
K Elliot
1DT 2DE 3LB 1CB 2S 1Flex
DT Donald Zach Allen
DE Crosby, Van Ness, Turner, Wonnum,
LB Greenlaw, Kendricks, Bernard, Mosley, McFadden, Barton, Overshown, Cashman, Henley
CB Stream
S Bynum, Blankenship fuller, grant,
2024 - 1.03, 3.05, 3.12, 6th
2025 2, 3,4,5,6

Menace2010
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Menace2010 » Tue Jan 17, 2023 5:02 pm

This is unbelievably helpful and why I appreciate these boards. Thanks for the very detailed analysis/response!

For context I'm in 16 team leagues where we can start up to 4 LBs (and tackle heavy, so they are usually what you want in the DP slots). So to answer the first question, I'm not sure they'd be picked up immediately but it'd help a lot if I keep the ones that actually pan out haha.

SN9-7Titans
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby SN9-7Titans » Sun Jan 29, 2023 1:21 am

Completely apart from the names listed, and have nothing really to add to what others have said, one name i will watch closely and will definitely hold in deeper leagues:

Brandon Smith CAR

Shaq Thompson and Frankie Luvu are only signed for 2023. the latter might get his extension, but there is an opening theoretically after 2023. Smith is only 21 right now. There is so much upside for him and his tape and highlights are insane to watch how he lays out other players.
Team NoDrama - 12Team SF 1.5 TEP

QB: Hurts, Tagovailoa, Ridder, Lance, Purdy, Stroud
RB: Hall, Gibbs, Dobbins, Dillon, White, Warren
WR: Higgins, JSN, Jeudy, Aiyuk, Dotson, Amon-Ra, Shakir, Michael Thomas, Gallup, Rondale Moore
TE: Goedert, Meyer, Kincaid, Jelani Woods, Jonnu Smith, Otton, Bryant, Kolar
Picks: 3.07, 4.07
----------------------------

Dunville
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Dunville » Mon Mar 06, 2023 2:43 pm

Just as an update - Kendricks was cut.

Asamoah gets a bump but remember the off-season is long, there’s FA and the draft to go.

I can’t imagine they sign an expensive FA given they let kendricks go to save money.
12 Team 1 pt PPR
1QB 2RB 2WR 1TE 3Flex 1K
QB Stroud Tua
RB Bijan, Gibbs, Jamaal, CEH, Allgeier, Brown
WR Hill, JJ, AJB, Keenan, ReedReed, Thielen, Boyd, Iosivas, Tucker
TE Hockenson Ferguson,
K Elliot
1DT 2DE 3LB 1CB 2S 1Flex
DT Donald Zach Allen
DE Crosby, Van Ness, Turner, Wonnum,
LB Greenlaw, Kendricks, Bernard, Mosley, McFadden, Barton, Overshown, Cashman, Henley
CB Stream
S Bynum, Blankenship fuller, grant,
2024 - 1.03, 3.05, 3.12, 6th
2025 2, 3,4,5,6

Pantherbro13
Starter
Starter

Postby Pantherbro13 » Sat Apr 08, 2023 1:12 pm

SN9-7Titans wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 1:21 am Completely apart from the names listed, and have nothing really to add to what others have said, one name i will watch closely and will definitely hold in deeper leagues:

Brandon Smith CAR

Shaq Thompson and Frankie Luvu are only signed for 2023. the latter might get his extension, but there is an opening theoretically after 2023. Smith is only 21 right now. There is so much upside for him and his tape and highlights are insane to watch how he lays out other players.
As Panthers fan I would call this a long shot now with Shaq signed for two more years. Word is Chinn is going to be used more at LB this year too. If an injury happens, absolutely worth a pickup. They’ll be running a 3-4 base this year so it’ll be a rotation of Shaq/Luvu/Chinn manning those two interior spots. Luvu and Chinn both will be moved around a lot but I’d bet they each play a lot of ILB snaps. Luvu moving around to rush the passer and Chinn moving around at LB/nickel/safety. Chinn could also be the LB in the dime package. If either of Shaq/Luvu were to miss games, Smith would be worth a pickup. But even then he may only see snaps in the 3-4 look. If Carolina’s secondary stays healthy can expect Ejiro to use Horn like Surtain. Leaving Jackson/Henderson/Rowe/Taylor/Whoever is drafted taking the other CB snaps. Chinn/Woods/Bell will share the safety snaps and signing Bell allows Chinn to play where he’s better closer to the LOS. I see the secondary players being used a lot as opposed to a Smith possibly seeing some 3rd LB snaps.

Word also is Carolina is interested in drafting another LB, especially if one were to slip to pick 39. Jack Campbell might not be there but could definitely see Carolina taking him if he slipped. If we don’t go LB at 39 I would bet one being drafted in the middle rounds just like Smith was too.

Agreed on Smith’s tape though, he’s exciting. Luvu breaking out may have just halted the Brandon Smith breakout. Might need to wait until after his rookie contract for that if Shaq/Luvu continue to play well.
12 team PPR/40 player roster/5 round rookie draft

QB
- Josh Allen/Anthony Richardson/Gardner Minshew
RB - Bijan Robinson/Javonte Williams/Joe Mixon/Brian Robinson/Kendre Miller/Chase Brown
WR - Ja’Marr Chase/DJ Moore/DeVonta Smith/Zay FlowersJosh Downs/Tank Dell/Skyy Moore/Dontayvion Wicks/Trey Palmer
TE - TJ Hockenson/Sam LaPorta/Cole Kmet
K - Harrison Butker
DL - Myles Garrett/Jeffrey Simmons/Brian Burns/Christian Barmore/Ed Oliver
LB - Shaq Thompson/Ivan Pace Jr/Pete Werner/Christian Harris/Blake Cashman/Micah McFadden
DB - Kyle Hamilton/Jevon Holland/Reed Blankenship/Kyle Dugger/Dax Hill/Jalen Thompson/Amani Hooker
IR -
TS - Isaiah Likely/Isaiah Spiller/Xavier Gipson

2024 Draft picks - 1st (x2), 2nd (x4), 3rd, 4th
2025 Draft picks - 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th

IR1
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby IR1 » Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:41 am

Any player updates now that we've had training camp and a preseason game? Anybody standing out?
10Team PPR-QB/RB/WR/WR/TE/PK/flex-DT/DE/DE/LB/LB/LB/CB/CB/S/S/flex
QB- Herbert, Tua
RB- Barkley, Swift, Montgomery, Dobbins, Walker
WR-Adams, ARSB, JWilliams, Godwin, Metcalf, Allen, Kirk, Flowers
TE- Kelce, Goedert
PK
DT- Buckner, Simmons, QWilliams,
DE- Hunter, JBosa, Thibodeaux, JPHillips, Rousseau, Paye, Greenard
LB- Edmunds, Warner, E Kendricks, Wagner, De"Vondre Campbell, Asamoah, Sanders
CB- Moore, Howard, Reed
S- Dugger, Pitre, Thompson
IR Dobbins, Dulcich
Taxi- Kincaid, QJohnston

Buster05
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Buster05 » Wed Aug 16, 2023 6:22 pm

Ive got one, which Jaguars 2nd year LB will be the guy next to Oloukon? Lloyd or Muma? Anyone has insight on this?
10 Team Dynasty IDP
QB: Lawrence, Fields, Howell
RB: Mixon, Ekeler, Javonte Williams, K. Herbert, Brown, Mitchell
WR: Olave, Higgins, Waddle, Godwin, Collins, Ridley, Q. Johnson
TE: Mcbride, Goedert, Schultz
K: Moody
DL:N. Bosa, Burns, Gary, Anderson Jr.
LB: Q. Walker, P. Werner, K. Eliss, E. Jones, Speed, Dean
DB: Dugger, Brisker, D. Hill, Battle

Sinatra's Liver
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby Sinatra's Liver » Thu Aug 17, 2023 11:15 am

And, which LB do we believe in more - Christian Harris or Brian Asamoah? I'm going to have to cut one and Taxi the other. I'm just trying to figure out which one gets the axe.
10 Team, PPR, 1QB, 1RB, 1WR, 1TE, 2 Flex, 1K, 4 IDPs - Best Ball
QB: Lawrence, Watson, Richardson, Carr
RB: Barkley, KW3, JavWilliams, Pollard, Dillon, Charb, Abanikanda, Rodriguez
WR: Lamb, AJBrown, Dotson, JSN, M Evans, Watson, JPalmer
TE: Andrews, Goedert, Kmet
K: Butker, Hopkins, Aubrey
DE: Gary, J Phillips, Rousseau, Wilkins
LB: Wagner, DevWhite, Roquan, E Jones, Nakobe, DevLloyd, CHarris, Dennis
DB: Derwin J, Brisker, Pitre, Hamilton

Picks: #4, #7, #11, #13, #17

lukkynumber13
GOAT
GOAT

Postby lukkynumber13 » Thu Aug 17, 2023 11:29 pm

Sinatra's Liver wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 11:15 am And, which LB do we believe in more - Christian Harris or Brian Asamoah? I'm going to have to cut one and Taxi the other. I'm just trying to figure out which one gets the axe.
If it’s a shallow enough league that this is a decision, I taxi BA & cut Harris. Houston has 5 different ILBs that could get starting time and it wouldn’t surprise me. Minny has only Hicks & Asamoah.

That being said, if the league is this shallow it doesn’t really matter. Cut whoever you want and the stakes remain low
TEAM A - 12T (22 R/U, 20 R/U, 19 R/U, 18 Champ, 17 R/U)
HERBERT, Baker
BIJAN/KAMARA/MIXON, A Jones
HILL/AJB/DK/G WILSON/D Adams, Pittman, Z Flowers, Evans
KITTLE
/
TEAM B - 16T, SF, TEP (22 R/U)
HURTS/MINSHEW, Cousins, D Jones
JT/JACOBS, Mostert, Gus E
HILL/MCLAURIN/DEEBO
KELCE/KITTLE, LaPorta
/
TEAM C - 14T, SF (Joined in 22)
GENO
HENRY/A JONES, Gus E
HILL/DIGGS/K ALLEN
WALLER
/
TEAM D - 14T, 1QB (Joined in 22)
MAHOMES, Goff
BIJAN/BREECE/POLLARD
CHASE/DIGGS/G WILSON/AIYUK, DJM, Pittman
KITTLE, Goedert
/
TEAM E - 14T, SF, 2TE (Started in 22)
MAHOMES/T-LAW, Carr
BIJAN/CMC/SAQUON/POLLARD, Hall
HILL/AIYUK/EVANS/GODWIN, Hollywood, Thielen
MCBRIDE/ENGRAM, Goedert, Chig
/
TEAM F - 16T (Joined in 23)
R WILSON, Minshew
SAQUON/KAMARA/MIXON, Monty
DIGGS/GODWIN/AIYUK/EVANS, Thielen, A Cooper
KELCE, Schultz
/
TEAM G - 12T, SF & TEP (Joined in 23)
HERBERT/TUA, Kyler
BIJAN/MIXON, Spears, J Warren
JJ/G WILSON/WADDLE/OLAVE, Godwin, J Reed
LAPORTA

stick3925
Rookie
Rookie

Postby stick3925 » Fri Aug 18, 2023 4:04 am

lukkynumber13 wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 11:29 pm
Sinatra's Liver wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 11:15 am And, which LB do we believe in more - Christian Harris or Brian Asamoah? I'm going to have to cut one and Taxi the other. I'm just trying to figure out which one gets the axe.
If it’s a shallow enough league that this is a decision, I taxi BA & cut Harris. Houston has 5 different ILBs that could get starting time and it wouldn’t surprise me. Minny has only Hicks & Asamoah.

That being said, if the league is this shallow it doesn’t really matter. Cut whoever you want and the stakes remain low
I agree with Lukky on keeping BA over Harris but I think its very close and needs to be mentioned that Vikings undrafted rookie Ivan Pace sounds like he is actually going to be challenging for playing time out of the gate so it's not "only Hicks & Asamoah" in Minny.

Menace2010
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Menace2010 » Fri Aug 18, 2023 11:56 am

Lloyd going to bounce back based on everything I've read. He's had a good off season. Think Harris has one spot locked down, all the other LBs are competing for the other spot, if he's wearing the green dot, I'd prefer him to BA personally.

Space Cowboy
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Space Cowboy » Sat Aug 19, 2023 11:51 am

Bernard is still a good mention. It’s him vs Dodson from what I’ve read with the Tulane rookie in the distance.

Clark is a good mention. Maybe Neal drops down to LB? Overshown has looked good and then there’s Cox still lingering.

As for Loyd I can’t imagine Moma is overtaking without him falling flat on his face.

Sinatra's Liver
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby Sinatra's Liver » Mon Aug 21, 2023 9:48 pm

I traded Asamoah and Devin Lloyd for Nakobe Dean and Ernest Jones. I'll taxi Harris and hope that Ryans turns him into a good/great MLB.
10 Team, PPR, 1QB, 1RB, 1WR, 1TE, 2 Flex, 1K, 4 IDPs - Best Ball
QB: Lawrence, Watson, Richardson, Carr
RB: Barkley, KW3, JavWilliams, Pollard, Dillon, Charb, Abanikanda, Rodriguez
WR: Lamb, AJBrown, Dotson, JSN, M Evans, Watson, JPalmer
TE: Andrews, Goedert, Kmet
K: Butker, Hopkins, Aubrey
DE: Gary, J Phillips, Rousseau, Wilkins
LB: Wagner, DevWhite, Roquan, E Jones, Nakobe, DevLloyd, CHarris, Dennis
DB: Derwin J, Brisker, Pitre, Hamilton

Picks: #4, #7, #11, #13, #17